Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

sirbeefalot posted:

Both of my lines should have an upgrade date of July 1st. So operating under the baseless assumption that the phone releases some time in early-mid June, I figure I could maybe sweet talk them into selling it to me with the full discount 2-3 weeks early, and would consider plunking down the $50 to get one at release instead of waiting until my upgrade date and possibly having supply issues. My girlfriend isn't as NOWNOWNOW about getting a new phone, so we'll probably just wait for July 1st for her and get her a Nexus S.

Also, we're on EPRP, so that probably throws a monkey wrench into everything anyway. :v:

Not too bad of a wrench. Just call retentions now, I never see them bitch too much about bumping up upgrades 1 monthish early. Just say your phones are getting fairly old, glitchy, etc (which is likely true).

$50 is your call, I may eat my hat on this one but I am betting the 3D will have some supply issues, but no where near as bad as the Evo. They hyped the original a lot more leading up to it, and the Evo was a much bigger leap forward than the 3D will be. I've been asking Evo owners if they would upgrade, and a lot are kindof like "meh, I guess eventually." So we shall see, but I don't think it will be THAT bad supply wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Duckman2008 posted:

Not too bad of a wrench. Just call retentions now, I never see them bitch too much about bumping up upgrades 1 monthish early. Just say your phones are getting fairly old, glitchy, etc (which is likely true).

$50 is your call, I may eat my hat on this one but I am betting the 3D will have some supply issues, but no where near as bad as the Evo. They hyped the original a lot more leading up to it, and the Evo was a much bigger leap forward than the 3D will be. I've been asking Evo owners if they would upgrade, and a lot are kindof like "meh, I guess eventually." So we shall see, but I don't think it will be THAT bad supply wise.

I think you are probably right about it not being as popular as the EVO 4G. Most people who are into the whole super-phone thing and are on sprint have purchased EVO 4G phones in the last year and are not eligible for a upgrade at a full discount yet. Also, while the EVO 3d is a pretty big upgrade specs wise, the EVO 4g is pretty much past that plateau of performance that most people will not appreciate a performance increase over what it offers. That is to say, the EVO 4g is fast enough for now for most apps and for most people.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Lowen SoDium posted:

I think you are probably right about it not being as popular as the EVO 4G. Most people who are into the whole super-phone thing and are on sprint have purchased EVO 4G phones in the last year and are not eligible for a upgrade at a full discount yet. Also, while the EVO 3d is a pretty big upgrade specs wise, the EVO 4g is pretty much past that plateau of performance that most people will not appreciate a performance increase over what it offers. That is to say, the EVO 4g is fast enough for now for most apps and for most people.

Hopefully this will help me pick one up more easily, which would be nice. I'm coming from a Pre, so I'm expecting it to feel something like the Wright Brothers might have felt riding the space shuttle.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

sirbeefalot posted:

I'm coming from a Pre, so I'm expecting it to feel something like the Wright Brothers might have felt riding the space shuttle.

This is probably the best phone analogy I have ever seen.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I'm starting to waver on getting the 3D. With (still) no firm release date, questions about price and the fact that I'm getting closer to murdering my Hero in cold blood by the day, I don't know if I can continue to wait on vague "summer" release date promises, plus having to more than likely deal with supply issues.

I like HTC, but I'm not chained to them. I've heard awful things about anything Samsung, particularly in the mobile device market. At the same time, I've heard that the Nexus 4G is a pretty solid device and doesn't come with typical Samsung poo poo.

Anyone in the know care to offer a side-by-side comparison of the two and if it'd be worth waiting for the 3D over the 4G or not? I'd appreciate it, as I'm tempted by the solid reviews of the 4G to just upgrade now.

e: Ugh, no SD Card slot is kind of a bummer. I don't much mind the fact that it's 16gb internal, just that I like to swap pictures from my phone a lot and using a microSD-USB converter device is a lot more convenient than carrying a cord around everywhere.

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 22, 2011

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

sirbeefalot posted:

I'm coming from a Pre, so I'm expecting it to feel something like the Wright Brothers might have felt riding the space shuttle.
Indeed the space shuttle does have a massive amount of confusing buttons and settings.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

a shameful boehner posted:

I'm starting to waver on getting the 3D. With (still) no firm release date, questions about price and the fact that I'm getting closer to murdering my Hero in cold blood by the day, I don't know if I can continue to wait on vague "summer" release date promises, plus having to more than likely deal with supply issues.

