Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I saw this parked on my street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

nsaP posted:

Looks like a Yamaha, is that a yzf600?

Nah, that's a cbr600 f3.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Remember, kids, wear your gear

(when fighting Batman)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Does anyone know if ECE 22.05 or DOT does carom testing? Cause I'm not sure my Caberg would take a bat shaped missile strike.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

BlackMK4 posted:

Nah, that's a cbr600 f3.

Whatever it is, it was manufactured in 1994.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
600F's are the Fiero of the streetfighter world. Not sure what is/was? Probably an F.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Now all that is left to do is learn French

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Spiffness posted:

Despite a completely useless and arbitrary 100hp limit, France has a surprising amount of bike culture.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:48 on May 23, 2011

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Was looking over the site for the Elenore 863cc V8 project and found this image.

This gives me a boner. A desmodromic, precision-engineered german-designed boner.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Crayvex posted:

Whatever it is, it was manufactured in 1994.

It's a CBR600 FR - an F2, or if you prefer "F2.5" or "F2bis".

Aside from the year of manufacture as stated above, it has F2 discs and the remote reservoir shock. This tells you it's the improved F2, not an F3.

Confusingly, IIRC, when they switched to the aluminium frame, people started talking about "F2" meaning a 2001 (2002?) bike, which is actually an F4. I imagine this causes much ebay hillarity.

(obligatory :science: )

Unless US bikes came with painted covers, it may be rocking a later engine. Normally cases are silver.

Supermotard mag is pretty cool. They actually have useful features on a regular basis, and being France the variety of supermotos is mind-boggling. Check out the annual review issue - about 20 pages of factory SMs. e: speaking of French bike culture, this is a pretty good illustration and should be read by every biker:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Joe-Bar-team-1-Fane/dp/2749300568

Saga fucked around with this message at 12:32 on May 23, 2011

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Saga posted:

It's a CBR600 FR - an F2, or if you prefer "F2.5" or "F2bis".

Aside from the year of manufacture as stated above, it has F2 discs and the remote reservoir shock. This tells you it's the improved F2, not an F3.

Confusingly, IIRC, when they switched to the aluminium frame, people started talking about "F2" meaning a 2001 (2002?) bike, which is actually an F4. I imagine this causes much ebay hillarity.

(obligatory :science: )

Unless US bikes came with painted covers, it may be rocking a later engine. Normally cases are silver.

Supermotard mag is pretty cool. They actually have useful features on a regular basis, and being France the variety of supermotos is mind-boggling. Check out the annual review issue - about 20 pages of factory SMs. e: speaking of French bike culture, this is a pretty good illustration and should be read by every biker:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Joe-Bar-team-1-Fane/dp/2749300568

Thanks for the additional info. I was loving the blank slot where gauges would normally go. I assume he slides a GPS or Phone into it for use as a speedo. It was parked outside a tattoo shop. I was kind of hoping the owner would come out and tell me more about it.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
http://www.assfaultjunkies.com/showthread.php?12459-KY-10-22-Riders-WARNING

One of the local forums I've been lurking at looking for decent people to ride with posted this up today. 10/22 are roads that people come from a few hours away to ride, beautiful curves and good visibility, unfortunately the locals don't take kindly to the buzz of bikes all weekend and the dangerous riders.

Usually they just take to emptying their garbage in the road: grass, wood chippings, gravel, whatever. This is getting a bit worse, and although it was technically an illegal pass that doesn't warrant the behaviour and bikes pass faster.

http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/stratosjk/?action=view&current=Vid00012.mp4

Skip to about 2:20 or so.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Goddammit. That truck was all over the loving road afterwards, too. Completely in the opposite lane in multiple corners. That's just hosed up.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

Goddammit. That truck was all over the loving road afterwards, too. Completely in the opposite lane in multiple corners. That's just hosed up.

That's just insane. I read the thread on their forums, looks like the cops don't care. They're debating weather or not to send it to local news stations.

Yes, they're riding fast and aggressively, but it's not redneck Bob's job to be the local traffic cop. I'd love to have seen them snatch his tire iron and beat him unconscious. What a jackass.

Pagan fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 23, 2011

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
So, anyone else carry while riding?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
This is why stealth is the greatest advantage of a motorcyclist. Don't ride in areas that are well known or well traveled, and remember the golden rule: Know your audience.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

BlackMK4 posted:

So, anyone else carry while riding?

I've been debating it, but it's a bitch getting a CCW in my state from what I hear.

That is the dumbest redneck ever

Seriously, that was attempted murder, and he gives chase. This is the exact situation why I want a CCW. No cop would ever have been able to get there in time if the guy really decided to continue trying to kill one of the bikers.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 24, 2011

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Spiffness posted:

"SuperMotard Mag" = SuperMotard Mag :eng101:

Goldwolf
Oct 17, 2003
I love cookies
Bought a bike a couple weeks ago. 2007 Ninja 500R with 3800 miles.

It should be a decent bike for me to learn on before I move up to a big-boy bike.

