Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
membranoid
Feb 25, 2001

fart huffer
semen chugger

spasticColon posted:

I'll be getting my new monitor tomorrow later today which is this one here. I just hope its an improvement over my dying BenQ 2400WD.

It's a great looking monitor, but I hope you don't need the internal speaker, it's terrible and barely audible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Jetsetlemming posted:

I installed Bioshock 2 in anticipation for Minerva's Den, which comes out at the end of the month. It refused to run at all, instantly closing itself. I eventually found out the problem: GFWL, of course. I had updated to the latest version that Microsoft bragged about how streamlined and unintrusive it would be. It doesn't seem to bother to properly cover how games expected older versions to act. I had to manually run the new "GFWL Marketplace", launch Bioshock 2, download the update ingame, the game automatically restarted to install the update, and then it would play. Poorly, because I had two separate copies of GFWL running, so I had to quit it again, kill GFWL, and restart, again.

:stare:

Probably not gonna get GTA4 now, thanks.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Bats posted:

You need "Game Save Manager" (http://gsm.duncsweb.com/) Use it to back up your saves before you do a new install. It'll back up the profile needed to make sure your save makes it across intact. GFWL does not have cloud saves.
Ah drat, I wish I knew that before I built my new PC. I'll see if I can resurrect my old gaming PC and run that program to back up my saves from GTA4

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

membranoid posted:

It's a great looking monitor, but I hope you don't need the internal speaker, it's terrible and barely audible.

No, I got a set of Logitech X-530 speakers that I got a few years ago along with a pair of Sennheiser headphones.

seriously!
Jun 27, 2010

by angerbeet
So, I have pretty much abandoned my PS3 in favor of PC gaming. When I recognized this fact, I knew it was time to ditch the 16-inch CRT I've been using since forever. I ordered this the other day:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009297

It's astounding reading the monitor thread in SH/SC though, what with people talking about buying $1000+ monitors. Goodness!

I can't wait for my monitor to get here so I can be amazed for a few days, inevitability get used it and then start itching for an upgrade.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I have a $140 21.5" 1080p Acer monitor. It works fine for me, pretty much every modern game supports 1080p, unlike some of the bigger or more exotic widescreen resolutions and it's really crisp and has nice colors. I think the $1k monitor people are the same kind of people who upgrade their CPU and GPU(s) every year. It's really nice if you have the money, but not essential.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Red_Fred posted:

I was talking to a guy the other about RDR coming to PC. He cited three reasons that he thought it would not happen. First was that GTA IV did not sell well on PC, second was about PC piracy and third was that Rockstar might want to keep the Red Dead franchise console only.

First of all Xbox piracy is as bad as PC piracy and second it's a dick move to punish PC users for not buying their product when they released a lovely port in the first place. :argh:

The reasons above are just anecdotal at the moment but it's not looking good.

I don't have the link handy at the moment but some goon who works at IGN asked them at a tradeshow last year. Rockstar basically just said that they normally have spare dev teams work on ports and every team is fully committed for the foreseeable future. DLC is even more important these days to publishers and I think anyone not working actively on a new project would probably be working on DLC. I'm not even sure they would make money back on the port at this point anyhow. I played RDR on the 360 and loved the game but hated how limited it was by the platform hardware. On other hand though I can't see 200,000 PC gamers buying it for $50, they would probably try to $5 steam sale it like how GTA4 ended up for many people.

LA Noire on the other hand is fresh enough and probably a bit more niche, it might benefit from a fast port to a platform with an older customer base.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

The Gunslinger posted:

I don't have the link handy at the moment but some goon who works at IGN asked them at a tradeshow last year. Rockstar basically just said that they normally have spare dev teams work on ports and every team is fully committed for the foreseeable future. DLC is even more important these days to publishers and I think anyone not working actively on a new project would probably be working on DLC. I'm not even sure they would make money back on the port at this point anyhow. I played RDR on the 360 and loved the game but hated how limited it was by the platform hardware. On other hand though I can't see 200,000 PC gamers buying it for $50, they would probably try to $5 steam sale it like how GTA4 ended up for many people.

LA Noire on the other hand is fresh enough and probably a bit more niche, it might benefit from a fast port to a platform with an older customer base.