I like HTC, but I'm not chained to them. I've heard awful things about anything Samsung, particularly in the mobile device market. At the same time, I've heard that the Nexus 4G is a pretty solid device and doesn't come with typical Samsung poo poo.

Anyone in the know care to offer a side-by-side comparison of the two and if it'd be worth waiting for the 3D over the 4G or not? I'd appreciate it, as I'm tempted by the solid reviews of the 4G to just upgrade now.

e: Ugh, no SD Card slot is kind of a bummer. I don't much mind the fact that it's 16gb internal, just that I like to swap pictures from my phone a lot and using a microSD-USB converter device is a lot more convenient than carrying a cord around everywhere.

June 1st is only 10 days away, and we will know by then. 10 days isn't the end of the world.

Carnage
Sep 27, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

June 1st is only 10 days away, and we will know by then. 10 days isn't the end of the world.

not to mention it is just about a phone...

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...
This is how it goes down every year.

Besides they are probably manufacturing them right now, trying to get stock above 250k.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Carnage posted:

not to mention it is just about a phone...

Phones = serious business!

Astiesan
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, about that.
I've heard that you can get Sprint service without giving a SSN. Is this correct?

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

http://www.phonedog.com/2011/05/22/htc-evo-3d-to-be-priced-at-199-99-at-radioshack/

URL says it all. EVO 3d likely priced at $200.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Chunk posted:

http://www.phonedog.com/2011/05/22/htc-evo-3d-to-be-priced-at-199-99-at-radioshack/

No surprises so far.

EDIT: The Green Hornet in 3D. Awesome, 3 dimensions of a bad movie.

900ftjesus fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 23, 2011

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

900ftjesus posted:

No surprises so far.

So, Sprint, am I going to be able to delete this from my phone? Your move.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I hope high-def 3d movies are huge files and it takes up all of the storage space

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Hopefully after a little while they'll start selling on ebay for $250-$300 so I can sell my EVO and snag one. $499 unsub'd is a little too rich for my blood.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Damnit. Why doesn't it have a hardware keyboard?!

I'm >this< close to making the leap and preordering.

edit: NO! I'll wait. I'LL WAIT!

moolchaba fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 23, 2011

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

900ftjesus posted:

I called that back when they first announced and showed the phone.

I'm still waiting for an official release date and price, then I'll head to a Sprint store and see if they'll work with my on my Premier status crap.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Astiesan posted:

I've heard that you can get Sprint service without giving a SSN. Is this correct?

Yes, but you will need two forms of ID. Possibility of a deposit does also go up. If you have a social unless your credit really sucks always use it.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

brc64 posted:

I called that back when they first announced and showed the phone.

I'm still waiting for an official release date and price, then I'll head to a Sprint store and see if they'll work with my on my Premier status crap.

Sprint LOOOOOVVVVEEEEESSSSS premier customers, from what i've found. One of our phones just scored a 5 month upgrade bump because Sprint thinks we are awesome. If you have been a customer with them for any length of time, they let you get away with just about anything, which is why I love them.

I haven't paid a bill on time in years and they haven't even said a thing about it.

Deadpan Science
Sep 6, 2005

by angerbeet

Chunk posted:

I wonder how much the gs2 will sell for.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I'm starting to lose control on my monthly bill and have quite a large outstanding balance that I'm having a hard time paying right now. My 2 year contract is up in February, but I'm wondering if it will be more beneficial to just try and jump ship (to my parents much cheaper plan on Verizon) and pay the outstanding balance over time. Can something like this be done or am I going to have to wait to port my number over after my balance is paid. I have like a $700 balance right now lol

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Deadpan Science posted:

I wonder how much the gs2 will sell for.

Just want them to confirm it will be sexy version and not some bullshit thicker version.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
So randomly my rooted EVO just stopped vibrating. I had been on Fresh 4.0.0.4 for a while and over the weekend it just stopped. When I reboot the phone it doesn't vibrate during the startup, which I thought that was hardcoded in? I have had the phone since late last year, and I didn't drop it this weekend ( i have dropped it in the past, but not recently ).

