Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
As of Mr. Despair's post the vote count is as follows:

A- 6
B- 1
C- 4
D- 7
E- 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capskye
Nov 4, 2009

More bullets!
I'm not really all that familiar with the actual timeline/history, but I agree that Choice A sounds intriguing. I'll toss my vote in for that one.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

GhostStalker posted:

a Dr. Banzai with the Helm Memory Core will be all sorts of hilarious.

A

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

I know nothing about Battletech and don't know what most of these words mean, so I'll vote D.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
D. Morgan Kell and Melissa Steiner deserve their own base.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
A million times A. Upgrades for everyone!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I want to say A, and I think that one's gonna win regardless, but I look at the House Davion patch that I bought at the Chicago Battletech Center (may it rest in peace) so long ago, and I'm going to vote with my heart.

C

Sword and Sunburst forever!

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
This vote is making me deeply soul-search.

I know everyone expects me to vote E. And frankly, the idea of a Steiner Family Reunion as Viper bondsmen makes me cackle like a hyena that just found a dead wildebeest. And yet... I cannot in good conscience do so. Why? Because Aldo Lestrade Must Die. I can countenance no option that has the strong possibility of solidifying his hold on power as E and the destruction of the hounds and banzai and capture of Melissa does.

At the same time, I do not accept C. It is too much like the canon timeline, and I am in this for massive changes and awesomeness and forcing PTN to bendy-straw to avoid retreading too much ground does not sound like a good time to me. That leaves A, B, and D. I do not like B; the Heimdall base is probably compromised, and Lestrade capturing Melissa is not a starter. D I dislike, simply because throwing everything into the Capellan pot seems to be overkill. That leaves me with my choice:

A. Helm in the Free Worlds’ League.

Give Dr. Banzai the Helm Core. Comstar is too busy to suppress it. The Kell Hounds and Team Banzai with fully Lostech upgraded battlemechs will beat the living poo poo out of Lestrade's forces, and then be a match for the Clans.

(But Muk? Why are you, a Steel Viper patriot, arguing for that? My answer: Have you been paying attention? The stronger the challenge, the greater the glory when it is overcome. Vote A. It is the best path to awesome fights in the future and off the hook political intrigue.)

*Votes as of mine:

A- 10
B- 1
C- 5
D- 9
E- 3

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 22, 2011

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Taerkar posted:

Gonna throw my vote in for E because seriously, Dr. Banzai with the core. So Helm then New Avalon.

E is the clanners, did you mean to vote A? I know next to nothing about canon, but after a brief perusal of sarna.net told me that Dr. Banzai is in fact named after Buckaroo and his team is responsible for the Hatchetman, I don't see how anything but giving him as much Lostech as possible to dink around with is even an option. A.

Second choice would be D because that might get them more immediate tech and materiel, but giving the dude the manual for everything seems like the better option in the long run.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Gonna throw in with A for the chance of giving Doc Banzai the Helm Core and watching the potential ComStar clean-up/suppression attempt aimed at "mere pirates" meet elements from two friggin' elite units.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Octatonic posted:

That's what I meant. They don't exist in this universe! Sure, the Widowmakers can have a cluster or something classified as dragoons or something, but you don't have Wolf's Dragoons: the political superpower of a mercenary unit that changes Combine doctrine forever and brings everyone to Outreach to shut up and actually fight the Clans.
There's always the chance we might randomly find ourselves killing Star Colonel Jamie Wolf, or something like that.

Anyway, on the basis that deviating as far as possible from canon events and important areas is the best course possible, let's go with B.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Mukaikubo posted:

The stronger the challenge, the greater the glory when it's overcome.

You have besmirched your honor by using Freebirth grammar! :argh:

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Polaron posted:

You have besmirched your honor by using Freebirth grammar! :argh:

:negative: I will correct it. I stand ashamed before you all.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Going with A, Helm. Because why not?

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Mukaikubo posted:

:negative: I will correct it. I stand ashamed before you all.

Such a taint on your honor shall be cleansed, provided you survive frontline battle in a Hunchback IIC.

Edit:
As of Trast's post, the revised standings:
A- 15
B- 2
C- 5
D- 9
E- 3

landcollector fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 22, 2011

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Go to Helm. The Inner Sphere needs that memory core. It needs that cache of Star League era machinery. It needs every advantage it can get.

Unfortunately the Helm core doesn't have the Royal stuff in it, but we'll take what we can get.

A

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Everyone loves upgrades. I'm voting A. Go to Helm, unleash the knowledge upon the galaxy in the form of Lostech firepower.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

MJ12 posted:

Unfortunately the Helm core doesn't have the Royal stuff in it, but we'll take what we can get.

All we really need is an arbitrarily large supply of Flashman-8Ks and the war will win itself.

JoaoLangston
Jul 24, 2006
Dr. Banzai? Helm Core?

A has my vote

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
VOTING A.

While a big part of me wants to vote E so the Clans always have a Kell in them with the added hilarity of Salome Ward there as well, I like the idea of Melissa Steiner/Kell Hounds/Team Banzai finding a Memory Core along with a poo poo ton of Star League era mechs. Coupled with the regiments already under the Kell/Banzai command, they'd out gun even Wolf's Dragoons in it's heyday.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Capskye posted:

I'm not really all that familiar with the actual timeline/history, but I agree that Choice A sounds intriguing. I'll toss my vote in for that one.

So Dr Banzai is the awesome dude who makes hilarious special edition mechs that range between hilarious and hilariously awesome? Right? The plan is then to get him to unlock some super awesome technology from the old days?

How can I resist?

Choice A

It will also help the Innersphere a heap if he can churn out designs for Gauss rifles and double heatsinks.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

So Dr Banzai is the awesome dude who makes hilarious special edition mechs that range between hilarious and hilariously awesome? Right? The plan is then to get him to unlock some super awesome technology from the old days?

How can I resist?

Choice A

It will also help the Innersphere a heap if he can churn out designs for Gauss rifles and double heatsinks.

With a name like Doctor Banzai why do you think he'd make something as blase as a gauss rifle or double heatsink design?

He'd probably make gauss heatsinks and double rifles or something. Which is even more reason to put him there.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

MJ12 posted:

With a name like Doctor Banzai why do you think he'd make something as blase as a gauss rifle or double heatsink design?

He'd probably make gauss heatsinks and double rifles or something. Which is even more reason to put him there.

Heavy double heatsink laser artillery?

Anyway, sign me up x 5

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

A, because Dr. Banzai with all that delicious lostech = :neckbeard:

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
Based on responses so far, Choice A is easily winning.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

A

Because I don't know who this Dr. Banzai is or what's in the Helm memory core but I can't resist a name like BANZAI.

EDIT: I mean in the game! I don't know what crazy nonsense he's known for as far as technological business is concerned.

Runa fucked around with this message at 09:38 on May 22, 2011

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

D, for the independent base of operations (with a bonus of LosTech).

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Jeez, gently caress, A/D/E. A would be incredible if we're not being pursued and have time to let Dr. Banzai do this thing. E would be pure hilarity. Crusader IS :3:

D would be great too; time to set up a whole planet as a military base! But, then again, A itself is a hardened, massive military complex and if any of it survived then it would be a suitable base of operations although depending on who knows, it might just draw unwanted attention.

I'm going to have to go with A.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
E

Let's see how hard we can break this timeline off even further from cannon.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
B exposes Heimdall to an unsafe degree of risk; C is bound to end up turning the LC into a virtual client-state of the FedSuns, and E has the interesting possibility of bringing Caesar and Melissa together, sure, but I can't see it working out well.

I like D, actually; A is another good choice but I kinda wanna see what happens if the FWL picks up the discovery themselves.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Heavy double heatsink laser artillery?

Anyway, sign me up x 5

I like the way you think, my good Elder God. Put me down for the choice with the fewest votes, because I think I see a pattern developing and I don't want the least popular choice to be left out.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Buckaroo Bonzai takes the Helm?

Voting A

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble
Hmm.... Since we're nowhere near the proper timeline, gently caress Hanse Davion. He can help himself.
Let's got raid the poo poo out of the (helpless, useless, purple) FWL, and go to HELM (option a)

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

E sounds like fun and I can't see how it could backfire :colbert:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

T.G. Xarbala posted:

A

Because I don't know who this Dr. Banzai is or what's in the Helm memory core but I can't resist a name like BANZAI.

You need to go watch yourself some The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
A

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I would love to see House Steiner and the Clans cooperate: However, that seems like more than a little bit of a forlorn hope. Let's go to Helm, and put a memory core in the hands of a technological innovator.

A.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I'm tempted to do C, but in the end, this is a Steiner problem. We don't need to go crawling to another house for their help in fixing our own.

Let's go A, get the equipment we need, and settle this thing.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I hate to jump on a bandwagon, but I feel A is a good choice.

I assure you all that this vote is in no way affected by certain knowledge of future events which I may or may not possess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.
I'm voting D since that just seems plain awesome and I otherwise know nothing about the locations and the groups in this universe. Also, on the off chance that things could somehow go long enough to get to me, sign me up to pilot! I could be playing in a mission alongside Vox!

• Locked thread