But you have to wonder why they didn't release it on the PC at the same time as on consoles. DMA/Rockstar started out on PC but somewhere along the way they stopped giving a poo poo about it.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I have a $140 21.5" 1080p Acer monitor. It works fine for me, pretty much every modern game supports 1080p, unlike some of the bigger or more exotic widescreen resolutions and it's really crisp and has nice colors. I think the $1k monitor people are the same kind of people who upgrade their CPU and GPU(s) every year. It's really nice if you have the money, but not essential.
IPS monitors (which are more like $250-$300) really look a lot better than the $140-$160 1080p Acer/ASUS/whatever bargain bin monitors, but I think most people are better off with just two of aforementioned bargain bin monitors.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I think the $1k monitor people are the same kind of people who upgrade their CPU and GPU(s) every year. It's really nice if you have the money, but not essential.

It's just really nice if you have the money. In my case I've been looking to purchase a 30" for about five years until I did buy one. Also I only upgrade every few years!

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

Well this might be a long shot, but gently caress - I can't figure out a solution for the life of me. I built a new rig with a GTX 560Ti and am using it connected to a Samsung 50-inch 1080P plasma. Most games look awesome, but I'm having problems with DirectX 10 games only driving the display at 24 hertz.

The first offenders I've found for this are Crysis and Crysis Warhead. I've tried adding a custom resolution in the nVidia panel one line smaller than my display (and locked at 60hz) - Windows can then use that setting, but Crysis won't allow me to choose it and I haven't been able to force it through the config file.

I've also tried RefreshLock and RefreshForce; with those, Crysis will pop-up in a window at the proper resolution.

Anyone else run into this? It's driving me nuts.

EDIT: When I set Crysis to DX9 it runs correctly at 1920x1080x60. Double what-the-gently caress.

lilbean fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 22, 2011

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

Can you run it at 59hz? Something with the way Windows 7 rounds refresh rates, I've played a few DX10 games that don't detect my display as being capable of 60hz, and select 59hz instead, but the actual refresh rate in the display's OSD is the same.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
ARMA 3 is finally gonna force me to upgrade. 5770 minimum, bye-bye 4850. Hopefully by next summer 6850s should be decently cheap. Here are the minimum specs for anyone wondering:

Arma 3 system requirements:

OS – Windows 7 / Vista
CPU – Intel Core i5 or AMD Athlon Phenom X4 or faster
GPU – Nvidia Geforce GTX 260 or ATI Radeon HD 5770, shader Model 3 and 896 MB VRAM, or faster
RAM – 2 GB
HDD – 15 GB free space
DVD – Dual Layer compatible
DirectX® – 10

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 22, 2011

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

averox posted:

It's just really nice if you have the money. In my case I've been looking to purchase a 30" for about five years until I did buy one. Also I only upgrade every few years!

30" monitor + 3 year old GPU crew represent :negative:

It's also important to note that once you get a 30" monitor, you will probably never need to upgrade your monitor again for the foreseeable future. My Dell is 4 years old and I doubt I will find something better in terms of size and resolution for another 4 years.

I would absolutely love to get rid of my GTX 280, but the GTX 580 just doesn't seem like a worthy enough jump in performance. When will Nvidia come out with their next generation of cards?! :f5:

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

AceSnyp3r posted:

Can you run it at 59hz? Something with the way Windows 7 rounds refresh rates, I've played a few DX10 games that don't detect my display as being capable of 60hz, and select 59hz instead, but the actual refresh rate in the display's OSD is the same.
I'd like to, but Crysis has no option to select a specific refresh rate. It just has a drop-down of resolutions, and using DX 10 at 1920x1080 always throws it in the lowest supported refresh rate (24hz since it's a television I guess). DX9 autoselects 60hz for me.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

ARMA 3 is finally gonna force me to upgrade. 5770 minimum, bye-bye 4850. Hopefully by next summer 6850s should be decently cheap. Here are the minimum specs for anyone wondering:

OS – Windows 7 / Vista
GPU – Nvidia Geforce GTX 260 or ATI Radeon HD 5770, shader Model 3 and 896 MB VRAM, or faster
RAM – 2 GB
HDD – 15 GB free space
DirectX® – 10

Wow, those requirements are ridiculous. No modern game should require a Core i5 and a Radeon 5770 as minimum specs. But then, the ArmA games were never known for being very well optimized.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Amrosorma posted:

I would absolutely love to get rid of my GTX 280, but the GTX 580 just doesn't seem like a worthy enough jump in performance. When will Nvidia come out with their next generation of cards?! :f5:

Agreed, I'm holding out for the 6xx series. It's just not worth upgrading right now (from a good 2xx card) especially with the low number of games using DX11.

