Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Thespis posted:

It's funny cause while waiting in line you see Pee Wee Pilot Droid in a box, with a sticker on him labeled 'DEFECTIVE'. He'll randomly spout lines from the old ride. It's actually really creepy, he's just rambling on like some sort of old war vet.
That actually sounds pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Just some art from the Saga Edition Star Wars RPG. I think it's from the droid book and is just a picture. No one has attached 10 pages of backstory yet as far as I know.

I really want to make the "yet" in this post ten feet tall, so that it will break out of people's monitors when they open the page.

Also, that droid looks pretty pissed off. Probably mad someone painted him while he slept recharged shut off because he fell over and then farted.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Kart Barfunkel posted:

And fantastic shots too. How can they shoot a moving object going 500 miles an hour while Obi-Wan criticizes them 30 years later for having poo poo aim? Dude's standards must be through the roof

Dude's old. 'Back in my day Raiders were crack shots, not like you young whippersnappers, what do they teach you in school these days? Also, get off my lawn'.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
That what annoyed me about the prequal canon when it was finally established, as kids we all assumed Obi-Wan was around seventy age wise not just a really incredibly weathered looking guy in his mid fifties.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

feedmegin posted:

Dude's old. 'Back in my day Raiders were crack shots, not like you young whippersnappers, what do they teach you in school these days? Also, get off my lawn'.

Young Obi-Wan had to live in the days of Jar Jar Binks, Anakin going off about sand every three minutes, and his minor villains saying things like "Me so solly, soldia boy, we no lift brockade." poo poo was pretty rough.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
So does the technology used in lightsabers get used anywhere else in the galaxy? Seems that beams of light that can cut through literally everything to ever exist might have some practical or industrial applications. Maybe even use in the home? I mean, it's not like you even need to hook that poo poo into it's iLightsaber dock at night to let it charge or anything, it just keeps going and burning forever. Couldn't you basically use them for free energy? Or even the most useful factory tool ever for say... cutting up pieces of metal quickly with almost no cost after the initial purchase? It seems like possibly the greatest discovery/technology to ever be invented but... I haven't seen anything that isn't in sword, staff, retarded armor spikes or any other direct melee thing that uses it. And in ep. 1 when they're cutting through those doors to get to the aliens that ordered them gassed, they all seemed so stuncocked and surprised that the lightsabers could cut through their doors. It's like no one knows about these things at all? Everyone seems to know who a Jedi is but I guess they don't really get that their swords can cut through anything?

Those things have been around forever, why has no one figured to use this stuff for anything but a weapon? Have the Jedi's kept them secret that long, and if so, wouldn't hiding such an amazing technology be like holding back the cure for AIDS since they could potentially be so useful?

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Harvey Mantaco posted:

So does the technology used in lightsabers get used anywhere else in the galaxy?

Buttersabers, Steaksabers, etc. would make for awesome uses. As would a chainsaber (chainsaw) which would make a good WTF drawing.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Harvey Mantaco posted:

So does the technology used in lightsabers get used anywhere else in the galaxy? Seems that beams of light that can cut through literally everything to ever exist might have some practical or industrial applications. Maybe even use in the home? I mean, it's not like you even need to hook that poo poo into it's iLightsaber dock at night to let it charge or anything, it just keeps going and burning forever. Couldn't you basically use them for free energy? Or even the most useful factory tool ever for say... cutting up pieces of metal quickly with almost no cost after the initial purchase? It seems like possibly the greatest discovery/technology to ever be invented but... I haven't seen anything that isn't in sword, staff, retarded armor spikes or any other direct melee thing that uses it. And in ep. 1 when they're cutting through those doors to get to the aliens that ordered them gassed, they all seemed so stuncocked and surprised that the lightsabers could cut through their doors. It's like no one knows about these things at all? Everyone seems to know who a Jedi is but I guess they don't really get that their swords can cut through anything?

Those things have been around forever, why has no one figured to use this stuff for anything but a weapon? Have the Jedi's kept them secret that long, and if so, wouldn't hiding such an amazing technology be like holding back the cure for AIDS since they could potentially be so useful?

