Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Chief Savage Man posted:

Since everybody is all excited about the second one, I decided to give the first one a go. Any tips for The Witcher, particularly about how to level up Geralt and anything that I should definitely be doing? I just finished Kaer Morhen.

Did you check the wiki?

http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=The_Witcher_1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Centipeed posted:

Did you check the wiki?

http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=The_Witcher_1

I clicked the link at the bottom of the OP, it was broken, thanks for this link though. :)

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

More for Majesty 2

Wizards are incredibly fragile early on, but once they have a few levels under their belt they become pretty nasty damage dealer.

Lords are attached to the level that they came from so if you replay a level and select a different hero to bring out, then it will replace the Lord you had before.

If you feel like it, you should choose the hero from the level and class that you want with the best stats to elevate. High CON = more HP per level, Str for Warriors, Rogues, and dwarves, Dex for rangers and elves, int for Clerics and Wizards. Later on just a point or two more of CON or STR will make a big difference.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 20, 2011

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dongattack posted:

This may be a bit early, but anything for The Witcher 2?
Aspecially would i have had to have played the first to enjoy the story? There was a LP of it, but it died out very early when someone lured the OP away with some cheeze.

There's a journal that covers the important stuff in detail such as characters. This video covers the backdrop of the political tension that's going on in the world. It shouldn't be too hard to follow for the most part but if you're still having difficulty read the plot details on The Witcher page on Wikipedia. They do make a lot of assumptions regarding the book and previous game but I think someone could jump in without many problems.

-There's no traditional tutorial. Do the flashback sequences in order because you'll be tossed into the furnace without being able to practice.

-Combat is deadly as the developers openly stated their Demon's Souls influence. One-against-one Geralt is a beast but you're almost always fighting three or more guys. Enemies inflict +200% damage on your flank and certain hits stagger you which means you can be juggled to death in literally two seconds. In tight spaces cast quen (absorbs damage, prevents stagger) and use every bomb and area attack to not die horribly. In open areas use Geralt's speed to your advantage by running circles around enemies, laying traps, casting yrden (creates a paralyzing trap), cast igni or aard to whittle away opponents, and dodge roll behind people to stab them in the back. Understand there's a slight pause between certain actions so be patient and don't jump the gun or you'll die. Simple as that.

-Axii is an underrated spell. Hold down the casting button over an enemy to temporarily mind control them. You have to pull it off from a good distance but in large groups it causes all enemies to target the hypnotized enemy which makes flanking them easy.

-Before going out in the wilderness or a dungeon suck down some potions. You have to be in a relatively safe area to do this and they last about 5-10 minutes. Swallow is an important one because there are no conventional healing abilities.

-Don't horde. I keep reading posts about people hitting the weight limit but this is ridiculous because there's no point in hauling a bunch of junk around. It would be nice if they brought back the storage from the first game but you have plenty of space. Sell weapons and armor you don't need, sell anything labeled "junk" in the menu screen, and sell off any common crafting equipment that you can find by looting a random house like cloth or timber. Brew some potions and bombs when you run low and sell off everything else that's terribly common like monster ingredients.

-You have to keep your formulas to use them despite the fact they're added to the journal. It sucks that they weigh .1 pounds while books (which add an entry to your journal) somehow weigh 0 pounds so hopefully next week's announced patch fixes this oversight.

-Pressing "Z" activates the wolf medallion which highlights objects. It also reveals magical auras and environmental hazards.

-You can double click on a quest in the journal to mark it on the mini-map. Blue and green dots that show up on the mini-map are important NPCs while enemies show up as red dots if you use the wolf medallion to mark them.

-The game is about delayed choices so you won't notice the effects of your actions until later. Be warned about the occasional quick-time-event (they're fortunately rare) and timed dialog choice.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Chief Savage Man posted:

I clicked the link at the bottom of the OP, it was broken, thanks for this link though. :)

The wiki says to only use aard/igni. I'm not sure if that's because the author thought the other signs sucked or the other signs are broken as poo poo but that's probably good advice.

