Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Luquos posted:

Advantage of working food service. If I'm sick, then by god, they will not let me in there. Not that I'd want to.

You have some real nice managers. I was vomiting in the bathroom and being threatened with a termination if I even THOUGHT about leaving. I actually ran to the bathroom while taking an order to vomit. Fast food :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

2508084 posted:

You have some real nice managers. I was vomiting in the bathroom and being threatened with a termination if I even THOUGHT about leaving. I actually ran to the bathroom while taking an order to vomit. Fast food :toot:

Now this I'm absolutely sure is illegal as gently caress.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

miscellaneous14 posted:

Oh well yes, a lot of things they did were illegal as gently caress. I reported a lot of them. No one cared, not even the health department v:)v

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

miscellaneous14 posted:

It's the same at the restaurant I work at.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

miscellaneous14 posted:

The thing about retail jobs doing stuff that is classified as illegal is that it's pretty hard to prove. Unless your boss constantly complains about your race in front of other people, or states in writing that they will fire you if you call in sick (despite having a genuine documented illness), it often ends up as a 'your word against theirs' situation.

At one stage I tried to lodge a complaint with the workplace ombudsman, because I felt my horrible retail job fired me because I pointed out to them that certain actions they were requesting of me were prohibited by the fair work act (going to work 30 minutes early and staying 30 minutes late unpaid, not getting mandatory breaks, etc).
The ombudsmans office told me if I wasn't able to produce hard evidence such as getting my coworkers to make a statement that I was telling the truth (unlikely to happen as everyone else employed there was a friend or family member of the management), such a case for unpaid wages and unfair dismissal was going to be very difficult to prove, especially because I was under a casual hourly worker contract.

TL;DR - gently caress retail, join the union if they actually have any clout or power in your area, document anything they ask you to do where you feel like they're threatening your job security if you don't agree to do it and don't work for franchises where the manager usually only employs friends and family.

froglet fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 23, 2011

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
^ there is no retail union and generally speaking, you cant afford to join a union on retail wages. But I agree, if youre going to work retail :siren: NEVER WORK A FRANCHISE :siren:. When we were corporate, my old manager would have poo poo HIMSELF if we didnt have hot water. Everything would have been shut down until it was fixed and everything was sanitized. We went franchise and it went to poo poo. Employees sweating in food and poo poo. Ugh.

Oh god this is a whole rant I don't think I ever went on.

The Health Department

People think The Health Department is some kind of superhero network. Surely, if something illegal or unsanitary were going on The Health Department would shut that store down ASAP!!! There would be police!! FINES!! People would be fired!!!

FUUUUUUUUCK NO.

I called the health department while I was working fast food. We had been running almost an entire day with no hot water. No hot water means no sanitation procedures. The dishes were being "washed" in cold water, employees were washing their hands (haha no one washes their hands, but I mean when they had time occasionally once in a while) in cold water. No hot water = no sanitation at all. I called the health department because our area manager said if we didnt remain open and serve people we were all fired.

The health department called our manager at home and asked her if we were closed. Manager said "Oh golly yes!!!!" and that was it. Despite the fact you could drive by and see that we were serving people. Or pull our logs and see we made a couple grand that day. They didn't even bother when I told them we were using expired syrups and other products to serve the public. Nothing ever happened, ever. I think my lead got written up for shutting the store down for an hour before reopening when we had no hot water. I know her hours got heavily cut afterwards.

The health department doesn't give a poo poo until someone dies.

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 23, 2011

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

2508084 posted:

Oh god this is a whole rant I don't think I ever went on.

The Health Department

People think The Health Department is some kind of superhero network. Surely, if something illegal or unsanitary were going on The Health Department would shut that store down ASAP!!! There would be police!! FINES!! People would be fired!!!

FUUUUUUUUCK NO.

I called the health department while I was working fast food. We had been running almost an entire day with no hot water. No hot water means no sanitation procedures. The dishes were being "washed" in cold water, employees were washing their hands (haha no one washes their hands, but I mean when they had time occasionally once in a while) in cold water. No hot water = no sanitation at all. I called the health department because our area manager said if we didnt remain open and serve people we were all fired.

