Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awcko
May 26, 2009

Mo' Pushin'

Mo' Problems
I'm about to start the original two Fallout games. I haven't ever played them before, nor have I played any other classic CRPGs as I just recently got into PC gaming. Is there anything I should know about either game before jumping in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Awcko posted:

I'm about to start the original two Fallout games. I haven't ever played them before, nor have I played any other classic CRPGs as I just recently got into PC gaming. Is there anything I should know about either game before jumping in?

Find a mod to skip the starting temple in 2. Seriously, it's terrible.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Awcko posted:

Take the Gifted trait in both games. There's no easy way to gain SPECIAL points (there are ways, but they're not necessarily easy), but you can gain all the skill points you want by leveling up. Seven extra SPECIAL points is well worth the 10% drop in your skills that Gifted imparts.

Also, more for 1 than 2, just remember that the older Fallouts were part of an older brand of CRPGs where your current objective isn't immediately obvious. Despite this, the time limit in the first game is generous and you probably won't be in danger of running out of time unless you spend way too much time dicking around on the world map. Don't get panicky just because you're not quite sure where to go next.

Finally, pay attention to the message terminal even when you're just walking around. There are times when messages will show up that can give you hints.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Any tips for The Last Remnant? I read the wiki, but anything specific for the PC version would be appreciated.

Also, something to add to the Metroid Prime page:

- At the very beginning of the game (when you first land on Tallon IV), make sure you go to the Chozo Temple before moving on. There, you can start the big end-game fetch quest way ahead of time. In fact, you can have 11 of the 12 artifacts before you get the final suit upgrade, and after you get that, you can backtrack like three rooms to get the last one. It's much, much easier than getting there at the end of the game and finding out "Oh wait, time to backtrack across the entire world!"

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Any tips for Bully - Scholarship Edition (playing on a PC) or Temple of Elemental Evil? I've played about 10-20 minutes of Bully so far and found the controls to be...a little odd. I was fine up until the lockpicking part of the first mission, then the game decided that even after being moved halfway across the desk, it would only move the dial on the lock by the tiniest amount. Is my mouse sensitivity up too high?

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Awcko posted:

Progress is pretty straightforward in the first game, especially since it gives you a time limit, but the progress of 2nd game is harder to figure out. Below is my optimal route (does it show that I've probably beat the game 50 times?). I'm spoilering only the settlement names.

Basically, once you leave Arroyo, you should head to The Den, afterwards to Klamath. From there you're meant to go far east into Vault City and Gecko, then far south through Broken Hills to NCR and Vault 15. After that, travel to the center of the world map to New Reno and optional Redding, and then south-west to San Fransisco.

There's tons of info about character builds in this thread, because F2 pops up ever so often. Some people swear by sniping with the gauss rifle, but I personally prefer to play with primarily big guns (Bozar), and switching to the gauss pistol when I need armor penetration.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Artix74 posted:

- At the very beginning of the game (when you first land on Tallon IV), make sure you go to the Chozo Temple before moving on. There, you can start the big end-game fetch quest way ahead of time. In fact, you can have 11 of the 12 artifacts before you get the final suit upgrade, and after you get that, you can backtrack like three rooms to get the last one. It's much, much easier than getting there at the end of the game and finding out "Oh wait, time to backtrack across the entire world!"

Added!

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Faerie Fortune posted:

Temple of Elemental Evil
I dug some stuff out of the thread history; could someone please add it to the wiki?

Barudak posted:

Well know that its a) buggy as gently caress so patch that son bitch and b) based on the toughest published D&D module in existence and while the video game is easier still isn't exactly a walk in the park.

Sidequests give really minor rewards so don't worry about them unless you need just a little push over to the next level.

Its based on D&D 3e, which means in comparison to Planescape Torment's 2e it plays great but in comparison to modern RPGs plays sort of akin to over management. You'll have to get used to the strange spell-system where you manage what you know and how long you know it.

Multiclassing in D&D should pretty much never be 1:1 ratio. Typically you want your second class to be at most half the level of the main class. More importantly, aim for making the secondary class stop at a level which gives you free perk/specialization or whatever they hell they call it. If I remember right, that makes the goal level 4 for a subclass.