If you're in a galaxy with 200 million inhabitable planets (I think? who cares) and there are 20000 Jedi Knights, would you give a rat's rear end whether or not a lightsaber can cut through your 3' thick armor plated door?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

arioch posted:

If you're in a galaxy with 200 million inhabitable planets (I think? who cares) and there are 20000 Jedi Knights, would you give a rat's rear end whether or not a lightsaber can cut through your 3' thick armor plated door?

If I was doing stuff that would attract their attention, sure.
There are so many uses for a forever hot never needs recharging super portable thing though, besides doors.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Harvey Mantaco posted:

There are so many uses for a forever hot never needs recharging super portable thing though, besides doors.

They do need recharging in a way, it's just that their use in combat drains the power cell so little it hardly ever needs replacing.

'S'what I read anyway.

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson

LLJKSiLk posted:

Buttersabers

This was a joke in the first Star Wars episode of Family Guy, if I remember correctly.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Then you're quite simply doing it wrong.

quote:

The real explanation is that lightsabers are just a special weaponized application of a technology that is already widely available. And if anybody who's coming at you who has that technology and doesn't know how to use it as a weapon, you'd simply shoot him.

Gustavus
May 27, 2008

Lock up your sons and daughters.

Ninja_Orca posted:

This was a joke in the first Star Wars episode of Family Guy, if I remember correctly.

They also had a lightsabery kind of knife in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie that toasted bread as it sliced it.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
They didn't just send the pile of lightsabers out to various manufacturing plants & construction sites after Order 66?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

arioch posted:

Then you're quite simply doing it wrong.

The real explanation is that lightsabers are just a special weaponized application of a technology that is already widely available. And if anybody who's coming at you who has that technology and doesn't know how to use it as a weapon, you'd simply shoot him.

I wasn't talking about weapons at all though, but your explanation that's it's a technology in use that (maybe you're not implying this) doesnt seem obviosly aparent makes enough sense I guess.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

So does the technology used in lightsabers get used anywhere else in the galaxy? Seems that beams of light that can cut through literally everything to ever exist might have some practical or industrial applications.

In true EU style, the list of things lightsabers can't cut through is actually really long.

omgLerkHat!
Dec 7, 2003

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I wasn't talking about weapons at all though, but your explanation that's it's a technology in use that (maybe you're not implying this) doesnt seem obviosly aparent makes enough sense I guess.

We have plasma cutters TODAY that sear through steel like it's butter. Considering the vast majority of weapons and such in Star Wars are energy based I don't find it hard to imagine that it's a common everyday technology.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
Just when you thought the EU couldn't get any neckbeardy-er:

:doh: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_katana

The Jedi Katana.

Also, what's with the naming convention for villains, especially in Episode 3? General Grievous? Darth Plagueis? Darth Maul

poo poo, if there was an Episode 7, it would probably feature Darth Evil and Lord Chi-uld Mohlestor

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
There's also Darth Stroyer, Darth Trocious, Darth Sploder, Darth Urderer and Darth Ithead.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

Captain von Trapp posted:

In true EU style, the list of things lightsabers can't cut through is actually really long.

I'm surprised the EU doesn't have a smuggler whose every possession is made out of something on that list. Because that would be funny as hell to see some poor bastard jedi try to deal with him.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

NeonTurtle posted:

I'm surprised the EU doesn't have a smuggler whose every possession is made out of something on that list. Because that would be funny as hell to see some poor bastard jedi try to deal with him.

Why would a Jedi give a poo poo what a smuggler is doing? I mean, as long as he isn't carrying contraband Sith artifacts--but then, that smuggler has bigger worries than the occasional Jedi passer-by, because any Sith wannabe is probably going to track him down, and even if a Jedi is unlikely to use choke/lightning/persuasion powers a Sith sure will, and that makes the fancy, ultra-rare, super-expensive lightsaber-resistant metals start looking pretty useless.

