Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

Just a heads up to our lovely guests: "kids eat free" does not translate to "the entire soccer team eats free while one adult eats a $2 side item"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!

silversiren posted:

Hours are being cut for summer. I asked for full time and I end up with 14 hours next week. Pretty soon I won't even be able to afford to fill up my car.

I was working 30 hours a week while I was going to school full-time, and now that the semester's over I've been cut to 20 hours a week.

I was supposed to have a full-time internship over the summer that paid more per hour than my retail job does, but they ended up not getting the funding for an intern at the last minute. So I hadn't even started applying for a second part-time since I thought I'd be all set for the summer. I am not going to be able to pay my rent and bills now. :(

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean
I counted how many people said something along the lines of 'You too' the other night when I said 'Have a nice night'.

16. Out of about 500 customers. God drat, I didn't think it was that bad. The most common response, by far, though, was 'Thanks'. Kinda shows that they really couldn't give a crap about us retail monkeys.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Thanks is still better than *click* surely?

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean

rolleyes posted:

Thanks is still better than *click* surely?

Oh, I got plenty of people who just walked away, which is worse, aye, but still.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Heh, I just realised I got this thread muddled up with the call centre one, hence the "*click*" reference. Yeah that's a bit different, and drat it's cold to just plain blank an actual person in front of you wishing you well.

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

rolleyes posted:

Heh, I just realised I got this thread muddled up with the call centre one, hence the "*click*" reference. Yeah that's a bit different, and drat it's cold to just plain blank an actual person in front of you wishing you well.

Well, yeah. I assumed so, and to offset the few of frankly awesome customers I have, there are a number of assholes around.

Joonami
Oct 23, 2005

Swim this way
We'll dance and we'll play
Now, it's very easy
Come on in
Just take a chance and shake a fin~
I dealt with a customer yesterday that I was reminded of by your "survey." She didn't respond at all when she was greeted (though that's not that uncommon, unfortunately) and the only thing she said when I was ringing her out was "DEBIT!" and completely ignored my "how are you" "total is x" and "do you want a bag?" People like that make me so loving angry, you could at least grunt or SOMETHING instead of act like a stuck up oval office. You're buying pet perfume in Elkton loving Maryland, you have nothing to be stuck up about. :colbert:

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Joonami posted:

I dealt with a customer yesterday that I was reminded of by your "survey." She didn't respond at all when she was greeted (though that's not that uncommon, unfortunately) and the only thing she said when I was ringing her out was "DEBIT!" and completely ignored my "how are you" "total is x" and "do you want a bag?" People like that make me so loving angry, you could at least grunt or SOMETHING instead of act like a stuck up oval office. You're buying pet perfume in Elkton loving Maryland, you have nothing to be stuck up about. :colbert:

Just think that there are probably people this person is going home to that have to deal with it every day.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Luquos posted:

I counted how many people said something along the lines of 'You too' the other night when I said 'Have a nice night'.

16. Out of about 500 customers. God drat, I didn't think it was that bad. The most common response, by far, though, was 'Thanks'. Kinda shows that they really couldn't give a crap about us retail monkeys.

I was taught it's is common courtesy to respond back. drat people.

Apocalypse Please
May 7, 2007

Is you takin' notes on a criminal fuckin' conspiracy?!

drat Bananas posted:

Thanks homeless poster for the advice about my interview, I had it today. I walked in with my little paper full of warm fuzzy ideas for the department I wanted to supervise and he basically gave me a "that's nice, but tell me more about your time with the company and schooling" to which I explained my situation. He told me that department supervisor is not a "bachelors job" and will not pay student loans, but if I give him my resume he will pass it on to their manager training program in the area and I could end up in the same position he is. Half of me thinks that's great, a SALARY!! but the other half of me does not want to be in retail any longer than necessary. I guess I could always go through with it while keeping an eye out in my barren wasteland field, and put in 2 weeks if I find something, but that still seems kind of lovely to do. :/

Just got my response from the same type of situation. A couple managers invite me into the office to talk and describe that instead of giving me one of the 3 (!!) open supervisor positions (massive turnover at this store), they'll do me a favor and maybe make me a sales lead in the mobile phone department if I apply *winkwink nudge*. Considering I didn't even apply for that department, it's kinda weird. It's kind of a stepping stone towards what I was applying for.

I appreciate them offering that at least, but it's pretty disappointing being told that at 24 years old with a business degree that I'm not competent enough to manage a retail store video game department that has a total of probably 5 employees in peak season.