Other than that I don't remember any particular class or build be super broken but that you would need a fairly diverse party if you want to survive.

GulMadred posted:

Open the "Rolls History" window. Most of the numbers that appear in there are hyperlinks. If you're consistently missing the enemy, or inflicting minimal damage, then click on the numbers and find out why. For instance, it's a very bad idea for a rogue to backstab a skeleton, and the game is kind enough to give you a line-by-line breakdown of the underlying rules/statistics.

Use the Ctrl button to bind radial menu selections onto hotkeys. By doing so, you can streamline your standard combat actions (e.g. Charge attack) and spells (e.g. "Cure light wounds") and reduce the risk of wasted actions due to fat-fingering the radial menu. While we're on the subject: scan through the radial menu every once in a while. You may not have realized that one of your characters gained a new ability (such as "rapid shot") during a recent levelup, or you may have forgotten about old ones (such as "smite evil").

If you have a character in a good tactical position and want to wait for the enemy to approach, left-click their character portrait in the initiative bar (top of the screen) and drag it left/right until they appear at the desired spot in the initiative order. Example: your rogue will tend to win initiative rolls. You could run in and stab a flatfooted enemy for bonus damage, but it puts your rogue at risk. Instead, you might want to rearrange things so that your fighter or cleric charges in first and then have the rogue backstab a foe who is already engaged.

It's quite possible to wipe out your party by wandering blindly into around a corner and meeting an excessive number of level-appropriate foes. You can set a formation for your party, but it tends to get disrupted enroute and so your toughest characters won't necessarily be on the frontlines when combat begins. Instead, it's a good idea to scout ahead using an invisible character or rogue. In the latter case, you must activate the "Sneak" movement mode; enemies will instantly spot a stealthy character who is moving normally (or even standing still, if Sneak is off).

Assuming you can detect that same group of level-appropriate foes early, then you have lots of options:
-find an alternate route. Enemy groups are sedentary (no roaming patrols), and there's usually 2-3 paths through any dungeon section (although you may need a skilled rogue to find those paths)
-retreat, heal, replenish spells, and even (if necessary) recruit new allies
-try to open hostilities by catching most of the enemy group in an area-effect spell (or by backstabbing the enemy healer)
-find a defensible bottleneck and lure the enemy into it

Archers don't deal much damage compared to melee fighters or casters. The best use for them that I've found is suppressing enemies via the "Tactical" slice of the radial menu. You can disrupt a mage's spell or stop a charging enemy in his tracks... but only if you actually hit them. Therefore, it's important to position archers tactically and keep a clear line-of-sight; if you start firing over/through/into a scrum then you're going to suffer serious penalties on your rolls. You also need to predict the enemy's actions to some degree; if you tell your ranger to "Wait for spell" and nobody casts one, then he's just going to stand there looking stupid until his next turn.

Take your time when leveling up and choosing spells for your arcance casters (sorceror, bard, wizard). You'll feel outgunned in the early stages so it's tempting to focus purely on offense (e.g. what's going to inflict the most damage, to the most foes, in the least time?). However, a 2nd-level direct damage spell won't be of much use in the endgame, while a 2nd-level buff/debuff might still be useful. A few pointers:
-fog/mist spells can render enemy archers impotent
-a berserk enemy is very dangerous (due to bonus damage), and hard to kill (due to bonus hitpoints). A simple "Calm Emotions" spell will remove both of those bonuses
-the game will throw a lot of magical loot at you, but if you want to specialize your characters in unusual weapons then you'll probably need to enchant your own weapons for maximum effect. Consider taking the "Craft Magic Arms and Armor" feat early (to sneak a peek at the prerequisites list), and choose spells accordingly
-a blind enemy is a lesser threat and an easier target. The glitterdust spell will enable you to blind several enemies simultaneously
-some spells have materials costs which are easy to overlook if you aren't familiar with D&D rules, but such factors are listed in the spell description. Stoneskin costs 100gp IIRC.

Almost every locked chest that you find will also be trapped. Unless you have a rogue in your party, you might as well just leave them alone. Note: you can recruit a rogue henchman if you didn't include one in your main party. On the bright side, the game doesn't have any "free-floating" traps, so you're don't need to spam the "Search for traps" key every five feet.