For example, the one trap sign (yrden maybe?) is probably the most broken thing in the game since it places a trap that damages enemies, inflicts status effects, and most importantly knocks them back. So they hit the trap and get knocked back, which mean they walk forward again and hit the trap again and get knocked back again, repeating until they die. You literally do not have to do anything against most enemies besides cast it and then go make a sandwich or something.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Chief Savage Man posted:

Yeah, it hasn't been updated (OP if you see this can you update the first post to point to beforeiplay.com?).

Also I have added those Witcher 2 tips to the wiki. Thanks!

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

About to do my first playthrough of KotOR 2, are any of the content-restoring mods recommended or should I keep it vanilla the first time?

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005

A Violence Gang posted:

About to do my first playthrough of KotOR 2, are any of the content-restoring mods recommended or should I keep it vanilla the first time?

Keep it vanilla so that you will know how much work the DeadlyStream people did to fix the ending.

Limorkil
Jan 4, 2011
A few more items for early game Witcher 2. The manual covers most of this stuff but people miss it, including myself:

- Press a movement key twice quickly to roll that direction. Double "S" - roll backwards, is very useful in many of the early fights.

- You can block (parry) with "E". It is hard to block fast opponents. It is easier to block slow opponents but they can still damage you (the block just reduces damage). Blocking uses Vigor (stamina) the same as Signs (spells) so if you have no Vigor you cannot block. Blocking is not that useful compared to dodging at the beginning.

- You can lock onto a target by holding down Alt. There is no "cycle through potential targets" key.

- You will get murdered if you leap into the middle of a group of guys, which is all too easy to do early on. Don't be afraid to do a strategic retreat: attack, roll away, attack - etc. If you are getting closed in then run away a bit. If you are in an enclosed area then it is hard to find space but just keep moving.

- Left mouse button is a quick strike and right mouse button is a heavy blow. You should favor the quick hit early on, but a good way to take someone down quickly is to do a couple of quick hits followed by a heavy hit. Quick hits even work on armored guys: if you try to take someone down just using heavy hits then they will usually counter you. You can do a lot of damage if you attack someone from behind or the side, and the same applies when they attack you.

- Signs are great, even at the start before you increase your skill in any of them. Aard can stun people but it is not that reliable at the start. Yrden places a trap on the group that can completely disable one foe - very useful if you have the space to use it. Igni does not do enough damage at the start. Quen should be your "default" Sign most of the time, since it protects you from being staggered when hit. Note that you do not regenerate health when Quen is active. Axii is good at the start of an encounter to mind control one person to be on your side. You have to power up Axii by holding the "Q" key down, so it is only useful before the fight starts, unless you can run a distance away.

- Use your potions and bombs. They make a big difference and it is easy to make lots of them not too far into the game. You can also find or craft traps.

- As the previous poster mentioned, don't hoard stuff. Collect things you think might be rare, but common stuff like iron ore, timber, cloth is all over. You can leave it where it is until you discover a need to collect it. You will find way more crafting/recipe items than you need so do not hang onto potions, bombs etc. You really are meant to use them - it's what Witchers do.

- Geralt usually uses swords, but there are some good alternative weapons to be found. Don't be afraid to use these weapons, particularly early in the game.

- There are stealth portions to the game. They are quite hard, but forgiving if you fail. Although hard, they are quite doable if you proceed with a lot of patience (not easy in a usually fast-paced game). You can extinguish torches. You can knock guys out if you approach directly from behind and right-click. You cannot stand against the wall and have a guard walk past you like in the movies - they will see you. You just have to wait until they have their back to you - even if they are some distance away - and then rush them. If two guards can see each other then don't even try to knock one out, wait until they split up and do not have LOS. If you watch guards from afar then you can easily see the best time to approach them from behind. You don't sneak right up to them, you get close-ish but not too close, wait for them to turn away (back directly facing you), and then rush them.

- If you have a Witcher 1 save then it imports some Orens (gold) and items, plus it may have minor dialogue influences. The items imported are not that much better than what you start with by default, so do not expect having a Witcher 1 save to make the game easier. Any imported items start in your inventory - not equipped. You have to equip them.

