Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

InfinEight posted:

I love seeing parts used in ways I never would have thought of on my own.

I doubt the 'tracks' actually work without pulling apart, but it looks neat. Then again it looks like he used those springy-sports legs so maybe they actually do work :aaa:

Haha, that's great. I wonder if he was at Brickcon last year for the Lego Store trip. They had lots of grab bags that were just crammed with those legs, and all the other grab bags had a sprinkling of them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
^^^^ Holy poo poo that's a lot of legs.

I treated myself to the UFO Abduction set. Fun to build and holy poo poo it has a brick that makes light! It's pretty goddamn bright, too. That poor farmer has no chance. The little blue barricades seem kind of pointless, though. At least the alien has another human to destroy. Listened to this while building it. I'd take pictures if someone wants. :3:
I can't stop using the light feature. How long does the battery last?

I think I'm going to get the War of the Worlds-ish tripod set next. Hell yeah.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
I got one of those light bricks from a Prince of Persia set, and can never think of anything to use it for. What's it worth on its own?

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
Ran across 2 Lego advent calenders at a yard sale. 1298 and 7687, they're both complete, the boxe flaps have been opened, but the punch through on the front are still sealed. All the little packages inside are still sealed as well.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
My GF is loving awesome and got me the Imperial Flagship for my birthday. It's the first lego set I'v had since I was a kid and it's easily the most loving awesomest.

Question time, I want to buy another set, do I buy QAR or Slave 1? I can get either one for a pretty drat good price but only for the next few hours ($90 AUD, the QAR retails for 199 AUD and is about 150AUD in select stores.)

I definitely want another ship to compliment, but I have a feeling/hope that the Black Pearl will be that ship...

Joudas
Sep 29, 2005

Now here's a kid who's whole world got all twisted,
leaving him stranded on a rock in the sky...
The queen annes revenge is freaking amazing. I'm only on bag 3, already. The first bag alone looked like what you'd get for an entire set. It uses a lot of individual studs and regular bricks, it's really awesome. I expected more "cheat" blocks but it's all pretty much classic stuff so far.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
I've been organizing my rubbermaids full of lego and finally got around to looking up some manuals for some classic sets. Here's my 4005 and 4025. The latter has more minifigs than it came with, as I needed somewhere for them to live while I rebuild the 6382 Fire Station.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"

Joudas posted:

The queen annes revenge is freaking amazing. I'm only on bag 3, already. The first bag alone looked like what you'd get for an entire set. It uses a lot of individual studs and regular bricks, it's really awesome. I expected more "cheat" blocks but it's all pretty much classic stuff so far.

Just ordered two of them for less than my countries RRP for ONE. I love importing :)

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Joudas posted:

Can you take some pictures and/or tell us about it when you're finished? I've never owned a Lego Pirate ship, despite having a lot of the smaller sets when I was growing up (and, you know, more recently...). Always wanted one.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
Now that is one god dammed creepy looking castle

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Handiklap posted:

I've been organizing my rubbermaids full of lego and finally got around to looking up some manuals for some classic sets. Here's my 4005 and 4025. The latter has more minifigs than it came with, as I needed somewhere for them to live while I rebuild the 6382 Fire Station.

Aw man, I had a lego boat like those as a kid. Then I left it in the wading pool and it got all bent and distorted in the sun. :smith:

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

A few days ago I was in a toy store, looking for a present for my friend's daughter (1 year old, so not quite lego age yet). I was in a really bad mood until I remembered this thread and decided to have a look at the lego section. Ended up buying some minifigs to cheer myself up! They had both series 3 and 4 (I think?) and I got a samurai, a gorilla suit guy, a werewolf and a soccer player. :D :D :D

I didn't find a present for the kid yet, but I'll probably get her a Winnie the Pooh Duplo set - she'll be old enough for it soon.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.
Got the last series 4 fig I wanted today via feeling for the vial! Only missing soccer player, viking, hockey, and ice skater, none of whom I'm all that interested in.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Handiklap posted:

Oh my god I had the fireboat on the right! It came with weighted bits that you attached to the bottom so it would float upright in the bath! :swoon:

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Oh my god I had the fireboat on the right! It came with weighted bits that you attached to the bottom so it would float upright in the bath! :swoon:

I had a police boat like that, possibly this one though it came out four years before I was born. Maybe I got it secondhand, too long ago to remember.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Garrison of Moriah

8 feet tall, 28' long, about 200,000 bricks. If we consider an average Lego brick price of what, 5 cents?

This could have cost a million dollars to build. Also keep in mind that in this guy's new house, he had a room designed just to make this. That said.. why the hell didn't he have the floor colored blue instead of orange? Then it'd totally look like water.

Revol fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 23, 2011

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Revol posted:

Garrison of Moriah

8 feet tall, 28' long, about 200,000 bricks. If we consider an average Lego brick price of what, 5 cents?

This could have cost a million dollars to build. Also keep in mind that in this guy's new house, he had a room designed just to make this. That said.. why the hell didn't he have the floor colored blue instead of orange? Then it'd totally look like water.

Goddamn :stare:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Is that thing from something specific or just a MOC?

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Just got back from spending all weekend at Kidsfest in Minneapolis. Not something I'd go to as an adult, but our lug (TWINLUG) was exhibiting. If you get a chance to do that, I can definitely recommend it, as the pay is good and we got a nice sale at the on-site store at the end. It's a lonnnnnng weekend though!

