Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckjob
Aug 22, 2003
Pack 'n Save has everyday low prices
Shameless crossposting from SAD - Some shots from Yosemite:

Sky 4 by capacity4action, on Flickr

Sky 1 by capacity4action, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Saw this on reddit, thought you guys might like it:

quote:

Nick Risinger, a 28-year-old native of Seattle, trekked more than 60,000 miles around the western United States and South Africa to create the largest-ever true-color image of the stellar sphere. The final result is an interactive, zoomable sky map showing the full Milky Way and the stars, planets, galaxies and nebulae around it.
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/04/sky-panorama/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well that settles it, I never have to bother taking my camera out at night because I can't imagine a way to match that kind of effort.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
Some from tonight. Also got one at the train yards but it had too much lens flare :(

Safe Fuel by JEB-Stuart, on Flickr

Tank by JEB-Stuart, on Flickr

Piping by JEB-Stuart, on Flickr

Lead away by JEB-Stuart, on Flickr

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Took some shots with a friend yesterday. I shot in 35mm so mine aren't back yet, but here are his.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Don't know what thread this should go in, but Mercury, venus, mars and jupiter are all going to have a dance off this month.

Hopefully some of you guys get good shots!

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
Anybody doing their long exposures with a NEX? I've been thinking of selling my canon gear in favor of a much smaller system like the NEX and wanted to know how it performs at night.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Crossposted from SAD:

I've been on an underexposure kick lately. I think it works especially well with night time shots.

Took these messing around in the mountains of Phoenix.

Phoenix Mountains and city at night by matt-f, on Flickr

Phoenix at night by matt-f, on Flickr

Phoenix Night Mountainscape by matt-f, on Flickr

Phoenix mountains by matt-f, on Flickr

Also one normal night time exposure:

Phoenix parking garage by matt-f, on Flickr

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
This is a 4 exposure 35mm film HDR shot. Excuse me for the poo poo on my negatives, this HDR was made directly from the scans; no chances to clean them up.

jm3000
Jan 19, 2004

Pancake Dance Party
Nap Ghost

Under the Bridge by johnm3000, on Flickr

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

Suicide Watch posted:

This is a 4 exposure 35mm film HDR shot. Excuse me for the poo poo on my negatives, this HDR was made directly from the scans; no chances to clean them up.

It's a fine shot, but where's the extra dynamic range coming into play?

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

scottch posted:

It's a fine shot, but where's the extra dynamic range coming into play?

Here are my source photos: http://imgur.com/a/27Dvj#NKHwC
I probably just made a really bad rendering. How's this one? (click for larger)

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
This was definitely worth sitting outside at 3am for. I wish the storm had been more intense...

IMG_6557ps by jgerun, on Flickr

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
removed

Suicide Watch fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 30, 2011

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Holy poo poo, I got to see Saturn from Cincinnati's Observatory tonight, was clear as day....got some contacts to talk to about taking photos through their telescopes, one of which might be the oldest in America apparently...

I'm pretty stoked, if I can take a picture of Saturn the way I saw it tonight I'll be so happy, even though there are a million already...

Punkin Donuts
Oct 3, 2003

You know what time it is.

gh0st
May 24, 2011

various lengths between 10 and 20 minutes :-)

FlushablPet
Apr 27, 2002
AtKajAndAarAt

The Doors by flushablpet, on Flickr

I was biking around Brooklyn when I rode past these warehouse doors on the dockfront. The light spilling out looked serene, so I couldn't resist grabbing a shot.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

First time trying to shoot lightning.

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

gh0st posted:

I really like this one.

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME

FretforyourLatte posted:

First time trying to shoot lightning.

:drat:

This is some shot!

I may well have already posted it in here - I can't remember - but in this vein here is some lightning I captured last year during the early days of the Eyjafjallajokull eruption (the sub-glacial phase). Click to enlarge.

I took a bunch more (actually a full time-lapse) but these are probably the best.

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

jadias posted:

:drat:

This is some shot!

I may well have already posted it in here - I can't remember - but in this vein here is some lightning I captured last year during the early days of the Eyjafjallajokull eruption (the sub-glacial phase). Click to enlarge.

I took a bunch more (actually a full time-lapse) but these are probably the best.

These are great, I would love to see that timelapse.

kardinal
Sep 21, 2003

My God, the tools that brought us here are utterly inadequate.
Figured I'd post these here since they're relatively long exposure and don't really fit into the landscape thread. We've had some pretty intense storms here just about every day this week, which has lead to lots of time spent in the parking deck downtown chasing the dragon.

This was my first time being successful at actually getting good lightning shots, now I am jonesing for more night time storms.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Not my shot, but figured you guys would like this APOD from the other day :cool:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Nothing special, but it was a nice night.

Full Moon from Balcony by torgeaux, on Flickr

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

After many months of bad weather, equipment problems, and too much work, I finally had a good night to shoot this.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Not my shot, but figured you guys would like this APOD from the other day :cool:

Holy poo poo this is such an amazing photo

greatapoc
Apr 4, 2005
Thought you all might like this article: http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sci-tech/astronomy-now-has-a-new-star-on-the-horizon-20110622-1gfhk.html

There's a few of his photos in there. I find star trails pretty boring but the shots of the open sky are incredible.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

And another narrowband image.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geza_kurczveil/5873954476/in/photostream

I hope this weather holds up for a couple of months.

Wayfaring Stranger
Feb 16, 2011
I'm loving the Dorkroom as a whole- You folks are great and I've gained some valuable insight being a wallflower in your discussions. I've lurked for about a month now and decided it's time to contribute:

Bargate, Southampton by chaussée, on Flickr

ISO 200; f/16; 4 seconds. I am fairly pleased with the exposure but I was working with a poo poo tripod so I don't think the horizon is exactly level.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

NoneMoreNegative posted:

"Lightning Eclipse from the Planet of the Goats". Well, there's a metal-as-gently caress album title if I've ever heard one :rock:

MrOpus
Mar 21, 2004

It's fireworks time.

Independence Day Fireworks 2011 by Chad Larson Photography, on Flickr

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Here is a hyper wide shot of M27.

This is probably the last one for this new moon period.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Got my tripod figured out and found something that I could focus in on at infinity from my backyard at night, so I tried some star shots tonight.

DSC_0404.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_0394.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_0406.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_0383.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Sadly those clouds you see were part of a storm rolling in, and it got windy enough that I couldn't get a clean exposure. Of course the last shot I took, right before I realized it was too windy picked up a meteor, but the whole thing wound up a blurry mess.

DSC_0407.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr :negative:

Figured a lot about what worked and what didn't with my camera though, so was worth all the mosquito bites.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Los Angeles in the morning by xxyzz road, on Flickr

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Los Angeles in the morning by xxyzz road, on Flickr

I love this. Want to hang it on my wall.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
Some star shots from camping over 4th of July weekend.

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.

FretforyourLatte posted:

Some star shots from camping over 4th of July weekend.

These are really cool, can I ask what your exposure/aperture was for these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Blurry Backyard Bush by ericherren, on Flickr

Untitled by ericherren, on Flickr

Fireworks are so much fun!