Edit: Figures I'd fail to attach the pic, totally defeats the purpose!

Goldwolf fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 24, 2011

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

Bondematt posted:

I've been debating it, but it's a bitch getting a CCW in my state from what I hear.

That is the dumbest redneck ever

Seriously, that was attempted murder, and he gives chase. This is the exact situation why I want a CCW. No cop would ever have been able to get there in time if the guy really decided to continue trying to kill one of the bikers.

Open carry and open conceal carry in the state that BlackMk4 and i hail from. :911:

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

NipplesTheCat posted:

Open carry and open conceal carry in the state that BlackMk4 and i hail from. :911:

Do you live in the beautiful state of PA?

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

Demonlord posted:

Do you live in the beautiful state of PA?

The beautiful land of mexicans, xenophobia and religious voting, better known as Arizona.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Strangely open carry is fine in Cali, but concealed carry is a hit or miss depending on the Sheriff. In San Diego it's just a flat out no unless you carry poo poo tons of money.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..

nsaP posted:

http://www.assfaultjunkies.com/showthread.php?12459-KY-10-22-Riders-WARNING

One of the local forums I've been lurking at looking for decent people to ride with posted this up today. 10/22 are roads that people come from a few hours away to ride, beautiful curves and good visibility, unfortunately the locals don't take kindly to the buzz of bikes all weekend and the dangerous riders.

Usually they just take to emptying their garbage in the road: grass, wood chippings, gravel, whatever. This is getting a bit worse, and although it was technically an illegal pass that doesn't warrant the behaviour and bikes pass faster.

http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/stratosjk/?action=view&current=Vid00012.mp4

Skip to about 2:20 or so.

I want to hear more about this soapy water incident they mention in the discussion.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

This is the only way to carry on a motorcycle:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

xd posted:

I want to hear more about this soapy water incident they mention in the discussion.

They all group ride the same time every week so I'd just guess some dude washes his car at the same time every week to gently caress with them, or something. Or one of them just attributed it as being done with malice.

They're a bunch of sportbike riders and they've not taken too kindly to me so far, but whatever. They roll out in huge groups and frequently post about people crashing so I'm not sure I want to know them that well anyway.

Edit: Honestly the more I read about the crashes and locations of many of these forum members I feel like I'm starting to side with the trucker in the video(not really)...I've always looked at it from the perspective of being a driver/landowner and having bikes whizz past, never from the angle of having to worry about morons killing/seriously injuring themselves on your property.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 24, 2011

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

The paralyzed guy that rides with the raiseable wheels got his 650 painted.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

nsaP posted:

They all group ride the same time every week so I'd just guess some dude washes his car at the same time every week to gently caress with them, or something. Or one of them just attributed it as being done with malice.

They're a bunch of sportbike riders and they've not taken too kindly to me so far, but whatever. They roll out in huge groups and frequently post about people crashing so I'm not sure I want to know them that well anyway.

Edit: Honestly the more I read about the crashes and locations of many of these forum members I feel like I'm starting to side with the trucker in the video(not really)...I've always looked at it from the perspective of being a driver/landowner and having bikes whizz past, never from the angle of having to worry about morons killing/seriously injuring themselves on your property.

If people know your route well enough to wash their car every weekend to gently caress with you, you're doing it way wrong.

First mistake is running the same route regularly.
Second mistake is letting them see you run your route regularly.
Third mistake is being loud enough/confrontational enough that some guy is gonna drag himself out of bed on the weekend to wash his car just to gently caress with you.
Fourth mistake is speeding in an area where there's a shitload of driveways, where someone could actually reach have the runoff from washing their car even cross the road.

I'm not saying motorcyclists should avoid every inhabited road, just that if you want to rev it up and ping it through the gears, do it in a place where they can't see or hear you. And for the love of retarded loving god don't ride like an assclown where there are driveways in the first place, they're not expecting bikes at 80+mph through a 55 zone or whatever. No matter how you slice it, these guys sound like idiots, I wouldn't ride with them for love or money, it's just asking to get targeted and zeroed in on for behavior that you have nothing to do with.

The trucker is a malicious rear end in a top hat, the riders are loving morons...it's a match made in internet heaven.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I'd agree with pretty much all of that, and it's why I'd registered but hadn't posted till now. All except for the driveways, we don't have mountain or canyon roads here. Farmlands. To get rural enough where there aren't driveways you'd be on gravel roads in Appalachia.

I don't know how they ride but you can guess from poking around the forums. I love the same roads, but I'm more about the turns and less about banging it up in between them. I rarely use my brakes on the road, just using engine braking to set my speed for turns if they're under the 55 mph limit.

Edit: Something decent came out of this as well, I just got this in a PM from another member:

quote:

Not sure what your status is here or whether you intend to continue with the AFJs, but I've got a little advice for you from someone who's basically an old guy. I'm going on 61, been riding for better than 45 years, so I know a bit about MCs and a bit about riding, and I would not recommend hanging with this group unless you're a very good rider who can resist the lure of the mob mentality on a group ride.

