Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson

Semprini posted:

I am Tom Gordon.

No, I'm Tom Gordon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Things I Wouldn't Need In That Predicament

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
:doh:

CNN posted:

Stephen King's horror classic "Carrie" is getting a remake, courtesy of someone who knows a thing or two about teen angst.

Playwright Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, who told the story of high-school student turned hero Peter Parker in the Broadway musical "Spider Man: Turn Off the Dark," has just been hired to revamp King's tale of telekinetic teen Carrie, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

King's debut novel was initially adapted into a 1976 movie starring Sissy Spacek as a bullied girl who wreaks revenge at her prom. The book also spawned a 1999 sequel, a stage musical, and a 2002 TV movie.

Besides "Carrie," Aguirre-Sacasa has another school-themed project in the works. Deadline reports that he'll also become a writer on "Glee" next season. McKinley High's senior prom should be a bloody good time!

There is so loving much wrong with this.

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

:h:Knight of the
Rainbow Table.:h:

Ensign_Ricky posted:

CNN posted:

Playwright Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, who told the story of high-school student turned hero Peter Parker in the Broadway musical "Spider Man: Turn Off the Dark," has just been hired to revamp King's tale of telekinetic teen Carrie, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

:suspense: I await the body count.

Oneironaut
Aug 8, 2010

:33< *ac doesn't want to hear about your cr33py fantrolls.*
Carrie the Musical, with such classics as "They're All Going to Laugh at You!", "Dirtypillows", and "Plug It Up!"

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Leovinus posted:

Under The Dome was a book I felt didn't need an amazing final act. Yeah, I'd have liked to see a more satisfying end for Big Jim, and it does have a bit of an out-of-nowhere resolution for the nature of the Dome itself, but I was more interested in the journey than the destination. I liked watching the town turn to poo poo so much I didn't really care that it didn't have a particularly astonishing ending.

I haven't read Under the Dome, but this is how I feel about all Stephen King's stories. He's terrible at writing a good ending, but it doesn't really matter because the journey leading up to it is amazing.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
Come to think of it, how many King books have a good ending? I can think of:

The Shining

IT (Excluding the scene. You know which one.)

All of the Bachman books

Pet Sematary

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
I'd add Misery to that list, and I always liked the ending of The Tommyknockers.
It's not really a "book" quite, but I also like the ending of The Mist, although probably some people don't.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

'Salem's Lot had a decent ending.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Not exactly a book either, but I really dug the ending of Low Men in Yellow Coats, particularly after finishing up DT, as well as the actual ending of Hearts in Atlantis.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Creflo Chronicle posted:

I also like the ending of The Mist, although probably some people don't.

So what did you think of the movie? :haw:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

taser rates posted:

Not exactly a book either, but I really dug the ending of Low Men in Yellow Coats, particularly after finishing up DT, as well as the actual ending of Hearts in Atlantis.

It was such a great teaser/segue to DT that I wish he'd never have bothered writing the rest. I didn't get past that part about the college kid playing hearts when he should have been studying. Real boring stuff that, but I heard from a more constant reader that he ended up going to 'Nam or something. I agree with the above posters that King's books are best read as a journey and don't anticipate a humdinger ending, although it's a nice bonus. I've finished and enjoyed Insomnia, Duma Key and really almost everything in long or short form he's written since the 80s (with the exception that I'm still in the middle of Under the Dome and Full Dark No Stars) but Hearts in Atlantis blew. I think the movie was even better somehow.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

VideoTapir posted:

So what did you think of the movie? :haw:

I thought it was a good alternate ending.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Oneironaut posted:

Carrie the Musical, with such classics as "They're All Going to Laugh at You!", "Dirtypillows", and "Plug It Up!"

This actually existed and was apparently terrible.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Plucky Brit posted:

Come to think of it, how many King books have a good ending? I can think of:

The Shining

I didn't like the ending of The Shining, but it's not the worst one he's written. Except for the ending, I absolutely love the book.

I liked the ending of Christine.

