Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elemeno^P
Aug 13, 2002

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Dramatic wrinkled faces might be artistic but your old clients don't want to pay money to be reminded they're old and ugly. See if you can smoothen out the faces a little. Try some fill light in the shadows and then go softer on the skin not sharper.

Lighting their faces straight on with a diffuser might also have made them less wrinkly.

Edit: you did a good job making them look like a nice sweet couple.
I had intended to drop in an on-axis fill with a shoot through umbrella behind my head, but I ran out of lights, having to light the back left corner of the frame. I could have maybe have pulled in enough ambient to light that corner naturally, but I didn't want to drop my shutter speed anymore so that I could have the flexibility to shoot off a tripod. But you're right, it would have helped to fill in those shadows and smooth some of those wrinkles.

Paragon8 posted:

They aren't hotspots. Hotspots are more blown out.

It's not soft at all! I think for what it is that it's great. Maybe pull your light more towards you to make the lighting on their faces even.

I'd maybe try and blur out the background a little more. The plant is a touch too prominent.

Otherwise I wouldn't really worry about wrinkles etc. The couple seem to have embraced their age. It's not like she's dressed younger than her age.
Thanks. I agree about the plant. It had been placed for a different framing, and once I started moving around I didn't notice it creeping from the new perspective. Something else to pay attention to. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elemeno^P
Aug 13, 2002
Just wanted to share the final image, incorporating all the feedback I received.

Thanks for helping me make my best portrait yet!

Smiling couple by JoshuaVanHorsen, on Flickr

downtown_man
Oct 7, 2005

Fishing for love in all the wrong places
Just a couple outside with the sun behind cloud

Outside: Andrea N by downtown_man, on Flickr

Outside 2: Andrea N by downtown_man, on Flickr

Processed it in two different styles. I'm a bit more partial to the bottom style than the top.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Took some headshots for a friend in my living room.

[/url

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nickkneer/5748445186/]

dakana fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 22, 2011

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Random photo from an event I shot today that came out pretty decent IMO. Its all hazy because he was standing behind a grill cooking food so there was smoke everywhere:

IMG_9238.jpg by www.ShootJoeC.com, on Flickr

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

downtown_man posted:

Just a couple outside with the sun behind cloud

Outside: Andrea N by downtown_man, on Flickr

Outside 2: Andrea N by downtown_man, on Flickr

Processed it in two different styles. I'm a bit more partial to the bottom style than the top.

I really, really like the top one. The bottom one is really uninteresting. What do you prefer about the processing? The sky could maybe be toned down a hair in the top one, but the bottom one just looks flat and underexposed. It's also way less interesting compositionally.

bobz0r
Jul 8, 2008

I have faith in us, if we don't self-destruct

dakana posted:

Took some headshots for a friend in my living room.

All I can see in 2 and 4 is the poo poo on his teeth, it's gross. Maybe try to make his mouth look less disgusting in post?

1 and 3 look great, I would say I prefer number 3 over number 1 because of the clipped chin in 1

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

IMG_2160 by The original David L, on Flickr

IMG_2135 by The original David L, on Flickr

IMG_2126 by The original David L, on Flickr

IMG_2096 by The original David L, on Flickr

Did a photo shoot for a friend of mine who plays the harp. This was my first portrait session, and it was also complicated because we were in her small studio apartment, which was kind of cluttered and messy. I tried to use off-camera flash to darken the apartment to hide that. I think it came out pretty well. Suggestions / comments?

Edit: The setup I was working with...

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 27, 2011

downtown_man
Oct 7, 2005

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I really, really like the top one. The bottom one is really uninteresting. What do you prefer about the processing? The sky could maybe be toned down a hair in the top one, but the bottom one just looks flat and underexposed. It's also way less interesting compositionally.

I was liking it more mainly because I was looking at a lot of washed out brownish retro photos. But looking at it again after letting it sit a few days, the style has soured a bit for me. Might take another stab at it. But yeah, the composition is not really doing it for me anymore. The top just looks more dynamic I guess. Thanks for the feedback!

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Did a photo shoot for a friend of mine who plays the harp. This was my first portrait session, and it was also complicated because we were in her small studio apartment, which was kind of cluttered and messy. I tried to use off-camera flash to darken the apartment to hide that. I think it came out pretty well. Suggestions / comments?

Edit: The setup I was working with...

The shadow created by her head is way too hard.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

INTJ Mastermind posted:

I think only #4 is really successful from these. In the first 3- especially #3- she doesn't look like she's involved or at all invested in playing the harp. That's not entirely your fault since she may be a tough model to get a genuine moment out of, but it's pretty much the most important aspect of a shot like this. You can't have a musician's instrument look like a generic prop.

Printed this last night. Figured I'd post it here since it is a portrait...

My Flickr Page! :nws:

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Thanks for the feedback guys!

Pompous Rhombus posted:

The shadow created by her head is way too hard.

I'm not too happy about the bare lighting either, but I couldn't think of a way to have both soft lighting and to control the light hitting the background. If I had a second flash with me, maybe shooting that one up through the harp from the left would have helped balance things out a bit?