They did say that basically all the new supervisors were going to be current employees, so that's actually way better than what I was expecting.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
So I ROI'd for customer service the other day, which is front desk and back office work. I mentioned here yesterday how my hours were cut and the other CS people normally work 40+ hours a week. I'm very very very very desperate for full time. I talked with my manager a few weeks ago and let him know my home situation and personal reasons for NEEDING full time and he said he'd do anything to help. But he hasn't. And I know for a fact he's helped others in situations similar to mine by giving them full time.
How should I bring up my need for full time? How should I word it so that I sound in desperate need without sounding desperate? My home situation has gotten worse and I need out badly. I even found an affordable place in a nice part of town but i'd need full time. Also I don't mind transferring stores, is that something I can take care of on my own, calling up other stores and asking about full time positions or should I leave that up to management?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

silversiren posted:

So I ROI'd for customer service the other day, which is front desk and back office work. I mentioned here yesterday how my hours were cut and the other CS people normally work 40+ hours a week. I'm very very very very desperate for full time. I talked with my manager a few weeks ago and let him know my home situation and personal reasons for NEEDING full time and he said he'd do anything to help. But he hasn't. And I know for a fact he's helped others in situations similar to mine by giving them full time.
How should I bring up my need for full time? How should I word it so that I sound in desperate need without sounding desperate? My home situation has gotten worse and I need out badly. I even found an affordable place in a nice part of town but i'd need full time. Also I don't mind transferring stores, is that something I can take care of on my own, calling up other stores and asking about full time positions or should I leave that up to management?

It depends on the people involved, but if the manager keeps screwing you, consider going above his head to his supervisor.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

drat Bananas posted:

Thanks homeless poster for the advice about my interview, I had it today. I walked in with my little paper full of warm fuzzy ideas for the department I wanted to supervise and he basically gave me a "that's nice, but tell me more about your time with the company and schooling" to which I explained my situation. He told me that department supervisor is not a "bachelors job" and will not pay student loans, but if I give him my resume he will pass it on to their manager training program in the area and I could end up in the same position he is. Half of me thinks that's great, a SALARY!! but the other half of me does not want to be in retail any longer than necessary. I guess I could always go through with it while keeping an eye out in my barren wasteland field, and put in 2 weeks if I find something, but that still seems kind of lovely to do. :/

Boy I'm not sure if I sabotaged you there or not, but I sincerely hope not. I guess I can only state that my experiences were valid within the context of the company I worked for.

As far as retail management goes though, it's usually not as sweet a deal as it sounds. You're salaried, but all that means is that now when they work you 60+ hour weeks, you're not banking any overtime, and now the target on your back is even bigger if your department / store doesn't meet whatever imaginary goals that corporate expects you to. I would definitely recommend keeping your options open, and if something better comes along, don't even worry about giving two weeks notice, just get the hell out.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

homeless poster posted:

Boy I'm not sure if I sabotaged you there or not, but I sincerely hope not. I guess I can only state that my experiences were valid within the context of the company I worked for.

As far as retail management goes though, it's usually not as sweet a deal as it sounds. You're salaried, but all that means is that now when they work you 60+ hour weeks, you're not banking any overtime, and now the target on your back is even bigger if your department / store doesn't meet whatever imaginary goals that corporate expects you to. I would definitely recommend keeping your options open, and if something better comes along, don't even worry about giving two weeks notice, just get the hell out.

No you didn't sabotage me, he already had his mind made up before I interviewed apparently. He gave it to the lady who was originally an area supervisor but had to drop it due to family issues, and she applied to this position that was originally below her... no brainer. And in no way am I planning on making it a career. I'm just making $8.10/hr as a college grad and can't find anything to apply to, let alone interview for or get. And a bone was thrown soooooo I would absolutely love a placeholder salary for the next little while. :shobon:

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
If one more old fart comes over to me and bitches about how everything is "so expensive" I'm going to blow up. This isn't the 1950s anymore. poo poo has gone up in price. Thread is not going to cost 10 cents.

Seriously, people come in and say how when THEY WERE MY AGE, buttons cost a penny! Sewing thread cost 50 cents! Yarn was $2! They're probably like 100, too.

Edit: In other news, I got a second raise. I got one in October and my boss has been liking how I've been working so she gave me another 50 cent raise. $9/hour, most I've ever made in my life...