Druid is a good, well-rounded class (animal companions and summoned animals make great meatshields), but shapeshifting in ToEE is a waste of time.

Identify magic items before selling them. It costs 100gp to do so, but most magic items are worth >100gp so you'll come out ahead. If you don't identify them then you'll get screwed on the price. Exception: don't identify scrolls. Use "Read Magic" (0-level spell) or the "Decipher script" skill instead (they're both free).

Lars Blitzer posted:

Echoing what he said, plus there are mods out for it. This group seems to be the most active with added content and such, plus patches that correct a few things that Troika didn't touch on: http://www.co8.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31. Feel free to look around. I think they're still working on doing Keep On The Borderlands, but the latest content pack has fistloads of side quests and locations that Troika didn't include for whatever reason.

One thing you should get in your party is a spokesman: High CHA, possibly the Negotiator or a relevant skill focus Feat, maybe make him/her a Half Elf since they get a +2 racial bonus to Diplomacy (your main conversation-type skill) and Gather Information (still useful, but not as often), and finally choose a class that complements being a suave motherfucker: Paladin, Bard, Rogue (my go-to choice), or even a Sorcerer will do in a pinch.

Finally, if you feel the need, you can cherry pick your stats with a bug that made it through all the patches. When rolling for stats, click on the tab for buying your stats, you'll notice the box you're supposed to click and drag the rolled/bought stat to is gone. Just pump up one stat to whatever you want, click and drag over to where one of the boxes was, then switch back to rolling randomly. You'll see the stat in the corresponding box now. Lather, rinse, repeat with the rest of your stats and go hog wild, or deliberately gimp yourself will all 3s. Whatever butters your muffin.

EDIT: On one run through try the following: Chaotic Good, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword). Why? There's a sweet sweet rapetrain of a bastard sword Fragarach you can get your grubby little mitts on.

Koops
Mar 27, 2010

Artix74 posted:

Small correction:
You need missiles to enter the temple, so you can't go there immediately after landing. It's a very short trip if you backtrack right away, though.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Koops posted:

Small correction:
You need missiles to enter the temple, so you can't go there immediately after landing. It's a very short trip if you backtrack right away, though.

Oh yeah, there is a missile door along the way. Regardless, it should still be emphasized to go there as soon as you can.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Koops posted:

Small correction:

I usually check out the Temple after getting the Space Jump Boots, it was always the first time I managed to make it back to Tallon Overworld after starting.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Deus Ex

If you want to do the secondary objectives, do them immediately; it's easy to inadvertently run into the primary's point of no return.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Polaron posted:

Here's one I made a while back for the Steam thread. From the starting area, just run past the guy to your south into the village and you're good to go!

To install, unzip into the data\maps\ directory in your Fallout 2 folder. If you have the unofficial patch installed, make a backup of ARTEMPLE.CFG and ARTEMPLE.MAP in that folder and put these in there instead.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

C-Euro posted:

I usually check out the Temple after getting the Space Jump Boots, it was always the first time I managed to make it back to Tallon Overworld after starting.

I always got those as soon as I landed with the glitch that let you jump off the ship :v:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Take the Gifted trait in both games.
If I recall correctly (it's been a while) the Gifted Trait (more attribute points for less skills points) and the anti-Gifted trait (more skill points for less attribute points) cancel each others negatives out with a positive net outcome. So you might want to go for that.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ In FO1, taking them both means you get +1 all stats but get a perk every 4 levels instead of every 3; the skill penalty from Gifted and the skill bonus from Skilled cancel each other out. I'm not sure it's worth it, given that skill points are much easier to get than perks.

In FO2 I seem to recall it not working nearly as well, but I don't remember the specifics of why.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

GulMadred posted:

I dug some stuff out of the thread history; could someone please add it to the wiki?

Thanks for digging this up! I've added it to the wiki.

Koops posted:

Small correction:

I've corrected the page for Metroid Prime, as well.