Misery's good, Pet Sematary, Rage, The Long Walk. I'm iffy on Needful Things.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I'll probably get crucified for this, but I think The Dark Tower had a good ending. And by that I mean the few pages after King's idiotic warning. A lot of what happened once Roland reached the Tower was really loving stupid, but the actual ending itself was good.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
Dark Tower's ending is King subconsciously yelling at himself for what he did in the last 3 books.

King rushed through the last 3 books to "get to the end" just like Roland rushes through the Tower to get to the top.

whoa meta as gently caress right?

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

Ornamented Death posted:

I'll probably get crucified for this, but I think The Dark Tower had a good ending. And by that I mean the few pages after King's idiotic warning. A lot of what happened once Roland reached the Tower was really loving stupid, but the actual ending itself was good.

What about the part where all his friends and the pet raccoon magically come back to life in another dimension and are happy together.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Locus posted:

What about the part where all his friends and the pet raccoon magically come back to life in another dimension and are happy together.

"Did they all live happily ever after? No, but they lived, and sometimes that's enough."

(or something like that)

The ending with his friends was fine and that was a great line to end their story on.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
I was fine with the actual ending after the warning, with the timeloop and so on. Roland back on the quest for the tower, except now he's carrying the horn, was a nice way to end it as it cements the tragedy of Roland's destiny to always seek the tower, yet still allows some hope that he may one day succeed. I DID have a problem with the way both the Crimson King and Flagg both went out like complete chumps after all the buildup they had. I don't know why I was expecting a nice resolution and/or final conflict with either of them though, I've read enough of King's work to know better by now :(.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Locus posted:

I never liked that part and it felt like a really empty "happy" ending since no matter how much they look like them, they aren't Eddie and Jake, at least the ones we know.

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax

Sunday Punch posted:

I was fine with the actual ending after the warning, with the timeloop and so on. Roland back on the quest for the tower, except now he's carrying the horn, was a nice way to end it as it cements the tragedy of Roland's destiny to always seek the tower, yet still allows some hope that he may one day succeed. I DID have a problem with the way both the Crimson King and Flagg both went out like complete chumps after all the buildup they had. I don't know why I was expecting a nice resolution and/or final conflict with either of them though, I've read enough of King's work to know better by now :(.

See, I could buy Crimson King and Flagg turning out to be chumps, because a running theme of the Dark Tower books was "poo poo falls apart", and even your lunatic gods who want to smash all creation will fall apart, what loving sucked about the last few books was how loving lazy he got with moving the plot forward. It went from Roland being a grim motherfucker and heading for the Tower, using the knowledge he picked up as a kid and teaching his apprentices as he goes, to five psychic retards wandering aimlessly through different dimensions and being sure that whatever warphole, dimensional door or enchanted sphincter they toddle through will turn out okay. And why? LOL 19 99 JAKE HAS A HUNCH DO YE KEN HUNCH-THINK THANKEE SAI OH HEY SOME PRIEST WE JUST MET IS OUR KA-CHUM AND HE SENT US A PSYCHIC MESSAGE FROM 400 YEARS IN THE FUTURE OF AN ALTERNATE UNIVERSE. Compare something like when Roland chases Gasher in book 3, and you get to see Roland using his knowledge of traps and tracking to find Jake, and it really emphasises that he is a straight up badass of the kind that doesn't get made any more, to the later books, where he's just "Yeah whatevs my psychic raccoon will tell me what to do", and it's pretty clear King stopped thinking poo poo through and got obsessed with pumping it out before another minivan got him.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There was also that bizarre subplot where King decided to cripple Roland even further by giving him magic arthritis out of nowhere.

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax

muscles like this? posted:

There was also that bizarre subplot where King decided to cripple Roland even further by giving him magic arthritis out of nowhere.

Yeah man, the Hell was that? Like, there's this colossal Chekhov's Gun of oh no he's got the 'thritis just as poo poo is getting real, except it doesn't do ANYTHING. He can shoot, fight, gently caress, dance, run, jump, climb and ride in cars with no problems whatsoever, then FAPPO King gets hit by a car and it's dropped, consequence free, except maybe a couple of ominous paragraphs where Roland absent-mindedly rubs his hip and grimaces, as if a 1000 year old cowboy who's spent his entire life getting beaten up, shot at and eaten by lobster monsters isn't going to have a few aches and pains. poo poo is wack, yo. ALSO INSOMNIA ISN'T REAL BUT THERE IS A SECRET SOCIETY OF FOLKS WANNA HELP YOU HERE HAVE A MAGIC WATCH.