Invis
Apr 26, 2010
Well, tonight was my final shift at the liquor store yay! I have another job that I'll start on Tuesday, it's basically telemarketing but I'm not selling anything and don't have to get any credit card details and such. A better wage + bonuses, free wine and pizza on friday nights, free gym membership, discounted parking (it's in the city), sounds great but I guess I'll see on Tuesday! To all you retail folk out there: Good luck and goonspeed!

Invis fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 21, 2011

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Do servers post in this thread too? I was at a hibachi place last night and the waitress accidentally dumped a full beer on me (not "ahh it splashed me as it hit the floor!" but full on down my shoulder and into my lap) and while she apologized and got napkins to clean it up off the floor (I guess my own napkin was good enough to get all of me) I feel like it's standard for them to offer you something free so you don't go off hating that restaurant. Got nothing, wasn't sure how rude it would be to ask. She was pretty much a mess anyway, since we were the last couple seated she had already taken drink orders and we weren't able to order ours until she took food orders from everyone, she gave everyone but my boyfriend their soup and had to be reminded twice, gave me my desert but no utensil (and when I asked for two to split it with the bf she only brought one)... I didn't want to get her in trouble by bringing it up to anyone, and at the same time we weren't sure if the tip on the bill goes to her or the cook (who was great) so ehhh. wwjd?

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

Shnooks posted:

If one more old fart comes over to me and bitches about how everything is "so expensive" I'm going to blow up. This isn't the 1950s anymore. poo poo has gone up in price. Thread is not going to cost 10 cents.

Seriously, people come in and say how when THEY WERE MY AGE, buttons cost a penny! Sewing thread cost 50 cents! Yarn was $2! They're probably like 100, too.

God drat, I feel your pain there. It seems like every other day someone drops several kilos of stuff at my till, asks for the total, yells, "I'M NOT PAYING THAT AND I'M NEVER COMING HERE AGAIN!" and storms out. Where the gently caress are these people happy to shop? Are there packs of grumpy old women foraging in the woods for penny sweets now?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

drat Bananas posted:

No you didn't sabotage me, he already had his mind made up before I interviewed apparently.

That was the kind of poo poo that would drive me up a wall. I'm an adult and I understand that not everything is always going to be fair, but couldn't people at least act like they're seriously considering all potential applicants? Or just loving tell me up front, when the interview starts, that I'm not going to be seriously considered.

I wish there was some way to create more transparency, or involve a more neutral oversight person, because fake interviews are the worst thing ever.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

homeless poster posted:

I wish there was some way to create more transparency, or involve a more neutral oversight person, because fake interviews are the worst thing ever.

Absolutely right, they are total bullshit. I interviewed for a really good job, I fit the ideal applicant stuff perfectly and had a really good interview. Afterwards I was told that although I would've been the ideal candidate they were only ever going to hire internally, they just had to advertise the position to the public because of some regulation or something.

Sure, advertise it all you want, but actually calling people in for interviews? Fark orf.

Death Bear
Apr 1, 2010
I just about reached my breaking point today.

My ASM came in at 1 and said she needed to talk to me. Earlier this week my manager had given us a project -- basically a bunch of lists of books to pull, mark down, put on a cart, and make a sign advertising the discount. The ASM and I had each taken a list and started pulling the books. I had taken the list that was nothing but kids' books, which I thought was going to be quick and easy, giving me time to make the sign. (My manager is a bit obsessive about having signs for EVERYTHING, and I always end up being the person to make them in a program so old it uses Shockwave. :smith:)

The list was NOT quick nor easy. Many books were mislabeled, titles were cut off, and thanks to the way we input ISBNs for our bargain books, I can't even look them up by ISBN online to get the right title or a picture of the cover. I spent a good three hours finishing up a pull list of maybe twenty titles. When both of us were done with our single lists, the cart was full. It was about 8:30 by this time, so I had no time to make the sign. I just figured someone would get it the next day.

My ASM's talk was how my manager was upset that we didn't finish the rest of the lists and didn't make the sign. Despite the fact that the cart was full already and we only had one to put the stuff on, we should have pulled everything from every single list in one night. But she was very upset with me because I didn't make a stupid sign, and she didn't even have the spine to tell me herself.

She lets everyone else's stupid mistakes slide. We have a woman working for us who has been there for over a year and she's STILL making stupid mistakes when she shelves new books! A few of us have complained about her multiple times, but does my manager do anything? No. Another woman refuses to straighten her assigned sections to the point where customers are actually complaining. We won't do them for her (we've got our own to worry about, we aren't cleaning up after her) and we've told the manager this, yet she won't make her go clean up her goddamn sections. She refuses to enforce this stuff, but I get singled out over not having time to make a sign?