I recently took a look at the 560's and they are coming down in price so quickly it's staggering. They are only slightly more expensive than a 460 right now.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Wow, those requirements are ridiculous. No modern game should require a Core i5 and a Radeon 5770 as minimum specs. But then, the ArmA games were never known for being very well optimized.

A Core i5 and a 5770 is exactly what I have, I guess this is a sign I will need to upgrade soon :gonk:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Quick question: Is an Athlon II x4 equivalent, worse than or better than a Phenom I x4? I just realized I might have to up the CPU too. Curse you Bohemia Interactive! :argh: Luckily it's a Summer 2012 game.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Lurchibles posted:

Agreed, I'm holding out for the 6xx series. It's just not worth upgrading right now (from a good 2xx card) especially with the low number of games using DX11.

I recently took a look at the 560's and they are coming down in price so quickly it's staggering. They are only slightly more expensive than a 460 right now.

You have to be wary, though, since NVidia is up to their old name-fuckery tricks again. The recently released GTX 560 is a different card than the GTX 560 TI that was released a month or two ago, with the first being less powerful.

That said, the general rule as always is, "Buy mid-range, upgrade when you start to see significant slowdown in more than a couple of games." A GTX 280 or 285 probably still has some legs left in it at this point.

Tufty posted:

A Core i5 and a 5770 is exactly what I have, I guess this is a sign I will need to upgrade soon

No it's not? Why would you upgrade "soon" for a game that's not even projected to come out for another year?

A Fancy 400 lbs. posted:

Quick question: Is an Athlon II x4 equivalent, worse than or better than a Phenom I x4? I just realized I might have to up the CPU too. Curse you Bohemia Interactive! Luckily it's a Summer 2012 game.

The only difference between the two is that the Phenom has an L3 cache and possibly an unlocked multiplier if it's a Black Edition CPU. The L3 cache makes a tad bit of difference in games, but not enough to justify the extra cost, while the unlocked multiplier is only useful if you plan to overclock (and 99% of games run fine with a decent CPU at stock speeds nowadays). Generally speaking the Phenom II isn't worth the extra cash, and most games will run perfectly on your Athlon II X4. Hell, I still use a 1.5-year-old Athlon II X3 that cost $85 at the time and I've never experienced a CPU bottleneck yet.

Devil Wears Wings fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 22, 2011

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Here you go, op :toot:
All that crazy spec requirements and only 2gigs of ram.

Why is that?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Devil Wears Wings posted:

The only difference between the two is that the Phenom has an L3 cache and possibly an unlocked multiplier if it's a Black Edition CPU. The L3 cache makes a tad bit of difference in games, but not enough to justify the extra cost, while the unlocked multiplier is only useful if you plan to overclock (and 99% of games run fine with a decent CPU at stock speeds nowadays). Generally speaking the Phenom II isn't worth the extra cash, and most games will run perfectly on your Athlon II X4. Hell, I still use a 1.5-year-old Athlon II X3 that cost $85 at the time and I've never experienced a CPU bottleneck yet.

Yeah, but I actually want to get into ARMA III on launch, so if those are actually the minimum specs, I wanna upgrade early next year. Still, looks like it'll luckily just be the GPU.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

washow posted:

All that crazy spec requirements and only 2gigs of ram.

Why is that?

The vast majority of games still being released are 32-bit and can only use a maximum of 2 gigs of RAM anyway.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

lilbean posted:

Well this might be a long shot, but gently caress - I can't figure out a solution for the life of me. I built a new rig with a GTX 560Ti and am using it connected to a Samsung 50-inch 1080P plasma. Most games look awesome, but I'm having problems with DirectX 10 games only driving the display at 24 hertz.

Hm, it's a Plasma... check the settings for the actual TV - it may be forcing 24hz because it's in a 'cinema mode' or something (24 fps is the frame rate motion pictures are filmed at, many nicer TVs have a cinema mode that will set the TV to that refresh rate so it can sync the refresh rate to the individual frames of the movie).

Amrosorma posted:

The vast majority of games still being released are 32-bit and can only use a maximum of 2 gigs of RAM anyway.

Except that game requires Vista or Win 7 and the minimum CPUs are all 64 bit capable, so there's no reason to design the game around the 2GB limit.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 23, 2011

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

HotCanadianChick posted:

Hm, it's a Plasma... check the settings for the actual TV - it may be forcing 24hz because it's in a 'cinema mode' or something (24 fps is the frame rate motion pictures are filmed at, many nicer TVs have a cinema mode that will set the TV to that refresh rate so it can sync the refresh rate to the individual frames of the movie).
Thanks. I checked it and it's in "Game Mode" for that connection.