I found this site for the same reason as you--looking for a group to ride with. Not in the two-by-two parade style of a cruiser poker run, but a spirited backroad riders group who enjoy the feeling of working the bike under them thru the twisties. I ride an '08 CBR1000RR and an '07 FJR1300 (just sold my faithful '95 Kaw GPZ1100) so I'm not a putt-er. I've only been on one ride with the AFJs in NKY, and their style of riding I saw convinced me I didn't want to do any more rides with the group. Too much speed, no concern for uncontrollable variables (in the street enviroment) like old ladies in Buicks, farmers in pickup trucks, harvesting equipment on rural roads, gravel wash from drives, and other deadly unknowns. There may be many very good riders who belong to this group, but they leave no margin of safety for mistakes--theirs or others.

In the year or so I've lurked here, I've seen them lose three members to fatal crashes, all of them single vehicle accidents. This spring alone, I think I remember at least 5-6 separate accidents that were serious, including the latest that paralyzed another newb rider. What's scary is that few of the members here see this as a problem for the forum as a group, just merely that crashes are "inevitable" and are a part of an "initiation into the club" of riding MCs. Not good, dude!

Anyhow, if you're interested in hooking up with some more mature riders--and I don't mean that just in the sense of age but more as a descriptrion of the forum riders' skill level--join up with LOCAL FORUM and come out to ride with us. Most of the guys are Cinti locals and we ride many of the same roads the AFJs do, but without the drama or insanity. My forum name is the same as here: FORUM NAME

nsaP fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 24, 2011

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Riding out in desolate areas isn't always an option depending on where you live. One place the I go sometimes is right next to protected wildlands and yet still somehow people manage to build their houses there and get pissed when I whiz past.

One thing I'd add to Z3n's list is prerunning roads. After a few close calls with sand and a new pothole that formed over the winter I always do preruns. Works for cops and crazy residents sometimes too. I have yet to find the discipline to get up real early to ride but I'm working on it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

Riding out in desolate areas isn't always an option depending on where you live. One place the I go sometimes is right next to protected wildlands and yet still somehow people manage to build their houses there and get pissed when I whiz past.

One thing I'd add to Z3n's list is prerunning roads. After a few close calls with sand and a new pothole that formed over the winter I always do preruns. Works for cops and crazy residents sometimes too. I have yet to find the discipline to get up real early to ride but I'm working on it.

It's your exhaust. Swap to a stock exhaust, enjoy the freedom to ride as hard as you want with no one noticing.

I try to avoid riding hard enough on the road that I'd need to do a pre-run. Work on riding at a pace where you can put the bike anywhere on the road at any time, practice modifying your line midcorner, slow in/fast out, lines that maximize sightlines, emergency braking midcorner, etc. All of these are skills that a good road rider should have and be prepared to use at any time.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Retarded Pimp posted:

The paralyzed guy that rides with the raiseable wheels got his 650 painted.

That is seriously cool.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

KARMA! posted:

That is seriously cool.

Meh. I wish it wasn't branded.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tFsGUY10eg&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Af9pISZ0X8

oh man. Check out the bro reviewing the scorpion.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

KozmoNaut posted:

Pity they didn't get a close-up so we could see the massive neck goiter. It's hereditary, you know.

Anyone who's been down roads like this is intimately familiar with Farmer Ted's Marvelous Thresher and Decapitation Thingamajig, which extends well into your lane and sits about yea high. It can be difficult enough to prep for at normal speeds. Heads hats off to their skill, especially under extreme duress.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Vid of Brammo's record TTXGP record lap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omVJHHsrVO0

It's quite odd being able to hear the sliders on the video.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Z3n posted:

It's your exhaust. Swap to a stock exhaust, enjoy the freedom to ride as hard as you want with no one noticing.

I try to avoid riding hard enough on the road that I'd need to do a pre-run. Work on riding at a pace where you can put the bike anywhere on the road at any time, practice modifying your line midcorner, slow in/fast out, lines that maximize sightlines, emergency braking midcorner, etc. All of these are skills that a good road rider should have and be prepared to use at any time.

Husky is stock exhaust. :)

I actually never tried that midcorner stuff but a reread of some old books reminded me that I should.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Hmm. I kind of want to do this, just for the fun of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTDctiyUa9E&feature=related

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Hmm. I kind of want to do this, just for the fun of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTDctiyUa9E&feature=related

That's pretty neat.:science:

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Bucephalus posted:

"SuperMotard Mag" = SuperMotard Mag :eng101:

"Une bonne roue arriere" = "Watch out Martha, Z3n's got that loving KTM out again"

"T'attaquais toi?" = "The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Cycle Asylum > You didn't crash but you're still a dummy. [The almost crash thread]"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.
Saw this on the facebook group for Sportbikes, guy was asking for recommendations for a first bike:

Patrick shuts up after the rest of the guys with common sense continue to berate him.