Toothy
Jan 30, 2006

There's treasure everywhere!
Crysis 2
As fun as the ground slam perk might be, a far better use of nanopoints are the skills that save your energy, rather than deplete it in one go.

Splosionman
If you reach a really difficult part, it's possible to slowly slide down a wall by wiggling the left stick, in order to recharge your fire faster without losing ground.

Plants vs. Zombies
There's no need to play through the campaign twice to unlock all of the (360) achievements. The amount of end-game content more than enough to earn you lots of money. If you're having trouble with 40 waves, use gloom shrooms in the water. That is all.

Battlefield BC2
The medic has some sweet guns to unlock, and you can heal yourself! Best class....?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Read the wiki, anything else for Red Dead Redemption?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't have the link to the wiki but does it say don't get off the god damned horse?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Couldn't find anything on Tales of the Abyss anything for that?

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Skeezy posted:

-If you want to do some minor gamebreaking, when you first get access to the crafting shop in the desert tow, you can go between the search point in the desert and the nearby dungeon to grind craft items that you can exchange at the craft shop to get some weapons that will outclass most of the weapons you can buy until around the last quarter of the game.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Skeezy posted:

Use Luke/Guy/Tear/Jade as your party whenever possible.

Play as Luke or Guy.

If you want to do sidequests, do one playthrough "normal" and then one playthrough with a sidequest guide because you will never ever figure that poo poo out on your own.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

wdarkk posted:

Use Luke/Guy/Tear/Jade as your party whenever possible.

Play as Luke or Guy.

If you want to do sidequests, do one playthrough "normal" and then one playthrough with a sidequest guide because you will never ever figure that poo poo out on your own.

At about 35% of the way through the game, you'll return from a place that the predominant color is "purple". It has an exit that is a point on the map. After every major plot point thereafter, go check, that exit point to start a huge chain of a missable side quest.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Capsaicin posted:

At about 35% of the way through the game, you'll return from a place that the predominant color is "purple". It has an exit that is a point on the map. After every major plot point thereafter, go check, that exit point to start a huge chain of a missable side quest.

It's got a forest outside and a cave inside, in case you need any further clarification.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

al-azad posted:

I don't have the link to the wiki but does it say don't get off the god damned horse?

http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Red_Dead_Redemption

Yes, but not very firmly.

Herobotic
Oct 9, 2007

You know, we've had a lot of fun here today, but there's nothing funny about people who pretend to throw a ball without actually throwing a ball.
Got any tips for Grim Grimoire?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I think it got lost on the last page, because I posted Dead Rising 2 stuff at the same time, but anything for UFO: Aftermath?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Syberia. Both of them. Anything I should know before I buy and then play them?

Whack
Feb 14, 2008
Can't afford new games so I'm stuck playing old RPGs. Gonna rock some Star Ocean: The Second Story and Dark Cloud. Anything on these two?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

PlasticPaddy posted:

Star Ocean: The Second Story

One of Claude's killer moves (specifically Ripper Blast) is quite powerful after you've used it for a while - it starts out as a single rock spike popping out of the ground in front of him, but the more you use it the more spikes it produces in a semicircular pattern in front of him. This can hit groups of enemies all at once as well as flying enemies. The voice clip that he uses with it ("TEAAAAR INTA PIECES!") gets pretty annoying after a while, though.

Also, regardless if you have Rena or Claude as your "story" character, it's probably better to control Claude, since he's a melee fighter and Rena is a spellcaster.

lactomangulation
Jan 29, 2009
For Star Ocean 2:

When you get the Perseverance skill, max it ASAP since it lowers the SP cost of all other skills. Try to avoid spending SP before you get it.

The game-breaking stuff involves getting Pickpocketing early, you'll probably need to grind lots of levels to afford the SP cost if you wish to max this early. You only get one shot per NPC at pickpocketing, so save before stealing anything important in case of failure. The most important NPCs to steal from: Filia in Clik before it is destroyed!, and an old man in Mars (during a Private Action).

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Taerkar posted:

More for Majesty 2

Wizards are incredibly fragile early on, but once they have a few levels under their belt they become pretty nasty damage dealer.

Lords are attached to the level that they came from so if you replay a level and select a different hero to bring out, then it will replace the Lord you had before.