The main part of our display was Micropolis, which we've been working on for about three years.

TWINLUG at Kidsfest by pbpancho, on Flickr

We also had a bunch of mosaics and stained glass and several of my starfighters.

One of the highlights of Micropolis was my drive-in movie theatre that I modified Saturday to hold my phone and play movies. The kids got a big kick out of it as it was looping that Cars 2 trailer done in Lego.

The drive-in gets an upgrade by pbpancho, on Flickr

I hit the post-fest sale pretty hard... That Prince of Persia set was $11 thanks to clearance+dented box! The Death Star will go into storage until Christmas or so and the prices skyrocket. Should help pay for some of this other stuff!

Kidsfest haul by pbpancho, on Flickr

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Revol posted:

Garrison of Moriah

A million bucks would get you something like 10 million bricks. 200,000 bricks at 5 cents a piece would get you a million cents, or $10,000.

I hate it when someone makes some epic or otherwise awesome MOC...then posts 800x600 pictures.

vvvvvvv Howabout the Imperial Guards in the big Christian chapel?

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 23, 2011

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

The Bible verses displayed along the top go great with the LotR theme :stare:
e: I guess it's a space station, judging by the way everyone is dressed. Space Station Megachurch.

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 23, 2011

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
So THAT'S why old Space minifigs are so expensive.

King Faraday
May 22, 2009

No one has posted this yet so I guess I gotta.

Really neat (and hideously limited edition) Lego Moulding Machine, based on the ones they use to make Lego. I think it's a very cool thing that I will never own.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Pyroclastic posted:

I hate it when someone makes some epic or otherwise awesome MOC...then posts 800x600 pictures.

Yeah. This thing's really amazing but, honestly, thousands of dollars in bricks, like a year in the works, and he spent about 3 minutes taking pictures of it. I'm no great photographer myself, so I'm generally not too picky about photos, but investing 20 bucks in a couple lights would have worked wonders here. At any rate I hope he gets around to taking better photos, because I'd love to get a better look at this thing.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

King Faraday posted:

No one has posted this yet so I guess I gotta.

Really neat (and hideously limited edition) Lego Moulding Machine, based on the ones they use to make Lego. I think it's a very cool thing that I will never own.

I wondered about that when I saw it pop up on Brickset. Holy moly, so many exclusive sets I'll never get anywhere near.

Picked up some S4 today, batted 1/3 on using a dot guide. Punk rocker! The repeats aren't bad though - a hazmat and a hockey player. Wanted a viking and a second musketeer.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Saint Sputnik posted:

I wondered about that when I saw it pop up on Brickset. Holy moly, so many exclusive sets I'll never get anywhere near.

You too can get an extremely limited set! All you have to do is manage to get in on one of the Lego Inside Tours in Billund. They're 2.5 days long, happen three times in May and June, and have room for 22 people apiece. At least, this is how the 2012 tours are set up.
And they cost $2000. They include 2 nights hotel and most of your meals and all of your tour transportation, and a tour-exclusive set.
I probably wouldn't go over there exclusively for the tour, but if I were going to Europe for another reason, I'd try and make the it happen.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

What's the best website to keep a list of what sets I own etc? It doesn't seem like BrickLink lets you add what you own?

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Saint Sputnik posted:

e: I guess it's a space station, judging by the way everyone is dressed. Space Station Megachurch.

I guess that depends if it is Moria or Moriah

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Time Cowboy posted:

So THAT'S why old Space minifigs are so expensive.

When you say "so expensive" how expensive are we talking?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

When you say "so expensive" how expensive are we talking?

About $2-7, depending on condition. The gold printing on their torsos is commonly faded away and the chin pieces of their helmets were easy to break.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Blacktron I figures go for about $2-9.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Ingram posted:

What's the best website to keep a list of what sets I own etc? It doesn't seem like BrickLink lets you add what you own?

http://brickset.com/ is what a lot of people use, including me.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Pyroclastic posted:

About $2-7, depending on condition. The gold printing on their torsos is commonly faded away and the chin pieces of their helmets were easy to break.
I wish my stepfather had never given away my old LEGO. I had lots of space, and apparently, I played well with my toys because I never had a broken helmet.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
For limited sets like the Moulding Machine, wouldn't it be possible to just find the instruction booklet posted somewhere and then buy the parts off of Bricklink? I can't seem to fine any specialty pieces on that model from the looks of it, besides the stickers. Sure it would more than lily be rather expensive to do it this way, but for a kit that will disappear quickly and then be resold from that limited stock at an exaggerated price, it may be worth it. Then again, this kit is rather small, I can see larger kits being more impractical, especially as specialty parts get added into the equation.

Iveliosiudicium
Aug 21, 2003
Why are you looking at me like that?
I put a post into SA mart for the remaining legos I have for sale. Castle, space, and aqua raiders.

Edit: Is the price too high? What would it take to sell these?

Iveliosiudicium fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 25, 2011

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Best use of cheese wedges I've ever seen

(From Flickr guy legomonster)

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Holy crap, that's brilliant :monocle:

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Agreed. I've seen some ballsy new techniques in my day, but the simplicity and brilliance of that astounds me.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Saint Sputnik posted:

More reasons religious people scare me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Saint Sputnik posted:

Best use of cheese wedges I've ever seen

(From Flickr guy legomonster)

They fit really well. I was sure the wedges would stick inside the brick, but they slid out smoothly without being loose. I can see this being useful for furniture details, with the wedges as legs.