The health department called our manager at home and asked her if we were closed. Manager said "Oh golly yes!!!!" and that was it. Despite the fact you could drive by and see that we were serving people. Or pull our logs and see we made a couple grand that day. They didn't even bother when I told them we were using expired syrups and other products to serve the public. Nothing ever happened, ever. I think my lead got written up for shutting the store down for an hour before reopening when we had no hot water. I know her hours got heavily cut afterwards.

The health department doesn't give a poo poo until someone dies.

:barf:
I take it your former workplace isn't in Western Australia, 2508084?
Seriously, whenever I hear about stuff like that it makes me paranoid about wherever I go out to eat for days afterwards.

Then again if a friend told me about that, I'd offer to go over, buy an item, then a few days later lodge a complaint with the health department about contracting food poisoning after eating there.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

froglet posted:

:barf:
I take it your former workplace isn't in Western Australia, 2508084?

No, no. US goon. I worked for a clown that was second to In-N-Out, but above Carls Jr. I refrain from naming explicitly because.. well.. liability. Coincidentally, all (or at least 90%, i know they owned most if not all) the restaurants that are franchised in my lovely golden state are owned by the people who own the one i worked at :j:

e: my former company might or might not have killed people in the past due to unsanitary practice. However, corporate was more interested in the reasons surrounding my quitting than the fact a store was serving expired product and sweating in customer food :ssh:

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

silversiren posted:

I spoke with my manager again yesterday about my NEED for full-time. I told him the reason I needed full time wasn't extra playing around money, it was because the conditions in my home were making it to where I could no longer live here. I'm desperate at this point; I even took on a second shift today to hope that they'd see how much I needed this. It was only a 3 1/2 hour shift which puts me up to 18 hours this week. It definitely wasn't worth the time I spent working with shitbag pieces of poo poo lovely poo poo customers and my back and shoulders are hurting so bad I feel like crying, and it really wasn't that much money either, but I don't know what else to do to convince them I need full time.
He's helped other people out before, I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I just need help and no one's giving it.

Are you just talking to them repeatedly hoping for them to schedule you in for more hours? When I was getting poo poo hours when I had just transferred (which was late jan, early feb in retail - double whammy!) I would put a little note up by the time clock requesting shifts from coworkers who didn't want their Saturday shifts, talked to them in the breakroom and on the sales floor, and when that didn't work I'd call in on my days off asking if the store is busy and I can come in to work any department for as long as you you want, sir! I still only get scheduled about 35 hours a week when I really need 40, so I just go up the the nice manager when my shift is over and say "hey childrens is looking really roughed up after that sale, mind if I stay til 7 and help clean it up?" Works every time for me, but I have no idea how your place operates.

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
All right guys be gentle on me. I'm 33 have been at the same food service job for 8 years and welp things are about to go really far south(and yes I am aware how pathetic that is). I'm terrified to go out and look for new jobs, feel like i'm too old/tattooed(not face coverable w/sleeves)and not experienced to find anything. The job market here is poo poo and I really don't want to be in food service/dealing with customers anymore. Anyone have any suggestions for getting back out there?

Going back to school is an option, but I have no clue what I would want to do, everyone is suggesting medical field but there's no way. The only course at the local community college I am remotely interested in is forensic photography but that's a long shot.

Thanks for whatever help ya'll can give.

uptown
May 16, 2009

drat Bananas posted:

Do servers post in this thread too? I was at a hibachi place last night and the waitress accidentally dumped a full beer on me (not "ahh it splashed me as it hit the floor!" but full on down my shoulder and into my lap) and while she apologized and got napkins to clean it up off the floor (I guess my own napkin was good enough to get all of me) I feel like it's standard for them to offer you something free so you don't go off hating that restaurant. Got nothing, wasn't sure how rude it would be to ask. She was pretty much a mess anyway, since we were the last couple seated she had already taken drink orders and we weren't able to order ours until she took food orders from everyone, she gave everyone but my boyfriend their soup and had to be reminded twice, gave me my desert but no utensil (and when I asked for two to split it with the bf she only brought one)... I didn't want to get her in trouble by bringing it up to anyone, and at the same time we weren't sure if the tip on the bill goes to her or the cook (who was great) so ehhh. wwjd?

I would have complained. Your post is a few days old but if I were you I would call the manager - Not to ask for anything free or be a jerk about the server, but to inform him/her of the terrible service you received. You might get something free out of it, you might not, but if someone isn't going to work for their money then I really do believe they should be reprimanded or fired - Especially when we have people in this thread talking about how they do so well and put in so much effort at their jobs, only to be poo poo on when people with poor performance somehow end up with higher pay, better shifts, etc.