McMadCow posted:

I think only #4 is really successful from these. In the first 3- especially #3- she doesn't look like she's involved or at all invested in playing the harp. That's not entirely your fault since she may be a tough model to get a genuine moment out of, but it's pretty much the most important aspect of a shot like this. You can't have a musician's instrument look like a generic prop.

These shots were taken while she was practicing a piece for a performance. She's been playing harp for 14 years, so it wasn't hard to get a genuine performance, no modelling there. But afterwards it was a matter of sorting through 100+ shots to find ones that had good hand positions. I did select ones where she had her eyes open too, figuring it would make for a better portrait. But maybe eyes closed would make her seem more lost in the music?

McMadCow posted:

Printed this last night. Figured I'd post it here since it is a portrait...

I liked how you posed her head and shoulder, but the hand is a bit distracting. That wrinkly claw hand doesn't work well with the pretty young model.

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 27, 2011

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

INTJ Mastermind posted:

But maybe eyes closed would make her seem more lost in the music?

It's possible. I singled out #3 because there seemed to be no relationship at all between the performer and her instrument. Having closed eyes may improve on that. Also, we're pretty used to seeing classical musicians being very expressive with their body and their face when they're playing. She's got the same exact expression in all 4 shots, so if you use more than one, I'd take only one from this group and seek out another where she's got a different look, or maybe one without a direct shot of her face.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

INTJ Mastermind posted:

I'm not too happy about the bare lighting either, but I couldn't think of a way to have both soft lighting and to control the light hitting the background. If I had a second flash with me, maybe shooting that one up through the harp from the left would have helped balance things out a bit?
Looks like you had some brown cloth in the background. Get something black instead and whatever light remains can be removed in post. A second flash could make things even worse since now you need to keep the instrument's shadow from obscuring her face. Some white reflective material on the other hand wouldn't hurt.

quote:

These shots were taken while she was practicing a piece for a performance. She's been playing harp for 14 years, so it wasn't hard to get a genuine performance, no modelling there.
Nobody is going to hear the music so why bother performing during a photo shoot? Since you are already working in tight quarters at least the music stand could have been removed in that case.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Cross_ posted:

Looks like you had some brown cloth in the background. Get something black instead and whatever light remains can be removed in post. A second flash could make things even worse since now you need to keep the instrument's shadow from obscuring her face. Some white reflective material on the other hand wouldn't hurt.
Nobody is going to hear the music so why bother performing during a photo shoot? Since you are already working in tight quarters at least the music stand could have been removed in that case.

I didn't have much control over the area, which made it more challenging, but also more fun I think. The brown sheet is what she had in her apartment, and is covering up a refrigerator with colorful fridge magnets. That took care of the most distracting background element. There wasn't any way to pull the cloth all the way across the room, which I agree would have been ideal.

We tried doing posing shots at first, but those all came out unnatural. Playing some music helped make the shots feel more genuine. I guess that could also mean I need to learn to pose my subjects better. Any good resources for that?

Edit: Looking at that room picture again, I should have hung the sheet from the fridge and the bed post to get more coverage.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
I was asking for posing guides here a while back and didn't get any responses.
Meanwhilee I bought this booklet. It's useful and quirky- just a bit overpriced for what you get : http://www.amazon.com/Portrait-Photographers-Posing-Guide-portraits/dp/1419652338/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1306534074&sr=8-3

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Posing guides never seemed to help me because every person situates themselves differently. I talk to people until they slump into something comfortable and then tell them to straighten up but hold the same pose and weight their body around. I also practice a bunch of stuff in a mirror and look at a ton of magazines to mimic poses that I see.

downtown_man
Oct 7, 2005

Dreaming by downtown_man, on Flickr

My attempt at a "Dreamy" portrait.

Was playing around with hot lights and blew out the highlights on her head and hand. Also wondering is it too yellow? I was pleased when I first did it but now a month later I'm questioning the yellowcast.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Messing around with some friends last night. flickr

I have no idea.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

downtown_man posted:

Dreaming by downtown_man, on Flickr

My attempt at a "Dreamy" portrait.

Was playing around with hot lights and blew out the highlights on her head and hand. Also wondering is it too yellow? I was pleased when I first did it but now a month later I'm questioning the yellowcast.

I feel like it's too purple to be honest.

The edge of the shadow on her forehead is super rough. I'd see if you could fiddle that maybe.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

dakana posted:

This is a very dramatic look and all, but unless you have a very good reason for leaving it like that, neither eye is properly lit, and it's a bit distracting. I'm not saying it can't work, but it's not working for me in this case. The other shots are pretty solid, though.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
I like how his eye appears to be backlit. Not flattering by any means, but it's interesting to look at.

Elemeno^P
Aug 13, 2002

dakana posted:

Totally reminds me of an octopus eye. Somewhat hypnotic..must...look...away.

Doing a whole slew of portraits this week. This is the first of a string of 8 I will have done by Sunday.