Slavik
May 10, 2009

Faerie Fortune posted:

Any tips for Bully - Scholarship Edition (playing on a PC) or Temple of Elemental Evil? I've played about 10-20 minutes of Bully so far and found the controls to be...a little odd. I was fine up until the lockpicking part of the first mission, then the game decided that even after being moved halfway across the desk, it would only move the dial on the lock by the tiniest amount. Is my mouse sensitivity up too high?

I've not got Bully on the PC, but on the PS2 and Xbox. On that the lock pick is done by moving an analogue stick in a circle. It sounds like you're moving the mouse left to right. Maybe you need to turn the mouse in a circle as if you’re looking around?

Couple of tips for Bully, it’s been a while since I've played it but I think these are all correct:

Firstly do the classes, do them. Try and do it before kicking into the missions if possible at the start of the game and the beginning of every new season, it can seem tedious but there are good reasons that make the game easier and more fun:
(1) Some of the classes give you good rewards, chemistry for weapons, English to apologise for minor offences, shop for the fast BMX's for getting around and geography for showing the hidden items on your maps.
(2) Subjects rotate in a sequence and more unlock as you get further in the game meaning it can be 3 days before a class you want a reward for is available.
(3) Now I think this is right - Having completed the 5 classes in each subject means you won't be in trouble for being out of class when they are in session next time. Although when on a mission being truant is disregarded anyway.

Save before classes in the reception upstairs in the main building. It’s easy to fail a class sometimes that require quick reaction button presses like shop, music and chemistry.

Use a guide and find the hobo's transistor parts when you can get to them on the map. He teaches you useful fighting combos which as fighting is a part of the game they are useful. He appears within the first 10 or so missions.

Don't be afraid to run away and circle back in a fight if need be, it’s easy to get swarmed and attacked from every direction. Stink bombs are the best for getting away. Firecrackers will quickly take down enemies but don't throw them when they are close. The older and bigger they are the harder it can be to lock up and grapple with.

How each clique likes/dislikes and responds to you is defined by your progression into the story so don't worry about causing trouble to those you're supposed to be friends with, all is quickly forgiven when your out of sight and your trouble meter is back down to zero.

You can be instantly busted when caught by a prefect/teacher/cop if you cause some form of violence to a girl or adult.

It is a big game and gets better as you get further into it I felt with a crazy variety of missions, locations and one off set pieces. It can take 20-25 hours if you do everything. There are a lot of distractions from the main missions.

Marbles by the door exit + pulling the fire alarm in the boy’s dormitory is great fun

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Artix74 posted:

Any tips for The Last Remnant? I read the wiki, but anything specific for the PC version would be appreciated.

PC Specific:
- There's a fast forward button, use the hell out of it.
- The PC version lets you field an entire army of uniques - guild mercenaries and story characters. There's no longer a need to even look at the standard Athlum Army troops.
- Generally speaking, you will not want to grind on lower level enemies unless you can build up a substantial (50+) chain. That said, the PC version redressed the levelling mechanic such that you don't need to worry too much. It's very hard to permanently screw up your stats.

General:
- Pick a couple trees you want Rush to concentrate on and disable those you don't want to use. Same goes for any character, pretty much.
- Don't neglect Hexes or Psionics - although you'll only get the latter much later in the game. Hexes can seriously debilitate unions and are good AoE damage, and Psionics can absolutely wreck a union's morale in a single cast.
- Build unions around a common thread, but make sure every union has a Herb User or a Remedies Caster, preferably multiples thereof.
- Don't just blindly rush into a boss with every union at once - many bosses have extremely powerful counterattacks or AoEs. A lot of the game's strategy is in being able to manage your unions, going through a cycle of switching them in and out for healing while one or two unions tank a boss.
- Switch around your union leaders often. The leader gets priority for performing moves, so it can help to catch up anyone who's lagging behind.
- Explore! The main story will take you to maybe a third of the available locations. Sidequests and Guild Tasks are very important, not least because it'll unlock skillsets for Rush.
- Whenever you fight an extremely large bird enemy, throw as few unions at it as possible in the first turn, because that fucker will use Curse as a counterattack on every unit that does. This gives each character within the unit a solid chance of dying when they try to attack, and it's generally a death sentence.
- Speaking of status effects: they activate on an entire union if they hit anyone within that union. If you're fighting something that loves throwing statii at you, rejig yourself to have as many unions with as few people in each as possible.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Xander77 posted:

If I recall correctly (it's been a while) the Gifted Trait (more attribute points for less skills points) and the anti-Gifted trait (more skill points for less attribute points) cancel each others negatives out with a positive net outcome. So you might want to go for that.