Now then, onto my complaints about my job.

Currently, we are understaffed. I went on a two week trip and in that two weeks, three people quit with no notice, one was fired (this was a good thing, but still...), and one person finished working out her two weeks' notice and so was also gone when I came back. We got a bunch of new hires, but one of them is a back-room thief, one of them is REALLY dumb (not only is she bad at her job, she's bad at... life), and one of them is a COMPLETE know-it-all with a very abrasive personality. Blah. We have managers for each department (I work at H&M) and one of them is completely incompetent. He tells us what to do, which is fine, but gets really worked up when we can't accomplish our tasks as fast as he'd like, because, you know, we're helping customers (and are understaffed, like I said). He's a very nice person during his breaks, but on the floor, we call him Dragon.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

TShields posted:

Oh, I'm going to go to get A+ and NetPlus certified while I'm working there. At least, that's the plan. That would make me more valuable to them, I'm assuming. Still waiting on the phone call, all I know is that this guy popped into my friend's office to tell him that he's going to be calling me.

If you're going to waste time on useless education, consider getting a CDL instead.

uptown
May 16, 2009
Here's something that isn't about my job, but that I think fits here.

A few days ago, my parents and I went out for dinner. Our server* brought us our appetizer and side plates, then when our food was ready, two servers brought the plates from the kitchen. Neither person from the kitchen was our server. As they begin putting our plates down, there is a problem - Not enough room on the table. My mum and I start moving the side plates onto the appetizer plate, both to clear space and to make it easier for them to remove the plates after we've got our food. My dad starts being a real dick to the female server, who, let me remind you, most likely did not know we had plates on the table already. He keeps saying "Well don't you think you should have cleared the plates first? Don't you think that you should have checked first? It's not my job to clear the plates for you" and generally assholey things like that, as she's apologizing, and he's continuing to be an rear end in a top hat. I kept telling him to stop, and once the food was put down, and she was gone, I told him, "She doesn't get paid enough to care, but you probably still ruined her day. You wouldn't like it if someone talked to me like that at my job, and she is someone's daughter too." My parents BOTH flipped on me, as though I was the one in the wrong, and eventually ended up walking out on me after my dad refused to drop the subject or acknowledge that he was in the wrong, not some poor girl who didn't do anything wrong. This was Thursday, and I haven't talked to my dad since. loving cockface, you can really tell that he's never had to work with people before.

*Is server the polite term? I tend to use waiter/waitress, but I know that some people find that really rude.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

uptown posted:

stuff

Your parents are twats.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
There is something I have been wanting to say here for a while now, gently caress ALL SMOKERS, yes I mean you. Why smokers deserve their ten minute break every loving hour is beyond me. And selling cigarettes is a pain in rear end to, listen if you are under the age of thirty expect to be carded your nicotine fix is not worth me paying a thousand dollar fine and losing my job. Why the gently caress do you bastards not carry your ID when you leave the house and no saying phrase 'but I'm over eighteen' does not protect me if I sell to a minor and for gently caress sakes if your driver license is about to expire get a new one an expired ID is not valid I don't care when you where born.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 23, 2011

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

side_burned posted:

There is something I have been wanting to say here for a while now, gently caress ALL SMOKERS, yes I mean you.

On the other hand, smoking makes you look cool as hell and is a great way to get paid a full hour for only 50 minutes of work. Try it some time, you'd be amazed.

uptown
May 16, 2009

homeless poster posted:

On the other hand, smoking makes you look cool as hell and is a great way to get paid a full hour for only 50 minutes of work. Try it some time, you'd be amazed.

http://i.imgur.com/jbH58.jpg (Mod edit: Click here for :nms: lung picture!)

Cool! :thumbsup:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 24, 2011

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

homeless poster posted:

The one thing I miss about waitressing was working the smoking section. I got stiffed way, way less in smoking than in non-smoking. The people seemed to be less cranky (maybe all the sweet nicotine?). I hated working outside of smoking if I didn't have to. I think making 2$/hr should subvert the tipwank debate since tips were literally supposed to compensate me that other 5.25/hr.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

uptown posted:

I told him, "She doesn't get paid enough to care, but you probably still ruined her day. You wouldn't like it if someone talked to me like that at my job, and she is someone's daughter too." My parents BOTH flipped on me, as though I was the one in the wrong, and eventually ended up walking out on me after my dad refused to drop the subject or acknowledge that he was in the wrong, not some poor girl who didn't do anything wrong.