Not A Bear
Nov 4, 2009

Harvey Mantaco posted:

If I remember correctly, they (ordinary non-jedi, non-wookipedia backstory, non-force sensitive people) had vibroblades - which was like a vibrating knife or some poo poo? Who knows? But from what I remember, they were pretty much used like you'd use a knife...that vibrates...maybe they were used for other things? Vibrospoons anyone?

Why you'd choose a knife that hums (maybe?) over a laser sword that can cut through anything* and is probably about the same size as a vibroblade when turned off, no one will ever know. Maybe the jedi had a space patent on them or something? Those capitalist bastards, trying to keep the common man from having awesome glowy things that cut through stuff.

And also Force Pikes and Gaffi Sticks for some reason. Apparently only Gammoreans, and various other hench-species use Force Pikes, perhaps named because the Pikes themselves are Force sensetive? Or ony work on people who are force sensetive?

*see approved list, apendix A through to 97F.

omgLerkHat!
Dec 7, 2003

Not A Bear posted:

If I remember correctly, they (ordinary non-jedi, non-wookipedia backstory, non-force sensitive people) had vibroblades - which was like a vibrating knife or some poo poo? Who knows? But from what I remember, they were pretty much used like you'd use a knife...that vibrates...maybe they were used for other things? Vibrospoons anyone?

Why you'd choose a knife that hums (maybe?) over a laser sword that can cut through anything* and is probably about the same size as a vibroblade when turned off, no one will ever know. Maybe the jedi had a space patent on them or something? Those capitalist bastards, trying to keep the common man from having awesome glowy things that cut through stuff.

And also Force Pikes and Gaffi Sticks for some reason. Apparently only Gammoreans, and various other hench-species use Force Pikes, perhaps named because the Pikes themselves are Force sensetive? Or ony work on people who are force sensetive?

*see approved list, apendix A through to 97F.

I don't know about you, but I like being able to actually see exactly where I'll be cutting when I use a knife. Having my blade be some thick brightly glowing thing makes precise cuts difficult. Because a sword is not designed for fine work at all. And even if you somehow miniaturized the technology so the blade was tiny it wouldn't work much more effectively than an industrial cutting laser or plasma torch.

The idea behind the vibrating knives is that with little serrations or even no serrations, a blade vibrating hundreds or thousands of times per second will cut easily through most materials with little force exerted by the user. It's the same idea behind the electric toothbrush taken to its logical extreme.

Additionally, an ordinary knife has a lot of uses that a lightsaber would not be able to replicate in a million years. A partial list:

1.Can be used to prepare food, including gutting and cleaning an animal in a survival situation
2.Manipulate objects/spread things around/butter bread/etc.
3.Impromptu screwdriver in an emergency (don't do this)
4.Amazing tool for removing cactus thorns or splinters
5.the list goes on. Seriously a normal utility knife is one of the MOST useful single tools you can carry with you.

Also notice that many uses of a knife do not involve slicing effortlessly through the item being worked on and leaving it singed. So in short, a plasma torch is not a substitute for a knife.

Also I'm not sure where you people are getting the idea that lightsabers would never need to be recharged simply because it's never shown on screen. By that logic none of the characters ever need to poop (the 'no toilets on the Enterprise' scenario)

omgLerkHat! fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 24, 2011

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Not A Bear posted:

Not A Bear
Nov 4, 2009

omgLerkHat! posted:

:words:

This all makes too much sense - I'm beginning to doubt your commitment to the Star Wars Extended Universe.

They do talk about charging lightsabers in several of the books (not quite on screen, but whatever), I cant quite remember if you needed to constantly charge it, or if the force charged it, or if you charged it once when you first made it and thereafter it didnt need charging. Did any of the lightsabers we see in any of the movies even have a battery indicator?

Talk about embarassing though, imagine turning up to your sith lord confrontation with a quarter charged lightsaber - youngling mistake if I ever heard of one!