Edit: Oops, was switching to my old account that I recovered :)

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

HotCanadianChick posted:

Except that game requires Vista or Win 7 and the minimum CPUs are all 64 bit capable, so there's no reason to design the game around the 2GB limit.

You have to design with 2GB of RAM in mind anyway, since there are still computers shipping with 2GB and a 32-bit version of Windows only.

If you're really concerned about it you can attempt to patch your executables to address more than 2GB:

http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
I just bought a new GTX 570 for $300 (I couldn't believe the sale), but the store didn't have the free JC2 & Mafia 2 SKUs so they gave me HAWX 2.

1) Will I enjoy this game if I don't have a joystick?
2) I already own JC2, does anyone want to trade me for a Mafia 2 code straight up?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

poo poo good thing I never got into the arma series because This is my system lol:

X3 720 @ 3.2ghz
8gb ddr2
1GB 4890 (roughly the same as a 5770)

and I want to play games at 1920x1200 so at least with the witcher 2, this is starting to cramp my style.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

lilbean posted:

I'd like to, but Crysis has no option to select a specific refresh rate. It just has a drop-down of resolutions, and using DX 10 at 1920x1080 always throws it in the lowest supported refresh rate (24hz since it's a television I guess). DX9 autoselects 60hz for me.

2 things you can try: I set a custom res of 1920x1076 up in my vid card control panel then set that in game and it worked. I think it might be an Ati specific thing though (didn't have to do it on my Nvidia card). Also try mashing alt+enter. It switches between windowed/fullscreen, but rumor goes it also cycles through 4 different methods of handling refresh rates and such.

If all else fails..play Metro :D.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

Amrosorma posted:

30" monitor + 3 year old GPU crew represent :negative:

Don't worry buddy, my last upgrade wasn't too long ago so I run 470 SLI :smugdog:

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I bought a 27" Dell Ultrasharp ($560 in Australia. SUCK ON THAT AMERICANS! Cheaper electronics. Its a miracle) and had to upgrade my GPU straight away. It was raping my GTX260 at max res but it looks beautiful playing something like BF BC2. Its almost like a TV screen when you're sitting at a desk playing it.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
What is in the future cpu + gpu wise? Are we going to see a nice upgrade over the i7 (what I have)?

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

keyframe posted:

What is in the future cpu + gpu wise? Are we going to see a nice upgrade over the i7 (what I have)?

Radeon 7 series is meant to come out late this year I think for the first couple of models and then early next year for the rest..

AMD's Bulldozer is meant to be released soon (next few months I think?) which may push Intel into releasing Ivy Bridge chips sooner as well.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What do you think the price for a 6850 next year will be? I might be able to upgrade then

what about a 5970?

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 23, 2011

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

OS – Windows 7 / Vista
RAM – 2 GB
HDD – 15 GB free space
DirectX® – 10

So this is the first game to require quad-core? I just upgraded from dual-core to quad-core goddamn it!:argh:

But I don't play the ARMA games anyway but I want to play BF3 and I imagine the system requirements for that game are going to be equally atrocious. I would think my i5-2500K will cut the mustard in the CPU department but watching the gameplay trailers for BF3 makes my GTX 460 weep. Developers need to stop being lazy and optimize their game engines. It seems Valve is the only one that takes the time (sometimes too much time) to optimize their games so there is good scalability across a broad range of hardware.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

spasticColon posted:

But I don't play the ARMA games anyway but I want to play BF3 and I imagine the system requirements for that game are going to be equally atrocious.

I thought the reason system reqs for Arma games were so ridiculous is because the game's constantly processing/rendering a ton of stuff, which is what allows the games to be so realistic. Or I am just completely mis-remembering/thinking of something else?

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Arma is special on its own way due to it doing all kinds of poo poo that others games don't do such as wind speed affecting bullets and whatnot.

BF3 won't be as strict as that........ I hope. I'm building a gaming comp later this summer (like 1k budget) and it needs to max out bf3 and gw2 :ohdear:

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Luckily I can play Crysis at 1080p with everything on very high and 2xAA. If I was smart, I would back down on just a couple settings to absolutely ensure 35-40 FPS during the more intense firefights.

C2D represent? :negative:

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Heh fools who didn't get q6600 when it was clearly the best :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I know there are games that take advantage of quad-core, but are there any that take advantage of six-core or eight-core chips? Both Intel and AMD are going to release eight-core chips soon but what the hell is going to take advantage of an eight-core processor? Probably ARMA III from the looks of things since the game requires a quad-core.

• Locked thread