Good on you. I ended up having a similar conversation with my dad:
:v: <story about him being a tosser to retail staff>
:j: Did you really speak to the person at the desk like that?
:v: I sure did, they obviously didn't know what they were doing.
:j: Hate to say it, dad, but at my work we have a word describing customers like you.
:v: Oh really? What's that?
:j: "Dickhead"
:v: Oh...

I think it took my brother and I working in retail for him to realise that the people behind the checkouts aren't just automatons. He would hear us talk about customers who said rude things to us and how it would ruin our day when they would complain to the manager over nothing, and he realised being a jerk didn't help him and certainly didn't help the staff of any business he visits.

side_burned posted:

There is something I have been wanting to say here for a while now, gently caress ALL SMOKERS, yes I mean you. Why smokers deserve their ten minute break every loving hour is beyond me. And selling cigarettes is a pain in rear end to, listen if you are under the age of thirty expect to be carded your nicotine fix is not worth me paying a thousand dollar fine and losing my job. Why the gently caress do you bastards not carry your ID when you leave the house and no saying phrase 'but I'm over eighteen' does not protect me if I sell to a minor and for gently caress sakes if your driver license is about to expire get a new one an expired ID is not valid I don't care when you where born.
At my former retail job smoking was discouraged because the company's slogan was about how fresh their food was and how their staff specialised in it, and they felt that certain things would tarnish their image.
This included things like:
  • Smoking (rules of the place I worked at meant you had to walk across the road away from the store to smoke due to building management)
  • Anything remotely offensive tattooed to an employees body in plain sight
  • Unusual, non-cultural related piercings
  • Facial hair and body odour
  • etc.
Of course, they couldn't ban smoking and so on completely, but I never once saw anyone on checkout or floor go out on a smoke break during non-break times. Somebody going out for a smoke was treated the exact same way as anyone else who'd left for a 10 minute break without management approval.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
((Relax, this is a feel good story))

I was just at McDonald's (because I felt like doing something unhealthy) and ordered my food. The lady behind the register apologized because it was going to be like 3 minutes for the fries to get cooked. That's fine, I'm in no hurry. A few minutes later, some former co-workers of hers show up and they have a conversation. It doesn't take that much time, it's only like a minute, who cares. But the lady behind the counter is like "Oh, hold on, this guy probably wants his food."

And even the former coworkers apologize to me. To which, I respond. "It's cool, guys. Really. I've worked on that side of a register before. I know what it's like when old friends show up." Really, it's cool. It's taken like no time at all. I was so chill that the lady behind the register gave me a larger order of fries than I had paid for.

It's just an example of two things. One, if you're a really nice customer, you're going to get more out of your transaction by being chill and not making a fuss. You catch more flies with honey. Two, that employees are taught to be remorseful for even the slightest of infractions that they'll apologize to a customer for what's really, nothing.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Dodgeball posted:

I was just at McDonald's (because I felt like doing something unhealthy) and ordered my food. The lady behind the register apologized because it was going to be like 3 minutes for the fries to get cooked. That's fine, I'm in no hurry.

ah gad my retail-ptsd. Everyone wants fresh, super hot everything, but doesn't want to wait for it to cook. What the poo poo kind of cognitive dissonance do you (er, not you specifically dodgeball, you in the general sense) have to have to want things HOT AND FRESH but with NO WAIT. You either want food thats been held (and have no wait) or you want fresh food (with a wait). PICK ONE.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

I really need customers to stop trying to have conversations about controversial political topics with me and other service industry people.

I got one of these tonight. I was working CS, guy really REALLY wanted to draw me into a conversation about the loving birth certificate. He was definitely a chemtrails, Bilderberg Group type but not visibly crazy. He framed the discussion by asking for some book, which is apparently the Birther Bible and which isn't being released until the day after tomorrow, and an Esquire magazine article that supposedly debunked the book but was FULL OF LIES, MAN. I kept trying to turn the discussion to the things I was able to do as a bookseller, such as 1. ordering the book so he could have it when it's actually released and 2. finding him a copy of the magazine.

