Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rohaq posted:

Sadly my upgrade is due at the start of next month; I might just go for a lower monthly contract then.
Can't you upgrade in a few months when something genuinely better comes out?

Rohaq posted:

The Arc looks loving lovely, mind.
Sony has recently made their 2011 Xperia devices hacker friendly, it's prime for a CyanogenMod port. I just question how much developer attention it will receive given the recent-release of superior hardware. And I wouldn't recommend getting it until there's a solid port in the works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I'm attempting a basic root with my new Inspire and I'm unable to find a clear explanation of how to extract an SD card serial number without having a CS degree. I've googled over and over again and it's either forum posts full of dead links or something about hex editors in SDKs I can't find. I'm attempting to use the ace rootkit v11 as that appears to be the most up to date rooting method. Help?

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Click on the little ? under my username to see my posts in this thread and I link a really easy Inspire root program

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Can't you upgrade in a few months when something genuinely better comes out?

Sony has recently made their 2011 Xperia devices hacker friendly, it's prime for a CyanogenMod port. I just question how much developer attention it will receive given the recent-release of superior hardware. And I wouldn't recommend getting it until there's a solid port in the works.
Apparently that tool won't work on SIM-locked phones, which mine likely would be.

I have no idea if they'll let me hold off on the upgrade as my contract comes to an end. Worth asking, though.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Danhenge posted:

Click on the little ? under my username to see my posts in this thread and I link a really easy Inspire root program

drat that's awesome. Thank you.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

datajosh posted:

Yeah, you should be able to just flash now. From my understanding, you need to flash the 1.77 PRI first, then reboot, then flash the ROM. If you're using B1.1.2, that should be it. On earlier releases there was a GFX_FIX.zip that the ROM's install script would extract to your SD card and then you would need to flash that, but from what I read, it's not required on the latest one.

Do I just reboot right into recovery after PRI_1.77? Because it won't get past the lockscreen ont hat, pretty sure.

Edit: So far, def just hit reboot and it goes back to recovery.

Edit 2: And boom! It reboots a few times upon first rebooting, but give it time, its loading up now. Very cool load screen.

Edit 3: Definitely give it a lot of time to load the first time (I may just be impatient), but this is working fine so far.

Edit 4: Very very pretty so far. But apps won't download from the marketplace :( thankfully they will download from the amazon app store

To warn everyone, this is definitely more of an Alpha than Beta ROM feel. Everything is slow, it freezes, sometimes it can't get to the home screen. I think apps are downloading now that I did a reboot. Its really cool, and I'll probably use it for a week or two, but it is not extremely stable.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 23, 2011

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
My experience so far:
I used http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=961406 (thanks Danhenge) for their little Gold Card generator which was very helpful.

Then noticing the age of the root kit in the file they sent out I decided to use the actual root part from this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=952352 which put me in an unlocked etc etc state.

Then after looking around a bit I decided that Android Revolution was the best choice since there aren't any Inspire-specific custom ROMs yet. I rebooted the phone into the boot loader after downloading their zip, formatted the data partition to EXT4 and installed the 5.1.7 release.

This has had several benefits - I'm on Gingerbread now, with the latest dot releases and all the stupid garbage apps are gone. Whats more, I noticed the battery life has gone way up I'm guessing as a result of not having so many garbage apps running in the background and my use of Juicedefender to keep the phone off the 4G network unless it's necessary.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Das Volk posted:

This has had several benefits - I'm on Gingerbread now, with the latest dot releases and all the stupid garbage apps are gone. Whats more, I noticed the battery life has gone way up I'm guessing as a result of not having so many garbage apps running in the background and my use of Juicedefender to keep the phone off the 4G network unless it's necessary.
Garbage apps shouldn't consume resources at all in the background (although some do), but the thing that's confusing me is keeping it off 4G. AT&T just uses HSPA+ which is the same thing 3G is. Granted, seeking for a weak 3G signal can kill the battery in lovely coverage, but if you've got a good 3G signal there's no reason to go to EDGE only.

It isn't like WiMAX or LTE where there's a separate radio for "4G".

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
What he said, the Inspire doesn't actually have "4G." It just supports HSPA+.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Have we discussed the value of Throttle.zip type files? On Verizon, you really shouldn't need anything like that if you're tethering, wireless or USB right? Some people say you don't need it and others flash it just for the placebo effect I guess. What do you guys think?

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
I've got a launch-month Evo running the latest Sense w/ gingerbread. I've been having restart problems since the last version of Gingerbread, mainly when using Google Maps Nav and sometimes when playing games. I never used to have this problem...

What would be the series of steps to see what the problem is?