They cancel each other out just marginally, but you end up getting perks every 4 levels instead of every 3, in both games. Don't get Skilled trait, Gifted is a must though

Bloody mess doesn't do anything practical. You'll be blowing people apart anyway, just not as often.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Polaron posted:

With a high Speech skill, you can talk your way out of the temple trial, but it's not really that bad. You can finish it without taking any damage because the scorpions are much slower than you. Arrange yourself so they are close to you when they end hteir turn but not adjacent, then run up, stab with a spear ONCE, then run away. They won't be able to catch you unless you have a really slow character.

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS

C-Euro posted:

Not to sound smug, but I'm quite sure this is the point the developers expected you to go to the Temple. I seem to remember facing the Temple entrance as you come out of the room with the space jump boots.

You can skip the temple visit until the very end if you can pick up the 11 other MacGuffins before going there. But this is not going to happen for a first time player who isn't following a guide.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Does combat get much easier in Fallout? I've started the second one multiple times and the last time I got about an hour or two in, I think I was in the rat cave and got hosed up by some gigantic albino rat. I got pissed off because I got it down to about 6 health then missed 4 times in a row and got critically hit from near full health to dead and then realised I hadn't saved it for ages. I think I'm just poo poo at these games for some reason or I'm missing some fundamental feature. I might install 1 and give that a bash but any help would be welcome. Like a character setup for a gunslinger type and some tips on what to focus on in 1 and 2 would be useful.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

thebardyspoon posted:

Does combat get much easier in Fallout? I've started the second one multiple times and the last time I got about an hour or two in, I think I was in the rat cave and got hosed up by some gigantic albino rat. I got pissed off because I got it down to about 6 health then missed 4 times in a row and got critically hit from near full health to dead and then realised I hadn't saved it for ages. I think I'm just poo poo at these games for some reason or I'm missing some fundamental feature. I might install 1 and give that a bash but any help would be welcome. Like a character setup for a gunslinger type and some tips on what to focus on in 1 and 2 would be useful.

It really depends on the type of character you're playing. Focusing on Energy Weapons / Big Guns will probably leave you struggling for a while, until you run across a decent weapon (and ammunition for it). I think focusing on Small Guns is the most straightforward way to get through most combat in both games reasonably well (and fast), though running across even a decent handgun could take you a tad longer in 2 than it does in 1. Either way, a 10mm pistol should be easy enough to run across fairly soon in both games, and it should keep you alive until you can acquire a 10mm SMG / shotgun / magnum, all of which can take you through a good portion of the game quite well as long as you keep leveling your Small Guns skill and aim for the eyes :clint:

EDIT: As for the rat cave in FO2, I vaguely remember having a 10mm pistol at this point in most of my playthroughs, and you can definitely beat the "boss" rat with that gun. Remember to spend tons of points on Agility (at least 8) if you want to play a gunslinger type of character. Combat is a bit clunky in both games, but getting a shot or two off and running away before enemies get into melee range is a decent tactic for most encounters. Once you've gained some distance over your enemy, get another shot off, rinse and repeat.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 23, 2011

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Argon_Sloth posted:

Not to sound smug, but I'm quite sure this is the point the developers expected you to go to the Temple. I seem to remember facing the Temple entrance as you come out of the room with the space jump boots.

You can skip the temple visit until the very end if you can pick up the 11 other MacGuffins before going there. But this is not going to happen for a first time player who isn't following a guide.

No smugness taken :) I liked going then because it gave you a clear-cut goal somewhat early on, instead of "run around a bunch" which is still fun.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sorry, I get paid to shoot paintballs, honey, not the breeze.
I just started Bayonetta the other day. Any tips?

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Awcko posted:

Feel free to ignore this and play however you like, but if you want a relatively easy first playthrough of Fallout 1 (remember that these games are a LOT harder than 3 and New Vegas, and they will break your balls if you don't know what you're doing), here's the recommended build:

Trait 1: Gifted
Trait 2: Anything but Skilled, as it and Gifted cancel eachother out. I like Bloody Mess, personally.