I'm reaching a point where I just can't bring myself to care anymore. I've been at this store for almost four years. I haven't had a raise in almost three, yet the owners are wealthy enough to buy a Porche. My manager won't ask for raises either, at least not in a direct way. At this point I'll even take another part-time retail job just to get away from this outfit. I can't believe I've worked for this company for six years :suicide:

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
The grocery store I'm currently at is the worst store to be at in our city. I ended up having to swap stores with the person who was there first because he really pissed off the top guy in charge of all 120 stores for the department. That pissed me off because me (the assistant) and the manager went through a lot of blood and tears to get a good crew set only to be ripped from them.

Well, the crew wasn't quite perfect, but close and besides the one problem maker everybody got along.

Fast forward 1 year, I found out yesterday that one problem maker is going get swapped for one of the good guys from my store because we can handle shittier employees due to it being a low volume store.

So on top of having a fairly lovely crew and a really lovely boss, it's going to get shittier. I get to suffer because I'm an honest hard worker and have to put up with the bullshit I didn't create yet the guy I had to swap with is going to have a field day.

What makes the situation more frustrating is that the person we're getting was a manager for the department in the past. He knows drat well the expectations of him and everybody else, yet he still does a crap job. He should be thankful because he gets paid more to do less than newer hired employees plus is guaranteed full time unlike new hires, yet some reason he has no motivation. To see people in his position do so poorly is a big slap in the face to everyone.

ijii fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 22, 2011

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

Girl with mono continued to work without telling anyone for about a month. She let it slip about three weeks ago, after getting half of the servers (and management) sick. I've had it before and didn't think it was a huge deal, but now I've got pneumonia and can't work for a few days at a really financially craptacular time (well, when is it not?) Thanks, co-worker!

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.

MAO TSE-TUNGACUNT posted:

Girl with mono continued to work without telling anyone for about a month. She let it slip about three weeks ago, after getting half of the servers (and management) sick. I've had it before and didn't think it was a huge deal, but now I've got pneumonia and can't work for a few days at a really financially craptacular time (well, when is it not?) Thanks, co-worker!

I don't agree with her decision, but if she needed the money, could you give up a month of work without pay like that? Even worker's comp is only, what, 1/3 of pay?

threnody_grey
Jun 27, 2010
So our GM - who made great schedules and took our time off requests into consideration when she was only a lowly shift leader - has been scheduling us in retarded ways for the last couple of months. AM said to her Thursday, "So what you're saying is I've got no desk person, one server, and now, no cook?" GM's response, "Yeah, but that server is Thren, so you'll be fine."

But today...G-dammit! We had 12, possibly 13 (the last one the person had only given their name, not the kid's name, age, or even how many people were showing for the drat thing and I left after MY last party was over, so I don't know if they even showed up), birthday parties scheduled. In addition, we had a group of 35 and a church group of 40 (thankfully, only 11 of them showed up) scheduled. This would require a desk person to keep track of which lanes we could give regular customers and a cook to, well, COOK, right? Apparently not, since we didn't have either.

On top of that, a couple weeks ago, we had an early morning meeting with the RM. And it seems like almost everyone who spoke up in the meeting has had their hours cut. I went from 32 to 20 to 13 for next week. And 8 of next week's hours are on a day that I asked for - and had gotten approval for - off!

gently caress this soul-crushing, piece-of-poo poo job.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

MAO TSE-TUNGACUNT posted:

I remember when I was in high school kids (usually girls) having Mono (or Pfeiffer's disease as it's known here).

It wasn't that big a deal, you just had to avoid kissing those girls. :v:

Is there like a second, more infectious mono or something?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

TShields posted:

I don't agree with her decision, but if she needed the money, could you give up a month of work without pay like that? Even worker's comp is only, what, 1/3 of pay?

Yes this is excellent for this reason you should not be upset at all or believe that it was an incorrect action for another human being to knowingly and deliberately expose you to an infectious disease.

edit: whatever is going on, she apparently infected plenty of MAO's coworkers. Really, people, we're all adults. We all get that you're a wage slave working in pretty bad conditions and can't afford to miss work. Guess what, everyone else is in the same boat, congratulations on loving over plenty of other people by trying to avoid the very thing you're now requiring them to do.

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 09:40 on May 22, 2011

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

spankmeister posted:

Is there like a second, more infectious mono or something?

