Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

breathstealer posted:

Oops missed this. It's full auto exposure I think, you can't even shift the program.

You can dink around with the ISO setting to compensate for exposure, but that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Pompous Rhombus posted:

HK, not so much, although the stuff from mainland China that's made it over there probably wouldn't be outrageous. Lucky and Shanghai are the two Chinese brands of film I know, they're cheap and fun for playing around with, although now that I'm back in the US I normally pay the extra to shoot Acros.

I really regret not buying a Seagull 203 when I was there, although I guess for $100 shipped or so I could get one now.
I'm thinking about trying to pick up a cheap tlr when I swing through Beijing on my way home in 3 weeks. I wouldn't have a ton of time to shop around, how far is this Wukesong camera market from the Lido area?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

spf3million posted:

I'm thinking about trying to pick up a cheap tlr when I swing through Beijing on my way home in 3 weeks. I wouldn't have a ton of time to shop around, how far is this Wukesong camera market from the Lido area?

That's out towards the airport/798 Art District, right? If you can get to the subway, just take that out to Wukesong station (line 1, west of Tiananmen Square) and walk north for 15 minutes or so. Look for Mudan or one of the other off-brands, sellers seemed to want more for Seagulls, but you should still be able to stay under $30 without too much trouble.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

You jerk. The local photo store wants two hundred dollars for Seagulls. (okay maybe they're the jerks)

I wish my dad was still going on business trips to China... he got me a stack of really nice calligraphy/sumi-e brushes for cheap from one of those markets when I was in a college ink painting class, but he's changed fields since then and probably won't be going back anymore.

I'll be going on a business trip to China later this year, mainland too. I think Hangzhou, Shenzhen, and maybe other place in the mainland. I'll keep an eye out for some poo poo to bring back for dorkroom goons.

ScreaminKing
Feb 26, 2002

I was punched in the face. What's your excuse?

Pompous Rhombus posted:

HK, not so much, although the stuff from mainland China that's made it over there probably wouldn't be outrageous. Lucky and Shanghai are the two Chinese brands of film I know, they're cheap and fun for playing around with, although now that I'm back in the US I normally pay the extra to shoot Acros.

I really regret not buying a Seagull 203 when I was there, although I guess for $100 shipped or so I could get one now.

I figured that was the case. Why do you have to be so expensively special Hong Kong. Too bad. Maybe I'll ask her to bring me some Lucky film, I've always been curious.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
Still hunting for a cheap 35mm camera to take into the third world next year. drat hipsters driving prices up. Currently bidding on a ricoh auto 35 which sounds fascinating. Looks quite insane too.

Very sci fi. I've googled a bunch on it and all i know is that it's got a rangefinder mechanism and a selenium meter, which is all the better since i want to take this into africa next year and i don't really want to know about fiddly lithium batteries or mercury ones that don't exist anymore. I don't suppose any of the wise goons out there might be able to tell me more about it?

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

Trambopaline posted:

Still hunting for a cheap 35mm camera to take into the third world next year. drat hipsters driving prices up. Currently bidding on a ricoh auto 35 which sounds fascinating. Looks quite insane too.

Very sci fi. I've googled a bunch on it and all i know is that it's got a rangefinder mechanism and a selenium meter, which is all the better since i want to take this into africa next year and i don't really want to know about fiddly lithium batteries or mercury ones that don't exist anymore. I don't suppose any of the wise goons out there might be able to tell me more about it?

Wow, that's a pretty stylish camera. Though I hate to tell you that a selenium meter in a 60's rangefinder viewfinder camera (it seems that only the auto 35V has a rangefinder) is bound to meter way off. That is if it isn't already dead.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about having to use batteries too much. Most camera batteries are small and light, so carrying a few with you shouldn't be an issue. If they are only needed for the light meter and no other functions then they will last for months. On top of that, anywhere that sells film is more than likely to sell batteries as well.

So the question becomes, how big is your budget for buying a camera?