He was not interested, of course. He just wanted to yammer at me about the loving birth certificate. I dug my heels in and refused, and kept being bland, obtuse and customer servicey. (Goddamnit, the CS desk was slow as hell that hour.) Guy got more and more hostile and agitated and, after insinuating that I, and by extension my store, clearly have a Liberal Propaganda Agenda (me: "I'd be happy to call you a manager if you'd like to discuss that with them, sir") and that he feels personally attacked because I won't have a conversation with him about Obama secretly being black or whatever the gently caress and therefore is NEVER SHOPPING HERE AGAIN (me: "If you feel you're not being well-served by the store, I'd be happy to call you a manager so the situation can be rectified") he finally said...

"Well. MOST people who I try to educate about these issues are GRATEFUL. But I guess you're :airquote:JUST DOING YOUR JOB:airquote:, HUH?"

I said, "Yes."

He went away in huff, but I had pretty epic spirit of the staircase when I realized that I could have politely faced him by pointing out what "just doing my job" really means. It means that I can't say anything back, I have to listen to his rear end if I can't invent busywork to get myself away, and that the only people who use captive audiences to air their political grievances are cowards. I am positive I could have ginned up a Good Customer Service version of that, not like it would have made a difference in this case.

spite house fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 24, 2011

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.

2508084 posted:

ah gad my retail-ptsd. Everyone wants fresh, super hot everything, but doesn't want to wait for it to cook. What the poo poo kind of cognitive dissonance do you (er, not you specifically dodgeball, you in the general sense) have to have to want things HOT AND FRESH but with NO WAIT. You either want food thats been held (and have no wait) or you want fresh food (with a wait). PICK ONE.

Honestly, I'd rather have fries that aren't going to sear off my fingerprints with 500 degree cooking oil, so I'll take the heat lamp fries. McDonald's fries are horrible anyway.

No job updates. I'm told my background check isn't done at hhgregg, and the dude who was supposed to call me at the other job hasn't, so I'm left applying to other poo poo and twiddling my thumbs. My contact at the one job is getting pissed, because the guy needs to get off his rear end and interview but he keeps putting it off. He keeps taking on the extra work load himself, and I swear he'll burn out before he gets around to calling me. He's only managed the department since February, so he's a little green still I guess.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

AND I got my interview request today! Thank God, I'd almost given up hope on that job. I'm so excited, I don't even know what to do. :woop:

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Dodgeball posted:

I was just at McDonald's (because I felt like doing something unhealthy) and ordered my food. The lady behind the register apologized because it was going to be like 3 minutes for the fries to get cooked. That's fine, I'm in no hurry. A few minutes later, some former co-workers of hers show up and they have a conversation. It doesn't take that much time, it's only like a minute, who cares. But the lady behind the counter is like "Oh, hold on, this guy probably wants his food."

And even the former coworkers apologize to me. To which, I respond. "It's cool, guys. Really. I've worked on that side of a register before. I know what it's like when old friends show up." Really, it's cool. It's taken like no time at all. I was so chill that the lady behind the register gave me a larger order of fries than I had paid for.

It's just an example of two things. One, if you're a really nice customer, you're going to get more out of your transaction by being chill and not making a fuss. You catch more flies with honey. Two, that employees are taught to be remorseful for even the slightest of infractions that they'll apologize to a customer for what's really, nothing.

I kind of did that yesterday. We had a girl looking at our bridal stuff with her mom and was trying on these tiaras. We're trying to phase out our bridal stuff, and I told them that when they said we don't really have a lot to chose from.

This girl put on this tiara that was like...perfect for her. Seriously, she looked so cute. It was $90 but it definitely wasn't worth that much to me. The mom asked for a discount, and my boss wasn't around. We tried calling her but no answer. My supervisor and I gave her a 10% discount (most I could do without getting in trouble) and told her to say she's a student if anyone asked.

We've had that bridal stuff for probably almost as long as I've been alive. My boss is a total hoarder and she needs to move product faster or get it the gently caress out. I made that girl's day and she's going to look great on her wedding day :D

Edit: Also something even more amazing happened yesterday. An older woman wanted to pay with card for a purchase of $3 or so. We have a $5 minimum on cards and I was trying to help her figure out something to buy to bring the total up. This woman who was browsing walks right over and shoves a $5 bill in my face and says, "HERE!" I was really confused and she said, "It's for the woman here". She was paying for this old lady she never met. She said she was on vacation and had cash on her and it was no big deal. I was so baffled, I just told her, "Wow, that was very nice of you..." and the old lady was overwhelmed. I don't think this woman even bought anything, but if she did I'd give her a huge loving discount and get her anything she wanted, jesus.