There are strains that make you not only highly infectious but extremely ill - a girl at my school was home for nearly a month with glandular fever because she was highly contagious and could barely leave her room. While you most likely won't die of it, you'll certainly feel rather nasty.

Pretty sure part of the reason why Ian Thorpe retired from the competitive swimming circuit was because he'd been diagnosed with a particularly nasty type of glandular fever that will never go away and can resurface at any time.

LonsomeSon posted:

Yes this is excellent for this reason you should not be upset at all or believe that it was an incorrect action for another human being to knowingly and deliberately expose you to an infectious disease.

edit: whatever is going on, she apparently infected plenty of MAO's coworkers. Really, people, we're all adults. We all get that you're a wage slave working in pretty bad conditions and can't afford to miss work. Guess what, everyone else is in the same boat, congratulations on loving over plenty of other people by trying to avoid the very thing you're now requiring them to do.

Retail jobs can put people in a situation where their choices are either not going to work and being unable to meet their financial obligations, or going to work and potentially infecting the people around them. When somebody desperately needs the money, the answer is always going to be "screw you got mine! :downs:" or "I need the money and this job far too much to even consider taking any more time off :(".

Also, some people can feel perfectly fine despite having glandular fever/influenza/zombie rabies and not realising they are highly infectious to everyone around them.

In fact, one day a few years back the manager from my retail job called me up asking me to work. I told them no because I was recovering from illness, and they said 'well you sound perfectly fine', completely missing the point that my job involved food handling and I'd rather not become responsible for somebody else catching whatever nasty bug I had caught. To force them to stop calling me in to work when they knew I was too sick, I had to go to the doctors and get a note stating I was too contagious to go in, despite the terms of my employment meaning I could call off any time for no reason whatsoever providing I gave them at least an hours notice.

froglet fucked around with this message at 11:00 on May 22, 2011

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I'd be hesitant to take a month off work. That pretty much makes you the first person on the reduced hours list when you come back.

It's not that anybody really wants the "gently caress you got mine" attitude. It's that you get crushed if you can't do it.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

The General posted:

I'd be hesitant to take a month off work. That pretty much makes you the first person on the reduced hours list when you come back.

It's not that anybody really wants the "gently caress you got mine" attitude. It's that you get crushed if you can't do it.

I completely understand this. What I was trying to say (poorly) is that the blame shouldn't completely lie with the person who felt compelled to come into work, it's also to do with the systems in place that make it almost necessary to come in to work despite being considered 'too ill' by coworkers, customers and the employee themselves.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah it sucks for you guys that you don't get paid when you are sick.

Here employers are obligated by law to pay you a full wage when you are sick. Only the first sick day is without pay (to stop people from calling in sick to get one day off).

Im not sure on the particulars but of course this will not go on forever, there is a limit to it. But still. Sick for a month? No problem.

Socialism, it's good for you. :v:

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

spankmeister posted:

Yeah it sucks for you guys that you don't get paid when you are sick.

Here employers are obligated by law to pay you a full wage when you are sick. Only the first sick day is without pay (to stop people from calling in sick to get one day off).

Im not sure on the particulars but of course this will not go on forever, there is a limit to it. But still. Sick for a month? No problem.

Socialism, it's good for you. :v:

I think when I was in Ireland the employer paid for the first 2 weeks and then the state took over after that.

Of course the whole system falls apart when people can't afford to go to the doctor to get their illness/injuries verified!

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

froglet posted:

Retail jobs can put people in a situation where their choices are either not going to work and being unable to meet their financial obligations, or going to work and potentially infecting the people around them. When somebody desperately needs the money, the answer is always going to be "screw you got mine! :downs:" or "I need the money and this job far too much to even consider taking any more time off :(".

Also, some people can feel perfectly fine despite having glandular fever/influenza/zombie rabies and not realising they are highly infectious to everyone around them.

In fact, one day a few years back the manager from my retail job called me up asking me to work. I told them no because I was recovering from illness, and they said 'well you sound perfectly fine', completely missing the point that my job involved food handling and I'd rather not become responsible for somebody else catching whatever nasty bug I had caught. To force them to stop calling me in to work when they knew I was too sick, I had to go to the doctors and get a note stating I was too contagious to go in, despite the terms of my employment meaning I could call off any time for no reason whatsoever providing I gave them at least an hours notice.

Ah this is what I love about the retail world, in that they treat you like a perpetuate child. I remember a few years ago, while I was still attending University, I came down with what had to be swine flu. I had just gotten off of class, and began feeling really sick. Now I've been sick before, and as a student full time who was also working about 25hours a week in grocery, I had always pushed through it. This time was different, this time I was so sick couldn't even move out of my bed.