MediumWellDone fucked around with this message at 08:39 on May 23, 2011

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
I'm trying to spend under $50NZD (a bit less than $40USD)

It's not a hard limit, but it's just thati'm preparing to work in tanzania or zambia next year as a medical student and i just want to be able to bring a camera that won't make me very sad if something happens to it. If i was going to I'd prefer something with a rangefinder and shooting manual because hey, if i go film i figure i might as well go all out and get some nostalgic fun.

For some reason locally there's a ridiculous amount of demand for classic cameras, and i've seen a himatic 7s which according to the internet has no collector value go for like 150 NZD. So i'm trawling thrift stores and bottom feeding the local auction sites.

Also, as an aside, I'm kinda debating brining my current camera (I own a relatively cheap (in photography money) low end DSLR, but for a student it still isn't that cheap.)

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜
I just looked NZ Ebay, ouch!

I'd almost suggest stretching your budget and picking up an old Russian RF camera like a Zorki or FED. Then go pretend you are an old timey reporter in Africa :allears:

But that might not be for you. I'll leave this to someone with a better idea about what you should do.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Trambopaline posted:

I'm trying to spend under $50NZD (a bit less than $40USD)

It's not a hard limit, but it's just thati'm preparing to work in tanzania or zambia next year as a medical student and i just want to be able to bring a camera that won't make me very sad if something happens to it. If i was going to I'd prefer something with a rangefinder and shooting manual because hey, if i go film i figure i might as well go all out and get some nostalgic fun.

For some reason locally there's a ridiculous amount of demand for classic cameras, and i've seen a himatic 7s which according to the internet has no collector value go for like 150 NZD. So i'm trawling thrift stores and bottom feeding the local auction sites.

Also, as an aside, I'm kinda debating brining my current camera (I own a relatively cheap (in photography money) low end DSLR, but for a student it still isn't that cheap.)

Just get insurance on it (renter's or homeowners will often do the trick) and get/bring a nicer camera.

Cannister
Sep 6, 2006

Steadfast & Ignorant
I finally got fed up and tried the sharpied-scotch-tape viewfinder patch trick on my XA. What a crazy difference - one of my two complaints about the camera (the other being the iso 800 limit - I'll have to look into that ISO 800 to 1600 bump mod) is now fixed and I can ALWAYS find focus now. I highly recommend everyone do this, as it takes zero effort and cuts your focusing time by 5-20 seconds easily every time.

(fixed - SA's link parser can't handle the underscore) link = http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-165.html

Cannister fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 23, 2011

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
That's an awesome idea. My XA RF window is fogged to hell, I just zone focus when it isn't really bright. I'll give it a whirl.

Your link is bad FYI.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I really want to clean out the rangefinder in my XA like I've done with a bunch if other rangefinders with good results, but I looked up the instructions and all I can say is: "gently caress it". I'll live with a slightly foggy view.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Just get insurance on it (renter's or homeowners will often do the trick) and get/bring a nicer camera.

That's probably the best advice. Thanks for that pompous.

fygar
Nov 24, 2004
glorp
I picked up an Olympus XA at Goodwill this afternoon for $.99. The camera back's rusty around the edges and the light seals aren't much longer for this world, but I'm hoping that it'll last for a roll with new batteries. What I came here to ask is, will the film advance wheel turn if there are no batteries in the camera?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

fygar posted:

I picked up an Olympus XA at Goodwill this afternoon for $.99. The camera back's rusty around the edges and the light seals aren't much longer for this world, but I'm hoping that it'll last for a roll with new batteries. What I came here to ask is, will the film advance wheel turn if there are no batteries in the camera?
That disintegrating foam will stick to your film and ruin it, if it's not so gummed up that you can't advance the film at all.

Beerios
May 9, 2006

by T. Mascis

GWBBQ posted:

That disintegrating foam will stick to your film and ruin it, if it's not so gummed up that you can't advance the film at all.

Oh gently caress me is that where all the dust spots on my test roll came from? I just assumed the minilab monkeys trashed my film and loaded it back up with some nice 160VC.