I'm guessing factory reset, SD Card format, revert to non-Fresh (stock sense)?

Not running any task killers or battery savers. Wifi is off, as is 4g.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

LastInLine posted:

Garbage apps shouldn't consume resources at all in the background (although some do), but the thing that's confusing me is keeping it off 4G. AT&T just uses HSPA+ which is the same thing 3G is. Granted, seeking for a weak 3G signal can kill the battery in lovely coverage, but if you've got a good 3G signal there's no reason to go to EDGE only.

It isn't like WiMAX or LTE where there's a separate radio for "4G".

My iPhone 3G did consume more power on the 3G network although I couldn't tell you why, it just did. I am comfortable with sticking to 2G for another reason unless I'm going to use data - in the bay area the AT&T network will drop calls repeatedly if you're on 3G/4G/bullshit4G on AT&T.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Das Volk posted:

My iPhone 3G did consume more power on the 3G network although I couldn't tell you why, it just did.

I can tell you why - one, 3G usually uses slightly more power than plain GSM and two, you probably had poorer UMTS/HSPA signal than GSM signal, which means it took more power to use the 3G network.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Das Volk posted:

My iPhone 3G did consume more power on the 3G network although I couldn't tell you why, it just did. I am comfortable with sticking to 2G for another reason unless I'm going to use data - in the bay area the AT&T network will drop calls repeatedly if you're on 3G/4G/bullshit4G on AT&T.
I was so close to putting "unless you're in San Francisco or NYC" in there and then I thought, "Why would anyone in SFO or NYC be on AT&T?"

Shows what I get for making assumptions.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LastInLine posted:

I was so close to putting "unless you're in San Francisco or NYC" in there and then I thought, "Why would anyone in SFO or NYC be on AT&T?"

I've never had an issue in NYC on AT&T but I've also never owned my own iPhone. Verizon's only slight advantage in NYC for me is that some subway stations and commuter train tunnels get marginal Verizon service instead of no AT&T service.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

LastInLine posted:

So far the phone's been reliable but then I'm using tricks I learned when I owned the i3G. I got this one because I'm transferring my job to the UK and want to have something I can use there. Verizon for all its clunkiness was an extremely reliable carrier here in the bay.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

yamdankee posted:

Have we discussed the value of Throttle.zip type files? On Verizon, you really shouldn't need anything like that if you're tethering, wireless or USB right? Some people say you don't need it and others flash it just for the placebo effect I guess. What do you guys think?

You're talking about the data throttle removers right? Everything I've heard says they're 100% pointless. Verizon only throttles something like top 5% of data users. And supposedly they're required to pop up an icon in the notification bar warning you of such. But I've never even seen/heard of anyone being throttled.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Duckman2008 posted:

To warn everyone, this is definitely more of an Alpha than Beta ROM feel. Everything is slow, it freezes, sometimes it can't get to the home screen. I think apps are downloading now that I did a reboot. Its really cool, and I'll probably use it for a week or two, but it is not extremely stable.
That's kinda what I expected... I think I'll stick with my CM7.1 nightlies for now :)

Interlude
Jan 24, 2001

Guns are basically hand fedoras.

fishmech posted:

I've never had an issue in NYC on AT&T but I've also never owned my own iPhone. Verizon's only slight advantage in NYC for me is that some subway stations and commuter train tunnels get marginal Verizon service instead of no AT&T service.
Must be an iPhone thing. The ATT ones are drat near unusable indoors.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

datajosh posted:

That's kinda what I expected... I think I'll stick with my CM7.1 nightlies for now :)

Still using it, it has gotten better throughout the day overall. The main problem is it randomly freezes and won't get to the home screen for a long rear end time. Overall, im ok with trying it out for a bit.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

So, is it worth moving over to CM7 for a Galaxy S or should I wait for the builds to mature? I'm currently using an almost stock 2.2 ROM.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

fondue posted:

So, is it worth moving over to CM7 for a Galaxy S or should I wait for the builds to mature? I'm currently using an almost stock 2.2 ROM.

Let me directly quote a friend who moved to CM7 official nightlies on his Captivate "holy poo poo this phone does not suck at all now and the gps locks on in under 30 seconds every time".

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Last night I tried once again to update to the latest stable CM7 (going from 7.0.2 ti 7.0.3.1) and once again the upgrade "lost" a bunch of my apps. What the hell is going on? So I just did a nandroid restore and I'm back to 7.0.2 again.

Do the 7.1 nightlies for the EVO have any major issues (I recall people complaining about MMS earlier)? At this point I'm thinking I may just have to do a titanium backup and a full wipe and hope it lets me restore my apps.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
Every time I updated CM7 from the RCs to final versions I never lost any apps or data. I would do a nandroid backup just in case, flash the zip, and I was good to go. Just out of curiosity, are you using Clockwork or Amon Ra?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

fondue posted:

Yes. I'm staying on Nightly 13 until something better shows up though.

Also Google Goggles doesn't crash the camera forever (or at all) anymore.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Every time I updated CM7 from the RCs to final versions I never lost any apps or data. I would do a nandroid backup just in case, flash the zip, and I was good to go. Just out of curiosity, are you using Clockwork or Amon Ra?

I've tried both. The update appears to work, but then I start to notice that things are missing. Tasker and Weatherbug are immediately apparent, since their notification bar icons are gone. But when I start to use the phone, I find other stuff like Google Talk missing as well. It's pretty bizarre. The last time it happened I tried using Titanium Backup to restore some of the missing apps, and it acts like it's successful, but the apps simply never show up.

FWIW, I started on an early-ish CM7 nightly (I think around 17), did a few more nightly updates after that, hopped on board the 7 stable, then the subsequent "oops we broke this here's a quick fix" updates all the way to 7.0.2. I first encountered this problem trying to go from 7.0.2 to 7.0.2.1. Now 7.0.3.1 is doing the same thing.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

fishmech posted:

Let me directly quote a friend who moved to CM7 official nightlies on his Captivate "holy poo poo this phone does not suck at all now and the gps locks on in under 30 seconds every time".

Seconding this. I installed CM7 on my Captivate at the end of March and haven't looked back.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

I rooted my Droid X last night. There aren't any roms listed in the OP so I went with Liberty as it's the only one I've heard about. Apparently there's also a Gingerbread version?

I then installed Zeam to try it out (I used to use LPP). I have most of the programs in the OP (Titanium, Rom Manager, etc).

My phone seems a lot faster than it was and I really like it.

I guess my question is: What now? Is there anything I should be doing? The only thing I know of is wireless tethering but I have no need of it at the moment. Any other Roms I should look into? What about Liberty GB?

I'm kind of lost.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

brc64 posted:

Last night I tried once again to update to the latest stable CM7 (going from 7.0.2 ti 7.0.3.1) and once again the upgrade "lost" a bunch of my apps. What the hell is going on? So I just did a nandroid restore and I'm back to 7.0.2 again.

Do the 7.1 nightlies for the EVO have any major issues (I recall people complaining about MMS earlier)? At this point I'm thinking I may just have to do a titanium backup and a full wipe and hope it lets me restore my apps.
Not sure why your apps are disappearing but the 7.1 nightlies are pretty stable right now. MMS was fixed a while back and I've been running them for a couple of weeks now without any problems.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

datajosh posted:

Not sure why your apps are disappearing
I'd love to know this, too, because there's no indication of a problem during or after the upgrades until you just realize that "oh, the apps are gone." It's pretty strange.

quote:

but the 7.1 nightlies are pretty stable right now. MMS was fixed a while back and I've been running them for a couple of weeks now without any problems.
I may give this a try with a full wipe. I suspect that a full wipe + titanium restore would work with the 7.0.3.1 upgrade as well, but I haven't gotten around to trying it. If I'm going to go through that much trouble, I may as well try the latest and greatest.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
CM nightly 86 is really getting there on the Nook Color.

Starting with nightly 82, it included the new 2.6.32 kernel for the Nook Color that fixed Deep Sleep. And starting with nightly 86, it has the new boot partition. I'm guessing it helps if you format /boot or don't have the 1.2 uboot installed. The big thing to me is getting a custom boot splash finally.

With CM 7.0.x, powering on the Nook Color looked like this:

1) "Touch the Future of Reading" or "Read Forever" boot splash in jagged letters.
2) Corrupted "Loading" text flashes quickly.
3) "ANDROID" text in landscape with a blinking cursor.
4) ... then the boot animation loads.

With 7.1/Nightly 86+, it is like this now:

1) Decent-looking, colored "cyanogen(mod)" boot splash.
2) The boot animation loads.

CyanogenMod 7.0.x has pretty much been alpha/beta for the Nook Color, even if it was released as "stable". 7.1 will be a real release for it.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

CM nightly 86 is really getting there on the Nook Color.

Starting with nightly 82, it included the new 2.6.32 kernel for the Nook Color that fixed Deep Sleep. And starting with nightly 86, it has the new boot partition. I'm guessing it helps if you format /boot or don't have the 1.2 uboot installed. The big thing to me is getting a custom boot splash finally.

With CM 7.0.x, powering on the Nook Color looked like this:

1) "Touch the Future of Reading" or "Read Forever" boot splash in jagged letters.
2) Corrupted "Loading" text flashes quickly.
3) "ANDROID" text in landscape with a blinking cursor.
4) ... then the boot animation loads.

With 7.1/Nightly 86+, it is like this now:

1) Decent-looking, colored "cyanogen(mod)" boot splash.
2) The boot animation loads.

CyanogenMod 7.0.x has pretty much been alpha/beta for the Nook Color, even if it was released as "stable". 7.1 will be a real release for it.

That rules. Thinking I might wait till 7.1 to switch over as my NC has been running flawlessly lately.

Can't say the same for my Fascinate though. I've been running Community Rom lately and there are just a lot of little things that irritate me. Random short freezes, apps not opening correctly, hell even scrolling through my three home screens isn't smooth anymore. There is no rom for my phone that fits all my needs. Any Fascinate owners tried the Evil Fascination rom?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Big saddness with the virus ROM for the EVO (sense 3.0): wordfeud and netflix don't work. Any suggestions on how to tweak this?

Oh. And gps, but we have our priorities first!

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

fondue posted:

Every reply to this was pretty much an enthusiastic "Yes!" so I tried to update last night ... and my PC won't detect my phone at all.

Which is odd ... if I plug my phone into a wall socket charger it asks me what mode of transfer I want to be in but if I plug into my PC it just charges the phone and doesn't show up at all on the computer. WTF?

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Duckman2008 posted:

Big saddness with the virus ROM for the EVO (sense 3.0): wordfeud and netflix don't work. Any suggestions on how to tweak this?

Oh. And gps, but we have our priorities first!

Are you using the legit version of Netflix or the one hacked not to verify the device? It's possible that the ROM is reporting itself as something other than an EVO 4G.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

fondue posted:

Every reply to this was pretty much an enthusiastic "Yes!" so I tried to update last night ... and my PC won't detect my phone at all.

Which is odd ... if I plug my phone into a wall socket charger it asks me what mode of transfer I want to be in but if I plug into my PC it just charges the phone and doesn't show up at all on the computer. WTF?

Install ROM Manager from the market and do it that way. The free version will work to download the initial install but if you want to install the latest nightlies over wifi you'll need the paid version.

You will need to install Samsung's drivers first if you want the PC to recognize your phone should you need to update and you don't want to fork out 5bux for ROM Manager premium.

Edit: Install instructions

1. Start with a rooted Eclair/Froyo running Eclair/Froyo Bootloaders (do not ask us how to do this).
2. Install ROMManager Premium.
3. Flash ClockworkMod Recovery. Pick Captivate (MTD) (ignore the warning about not having an official, pick ClockworkMod 2.x).
4. Make sure you can reboot into ClockworkMod recovery from ROMManager. Reboot and get back into ROMManager Premium.
5. Choose download ROMs.
6. Pick the CyanogenMod Nightlies.
7. Check the Google Apps addon.
8. Check Backup current ROM!
9. Check wipe data, cache, dalvik cache.
10. Let ROMManager finish the installation.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

nimper posted:

Install ROM Manager from the market and do it that way.
See, this is my problem; I did this but it won't work unless the phone is rooted. Can't root phone because i can't update the kernel to a rooted one or transfer files over necessary to root it.

I spent a couple of hours googling for an answer last night and this morning but have failed so I posted here in hopes that someone would know how to root the phone if you can't access it via USB.

Also, wtf I get to select modes when plugged into a power outlet but not when plugged into my computer.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

CM7N33 for G2x is getting a lot of praise, I'm flashing it in a minute and will report back how it works. 31 was fast, but buggy for me. There have been 3 kernel updates since then, so here's hoping.

(Also, adds the screen off/on finally :3: )

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

fondue posted:

See, this is my problem; I did this but it won't work unless the phone is rooted. Can't root phone because i can't update the kernel to a rooted one or transfer files over necessary to root it.

I spent a couple of hours googling for an answer last night and this morning but have failed so I posted here in hopes that someone would know how to root the phone if you can't access it via USB.

Also, wtf I get to select modes when plugged into a power outlet but not when plugged into my computer.

If you can't plug into the PC and use ADB, you're almost certainly screwed. It's possible to use ADB over IP, so it's probably technically possible to do a root, but depending on your phone and OS version, it might require a poo poo load of work.

z4root is an on-phone root product that claims to work with all Galaxy S variants, so give it a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

fondue posted:

Did you install the Samsung driver for the Captivate? It's on the Samsung website.

Go to Settings > Applications > USB Settings > USB Mode and tell it to go to mass storage mode instead of ask on connect.