SPECIAL:

STR 6 - You can use all small arms and energy weapons in the game. Get powerarmor and you can use any big gun too.

PER 7 - Shooting is nice. Also, if I remember correctly you can get +1 PER at the brotherhood.

END 6 - Health is also nice. If you don't have at least 5 Endurance, you'll probably get torn up by the tougher enemies.

CHA 6 - Should be enough for anything charisma related.

INT 8 - More skillpoint means a character who can do a lot of different things. 8 should be enough, and you can also get +1 to it at the Brotherhood.

AGI 10 - If nothing else, do this. Agility directly affects how much AP you have (5 Agility = 5 AP, etc.), and most guns have an AP requirement of 5 or 6, so you really should have 9 or 10.

LCK 4 - On one hand, Criticals are pretty rare in this game so Luck doesn't really matter in that regard. On the other, 6 Luck opens up a lot of perks, so if you want to take 2 out of something else, feel free.

Tags: Speech (generally makes things easier, since it's mainly used to bullshit people into letting you go into places and stuff), Small Guns, (you'll be using them for the majority of the game), and Energy Weapons (makes the Endgame a lot easier).

Don't know if this also applies to FO2, but it probably does.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

With a high Speech skill, you can talk your way out of the temple trial, but it's not really that bad. You can finish it without taking any damage because the scorpions are much slower than you. Arrange yourself so they are close to you when they end hteir turn but not adjacent, then run up, stab with a spear ONCE, then run away. They won't be able to catch you unless you have a really slow character.

You don't even have to do this, just run past them and run through the temple. If they're faster than you, you probably need higher AGL, since it's the best Fallout 2 stat.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Monicro posted:

Don't know if this also applies to FO2, but it probably does.

Pretty much. You can actually get away with even more min-maxing in 2 due to the amount of extra stat points available - Advanced Power Armor gives +4 STR, and there are in-game ways to get +1 STR, +1 PER, +2 CHA, +1 INT, and +2 LCK, plus whatever stat boosting perks you take. So depending on how patient you are, you can completely tank several stats and still be able to do/use pretty much anything.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Ice Blue posted:

Not that I know of but there is a lovely LP of the game going on right now, so you might try asking there as well.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Faerie Fortune posted:

Any tips for Bully - Scholarship Edition (playing on a PC)? I've played about 10-20 minutes of Bully so far and found the controls to be...a little odd. I was fine up until the lockpicking part of the first mission, then the game decided that even after being moved halfway across the desk, it would only move the dial on the lock by the tiniest amount. Is my mouse sensitivity up too high?
When classes are starting, pick a fight with someone and head towards a prefect/adult. You get sent straight to class through what I call "Time Travel".

The better ninja gear provides a hidden buff.

Do geography and Art.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

Make sure you have the latest patch, that quest has been updated so there is an alternative way to kill the king rat using the environment.

Probably the easiest way to play is as a Small Arms Diplomat. Tag Speech, Small Guns, and then whatever you like for the third (sneak is good if you have the attributes for it). Concentrate on those first two skills until you have both over 50, and keep raising them until they are maxed out (though you will want to diversify). But really, one of the greatest things about Fallout 2 is that there are so many alternate ways to resolve problems, I think it's impossible to build a character that is useless.

Combat does get a lot easier later. The king rat is one of the toughest opponents you'll fight if you meet it at a typical low level unless you are well skilled and equipped. It's not long before you will start feeling like a total badass.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Fag Boy Jim posted:

You don't even have to do this, just run past them and run through the temple. If they're faster than you, you probably need higher AGL, since it's the best Fallout 2 stat.

I kill them for the XP, if you have enough AGL to run past them you can kill them all without taking a scratch. It only takes a little longer and every little bit of XP is worth it that early in the game.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Faerie Fortune posted:

Get a controller. This isn't one of those "OMG controllers rule K&M drool" things, it's just a fact for this particular game & especially this particular minigame. I spent hours dicking with the mouse and couldn't lockpick a single goddamn thing before a prefect/teacher would waltz in and catch me.