At first I called the school clinic, but after telling them my symptoms I was told to not even bother coming in, and to stay home in rest. This, as I mentioned before, was at the height of the swine-flu scare and it was University policy that those who thought they might have it should stay in their rooms, less we spread the disease.
I had about 9 hours until my next shift, so I figured I should call my supervisor to let them know I had the flu and couldn't come in, doctors orders. I called and unfortunately it was my rear end in a top hat assistant manager who picked up the phone. Oh and background, up until this time, with over a year and a half with the company, I had NEVER called out or been late to work.

:byodame: "Thank you for calling local grocer, this is rear end in a top hat manager speaking

:( "Hey this is Solaris, I'm really not feeling well today and was told by the school nurse to stay home, so I don't think I can come in"

:byodame: "You don't think? Solaris, it's Friday, we need you. Unless you can provide a doctors note, you have to come in.

:( "but the nurse's office is already closed (its late Friday afternoon at this point)

:byodame: "Then I guess we'll see you at 5 :)

So with that, I popped in 4 advil and chugged Orange Juice and dragged my sick rear end into work - keeping in mind that I work around food in a goddamn grocery store. Of course, as soon as I get there, my other manager sees me and remarks "wow Solaris, you look awful." but then proceeded to give me my assignment for the night. Oh and the kicker? They wouldn't let me leave early due to TOO MANY CALL OUTS. Because, you know, they hire college students and they all want to party on Friday nights.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Because, you know, they hire college students and they all want to party on Friday nights.

The fun thing is that your dick management likely gave them the okay because they're best buds.

I can't help but imagine, though, that you could potentially get your employer in poo poo for making you work while sick, while also being at the height of H1N1 spreading, AND having you also work around food at the same time. That, to me, is like if a company ignored the recent (if I recall correctly) restriction of serving shellfish due to the oil spill, with the excuse of "WE HAVE TO SERVE THE CUSTOMER AND THE CUSTOMER WANTS IT :saddowns:".

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
Seconding the whole work while sick bit. I lost my voice for two days last week and probably have bronchitis but I can't call out because there is literally no one to cover my shift. I get told "don't come to work sounding like that and don't tell customers you're sick". Yeeahh. Of course there is also the drama surrounding getting me one day off a week..i've had two days off since March 27th. The last two Saturdays. It looks as if this week will be my last for the forseeable future due to the only people capable of doing my job not wanting to work 6 days and being pissed about having to cover me. It's bullshit but the pay's decent and for the most part I enjoy my job and like my boss.

No one should work while they are sick, but the majority of us have no choice due to whatever circumstances. It's retarded but hey just tell your customers you have allergies. Ugghh

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

I've been asked to come in and cover other people's shifts despite being ill because our shop is so small that just one person not showing up really screws everyone else over. It's stupid, but either I wash my hands constantly and hope for the best or everyone else gets yelled at for the slow service.

Today:

:byodame: The sign says this is vegetarian.
:j: Yes, it is.
:byodame: So there's no dairy in it?
:j: No, it's made with milk and butter.
:byodame: But I need it to be vegetarian!
:j: ...Do you mean vegan? I'm sorry, it's just vegetarian, not vegan.
:byodame: Your sign is lying!

Why would you be looking for vegan food if you don't even know what it is?

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

To be fair, I'm more pissed at the system than at my coworker, but taking a few days off instead of "but I've never been contagious, y'all!" when some of your coworkers are pregnant and/or immunocompromised doesn't seem like that big a deal seeing as how she only works 2 or 3 days a week. Plus, I'm freaking out over my own financial crap and likely taking it out on this situation.

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

Advantage of working food service. If I'm sick, then by god, they will not let me in there. Not that I'd want to.

Luquos fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
I spoke with my manager again yesterday about my NEED for full-time. I told him the reason I needed full time wasn't extra playing around money, it was because the conditions in my home were making it to where I could no longer live here. I'm desperate at this point; I even took on a second shift today to hope that they'd see how much I needed this. It was only a 3 1/2 hour shift which puts me up to 18 hours this week. It definitely wasn't worth the time I spent working with shitbag pieces of poo poo lovely poo poo customers and my back and shoulders are hurting so bad I feel like crying, and it really wasn't that much money either, but I don't know what else to do to convince them I need full time.
He's helped other people out before, I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I just need help and no one's giving it.