Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

al-azad posted:

They're Sierra games. That means you can die from the most arbitrary oversights even those you made hours ago.

IMO this also means that there're only one or two ways to do anything, and that the game is best played in a separate YouTube browser window, by someone else, while you browse the GOG thread.

This is how I beat watched someone else beat Return to Zork while literally drinking rye ('course I did) and trying to remember the exact spot I quit playing the game fifteen years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Methodis posted:

Did the Police Quest games age well? Really got into LA Noire recently and want to play something similiar and heard these are, but I am bad at adventure games and if these are like the really hard variety then I'll pass :(.

I'd suggest that you acquire a used Nintendo DS, and try out the Phoenix Wright series. It's like a somewhat goofier version of LA Noire, without the action scenes.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

If you don't mind goofiness or sci fi stuff then Tex Murphy games have their moments.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Blade Runner is like the precursor to L.A. Noire. It's an investigation game with clue finding, suspect interrogation, and clunky action sequences just like L.A. Noire! It's also really good, made by the late Westwood proving they were always ahead of their time (gently caress you EA), and one of the best uses of a licensed property in video gaming.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

You made me think that Blade Runner was on GoG. :(

It's an amazing game. Truly unbelievable story variety. The game actually randomly determines whether $ENORMOUS_SPOILERS, and the ending varies hugely as a result. When I first played it, I enabled the "Director's Cut" option without knowing what it did (it cuts out all the hero's inner monologues), and as a result thought it was the most beautiful and least hand-holding game in existence. The first time you go back to your apartment, the character feeds his dog, then walks out to his balcony and just looks at the city in silence, and I was looking with him. It took me a while before I realized I actually had control the whole time, and went back inside to get to work.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
The only problem I had with Blade Runner was that I could never ever get a definitive result on a VK test

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

The only problem I had with Blade Runner was that I could never ever get a definitive result on a VK test

So you always have that doubt that they may or may not be a replicant? Perhaps you made a mistake in executing that guy...

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
maybe they didn't even know they were replicants :ohdear:

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

synertia posted:

So you always have that doubt that they may or may not be a replicant? Perhaps you made a mistake in executing that guy...

But at least some of the tests are meant to come out with definitive results, I never got one. All the walkthroughs etc that I've read have stated a particular pattern of questions to ask in order to get a result and I've never been able to make it work.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

doctorfrog posted:

IMO this also means that there're only one or two ways to do anything

You forgot to mention that when there's two ways to do something, one of those ways will use an item you need for a later puzzle, thus screwing you with a seemingly "correct" solution.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

But at least some of the tests are meant to come out with definitive results, I never got one. All the walkthroughs etc that I've read have stated a particular pattern of questions to ask in order to get a result and I've never been able to make it work.

I've never had definitive results and I'm kind of surprised that it's actually in the game, didn't know it happened. I thought you just had to rely on intuition as in the film, usually you're sure what's what, but it's playing on your doubts, for good reason (human or replicant what's the difference at the end of day, etc).

Totally right talking about it in the same context as LA Noire though. That game is alright as far as it goes but Blade Runner is the definitive article.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
I was playing Witcher 2 today, and I challenged an NPC to a dice game. When I beat him, he gave me a strange relic that he was carrying.

The relic gives me a 20% discount on Atari games from GOG.com.

I think that this is a fantastic alternative to achievements.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

I was playing Witcher 2 today, and I challenged an NPC to a dice game. When I beat him, he gave me a strange relic that he was carrying.

:aaaaa:

Man, I hope that's there even if you get the game from Steam, because that is a brilliant cross-promotion.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I picked up the UFO Trilogy, but I haven't been able to find much in the way of guides or tips for them. I'm playing Aftermath at the moment but would appreciate any tips for any of them, if you have them.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

This would be far more impressive if I weren't able to simply follow a link to the redemption page from the GOG.com forums. I was expecting, like, a unique redemption code slapped into each copy of the game when I read that.

It's still a good idea, though. Maybe if Valve started slipping this kind of thing into their games instead of hats.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Dr Snofeld posted:

I picked up the UFO Trilogy, but I haven't been able to find much in the way of guides or tips for them. I'm playing Aftermath at the moment but would appreciate any tips for any of them, if you have them.

Okay for Aftermath there's a few things that are unique to it:
The combat engine is probably the best of the 3 games (which is wierd since it's the first one). What that means is that there's lots of cool cover things where your soldiers will actually lean around objects to shoot at enemies - use that to your advantage.

Also, especially in the beginning, it might be a good idea to keep one lightly equipped person with high agility as a "runner". He draws fire, then runs from cover to cover (be sure not to turn around and always keep going - wide circles) because the really heavy hitting mutants will all have slow moving projectiles.

Further ,grenades - love em, use em, lob em over walls. And keep in mind you can destroy parts of the environment, so if need be go through a brick instead of around.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Haha, what. That is awesome.

ParagonParadox27
Jun 20, 2005

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

O holky gently caress. That's absolutely awesome!

DatonKallandor posted:

Okay for Aftermath there's a few things that are unique to it:
The combat engine is probably the best of the 3 games (which is wierd since it's the first one). What that means is that there's lots of cool cover things where your soldiers will actually lean around objects to shoot at enemies - use that to your advantage.

Also, especially in the beginning, it might be a good idea to keep one lightly equipped person with high agility as a "runner". He draws fire, then runs from cover to cover (be sure not to turn around and always keep going - wide circles) because the really heavy hitting mutants will all have slow moving projectiles.

Further ,grenades - love em, use em, lob em over walls. And keep in mind you can destroy parts of the environment, so if need be go through a brick instead of around.

I hated Aftermath, personally. The middle one was the best, in my opinion. But none of them come close to UFO Extraterrestrials with the biggest of its mods to make it basically X-COM 2. :)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Hahaha really? That's awesome, all games should do this.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Going to need some more details on this. Wanna cop dat 20% off coupon.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

That's just so loving awesome. Something that has actual real world value :D

ParagonParadox27
Jun 20, 2005
X-COM-inspired games note, it appears that Xenonauts is also in the works, and was supposed to be out last month according to Wikipedia! :doh: Here's hoping they eventually finish the fucker, because I'd kill to have a more-modern X-COM to play. (UFO ET aside, which is good as hell with aforementioned mod)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

ParagonParadox27 posted:

O holky gently caress. That's absolutely awesome!

I hated Aftermath, personally. The middle one was the best, in my opinion. But none of them come close to UFO Extraterrestrials with the biggest of its mods to make it basically X-COM 2. :)

I find Aftershock the most interesting overall, but I do kind of prefer some of the mechanics from the earlier games, and none of them quite live up to the original X-com. Still though, there aren't a lot of pseudo-real time tactical games out there (at least until that JA2 remake gets finished), so I'd say they're worth checking out if you're absolutely dying for something in that genre.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

The Machine posted:

Going to need some more details on this. Wanna cop dat 20% off coupon.

There you go :)

ParagonParadox27
Jun 20, 2005

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Wow, some actual nice deals in there. Total Annihilation + expansion, Kingdoms + expansion (didn't even know there WAS an expansion for TAK!), Independence War 2, Master of Magic, Master of Orion 1+2 together, $4.79 each? Those are killer drat deals.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I was on the fence about buying The Witcher 2 since I never finished 1. GoG delivers though and I feel compelled to support them.

ParagonParadox27
Jun 20, 2005
Is this the first major new-game release GOG has handled? I think it is, but I can't recall because I haven't exactly been following them too closely (no :10bux: :() (PS can we get some uniformity on GOG/GoG/Gog? I think it should be GOG but I see GoG everywhere, like it's the AIDs)

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

ParagonParadox27 posted:

Is this the first major new-game release GOG has handled? I think it is, but I can't recall because I haven't exactly been following them too closely (no :10bux: :() (PS can we get some uniformity on GOG/GoG/Gog? I think it should be GOG but I see GoG everywhere, like it's the AIDs)

The publisher owns GOG which is the only reason it happened.

ParagonParadox27
Jun 20, 2005

TOOT BOOT posted:

The publisher owns GOG which is the only reason it happened.

Doh, that sucks. I love GOG and think they should get more of these releases. :(

ParagonParadox27
Jun 20, 2005
Just bought the UFO trilogy, hated the first one and liked the second two for what few hours I played of each (forgot why I stopped -Shock, but -Light was the loving water pipeline securing Zerg rush that I couldn't do even when I knew it would happen and did nothing but try to secure a route to the north pole. :(), does anyone know if there are any good mods for either that improve them substantially enough to care about getting them?

edit: Make that only Afterlight; there's a -Shock thread on their forums that link to two big mods.

ParagonParadox27 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 23, 2011

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
The total rebalance mod for Afterlight adds a lot of equipment for your men, including attachments like underbarrel shotguns and grenade launchers (which were in Shock but cut from Light for whatever reason), ammo types, guns, and suit add-ons.

You can get it here.

ParagonParadox27
Jun 20, 2005
Exactly what I was hoping for, thank you!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

ParagonParadox27 posted:

Doh, that sucks. I love GOG and think they should get more of these releases. :(

If it turns out to be a success, there's no reason they could't! Gamersgate is similarly owned/founded by a publishing company, and they get plenty of new, DRM-free releases.

ParagonParadox27
Jun 20, 2005

Doc Hawkins posted:

If it turns out to be a success, there's no reason they could't! Gamersgate is similarly owned/founded by a publishing company, and they get plenty of new, DRM-free releases.

I did not know that, I've never noticed Gamersgate getting anything good previously; at least this sort of publishing is starting to pick up some steam with TW2!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Doc Hawkins posted:

Gamersgate is similarly owned/founded by a publishing company, and they get plenty of new, DRM-free releases.

This should be mentioned more often. See ^^^^. The way people talk is like GOG are the only guys doing it. GamersGate are the prime distributors of the Paradox titles. They also carry tons of indie (crap mostly, but hey, it's a free world) stuff that won't show up in Steam or anywhere else for that matter.

True, though, that GG also carries stuff with DRM, but they will always be straightforward with their users in those cases.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Haha, when I read "Atari games" I assumed the D&D RPGs would be on there, but I guess not!

Oh well, I guess $4.79 is good enough for TA: K since I own most of those already. Thanks! :D

edit- Also wanted to say that this is a really awesome idea! I wonder if there's any other hidden stuff in the game like that. :tinfoil:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Saoshyant posted:

This should be mentioned more often. See ^^^^. The way people talk is like GOG are the only guys doing it. GamersGate are the prime distributors of the Paradox titles. They also carry tons of indie (crap mostly, but hey, it's a free world) stuff that won't show up in Steam or anywhere else for that matter.

If I'm not mistaken, GG games require activation, making it about the same in my mind as Impulse games, and my recent purchase from Amazon:

GamersGate posted:

Can i download a game on one computer and install it on another one?

Yes, you can.

1) Copy the download file and the temp folder as they are located near each other
2) Paste on another computer that has connection to the internet
3) Run the download file and fill in the login/password if necessary
4) The installation process will start automatically, if the temporary folder is in place, since it will find the install files.

NOTE: Internet connection is required for performing the installation process. Installation cannot be made manually. It is done automatically and it requires internet connection to be performed properly.

e: I know you were mainly talking about new releases, but DRM is DRM. It's an important distinction for some, not so much for others.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 23, 2011

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I was looking to scratch a pinball itch and was wondering if any of the ones on Gog are worth my time? The Pro Pinballs seem to be rather well received, but are they really only one table each?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

doctorfrog posted:

If I'm not mistaken, GG games require activation, making it about the same in my mind as Impulse games, and my recent purchase from Amazon:

e: I know you were mainly talking about new releases, but DRM is DRM. It's an important distinction for some, not so much for others.

Thankfully, the "DRM" on GG games is easy to remove. Start installer, make a copy of the setup.exe or install.exe, cancel install, copy the file back again. You've now circumvented their DRM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ParagonParadox27
Jun 20, 2005

ymgve posted:

Thankfully, the "DRM" on GG games is easy to remove. Start installer, make a copy of the setup.exe or install.exe, cancel install, copy the file back again. You've now circumvented their DRM.

Wow, that's just amazing.