If you feel like it, you should choose the hero from the level and class that you want with the best stats to elevate. High CON = more HP per level, Str for Warriors, Rogues, and dwarves, Dex for rangers and elves, int for Clerics and Wizards. Later on just a point or two more of CON or STR will make a big difference.
More Majesty2:

When it comes to general use, Rogues make the best Lords, as can Rangers and Warriors. Why? Recruit cost. Even a very high-level Rogue costs a pittance to recruit(Practical example: Level 14 Rogue=700 Gold), and combined with their Stun attack makes them very potent in melee. All this and they'll actually run away at sane HP levels. It's why they patched Stun to be 1000 gold from 350(Solar Plexus Kick also changed up from 300 to 500; the cost of the guild itself was also brought up to 460 from 230) in the early days; it was too effective to rush Stun in one guild, 'mass' rogues(2-3 guilds worth), and destroy things(Remember that skills for heroes only cost them about 5 gold to learn). It's STILL really effective even now despite the fact they're effectively a melee-based Wizard.(Seriously-compare HP counts, cost to upgrade, and the damage/disruption they cause to enemies. The difference is Wizard has more AOE and range.)

Consider an early Wizard's Guild. Not for the Wizards-they're too much of a drain due to frailty before they hit Level 5. However, their building is a requirement for the Magic Bazaar(Generates 200 gold a day, potions can eventually sell real well to Heroes) and the Weapon Enchantment once researched is another early buff that improves the economy and your heroes. +5 to Melee/Ranged/Magic means a lot given all moves are multipliers. It compares well to Blacksmith weapon upgrades. Though you want both in the end, of course.

Parties serve one very important function: Parties are immune to Fear. No matter the odds, a party will fight till the whole lot are destroyed. This is important in several situations, mostly involving enemy hordes, Undead, or both. If the enemy group's too big, heroes will run regardless of whether they could kill them all easily. Undead enemies have a really high fear rating-takes less of them to cause a rout like this. And as stated, Parties are immunt to this.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 22, 2011

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

What should I know about Viewtiful Joe and Viewtiful Joe 2 for PS2?

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
I've been playing FF7 for the past few days. I'm at the town called "Corel" to give you an idea of how far I am.

What can you tell me about the characters? I can't get a good idea of which character is good at what and so forth because I'm still kind of getting used to the battle and stats system.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Ashmole posted:

I've been playing FF7 for the past few days. I'm at the town called "Corel" to give you an idea of how far I am.

What can you tell me about the characters? I can't get a good idea of which character is good at what and so forth because I'm still kind of getting used to the battle and stats system.
Basically all the characters are exactly the same and differ only in their limit breaks. You can build anyone however you want. The only exception I think is that Aeris is naturally lovely at physical attacks but strong with magic. You're supposed to use the characters you think are cool.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ashmole posted:

Top tier team would be cloud, cid, yuffie as they have multi-hit limit breaks. Specifically, omnislash, highwind, and for yuffie her 3-1 or 3-2 bloodrage. To get the second limit break in a tier, use the first one in that level a bunch of times. Highwind is located in a sunken airship thats accessible once you get the submarine. Omnislash is a bit of a pain, consider getting a guide to learn the setup to do it easily.

Don't use aeris, don't equip things on aeris, basically just forget about her.

Do you have at least one enemy skill materia and mind control materia? Go to the beach around the beach resort town after fighting jenova the first time and mind control enemies until you find the one with "white wind". Cast it on the party. You know have an absurdly broken heal spell. I know there is a similar way to get a spell that casts both wall and shell on someone around the same time basically discs before you get that ability yourself.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

Basically all the characters are exactly the same and differ only in their limit breaks. You can build anyone however you want. The only exception I think is that Aeris is naturally lovely at physical attacks but strong with magic. You're supposed to use the characters you think are cool.

Just use Cloud, Yuffie, and Cid because they're all awesome and have sweet limit breaks.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Or Cloud, Yuffie, and Barret, because Barret has ok limit breaks and doesn't need to equip a Long Range materia like Cid does.