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Ultrasonic knives do exist, right now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T3bFvSPJS4

It cuts through carpet like nothing, and they even make handheld versions too. Probably the most reasonable of all futuristic weapons. :ese:

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

Geekner posted:

Ultrasonic knives do exist, right now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T3bFvSPJS4

It cuts through carpet like nothing, and they even make handheld versions too. Probably the most reasonable of all futuristic weapons. :ese:

That's loving crazy. I want one. I don't know what I'd do with it, but I want one.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Mister Roboto posted:

The Japanese are loving crazy.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The Japanese are loving crazy.

Gun/Weapons were pretty common everywhere for a time.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
Forgive me if it has been explained before, but how did Luke Skywalker get to be a great Jedi with 3-4 months of training (sure, it was one-on-one with Yoda, the Grand Master, but still), followed by a year of independent study?

From what I understood from the movies, training in the Order started at a very young age, and took quite a while. Take Anakin, for example. He was inducted into the order at age 9, already thought to be too old, and was a Padawan for 10 years, skipping the Youngling stage altogether, then graduated from Knight to Master in 3. This is already a fast schedule, but Luke really takes the cake on this.

Is it just a case of Luke being Jorge's own Gary Stu self-insert character, or is there 300 pages of Wookieepedia and EU backstory, along with a 19 part multi-author series explaining it?

fake edit: Chrome spellcheck recognizes Jedi as a valid word, while Skywalker doesn't get the same treatment

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
In the OT becoming a Jedi was about Self discovery and poo poo like that. It was less about waving a lightsaber about and more about figuring out who you were.

Then the new movies came about and said that being a Jedi is like going to school and you get to be a Jedi aslong as you can pass your Force push Final.

Hate that poo poo.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Luke wasn't that great of a Jedi either. He stood toe-to-toe with a geriatric, crippled Vader and managed to get the poo poo beat out of him the first time they met. When Sidious got off the sidelines, Luke got the poo poo beat out of him again and only managed to escape because his father was a big softie.

quote:

In the OT becoming a Jedi was about Self discovery and poo poo like that. It was less about waving a lightsaber about and more about figuring out who you were.

Then the new movies came about and said that being a Jedi is like going to school and you get to be a Jedi aslong as you can pass your Force push Final.

Hate that poo poo.

Well, a big part of that was probably memorizing the worthless Jedi Code and being ordered to give assistance some mindless bureaucrat, which the prequels highlighted was the giant flaw of the order.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 24, 2011

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Sunshine89 posted:

Is it just a case of Luke being Jorge's own Gary Stu self-insert character, or is there 300 pages of Wookieepedia and EU backstory, along with a 19 part multi-author series explaining it?

Well, Luke S. So maybe.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

WhyteRyce posted:

Luke wasn't that great of a Jedi either. He stood toe-to-toe with a geriatric, crippled Vader and managed to get the poo poo beat out of him the first time they met. When Sidious got off the sidelines, Luke got the poo poo beat out of him again and only managed to escape because his father was a big softie.

That's actually a good point, Luke vs Sidious apparently results in Sidious' victory.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Mister Roboto posted:

That's actually a good point, Luke vs Sidious apparently results in Sidious' victory.

He was told to defeat Vader in order to become a Jedi Knight. No one ever suggested that he should try to face down the emperor, at least right away. Circumstances just sort of dragged him in that direction.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Chaos Hippy posted:

He was told to defeat Vader in order to become a Jedi Knight. No one ever suggested that he should try to face down the emperor, at least right away. Circumstances just sort of dragged him in that direction.

Well, you'd think Yoda would warn Luke about the telekinetic lightning magic that he had to run from last time.

Yes, the real reason was Lucas hadn't thought it up yet.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
You know, I didn't really like the prequels, but I never outright hated George Lucas.
Then I started reading this thread.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Flavor Bear posted:

You know, I didn't really like the prequels, but I never outright hated George Lucas.
Then I started reading this thread.

Something Awful is pretty good for that. Goons have the power of souring you on anything. I recommend avoiding any TV IV threads for shows you actually like cause goons will ruin them for you. Ditto for most games threads.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I'm not sure if raising your standard of discourse and criticism about things that matter to you is something to avoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED