Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Which is just as well, given that he's an unfunny, inexplicably smug twat of a failed actor who never brought much to the programme.

I thought he did alright in Nighty Night, though when you think it about it all he did was look and act drunk in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Gasmask posted:

The new series of Comedy Vehicle is pretty great.
I really prefer this format than the last series' format. The sketch (I'd say they're more short films now) at the end of the latest episode was brilliant.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
the bits with Armando Iannucci are great and are on the whole way better than the sketches.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Which is just as well, given that he's an unfunny, inexplicably smug twat...who never brought much to the programme.

This also sums up Ian Hislop 2007-present.

The show's demise is compounded by Paul Merton losing the razor-sharp wit he had up until a few years ago.

le chat
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Britain's Got More Talent is much more enjoyable than the main show, they drop the lovely narratives that the main show seems so insistent on. It drops the laughably false dramatic element. Mulhern is a lot funnier than Ant & Dec and they actually show performances you may be interested in instead of 30-second montages after you just had to endure McIntyre fellating himself and some poor person getting ridiculed for 10 minutes.

Also the edits seem even more blatent and obvious this year with dodgy audio/video cuts of people laughing (or whatever) which are obviously not from the same section/act.

so the less emotionally manipulative and light-hearted version of this lovely talent show is more enjoyable, who would of thought?

le chat fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 21, 2011

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Mickolution posted:

I doubt it would have made any difference. As far as I remember, Hislop and Merton knew he had been up to it before and had told him if it happened again, he had to go. There's no way he could continue on a show like that if there was even a rumour of anything going on.

You can't appear in a show lampooning the news if you are the news. Hislop and Merton have managed to keep themselves pretty much scandal-free, Deayton must have realised it was only a matter of time before he was outed.

Anyway, I still think the show suffers a bit with a constantly changing host. If not Deayton then I would vote for either Alexander Armstrong or Jack Dee as permanent host. I would say Rob Brydon but then he might not be able to continue with the hilarious Would I Lie To You (probably the funniest panel show on TV at the moment).

Paperhouse posted:

the bits with Armando Iannucci are great and are on the whole way better than the sketches.

K.D.Lang - who's let himself go. :)

I thought the first episode was patchy, and the sketch at the end just embarrassing. Fortunately the subsequent ones have been much improved. Still not 100% sure about the sketches though, they just seem to stretch the joke too far (although maybe that's the point).

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Someone post the video of Merton on Parkinson.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Quanta posted:

This also sums up Ian Hislop 2007-present.

I don't think Hislop is even on it to be funny any more. He's more there to just be acerbic, attack some of the guests, provide a broadly centrist political view (in that he hates them all equally) and occasionally go off on one about corruption and the nature of modern celebrity. He's effectively there to keep a measure of seriousness about the whole thing that could otherwise be lost to comedians trying to just tell whatever joke comes to mind and turn the whole thing into Mock the Week.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

goatface posted:

I don't think Hislop is even on it to be funny any more. He's more there to just be acerbic, attack some of the guests, provide a broadly centrist political view (in that he hates them all equally) and occasionally go off on one about corruption and the nature of modern celebrity. He's effectively there to keep a measure of seriousness about the whole thing that could otherwise be lost to comedians trying to just tell whatever joke comes to mind and turn the whole thing into Mock the Week.

Also to be completely and humorously out of touch with modern trends and music.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I agree that Hislop should stick to writing Private Eye.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
But who would you replace him with?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

goatface posted:

A series of generic undated witticisms and observations coming from his younger self in a tape recorder.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

goatface posted:

Will Self

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

The Shadow Line is beautifully shot and scored and so forth, but I wish it was consistently funny. The humour is what made the opening so strong, and there are little bits of it throughout, like the man in black this episode ("be careful, it's a bit oily"). I know it's not intending to be a comedy, but it feels like the half of each episode that's winding up to or down from an achingly tense moment (normally including Jay) are just po-faced.
e: argh goddamnit does every single loving piece of dialogue have to end with a question mark aaah.

"A brick would save you the petrol" was probably my favourite line in this weeks episode, Dtc. Honey is consistently awesome and I would watch a whole hour of her being snide to people. Her fight scene was completely absurd with the semi-wall-run-lightbulb thing, but shot perfectly normally, completely bizarre and left me stunned for the rest of the scene.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Aside from the worst opening music in the world the Horrible Histories kids TV series is pretty cool.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Gram-O-Phone posted:

I would say Rob Brydon but then he might not be able to continue with the hilarious Would I Lie To You (probably the funniest panel show on TV at the moment).

It really is brilliant. At first I was unsure about it because it seems like quite an obscure concept to base a panel show on, but it's great. David Mitchell plays off really well with Lee Mack, and I always like trying to work out for myself whether people are telling the truth or not. It's a really clever game, when the right guests are on there are a lot of double bluffs and it's full of wit.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

NaDy posted:

It really is brilliant. At first I was unsure about it because it seems like quite an obscure concept to base a panel show on, but it's great. David Mitchell plays off really well with Lee Mack, and I always like trying to work out for myself whether people are telling the truth or not. It's a really clever game, when the right guests are on there are a lot of double bluffs and it's full of wit.

I just love that David Mitchell is slowly descending into a caricature of himself. He takes a dressing gown with him whenever he stays away from home, and used to have a little bell he could ring when he was in bed and wanted something. I'm sure there are more, but those two things spring to mind.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

ChuckDHead posted:

Yes, that's him. Took me a while to remember who he was as well, and another friend texted me to ask who it was (luckily just after I'd figured it out). He was messing David around with bureaucracy because he isn't sure whether the murders occur in the right council area.

Ahh, I'm glad someone knew - we'd watched the series only a few months ago and still weren't sure who he was. It seems weird to bring back what's essentially a throwaway joke like that.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Would you like to come to my party pom pom? It's a poo-poo party.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Ratjaculation posted:

Would you like to come to my party pom pom? It's a poo-poo party.

Geh ready to do a poo pom-pom!

I don't know if you're referencing this week's Adam and Joe or Psychoville, doesn't really matter.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Richard Herring has started the third series of As It Occurs To Me, which you can download here

Also, 9pm tonight on BBC 2, Louis Theroux: Miami Mega Jail.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 10:48 on May 22, 2011

sunday brunch
Dec 31, 2008

Brown Moses posted:

Also, 9pm tonight on BBC 2, Louis Theroux: Miami Mega Jail.

Followed by Zodiac, which is awesome.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
And don't forget that Adam Curtis has a new documentary on tomorrow at 9pm BBC2 - All watched over by machines of loving grace

The line comes from this poem:

All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace, by Richard Brautigan posted:

I'd like to think (and
the sooner the better!)
of a cybernetic meadow
where mammals and computers
live together in mutually
programming harmony
like pure water
touching clear sky.
I like to think
(right now, please!)
of a cybernetic forest
filled with pines and electronics
where deer stroll peacefully
past computers
as if they were flowers
with spinning blossoms.

I like to think
(it has to be!)
of a cybernetic ecology
where we are free of our labors
and joined back to nature,
returned to our mammal brothers and sisters,
and all watched over
by machines of loving grace.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

DaWolfey posted:

And don't forget that Adam Curtis has a new documentary on tomorrow at 9pm BBC2 - All watched over by machines of loving grace

I've been way too excited about this since it was announced.

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
Ask me about my lego spheres!
I had no idea David Mitchell was dating Victoria Coren until I just saw them together on the BAFTAs programme. First Konnie Huq and now this; how heartening for ordinary looking guys!

Also, the BAFTAs is rubbish, don't bother watching it.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

lionlegs posted:

I had no idea David Mitchell was dating Victoria Coren until I just saw them together on the BAFTAs programme. First Konnie Huq and now this; how heartening for ordinary looking guys!

Also, the BAFTAs is rubbish, don't bother watching it.

That Essex soap bollocks just won one, so yeah, standards are definitely slipping.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A friend of mine tried to convince me that The Only Way is Essex is actually the greatest satire ever made.

He failed.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Kin posted:

That Essex soap bollocks just won one, so yeah, standards are definitely slipping.

Well it was a Youtube audience voting for that one soo..

Anyway, Matt Smith was robbed.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Kin posted:

It won the 'Youtube Audience Choice award', over the likes of Sherlock so if anything is slipping it's the good taste of the British public. That being said, I never saw 'Essex', for all I know it might be a work of pure brilliance.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.
God, the American justice system is hosed up.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Gram-O-Phone posted:

It won the 'Youtube Audience Choice award', over the likes of Sherlock so if anything is slipping it's the good taste of the British public. That being said, I never saw 'Essex', for all I know it might be a work of pure brilliance.

The Only Way is Essex is perfect television and I won't hear a word said against it :colbert:

Kid Moe
Mar 18, 2009

Hello Mr.Thompson
I don't know why but the thought of that young latino dude locked in a cell with these crazy huge guys scared the living daylights out of me... Glad i'm not him.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
gently caress going to jail in the US.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Kid Moe posted:

I don't know why but the thought of that young latino dude locked in a cell with these crazy huge guys scared the living daylights out of me... Glad i'm not him.

I felt bad for the director lady when the guy was throwing cards at hell telling her to strip and stuff :(

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Metrication posted:

I felt bad for the director lady when the guy was throwing cards at hell telling her to strip and stuff :(

I don't understand why they have women officers in a male jail.

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."

DaWolfey posted:

The line comes from this poem:

A longer trailer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/2011/05/all_watched_over_by_machines_o.html

Which features some great music: http://grooveshark.com/#/playlist/All+Watched+Over+By+Machines+Of+Loving+Grace/53450482?src=5

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

How can it possibly be legal to hold people for 3(+) years who haven't been found guilty by any trial? Not saying any of the guys on that show seemed particularly innocent but that fact still sits very uncomfortably with me. I enjoyed it as always though, I can see why lots of people don't like Louis Theroux but I can't get enough.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Captain Mediocre posted:

How can it possibly be legal to hold people for 3(+) years who haven't been found guilty by any trial? Not saying any of the guys on that show seemed particularly innocent but that fact still sits very uncomfortably with me. I enjoyed it as always though, I can see why lots of people don't like Louis Theroux but I can't get enough.

What? Why don't people like Louis Theroux? His documentaries are amazing.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Zorba the Greek posted:

The best criticism I've ever heard of him is that he visits the strangest people in the world, and somehow manages to make it still about him. But I figure it all comes down to how annoying you find him personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Zorba the Greek posted:

Some people seem to think that he's a bit of a dick. I don't see it personally, the documentary he did on Jberg was fantastic. Going to catch up on this latest one soon :)