Am I going to have to use insurance on it? Will I have to put the phone back to stock before I take it in? Also are the new EVO's harder to root?

gently caress this sucks

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Chunk posted:

I'm a Premier customer and I got knocked down to silver when they changed the rules, but I'm pretty sure I'm grandfathered in to still get my 12 month upgrade through June this year, unless I'm remembering wrong. I got my EVO on launch day last year, so does that mean I should be able to trade in my EVO 4G for an EVO 3D for only $100? Just trying to make sure I'm not overlooking anything.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I'm a Premier customer and I got knocked down to silver when they changed the rules, but I'm pretty sure I'm grandfathered in to still get my 12 month upgrade through June this year, unless I'm remembering wrong. I got my EVO on launch day last year, so does that mean I should be able to trade in my EVO 4G for an EVO 3D for only $100? Just trying to make sure I'm not overlooking anything.

Listings on Craigslist for the Evo 4G are $200-$350 right now, mostly $250 and up. Taking $100 from Radioshack is a pretty lowball offer.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
I was thinking about that, but I'm guessing those prices are going to drop once the EVO 3D comes out. That said used EVOs are still going for significantly for more than $100 at the time then I'll definitely that route. It's just reassuring to know that the maximum I'd pay for that phone is $100.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Its not in the system yet (they load it June 1st) but anyone that was premier with a June upgrade should be eligible, so you can get a full upgrade. And like 900ftJesus said, sell that thing on craigslist, buybacks are always a ripoff.

Lblitzer posted:

I'm starting to lose control on my monthly bill and have quite a large outstanding balance that I'm having a hard time paying right now. My 2 year contract is up in February, but I'm wondering if it will be more beneficial to just try and jump ship (to my parents much cheaper plan on Verizon) and pay the outstanding balance over time. Can something like this be done or am I going to have to wait to port my number over after my balance is paid. I have like a $700 balance right now lol

have you called financing? They will make payment arrangements and ways to help catchup on your bill. My suggestion is either financing or if you're just doing the $9.99 add a line on your parents plan, get a temporary number there, then put your sprint bill on the $8.99 seasonal standby for a month or two. Seasonal standby does not stand against your contract, but in your case you just need to stop having the monthly bill come in for a few months.

Just be careful, you don't want a $700 unpaid bill on your credit.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Duckman2008 posted:

Its not in the system yet (they load it June 1st) but anyone that was premier with a June upgrade should be eligible, so you can get a full upgrade. And like 900ftJesus said, sell that thing on craigslist, buybacks are always a ripoff.
You guys are right. I just got excited to see a guarantee of $100 for the phone but yeah, Craigslist or Ebay should get my a free EVO 3D or close to it. My only reservation now is just how locked down the phone will be. I love CM7 on my EVO and I'm not looking forward to going back to stock. Oh well.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Lblitzer posted:

Not a sprint employee, but in general, I don't believe cell companies will port out numbers from accounts with delinquent balances.

(I'm also a bit curious how the line is still active -- a few years ago, due to being broke one month and absent-minded the next, I missed two consecutive due dates, and got a nasty email very quickly threatening disconnection in 10 days. Maybe it was an empty threat, but oddly specific if it was.)

So much chatter about the iphone 4s now. I was looking forward to the evo3d sometime this summer, but if the iphone's only 3 months away, that's a tough call. Now to hope they'll show off some hardware at wwdc in june, and not just ios5.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

WoG posted:

Not a sprint employee, but in general, I don't believe cell companies will port out numbers from accounts with delinquent balances.

(I'm also a bit curious how the line is still active -- a few years ago, due to being broke one month and absent-minded the next, I missed two consecutive due dates, and got a nasty email very quickly threatening disconnection in 10 days. Maybe it was an empty threat, but oddly specific if it was.)

So much chatter about the iphone 4s now. I was looking forward to the evo3d sometime this summer, but if the iphone's only 3 months away, that's a tough call. Now to hope they'll show off some hardware at wwdc in june, and not just ios5.

Why anyone would go with a slightly updated iphone over the Evo3d is beyond me. Unless you're already on an iphone and you've got lots of money tied up in IOS.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

Its not in the system yet (they load it June 1st) but anyone that was premier with a June upgrade should be eligible, so you can get a full upgrade.

I completely forgot about this. I was premier and had a full upgrade available since last October (which went away in April with the silver/gold tiering), does that qualify me for this? Maybe I won't even have to call retentions and ask for an early upgrade.

I had a loving dream about this phone last night, the gently caress is wrong with me.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 23, 2011

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

OptimusMatrix posted:

Why anyone would go with a slightly updated iphone over the Evo3d is beyond me. Unless you're already on an iphone and you've got lots of money tied up in IOS.

Well, you're looking at pretty comparable hardware, assuming the rumored 4s specs are true. Higher res screen, better 2d camera, and slimmer, nicer design for the the iphone vs 4g, 3d, microsd, larger screen*, and faster proc** on the evo. If I'm missing something key, and your point isn't really just, "why anyone would go with ios over android is beyond me," let me know.

*though how much larger is unknown, since since the 'prototype' iphone pics with edge-to-edge display might be the 4s, the 5, or bullshit.
**there won't/can't be any real comparison between the snapdragon and the a5, but they're probably within spitting distance.

I've had an android phone for about 2 months and an ios device (touch 4) for 5, so I have no major allegiance and similar (negligible) amounts of money tied up in their respective markets.

Yes, potential upsides for me, personally, are that not having 4g would save me 10/mo, and flipping a touch would net a lot more money than an optimus, but this is all just hypothetical until we see anything concrete.

WoG fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 23, 2011

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

WoG posted:

Well, you're looking at pretty comparable hardware, assuming the rumored 4s specs are true. Higher res screen, better 2d camera, and slimmer, nicer design for the the iphone vs 3d, microsd, larger screen*, and faster proc** on the evo. If I'm missing something key, and your point isn't really just, "why anyone would go with ios over android is beyond me," let me know.

*though how much larger is unknown, since since the 'prototype' iphone pics with edge-to-edge display might be the 4s, the 5, or bullshit.
**there won't/can't be any real comparison between the snapdragon and the a5, but they're probably within spitting distance.

I've had an android phone for about 2 months and an ios device (touch 4) for 5, so I have no major allegiance and similar (negligible) amounts of money tied up in their respective markets.

Yes, potential upsides for me, personally, are that not having 4g would save me 10/mo, and flipping a touch would net a lot more money than an optimus, but this is all just hypothetical until we see anything concrete.

You're going to pay that 10 dollars regardless of 4g or not. It's added on to all smartphones nowadays.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

OptimusMatrix posted:

You're going to pay that 10 dollars regardless of 4g or not. It's added on to all smartphones nowadays.
Not sero premium, unless sprint jumps back into the exception game. I should have specified that, I guess, but I put it in the 'personal' section instead of the comparison.

Also, yes, I should have added 4g to the evo's advantages. Clear did finally put up some token towers covering 2% of my area (nowhere near me, at the moment), but the coming months will also hopefully bring some new information on whether 4g might be usable soon.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I've got a dumb question, maybe...

I've only been a Sprint customer since the Evo launch, where I opened up a family plan with my brother. Both of our lines were eligible for an upgrade ($150 discount) pretty much immediately after we signed up. I thought it was kind of weird and didn't do anything with them. I figured they were gone for good when Sprint killed the yearly upgrades for Silver customers, but I just checked and they're still on there for both lines.

Basically, is Sprint going to let me upgrade to the Evo 3D on two of my lines, even though I will have only been a customer for a year? I'm not complaining, I just thought yearly upgrades were only for the primary line, and even then, only for Gold customers.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Stevie Lee posted:

I'm not complaining, I just thought yearly upgrades were only for the primary line, and even then, only for Gold customers.

This is how it works as far as I know. The primary line should be eligible because even customers getting bumped down to silver can still get the early upgrade if they were eligible in June. But secondary lines wouldn't be able to upgrade early unless there's something giving it to you.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If the system shows your upgrade as available, it's fair game. They do this once in a while, I ended up with at least one more upgrade than I should've on my line a few years back that appeared to be the result of some phone swapping I did.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
Does someone have a link to anything official stating silver Premier customers are still eligible for the early upgrade through June if they were eligible before the change? I'd just like to have something documented in case there's an issue with my upgrade status. I Googled it and can find people talking about it, but nothing official from Sprint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

sirbeefalot posted:

I completely forgot about this. I was premier and had a full upgrade available since last October (which went away in April with the silver/gold tiering), does that qualify me for this? Maybe I won't even have to call retentions and ask for an early upgrade.

I had a loving dream about this phone last night, the gently caress is wrong with me.

Nope, unfortunately Sprint seems to look at it as you had your shot, you won't be listed as eligible. That being said, call retentions, they'll probably hook you up.

On a conference call today, fingers crossed for the Evo 3D. New devices launch June 5th, so let's see. They just sent out an email on 3D cases.