As for beyond that part of the game...it's really well done as far as free-range goes. You can do the entire game without really going to classes, but the more classes you complete the easier it gets. Art (+health, eventually free health) and geography (map upgrades that eventually let you see all the hidden items locations on the in-game pause map) are the two main ones to focus on, though chemistry's free projectile weaponry is a nice bonus as well.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Ice Blue posted:

You get new weapons by collecting fragments of LP's. If you find a piece of an LP in a level, you can find all the rest of it's pieces in the same level.

Alfheim portals can be tough, if you find one and it's kicking your rear end feel free to leave and return later when you have more moves at your disposal.

Buy the Bat Transform technique as soon as it becomes available for purchase.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

thebardyspoon posted:

Fallout is a bit like Stalker (if you played it) in terms of difficulty, it starts off brutally hard and evens out after a while. Near the latter part of the game you're unstoppable, but the endgame is a nightmare.

Rat King is a tough opponent, that's why I always prefer to go to the Den first. Nets you enough cash for leather armor and shotgun / desert eagle / 10mm SMG, which makes the rat king fight trivial.

There's a cheesy way to beat any fight in fallout, SERIOUS SPOILER quicksave / quickload until you crit them in the face

texting my ex fucked around with this message at 08:20 on May 24, 2011

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sorry, I get paid to shoot paintballs, honey, not the breeze.

Alris posted:

You get new weapons by collecting fragments of LP's. If you find a piece of an LP in a level, you can find all the rest of it's pieces in the same level.

Alfheim portals can be tough, if you find one and it's kicking your rear end feel free to leave and return later when you have more moves at your disposal.

Buy the Bat Transform technique as soon as it becomes available for purchase.
Should I save money? I bought breakdancing, air dodge, and the two charge attacks but the other techniques didn't interest me. I wasted money on buying the whip costume even though the whip is kinda lovely in my opinion. Is it really good and I just suck with it or is it just generally worse than other weapons?

Is it worth buying health and magic upgrades? Or does it get to a point where you can max out by buying them so the heart pieces and moon pieces in levels become useless?

What are good accessories? I bought the one that gives health when you taunt. Seemed the most generally useful one that I could afford. The one that lets you block damage seems like it'd be good, but hard to use.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Ice Blue posted:

Should I save money? I bought breakdancing, air dodge, and the two charge attacks but the other techniques didn't interest me. I wasted money on buying the whip costume even though the whip is kinda lovely in my opinion. Is it really good and I just suck with it or is it just generally worse than other weapons?

Is it worth buying health and magic upgrades? Or does it get to a point where you can max out by buying them so the heart pieces and moon pieces in levels become useless?

What are good accessories? I bought the one that gives health when you taunt. Seemed the most generally useful one that I could afford. The one that lets you block damage seems like it'd be good, but hard to use.

There are a couple more tips on the wiki:

http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Bayonetta

The best idea, if you don't mind doing it, is to grind for halos so that you can just buy all the stuff you want, whenever you want.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

PlasticPaddy posted:

Dark Cloud

Get ready to be pissed off. This game is a loving ball-breaker.

Don't let your weapons break.

Save often. Do it.

Trouble with a georama puzzle? Make sure you've unlocked all the pieces. If you're still having trouble, just look up a solution. Keep in mind that there may be more than one solution to any given map. There are a few maps in which either the clues are really vague or the placement of a particular item must be perfect. If you can't figure it out, don't stress out over it, just look it up.

There are squares in the dungeons that you can choose to step on in order to trigger an event. Sometimes, it's a good thing. Sometimes, it's a bad thing. I usually step on them all, but it's worth noting that no harm will come to you if you choose to ignore them.

Don't let your weapons break. Seriously. When you hear that alarm, fix your poo poo or get the gently caress out of the dungeon.

edit: Some georama puzzles can't be solved until you talk to everyone in town to figure out all the clues, so don't go hog-wild with the strategy guides right from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

So I have a 3ds and was thinking of getting Shin Megami Tensei that's out or coming out, but I've never played any of the other gam in the series before. Are the plot lines for these games heavily serialized, or can I jump right in without needing to read Wikipedia entries on the other games in the series to know what the gently caress?