Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Brigdh posted:

A warning as summer approaches: drink lots of water and try to stay in the shade when possible.

We had someone faint yesterday in grid due to heat exhaustion
Also, sun screen.
At least once a season, I'll forget sunscreen (despite the fact that i have it in my autocross box [has my tools, numbers, etc] I take to all events) and that sucks. For like a week after.
I'm going to get skin cancer at the age of 32, don't be like me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

localized
Mar 30, 2008

Slow is Fast posted:

Went around a turn. lovely stock suspension + body roll leaned the cars fender liner on the tire. Fender liner rips off and gets pooped out the side of the car. While that was going on, the dorky mudflap I have on the car got pulled forward onto the wheel by the fender liner, causing the flap and bottom of the outer fender to ride up the wheel crunching up.

I finished my run. :c00l:

Fender looked worse than it was, but I unbolted it and tossed it aside rather than trying to uncrunch it and rehang it.

I honestly don't know how the gently caress I managed to do that.

Man, now I'm bummed that I skipped going to that...

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Brigdh posted:

A warning as summer approaches: drink lots of water and try to stay in the shade when possible.

We had someone faint yesterday in grid due to heat exhaustion

This is why I don't autocross in the summer in Phoenix. :)

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Hey GTA Ontario goons! Autocross in Brampton on Saturday!

http://www.wiredmotorsports.com/pitl/

Hey London Ontario goons! Autocross at Delaware speedware on Sunday!

http://wosca.com/Event_info/SummerSeries2011.htm

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Autox starts up this weekend for any Manitoba goons:

http://www.wscc.mb.ca/

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Ziploc posted:

If I'm not in brockville looking for an apartment I'll be there. :D

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Dixie Region AutoX at Spence Field for you Southeast (SEDIV) goons. Look for a white Miata with black stripes if you decide to visit.

http://www.dixiescca.com/

I've still got to roll my fenders to clear the Hankooks, and re-time it. Oh christ I've got the itch bad right now I want to race auuuuuuuuuuugh

King-Kong
Oct 15, 2003
Leader of the Apes

Phone posted:

Nothing. I drove my car at autocross for 2 full seasons before I pulled the clutch due to a seized pilot bearing; the friction material was only slightly smaller than the new one I was putting in. The flywheel was blued a bit, but I think that's because I had somebody slipping the clutch at 6k the day before. :stare:

3.5-4K will get the rears rolling and you'll stop spinning them in plenty time for your shift into 2nd.

Despite only getting 2 runs before a hurricane washed us out this weekend, the 3.5-4k dump resulted in vastly improved launches. Thank you.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
First ever autocross complete: I just drove a stock NA miata faster than a whole field of S2000's

:smug:

Flesh Croissant fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 16, 2011

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Just finished the first autocross weekend of the season. It was a ridiculous amount of fun and I can't wait for the next one.
Here's me dodging some cones in my car/truck/cruck?:

(Courtesy of a local racer and business owner)

shane86
Aug 7, 2008
Any goons going to the ProSolo/National Tour event in Lincoln, NE at the end of the month? 4-Days of Autocrossin' on a huge lot with a great surface.. Can't wait :D

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Bajaha posted:

Just finished the first autocross weekend of the season. It was a ridiculous amount of fun and I can't wait for the next one.
Here's me dodging some cones in my car/truck/cruck?:

(Courtesy of a local racer and business owner)

Yessss, your car was pretty flat through the corners :)

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

TrueChaos posted:

If I'm not in brockville looking for an apartment I'll be there. :D

Did you make it out?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Ziploc posted:

Did you make it out?

Na, was in brockville. I'll be at the one on the 24th if I don't have something needing to get done. I'm moving as of june 1st for work, so I'll be going to the ottawa ones after then XD

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King

Ziploc posted:

I did the school + a race in Ottawa a few years back with an Accord, and have been dying to go do it again now that I live in Toronto. How badly would I get laughed at if I showed up with a Mazda 6 Wagon?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

ReaperUnreal posted:

I did the school + a race in Ottawa a few years back with an Accord, and have been dying to go do it again now that I live in Toronto. How badly would I get laughed at if I showed up with a Mazda 6 Wagon?

If anything, you would be cheered on like a hero (as long as you drive the PISS out of it! If the tires aren't smoking in the corners you're NOT TRYING HARD ENOUGH!)

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

You can take whatever you want!
The Mazda club is pretty cool that way. I went twice with my Vibe before I decided it just wasn't fun without the Miata and fell out of the group. Someday I'll get another fun car and pick it up again :(

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

_firehawk posted:

Novice Class was fun. And all season RSA's suck balls.

Whats up fellow SCCA and novice goon. I was the blue WRX Wagon there. Also you finished with some flare there I liked it.

Fievel Goes Bi fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 16, 2011

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Beach Bum posted:

If anything, you would be cheered on like a hero (as long as you drive the PISS out of it! If the tires aren't smoking in the corners you're NOT TRYING HARD ENOUGH!)

What this guy said. We had a rusted green Tercel come out on 10 year old winter tires. Guy was a former ice racer and left-foot-braked it so much the pads started blowing smoke. Was awesome.

As long as your there to learn, no one cares how fast you go or what you drive.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Yessss, your car was pretty flat through the corners :)

Surprisingly, yeah. I think I've gotten smoother since last year which I'm guessing is helping a lot with that :)
Observe the amazing lean I had last year :haw:

Which car were you driving? or were you just watching?

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Bajaha posted:

Blue Mustang, it's been a while and boy do my times suck. It also doesn't help that the car is forced into SM class.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Bajaha posted:

Surprisingly, yeah. I think I've gotten smoother since last year which I'm guessing is helping a lot with that :)
Observe the amazing lean I had last year :haw:

Hahahah that plate.

I have way more body roll than that. I can't figure out why my Miata rolls so drat much. Maybe the surface rust on the rear rollbar is really weakening it.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I don't think any MX-5 has a particularly hard stock suspension. It's very light and is still a street car at the end of the day. Maybe your shocks are worn out. Maybe your tires are too grippy :v:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
nm

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
The Miata was designed to ride the bumpstops when cornering hard. That was how Mazda got it to handle well in turns but still have a tolerable ride around town.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Stock Miatas are all over the bumpstops. The spring rates are 150 inch-pounds in the front and 90 in the rear. Soft but not sloppy.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I busted my lip off on some cones and ran over it. That was an easy $170. Just going to ziptie it back together where it ripped and run it for now, though.

And before my lip came off..

The day started off super wet, and then got a LOT faster. I won ST, but I need to get closer to those cones.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-xp1gh9Y8A&t=253s

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
New wheels and a set of R compounds should make for a fun day sunday. Yes I know they are ugly but they were cheap on craigslist and came with the tires.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
On the contrary. Those look rad.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Lightbulb Out posted:

I busted my lip off on some cones and ran over it. That was an easy $170. Just going to ziptie it back together where it ripped and run it for now, though.

And before my lip came off..

The day started off super wet, and then got a LOT faster. I won ST, but I need to get closer to those cones.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-xp1gh9Y8A&t=253s

That was a beautiful drift at the back turnaround.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
So is anyone else showing up to the Marana auto-x tomorrow? I'd strongly encourage any Tucson/Phoenix guys to come on out!

Going to be a pretty fast course.

Conelrad fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 21, 2011

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Podothehobbit posted:

So is anyone else showing up to the Marana auto-x tomorrow? I'd strongly encourage any Tucson/Phoenix guys to try it out!

Going to be a pretty fast course.

What a weird finish. I forsee that cone wall on the right getting demolished a few times.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

Beach Bum posted:

What a weird finish. I forsee that cone wall on the right getting demolished a few times.

Yeah Marana always has a thing for weird finishes although we rarely see an extreme dnf from it. I do feel like we're skirting closer and closer to the taxiways which makes me a little nervous but if Marana Airport Authority has no issue with it then I guess I shouldn't.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

As long as we don't get *on* the taxiways, Marana is fine with it since the rules are that all cars get red-flagged and stopped for any taxiway activity.

In all the times I've run there, we've only had to stop for aircraft a couple of times, as those taxiways are rarely used (both times it was for an aircraft taxiing to an unused corner of the airport for engine runup testing).

p.s. Sadly, I won't be there this weekend. I haven't gotten my PS leak fixed yet, and it's getting warm enough anyway that the lack of A/C means the car will pretty much be parked for the Summer now.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Goddamn that looks like fun. I'm too busy this weekend getting any relaxing I can get in done since I'll be traveling next weekend.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
So had a fun time out at Marana just now. Unfotunatele I had my first mechanical failure in the form of a busted brake line but luckily I managed to keep it under control. Other interesting things, I was finally able to drive my friend's CTS-V and all I could say was wow, a whole different beast to the Yaris!

Overall it was a great event and the track layout was a blast this month. Next month we'll be doing a rare Saturday auto-x so you guys should come out if you can!

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

TrueChaos posted:

Ziploc, any chance you could post the run of mine you video'd? I'd love to see it.

HADA is being a lazy bitch about results, so here's your off course untagged video. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGrwSR1oD9M

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Ziploc posted:

HADA is being a lazy bitch about results, so here's your off course untagged video. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGrwSR1oD9M

Awesome, thanks! It was tonnes of fun. I should be at PITL next weekend :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Given that max-q is long since gone, what is a good, cheap datalogger?
Preferably one that works on a smart phone.
edit: This doesn't mean the smart phone needs to do anything but display, I don't want something that just uses the phone's crappy GPS

nm fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 23, 2011

• Locked thread