But yeah, pretty much the only difference between characters is:
  • limit breaks
  • what stat their ultimate weapon depends on
  • whether their attacks naturally count as "long range"

That said, you probably want to avoid using Cait Sith (he only has two limit breaks, and both of them suck; also, he is a douchebag) and Vincent (he has only four limit breaks, which are actually pretty nice except for when they completely screw you over, eg, during a boss fight when you haven't saved for an hour).

Yuffie and Barret are my personal picks because both are naturally long-range attackers, both have really nice ultimate weapons, and both have decent limit breaks, but with the two exceptions noted above you can't really go wrong with the others, either.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
One thing that should be noted in FF7 in regard to Limit Breaks - Tifa's limit break is a building combo and each new one you unlock adds more hits to it.

Also, don't go to the big island on the west side of the map until you have all the "joke" weapons (the ones with no materia slots; each character has one) for one or two of your preferred characters. Trust me, that will make it far less of a pain in the rear end.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 23, 2011

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

ToxicFrog posted:

That said, you probably want to avoid using Cait Sith (he only has two limit breaks, and both of them suck; also, he is a douchebag) and Vincent (he has only four limit breaks, which are actually pretty nice except for when they completely screw you over, eg, during a boss fight when you haven't saved for an hour).

I agree on Cait Sith, but Vincent's limits don't present that much of a problem. Just don't transform into something that uses elemental attacks against something that absorbs that element (which I'm pretty sure is only two of them anyway).

Fun bonus tip! Vincent's transformation lasts for the entire battle. The Battle Arena is one very long battle. Cast haste, cast regen, level 4 limit, oh look at my endless string of instant death/9999 attacks what's that you say break all materia HAHAHAHAHAHA who gives a poo poo. Easiest drat way to get all the BP you'd ever need.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

OK so its a matter of limit preference then. I was looking to see if different characters were different classes but I guess that's not the case.

Like the other poster said, I wont be touching Aeris since everyone on the games forum knows what happens to her.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

quote:

Fun bonus tip! Vincent's transformation lasts for the entire battle. The Battle Arena is one very long battle. Cast haste, cast regen, level 4 limit, oh look at my endless string of instant death/9999 attacks what's that you say break all materia HAHAHAHAHAHA who gives a poo poo. Easiest drat way to get all the BP you'd ever need.

:aaaaa: Holy poo poo I never even thought of that. The grind to get up to his L4 limit break must be fairly nasty, but you can get enough neat things from the arena that it's probably worth it just to break it that hard.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Getting level 4 limits takes a ton of effort and takes longer to grow the more max health you have. I fear the broken sword reel, at least the broken materia won't gently caress up your damage so much. I don't know if it interferes with his limit, but you always find something new ways to play the game.

Tifa's limit is based on her levels, so unless you have the last reel fully upgraded, you can hit with all "miss".

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011

Mr E posted:

What should I know about Viewtiful Joe and Viewtiful Joe 2 for PS2?

Play on the easiest difficulty. Don't worry, the game will be plenty difficult.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

blakyoshi posted:

I figured as much and expected that, seeing as this is a Clover (Platinum) game.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

blakyoshi posted:

Not true on the PS version, I believe. There's a.. Sweet? Naive? Something like that. Difficulty that's easier the Kids. You unlock Dante for beating it, but it's pretty lame. Kids unlocks the same character.

Beyond that, the other difficulties unlock the following, so keep that in mind as you decide if it's worth it or not:
Any difficulty: Unlocks Viewtiful World, a video.
Adult - Sylvia as well as unlocking V- Rated.
V Rated - Alastor as well as unlocking Ultra V-Rated
Ultra V Rated - Captain Blue

Oh, and not that you'll need it if you can do this, but if you can get Rainbow V rating on every level (V rating every scene), then you unlock unlimited VFX mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I'll state two things right here. Mach Speed makes clones that attack things. These clones can hit things in the 'background'. You'll NEED this later-a boss attacks from the background.

Mach Speed and attacking something for a period makes a shield. You'll need to remember this to break a boss's shield later, by attacking him while your shield is up. He'll provide 'targets' for you, so don't worry about that.