Cannister
Sep 6, 2006

Steadfast & Ignorant

fygar posted:

The XA only uses the battery to meter and operate the shutter - the film advance wheel should turn just fine until you get to a new frame - I think that's done mechanically - but then I don't think there's a way to advance to the next frame until you take a photo (which requires batteries). I think.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
Right. XA is entirely useless without batteries.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!
On the up-side, the foam seals in the XA are super easy to replace with one of the kits on eBay.

Atomic Hotdog
Aug 23, 2007
I've never seen such confident, powerful strokes of the ass!
Hey guys, this thread made me want to try my hand at photography so I've been scouring ebay for anything. I ended up getting a Yashica Electro 35MC for $11. I got it recently, and it has a bit of battery corrosion and doesn't do anything when I put batteries in. I opened the bottom of it and found that the wire for the negative connection had been disconnected from the corrosion so I'm trying to get it reconnected...
The thing is, I'm poking the wire to a battery while having the positive side touching and nothing really happens when I do this, so I'm wondering if it's worth the effort of soldering it together...
I think the green square on the top is supposed to light up when I fire the shutter as a battery check, but it doesn't... Anyone have any advice?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
A broken camera is worthless, and you didn't invest much into it. You will probably be fine if you just open the bottom plate and resolder the wire. You might want to see if you can find a repair manual to help you.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

been shooting a lot with the Konica Big Mini and the Konica Auto S3. They're both very solid cameras, and they're both Konicas, but they're very different.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Anyone want to sell a Canon QL 17 (or 19)? Thought I had found one locally on craigslist but guy stopped responding :(.

Gordon Bombay
Nov 3, 2010

I'd love to do a character with a wife, a nice little house, a couple of kids, a dog, maybe a bit of singing, and no guns and no killing, but nobody offers me those kind of parts.
Picked up a little Canonet 28 from a salvation army on a road trip, when I got back home and put some film in it got some surprisingly good results for such a cheap little camera

Canonet 28 by Chickenfetus, on Flickr

01290015 by Chickenfetus, on Flickr

01290006 by Chickenfetus, on Flickr

01290012 by Chickenfetus, on Flickr

e: I decided on a whim to look it up on eBay. I guess I got it for super cheap its almost perfect condition, works beautifully, put a new battery into it and the whole thing only cost me around $20, hah.

Gordon Bombay fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jun 3, 2011

QWERTTY
May 26, 2009

Maui Wowie
Took a few photos with some 8yr expired film I found laying around on my new XA2 here are some, you can see the rest on my flickr. All of these are without detachable flash.

_ by xsnackpack, on Flickr

asteroceras
Mar 18, 2007

by T. Finn

MediumWellDone posted:

Wow, that's a pretty stylish camera. Though I hate to tell you that a selenium meter in a 60's rangefinder viewfinder camera (it seems that only the auto 35V has a rangefinder) is bound to meter way off. That is if it isn't already dead.

I'm happy to tell you that (anecdotally), you are wrong.

Yashica Minister III 1963

Scanned from prints (oops). I adjusted levels to match the prints, nothing else:

I've only run three films through this camera, but I put a lot of thought into exposure for every shot and I hit the exposure about 80% of the time. I wish it shot faster than 1/500.
ed: I hate the focal length, by the way - 45mm.

asteroceras fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 8, 2011

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

asteroceras posted:

I'm happy to tell you that (anecdotally), you are wrong.

Yashica Minister III 1963

Now that is a classy camera you have there. Glad to see you are getting good use out of it.

Though from this, it does sound like you need to compensate the light metre reading to get desired exposure?

asteroceras posted:

I've only run three films through this camera, but I put a lot of thought into exposure for every shot and I hit the exposure about 80% of the time.

On a camera like yours, that has manual controls, it isn't too much of an issue; Learn to compensate (as it sounds like you are doing) or buy a hand-held meter. That Ricoh he was looking at was auto exposure only. Sure, he could have dicked around with the ISO setting, but it may have only gotten him so far.

I have nothing against old cameras, it just helps to be aware of the issues you may face when using them.

asteroceras
Mar 18, 2007

by T. Finn

MediumWellDone posted:

Though from this, it does sound like you need to compensate the light metre reading to get desired exposure?

I don't mean the meter reading is inaccurate, if anything, it seems very accurate; I mean that I have to think about where to aim the camera to take a meter reading, then how much to alter exposure time (and aperture in bright scenes) to get the balance of lighting that I want from the actual scene.
Having used digital cameras with live view screens for over a decade (haven't used film at all since 2002), and without a spot meter, I really need to think about exposure and I can't just bracket and edit the RAWs.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

asteroceras posted:

I don't mean the meter reading is inaccurate, if anything, it seems very accurate; I mean that I have to think about where to aim the camera to take a meter reading, then how much to alter exposure time (and aperture in bright scenes) to get the balance of lighting that I want from the actual scene.
Having used digital cameras with live view screens for over a decade (haven't used film at all since 2002), and without a spot meter, I really need to think about exposure and I can't just bracket and edit the RAWs.
I was just thinking the same thing; just got batteries in the post for my old K1000's lightmeter and was tinkering with it before loading a film; ISO is pretty much set by your film, so you only have two sides of the exposure triangle to play with... A shallow DOF shot in a bright setting is going to take some thinking about and all without the benefit of an instant lcd check to see if your intuition was right :) I think I'm going to enjoy this :o:

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

asteroceras posted:

I don't mean the meter reading is inaccurate, if anything, it seems very accurate

Okay, my bad.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Picked up a Ricoh 500 ME for $20 from a flea market today. I could only find one ME on ebay and it was going for ~$116 (and wasnt the black model) so I'm pretty pleased. It's a compact range finder with a light meter and a 40mm 2.8 lens.

ME stands for "multiple exposure". There's actually a multiple exposure button on the camera. I'm running a couple rolls through it today and tonight (bought some 800 speed film to play with)

I'm excited to see what comes out.

chrith
Jan 7, 2009

I think this is the same as your ME. I've been neglecting mine, still on the first roll. Picked it up for 10 dollars without light seal and the meter isnt working. I really like it though nice and compact.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Which of the cameras in the OP (or other similarly nice recommendations) don't require a battery?

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Any camera that is legitimately a 'point and shoot' will require a battery to work since they have an automatic metering process that requires a battery. The good new is that they are almost always watch batteries (or a single AA or AAA) and tend to last forever. If you want a camera that doesn't require a battery you'll have to move up to a full SLR or down to a toy camera.

asteroceras
Mar 18, 2007

by T. Finn

TheLastManStanding posted:

Any camera that is legitimately a 'point and shoot' will require a battery to work since they have an automatic metering process that requires a battery. The good new is that they are almost always watch batteries (or a single AA or AAA) and tend to last forever. If you want a camera that doesn't require a battery you'll have to move up to a full SLR or down to a toy camera.

Well, that's pretty inaccurate... Besides the selenium-metered options (as this thread encompasses rangefinders), many P&S have a set shutter speed.
Not that I have any specific ones to recommend.

Rednik
Apr 10, 2005

FLX posted:

Which of the cameras in the OP (or other similarly nice recommendations) don't require a battery?

Maybe a Holga 35mm? Not a great camera by any means, but it's cheap and would suit your needs on a sunny day.

have it your weigh
Nov 10, 2005
SNARF

FLX posted:

I guess I would would have to suggest the Olympus XA1.
selenium meter, 35mm f4 not the best point and shoot but the only one I can think of without a battery.

http://www.diaxa.com/xa1.htm

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

FLX posted:

The Rollie 35 is completely manual, so no batteries are required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
A couple from the new camera.

"How many hipsters have taken a picture there before?" by spikespikespike, on Flickr

_31_0767.jpg by spikespikespike, on Flickr

• Locked thread