Shnooks fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 24, 2011

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean

2508084 posted:

Nice? Wouldn't say that, but they care about the health at least.

For reference, got a call today, saying 'Hey, you're coming in to work full-shift tomorrow'. I couldn't do this, and have told them as such, so I basically explained that. Got told not to come in, straight up. Tomorrow will be interesting, then, as the only other person free constantly argues with the person working.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

side_burned posted:

There is something I have been wanting to say here for a while now, gently caress ALL SMOKERS, yes I mean you. Why smokers deserve their ten minute break every loving hour is beyond me.

loving christ, yes. We recently changed owners at the Timmies where I work. Since the new guy took over, the store has turned around pretty fantastically. One of the first things that changed was that employees were now no longer allowed to go for a smoke at any time. They could only go on their breaks. Breaks also got cut from 20 to 15 minutes, but that's not really a huge deal... except to the smokers. Half of them started complaining that they needed a smoke almost incessantly, and that they don't have as much time to light up on their breaks. They also never have a loving lighter on them. I'm also the one who sweeps the poo poo out of the parking lot, and there's always a shitload of butts scattered around the rear door, where they all smoke. They don't even have the decency to throw them out.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Amen to the smoke breaks. If you're a smoker and a manager is too, brilliant! Now you're their buddy, especially if they can bum a cancerstick or light off you.

At my old pet store job, the stockers and managers were always great buddies because they'd all take an extra smoke break every hour or two.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Amen to the smoke breaks. If you're a smoker and a manager is too, brilliant! Now you're their buddy, especially if they can bum a cancerstick or light off you.

A million times this. I've been with the company for a couple years and am constantly told we're too short on hours to get me anywhere near full-time or even more than 20 hours a week. I'm available any time 6 days a week, all weekend, I volunteer for holidays, but when a new girl started who was the only non-manager that smoked, guess who started getting 35-40 every week?

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Wild fires have made the police evacuate my store a few minutes ago. I may not have a job to go to in 24 hours, awesome.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Darth Freddy posted:

Wild fires have made the police evacuate my store a few minutes ago. I may not have a job to go to in 24 hours, awesome.

Enjoy the unpaid time off and write up for not working during scheduled hours!

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Darth Freddy posted:

loving smokers ruining poo poo for everyone. Smokers are jokers.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Fury1671 posted:

Enjoy the unpaid time off and write up for not working during scheduled hours!

I work at Wal Mart so thats entirely possible.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Nobody cares, but that interview was FANTASTIC. He took a lot of notes about everything, and we have a very similar background. Even though it's IT, he doesn't have any certifications himself, and he doesn't think that the piece of paper you get from a school makes you successful. All the degrees in the world would make you too expensive for the company from the get-go, but since my inside contact's sister works the front desk and makes $15 an hour, I'm sure I'll do well here. At the end, he asked when I could be available and underlined it twice and put a circle around it. Then, he gave me a 20 minute tour of the facility and introduced me to his team, which seems like a VERY good thing. He told me he won't leave me hanging and will let me know on Friday. Really, really excited, but not putting all my eggs in one basket.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Cowslips Warren posted:

At my old pet store job, the stockers and managers were always great buddies because they'd all take an extra smoke break every hour or two.

Yeah, the guys who smoked at our call center got like, hourly breaks or 'welp I need a cigarette' *wanders off* while those of us who didn't couldn't even get 5 minute bathroom breaks :(

And congratulations Tshields!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

TShields posted:

Nobody cares, but that interview was FANTASTIC. He took a lot of notes about everything, and we have a very similar background. Even though it's IT, he doesn't have any certifications himself, and he doesn't think that the piece of paper you get from a school makes you successful. All the degrees in the world would make you too expensive for the company from the get-go, but since my inside contact's sister works the front desk and makes $15 an hour, I'm sure I'll do well here. At the end, he asked when I could be available and underlined it twice and put a circle around it. Then, he gave me a 20 minute tour of the facility and introduced me to his team, which seems like a VERY good thing. He told me he won't leave me hanging and will let me know on Friday. Really, really excited, but not putting all my eggs in one basket.