That being said, by far the worst Stephen King book is Lisey's Story. About 20 pages worth of plot, spread over 50000 pages via retelling the same poo poo over and over and only adding infinitesimal amounts of plot each time. Shed loads of cringe-worthy baby talk (BOOL! BABY-LOVE! DADA SAY BLOOD BOOL MAKE IT BETTER!), a series of bullshit Deus Ex Machinas leading to absolutely jack poo poo and the laziest characterisation EVER. We're supposed to believe her husband (Scott, I think?) is some kinda supergenius because one time he spun a shovel while giving a speech, apparently.

Oh, and the monster thingy was a total swing-and-a-miss. The whole "pick on one random aspect of the nameless horror's appearance and then repeat it as if it's weirdly horrifying" thing can work in small doses, but when 25% of your book consists of going "OH MY GOD IT HAS A PIEBALD SIDE" then I am going to stop suspending my disbelief and ask what is so terrifying about a big snake with a weird face.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
25th Anniversary Limited Edition Of IT.

This is far far far too expensive for anyone but hardcore book collectors.. but good god is it ever pretty. If this were a 40-dollar hardcover I would snag it without a second thought, but 125 bucks PLUS shipping for the bare minimum? Ridiculous.

I hope the afterword gets published in a reprint, at least; the excerpt is really good and I want to read that without going bankrupt.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
I like the color pictures in the sample images, not too crazy about the black & white pictures though.

A picture book of IT would be pretty fun, just as long as they don't included a certain scene :gonk:

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.

FreezingInferno posted:

This is far far far too expensive for anyone but hardcore book collectors.. but good god is it ever pretty. If this were a 40-dollar hardcover I would snag it without a second thought, but 125 bucks PLUS shipping for the bare minimum? Ridiculous.

I hope the afterword gets published in a reprint, at least; the excerpt is really good and I want to read that without going bankrupt.

gently caress it, I've yet to own a King collectable and it will bookend my bookcase nicely with the one I have of Imajica. Just bought the traycased version, everyone else will have to chip in as it's now my belated birthday gift.

I'll post the afterward for you when it arrives :)

Edit: And the 25th Anniversary edition? The cycle begins anew!

Local Group Bus fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 24, 2011

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

FreezingInferno posted:

These price are really not that bad, even for the signed/traycased edition. I don't know if you're ever seen a Cemetery Dance lettered edition up close, but it's not so much a book as a work of art.

I mean, it could be this, which is the sort of thing hardcore book collectors actually buy (I would absolutely buy it if I had the money).

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

JammyLammy posted:

A picture book of IT would be pretty fun

But when the pictures start to move, I'd ask for your money back

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
After reading through this thread, I've come to a couple of conclusions. The first is that I really need to delve back into more Clive Barker (The Damnation Game was good, Books of Blood were great, The Hellbound Heart is a classic) and the second is a belief that a collaborative novel between Stephen King and Piers Anthony would be surprisingly good.

Or at least, it might be. I'd hope that they would draw on each other's relative strengths (King's creativity and strong baseline ideas, Anthony's ability to focus on what he's talking about and reach a fairly logical conclusion) but it could also go to absolute poo poo with each of them indulging their worst tendencies. Even that might be hosed-up enough to be entertaining, though; I would be genuinely interested in seeing what King's work is like when it's riddled with puns and his sexual silliness gets pulled to the top, or what the weakness of Anthony's forays into horror (Firefly, Spider Legs) turns into when he has King to work with. Honestly, aside from a few characteristic indulgences, Ghost really read like a Stephen King novel set in space.

And while I'm fantasizing, I'd also dig a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure book or two written by King. It would keep him from sinking into a trudging pace, and he'd have to keep re-thinking directions to take the plot, sort of like Desperation-Regulators multiplied and condensed. If nothing else, it would be a good writing exercise (and it could be argued that a lot of his work already reads like published writing exercises, so...).

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

I read the Langoliers this weekend while I've been sick, it's pretty good although the needing to be asleep to go back plot twist kind of kills the pacing

Think I'm going to go back to his short stories for a while though. Maybe another novella (not read any of Bachman's books in a while, nor The Body).

Whargoul
Dec 4, 2010

No, Babou, that was all sarcasm.
YES, ALL OF IT, YOU FOX-EARED ASSHOLE!

ZoDiAC_ posted:

I read the Langoliers this weekend while I've been sick, it's pretty good although the needing to be asleep to go back plot twist kind of kills the pacing

Think I'm going to go back to his short stories for a while though. Maybe another novella (not read any of Bachman's books in a while, nor The Body).

I have a soft spot for The Langoliers because it is the first story from King I have ever read, and the first time in my youth that I was outspokenly pissed off by a movie adaptation of anything. In general, I think I prefer King's novellas more than most of his novels.

I will stick with Gerald's Game as his worst story, but the Langoliers is his worst film.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Whargoul posted:

I will stick with Gerald's Game as his worst story, but the Langoliers is his worst film.

Gerald's Game was a cocaine/alcohol/fever dream as far as I'm concerned. While I'm glad that my local library let me read whatever I liked I still wonder if the handcuffs on the bedpost sent up any red flags in the librarian's head when she checked it out to a ten year old.

Whargoul
Dec 4, 2010

No, Babou, that was all sarcasm.
YES, ALL OF IT, YOU FOX-EARED ASSHOLE!

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

Gerald's Game was a cocaine/alcohol/fever dream as far as I'm concerned. While I'm glad that my local library let me read whatever I liked I still wonder if the handcuffs on the bedpost sent up any red flags in the librarian's head when she checked it out to a ten year old.

I was ten when I read it as well. My mom had some subscription to a Stephen King book club, and I would end up reading them before she did.

After I finished it, and she read it, we had one of those talks that sucked so much as an adolescent.

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006
I'm not sure if it was mentioned way back, but I just finished a reread of the Shining and saw on Wikipedia that apparently King was considering a sequel back in late 2009. Apparently he had readers vote on which of two stories they wanted to read, and one was a Dark Tower novel and one was "Dr. Sleep." Dr. Sleep won.

quote:

The story, King said, would follow a character from the original novel, Danny Torrance, now in his 40s, living in upstate New York, where he works as an orderly at a hospice and helps terminally ill patients pass away with the aid of some extraordinary powers

This got me very excited, because I've always wanted a sequel to The Shining for some reason. Somehow, the way King writes it makes you feel like the Overlook Hotel experience is just the first of many complications that the shining is going to bring to Danny. He has O'Halloran as an example of how a lesser shine can affect you over a lifetime, the allusions to his being an old soul because he sees so much human nature inadvertently, and then he has a later version of himself (as Tony) trying to communicate with him. But for such a powerful character, he stays fairly passive through the story (appropriately, since he's so young) and it makes me want to see him coping with the shine at a later age.

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is Black House worth pursuing beyond the 50-odd pages I've already started? The writing comes across as self conscious - almost like someone trying to pitch an idea to a film producer ("okay see, the film opens with this swooping helicopter camera shot, where it flies in,and using fancy cgi, to medium close up of two people talking, and then flies off..")

On a better note, I picked up a copy of Desperation which I quite like because I've no loving idea what's going to happen, Breezed through a third of the book so far tak!

[edit: Holy poo poo they made a telemovie]

SlightButSteady fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jun 1, 2011

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Black House eventually drops that weird second person-esque narration. Until it picks it back up at the end. Also, while the book is fairly good on its own it has a problem in retrospect where it has all these Dark Tower tie-in bits that ended up having absolutely no pay off. As none of the characters or events ever cross over into the actual Dark Tower books.

Edit: For Desperation I kind of wished he had focused more on the bits about the town self-destructing.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The first hundred pages of Black House can be skipped completely.

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.

Ornamented Death posted:

The first hundred pages of Black House can be skipped completely.

But overall it is worth reading.

PS I loved every page of Black House.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fascist Funk
Dec 18, 2007
Hey guys what is going on on this site
I feel like I'm the only person who enjoyed Regulators more than Desperation.