Biggest regrets: The boy was totally uncomfortable sitting to close to the girl (cooties and all...), so I was moving them around to hide the space between them. By doing so I lost my warm rim light on the left. Other regret, wish I had bounced a cool gelled strobe off the foreground paintbrushes to give them some dimension and texture.

110601_ArtRoom_52 by JoshuaVanHorsen, on Flickr

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Did you gaussian blur the background? It looks odd.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Yea it looks like theres some blurring around parts of their arms and I feel like the paintbrushes in the top left should be out of focus too...at first glance all looks ok, but digging deeper it does seem odd.

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.
i cannot keep my eyes off the paintbrush on the left that is not blurred.

Elemeno^P
Aug 13, 2002

RizieN posted:

Yea it looks like theres some blurring around parts of their arms and I feel like the paintbrushes in the top left should be out of focus too...at first glance all looks ok, but digging deeper it does seem odd.

Guilty!

I posted this prematurely, as I was just excited with how it was coming out. I was in the middle of working with it.

I did do a lens blur, and am slowly masking it out and cleaning up the edges. The problem I had was that I wanted to ensure that both my subjects were sharp so I was shooting at 7.1 or something. The background in the final shot, while lightly out of focus, was still pretty distracting, and wasn't allowing the kids to own the scene. I decided I would work on fabricating a reduced depth of field to give them more of the spotlight. I like the overall look, and I enjoy the fact that there is something instinctively unsettling about the depth of field. That said, the final image with be presented in a tight crop at 930px x 285px. I think It will be near impossible to pick out any visual ques that break the illusion. Or at least I hope.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
I feel like I'm being poked in the eye by the blurry brushes in the foreground.

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.

Mightaswell posted:

I feel like I'm being poked in the eye by the blurry brushes in the foreground.

hahaha! This is all i see now...

gh0st
May 24, 2011

doing the 'new poster' thing in relevant threads...here's some of my favorites from the past few years. the last one is a composite type of thing.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Welcome. I really like the second shot you've posted. Nice, simple lighting!

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Those photos make me want to get into strobes.

This is the first time doing a business shoot. Natural light:

I've been second guessing my monitor calibration. Is there a good calibrator that works with LED monitors?

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 3, 2011

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Shot a friend of mine today. Started with some simple headshots, then moved onto something a bit more interesting...

IMG_2435 by The original David L, on Flickr

IMG_2445 by The original David L, on Flickr

IMG_2549 by The original David L, on Flickr

gh0st
May 24, 2011

Elite Taco posted:

Welcome. I really like the second shot you've posted. Nice, simple lighting!

thanks :-) there was a bare head behind her towards the camera (gelled), and a 4 foot softbox above the camera.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

INTJ Mastermind posted:

IMG_2445 by The original David L, on Flickr

Took me a bit to pinpoint what I didn't like about this shot, but I think it's with the shadows on your friend. Take a look at how dark they are and compare them to the background- I don't like how strong the difference is. The harsh light drop off as soon as it goes around the corner of his face kind of makes him look a little weird too. I'd try lowering the contrast in the photo or perhaps boosting the shadows, and also bringing up the background a bit. Is there a specific reason you underexposed the scene?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

RangerScum posted:

Took me a bit to pinpoint what I didn't like about this shot, but I think it's with the shadows on your friend. Take a look at how dark they are and compare them to the background- I don't like how strong the difference is. The harsh light drop off as soon as it goes around the corner of his face kind of makes him look a little weird too. I'd try lowering the contrast in the photo or perhaps boosting the shadows, and also bringing up the background a bit. Is there a specific reason you underexposed the scene?

The first picture of that set was my attempt at a nice "normal" portrait. For the second, I was experimenting with off camera flash, and knocking down the ambient. I wanted to create a more dramatic look with the dark sky and background contrasting against the sharply lit subject.

I only had one flash, so I wasn't able to do anything to fill in the shadows on his face, but I do agree that the shadows need some filling. Time to order a second flash? :)

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
No, just don't shoot at 1/200, f/16.0.

Just increase the ambient exposure a bit and the contrast between the flash-lit areas and the shadows won't be nearly as bad.

RangerScum fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 6, 2011

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

gh0st posted:

doing the 'new poster' thing in relevant threads...here's some of my favorites from the past few years. the last one is a composite type of thing.

First is perfect. The second I like a lot, but I wish the background was a different color. I think red would be cool. The white is too much.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

RangerScum posted:

No, just don't shoot at 1/200, f/16.0.

Just increase the ambient exposure a bit and the contrast between the flash-lit areas and the shadows won't be nearly as bad.

The shot was taken in broad daylight, so that setting was the only way to darken the sky enough. Ideally I needed some way of lightening the shadows on his face, while keeping the ambient at the same low level.

I tried adding fill light in post but that lightened the sky as well as the shadows on his face, which kind of ruined my original intent. I think increasing the ambient exposure during the shot would have done the same. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
That makes sense, I still think your background/sky is underexposed though. Look at how grey those clouds are, while a better exposed sky would result in white clouds. Also, if taken in broad daylight did you even need a flash? He doesn't appear to be standing in shade or anything.