Here's hoping. :)

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
For the person trying to get full time by just asking... Good luck with that. If anybody in the large corporation I work for asked that, they'd get laughed right out the door.

Instead, I'd recommend what another said. Ask the various department managers for extra hours. Retail companies these days are so understaffed, when the people go on vacation or call out sick, a lot of times they don't have proper back up. During these times is when you'll most likely get more hours. Just be sure to put your name out there to everyone. You may have to do a job or two that you're not a fan of, but that's them breaks.

I did this back in the day and was able to get more hours than I really wanted. Bonus points to you if you work for a company with multiple stores in your area, because if you can get your name out to other locations, you get an increased chance for more hours. At one point I was turning down other managers because someone else had already called me from another location. I felt bad because I wanted to be the reliable person who was always available when they needed help.

-----------

These thoughts bring up memories of a certain clerk I had to deal with in our department in the past. She was part time but really wanted the hours. She was a total bitch to everyone and have been in the company for years. I try to sympathize with her because she's still struggling to get more than 30 hours because the way things work with the company.

So I try to help her by trying to call her every time someone else calls out. More than half the times she seemingly made herself unavailable as in she never answers her voicemail. There were times when someone was going on vacation and I could schedule her for 48 hours. She said she only wanted to work 40 a week and not an hour more. To me that's crap because if I was in her situation, I would work the 48 knowing that I would go back down to 20-30 hours the next week. This gal would also call off a day every other week and tell me later that she was too tired. I'd give her multiple opportunities to get hours but a lot of times she would decline for one reason or another.

It got to a point where I said gently caress it and started calling someone else who was more desperate for hours but had less seniority whenever someone called out. When the one gal noticed this she of course called the union and all that bullshit. She didn't make a very good case and was pretty much ignored by the union rep (also because of past idiocy before she came to the store I worked at).

Moral of the story, if you say really want hours, then dammit take up every opportunity while you still can. I was getting burned out doing 48 hours a week, but kept on doing it till the last moment because I knew it wouldn't last forever.

Sure enough these days as the economy tanked further, they company is super anal about any overtime or old contract people getting time and a half on Sunday (which isn't overtime). The opportunity to getting those 48 hours are really tough, but I don't feel bad because I never wasted an opportunity.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

ijii posted:

For the person trying to get full time by just asking... Good luck with that. If anybody in the large corporation I work for asked that, they'd get laughed right out the door.

Instead, I'd recommend what another said. Ask the various department managers for extra hours. Retail companies these days are so understaffed, when the people go on vacation or call out sick, a lot of times they don't have proper back up. During these times is when you'll most likely get more hours. Just be sure to put your name out there to everyone. You may have to do a job or two that you're not a fan of, but that's them breaks.

I did this back in the day and was able to get more hours than I really wanted. Bonus points to you if you work for a company with multiple stores in your area, because if you can get your name out to other locations, you get an increased chance for more hours. At one point I was turning down other managers because someone else had already called me from another location. I felt bad because I wanted to be the reliable person who was always available when they needed help.

I'm trying this too. I actually picked up 3 extra shifts from people this week, including a double shift this past Sunday, hoping that they would recognize me on top of all the other crap I'm trying to do.

Also, my favorite thing in these past few weeks about stupid customers. We have to stand in front of our checkout lanes to let people know we're available, I guess. Instead of just walking right in like a normal person, they come over, stop, look at me, and ask, "Are you open?" ... the light is on, I'm standing here, what do you think? I want to say no to the next person that asks and see what happens.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

TShields posted:

Well loving done dude. I just had my first interview in forever and it went super well and I got the job so the universe is clearly telling us that feeling awesome after the interview is good guidance.

Seriously, rooting for you over here :)

Edit: he said he'd tell you on Friday? That's exactly what I was told. Now, I'm not normally superstitious, but after well over a year of unemployment, I got a good job offer on the same day that the government (for unclear reasons) stopped giving me money so I am feeling pretty drat witchy at the moment.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

TShields posted:

I've been lurking this thread and silently cheering for you. One of my best friends just yesterday got a MUCH better job and I'm thrilled for him. Good luck man. :unsmith: