Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Would a cat drinking out of a chlorinated swimming pool be harmful? Either on a one-time or regular basis? I saw a gif of a cat doing it and wondered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Skittles
Jul 10, 2008
anyone know what my dog died from. She was peeing blood, or leaking it from somewhere all over the house. We took her to the vet, got pills for a uti. She was better for one day. Then all of a sudden she would only stand, and looked like she was dazed, she wouldn't eat anything. she kept on going upstairs for some reason, and just stand there in a stupor. she was a collie shepard mix. we had her for 15 years, rip sparky

Professor Skittles fucked around with this message at 13:23 on May 23, 2011

Amberlyn
Jan 5, 2010

Chin Strap posted:

Do HEPA air filters work for keeping ambient hair and smell down? If so, does anyone have a model reccomendation? I have hardwood floors so I'm not so worried about a good vacuum, but if I could spend some dough to knock hair levels down a bit I would be happy.

They do a slightly better job of catching the hair and the very fine particulates (dust mites, skin cells etc.) that get stirred up when you vacuum. In my experience, they don't make a drat bit of difference to the smell, which seems to come more from what's gotten caught in the vacuum....in the area of the bag, or bagless canister, in the roller or lodged around the vacuum head.... and then heated up some when the vacuum's running. I've had better results keeping the smell down by keeping the working parts clean.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Amberlyn posted:

They do a slightly better job of catching the hair and the very fine particulates (dust mites, skin cells etc.) that get stirred up when you vacuum. In my experience, they don't make a drat bit of difference to the smell, which seems to come more from what's gotten caught in the vacuum....in the area of the bag, or bagless canister, in the roller or lodged around the vacuum head.... and then heated up some when the vacuum's running. I've had better results keeping the smell down by keeping the working parts clean.

Sorry I mean the plug in free standing air filters, not a vacuum. I use a dustmop to sweep my floors.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Professor Skittles posted:

anyone know what my dog died from. She was peeing blood, or leaking it from somewhere all over the house. We took her to the vet, got pills for a uti. She was better for one day. Then all of a sudden she would only stand, and looked like she was dazed, she wouldn't eat anything. she kept on going upstairs for some reason, and just stand there in a stupor. she was a collie shepard mix. we had her for 15 years, rip sparky

I'm so sorry for your loss, but there's not really any way to know what she died from. If you really wanted to know you would have to have a necropsy done (like an autopsy for dogs), but otherwise there are just too many things it could have been. From your description of her behavior changes and being dazes, I would be suspicious that her brain was involved somehow, but more than that I couldn't pin down.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

That's terrible! My condolences.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I have a cat (Cash) who's rear paws are duck-footed, when he walks his rear end kind of sways back and forth. My other cat's (Izzy) toes point straight ahead and she has no sway in her gait.

He runs around chasing the other cat and climbs the cat tree and everything all that, he doesn't jump as high or seem as confident jumping as Izzy, but he's also a little fat while Izzy is very thin so it could just be a weight thing.

Is this something I should be concerned about?

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
Well if it isn't one problem it's another. My kitten LOVES to pee on blankets and backpacks. She has a litter box, uses it, I clean it all the time so I'm sure it's not that, but she continues to pee on the blankets, especially if they're in my bedroom. I use an enzyme cleaner to get rid of any odor she might be using to mark spots over and over, and she's spayed if that matters.

What should I do here? I've pretty much resorted to closing her out of my room (to preserve my bed), but now she meows constantly to be let in and it's very :smith:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Does anyone know how to make something like a cat chaser toy for dogs? I think a 'flirt pole' is the equivalent, but that sounds less bendy, I guess, than I want. I'm looking to make something from easy-to-get-online supplies, which I can use in my house to crack around like a cat chaser toy, but which will stand up to playing tug if Lola catches it, etc.

I hope someone knows what I'm talking about because I sure don't.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

Revener posted:

Well if it isn't one problem it's another. My kitten LOVES to pee on blankets and backpacks. She has a litter box, uses it, I clean it all the time so I'm sure it's not that, but she continues to pee on the blankets, especially if they're in my bedroom. I use an enzyme cleaner to get rid of any odor she might be using to mark spots over and over, and she's spayed if that matters.

What should I do here? I've pretty much resorted to closing her out of my room (to preserve my bed), but now she meows constantly to be let in and it's very :smith:

Have you taken her to a vet? She could have crystals or a UTI.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet

RheaConfused posted:

Have you taken her to a vet? She could have crystals or a UTI.

Just recently, yes. They gave her a clean bill of health.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Fraction posted:

Does anyone know how to make something like a cat chaser toy for dogs? I think a 'flirt pole' is the equivalent, but that sounds less bendy, I guess, than I want. I'm looking to make something from easy-to-get-online supplies, which I can use in my house to crack around like a cat chaser toy, but which will stand up to playing tug if Lola catches it, etc.

I hope someone knows what I'm talking about because I sure don't.

I think people either A. built their own out of pvc pipe and rope (like rappel rope) or B. use horse lunge whips and tie toys at the end. One of the Supers might have other suggestions though.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Miss Squid posted:

I have a male cat about a year old, Stevie King. We adopted another male cat a few weeks ago, and they get along great. One weird thing though, Stevie keeps trying to make it with Dexter. He'll get up on Dexter's back, bite down on his neck and make strange mewling noises. Stevie was neutered about six months ago, and Dexters neutered too. Stevie also does a little "sexy" dance sometimes, where he kneads his paws, and his butt hovers above the bed and he mewls and walks in cicles. He's tried to hump my arm once or twice while doing this dance.
Why is my cat so horny?

If you fix a cat too late, they still have the hormones, but not the ability. Sully is a humper too. You cat is gay.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I think people either A. built their own out of pvc pipe and rope (like rappel rope) or B. use horse lunge whips and tie toys at the end. One of the Supers might have other suggestions though.

For a flirtpole, I use a nylon rope run through a PVC pipe. Just tie a knot in each end to keep it from slipping back through, and then you can tie whatever lure you want to it. It's more flexible than it sounds and I've never had one break.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Superconsndar posted:

For a flirtpole, I use a nylon rope run through a PVC pipe. Just tie a knot in each end to keep it from slipping back through, and then you can tie whatever lure you want to it. It's more flexible than it sounds and I've never had one break.

Thanks guys :v: PVC pipe seems pretty expensive online for the UK, probably because of weight in postage (I don't really fancy getting it from the expensive DIY shop I know, either), and searches for horse lunge whips brought up this. I'm basically the worst person ever when it comes to DIY stuff, so would I just be able to securely tie a toy to the end and use that?

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Fraction posted:

Thanks guys :v: PVC pipe seems pretty expensive online for the UK, probably because of weight in postage (I don't really fancy getting it from the expensive DIY shop I know, either), and searches for horse lunge whips brought up this. I'm basically the worst person ever when it comes to DIY stuff, so would I just be able to securely tie a toy to the end and use that?

For a dog that size of a JRT, yeah, that should work alright.

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.

I'm sorry to hear about your puppy. My lab Sammy had the same thing with the blood, and we were testing her for a UTI, but after she passed the necropsy revealed cancerous tumors over all her organs. She was only 11, and even years later, I still miss her tremendously. Obviously there are a ton of other possibilities in regards to your dog, but here's one. If you really want to know for sure, you should get a necropsy. :glomp:

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

Revener posted:

Just recently, yes. They gave her a clean bill of health.

Has she been since the inappropriate urination started? Did they do a urinalysis?

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Fraction posted:

PVC pipe is like $0.50 a foot. Do they not have hardware/home improvement stores where you live?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Meow Cadet posted:

PVC pipe is like $0.50 a foot. Do they not have hardware/home improvement stores where you live?

Online it looks pretty expensive from what I could see (for UK stores anyway), pretty sure the majority of the cost came from the weight for packaging. Since I don't have my driving license, I can only get to shops off of my train line, which for hardware are basically chain stores like Homebase and B&Q. I don't think there are any decently priced local shops that do it, but then I've never exactly looked for them, so who knows!

Ordered the whip now though so it's a moot point :)

4iTcHyTAstY
Feb 16, 2007
I recently got soft paws for my 11-12 pound cat and I am not sure if I got the right size. I got the medium size ( website says it fits the average house cat; 9- 13 lbs) and from what I can tell, when the claw is not extended there is a couple millimeters or so gap between the soft paw cap and the cuticle. It is much more noticeable on the dew claw, where it seems like a good 3rd or even 1/2 of the claw is exposed. I am pretty sure I am trimming the claw properly before applying, and since I cannot find a good picture of a just a claw with the cap on, I can't tell wither the gaps are normal or if I need to upgrade to the large.

Is the cap supposed to touch the cuticle or is there supposed to be some kind of gap between them?

Can anyone who has used them shed some light on this?

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money
I'm curious about this: if you have a HUGE dog, like a newfoundland, do you need extra-size dog poop bags? Like, for all of the massive poops I presume such breeds make. Like big horse poops or something.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

4iTcHyTAstY posted:

Is the cap supposed to touch the cuticle or is there supposed to be some kind of gap between them?
I'm not sure what they're "supposed to" be like, but in my experience they stay on longer if you get them close to the cuticle, so I feel like the bigger sizes work better for most cats. I think ideally, the soft paws should come up very close to that little skin fold/cuticle when the nail the retracted (but no bigger that that; you don't want to try to force that fold over a huge plastic cap). I'd try large next time and see what you think.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet

RheaConfused posted:

Has she been since the inappropriate urination started? Did they do a urinalysis?

Yes and yes.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

Revener posted:

Yes and yes.
Are you using an enzymatic cleaner, like Nature's Miracle? How many litter boxes do you have? How often do you clean them? If everything at the vet was clear did they recommend anything else (Feliway perhaps)?

RheaConfused fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 24, 2011

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
Hey guys, quick question.

My girlfriend and I have two young cats (about 6 months old). We used to let them sleep in the room with us but they would be wrestling around and keeping us up all night.

We started shutting our door and letting them stay in the living room while we slept which was working well up until a few nights ago. Charlie (female) has been sitting outside of our door and meowing all night as well as scratching at the door and trying to get inside. If we let her in she wants to play, but if we keep her out she doesn't stop with the meowing / scratching.

Our other car Ibn (also female) doesn't really seem to be bothered by being in the living room all night.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, just for info, there have been no drastic changes to anything (schedules, diet etc.)

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet

RheaConfused posted:

Are you using an enzymatic cleaner, like Nature's Miracle? How many litter boxes do you have? How often do you clean them? If everything at the vet was clear did they recommend anything else (Feliway perhaps)?

Yeah, I'm using a brand called "Dumb Cat", which apparently I can get back the full purchase price for it's not working (which could be the case, but she also goes on blankets she hasn't been on before.) I just have the one litterbox but this is a tiny apartment, probably less than 20' to a side. The vet didn't recommend any products other than the enzymatic cleaner for when she (the kitty, not the vet) does pee on blankets.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Dush posted:

I'm curious about this: if you have a HUGE dog, like a newfoundland, do you need extra-size dog poop bags? Like, for all of the massive poops I presume such breeds make. Like big horse poops or something.

My dad's got an English Mastiff and a Great Dane (and two slightly smaller dogs). Their shits are roughly human sized. My step-mom scoops the poop with grocery bags. It definitely ends up being a LOT of poop. They also have to repaint their kitchen every other year because of all the slobber that gets slung on the walls.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Ckwiesr posted:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, just for info, there have been no drastic changes to anything (schedules, diet etc.)

Someone in PI recommended butting a vacuum cleaner against the bedroom side of the door. Turn it on, unplug it and when she meows plug it in for a few seconds. Do it until she stops clawing at the door.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

Revener posted:

Yeah, I'm using a brand called "Dumb Cat", which apparently I can get back the full purchase price for it's not working (which could be the case, but she also goes on blankets she hasn't been on before.) I just have the one litterbox but this is a tiny apartment, probably less than 20' to a side. The vet didn't recommend any products other than the enzymatic cleaner for when she (the kitty, not the vet) does pee on blankets.

How often do you clean it? One of mine will pee outside the box if there is ANYTHING in it. Also, you might try a new kind of box... is yours covered? uncovered? Adding another box is standard advice here too, even if the apt is small, it's better than her peeing on the bed. Where is it? Sometimes they are in a place that is scaring the kitty and you don't realize, like near a washing machine or dishwasher.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

MoCookies posted:

They also have to repaint their kitchen every other year because of all the slobber that gets slung on the walls.

Eeewwwwww that is exactly the reason I will never own one of the giant slobbery breeds.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
Hmmm the vacuum thing would be perfect if my downstairs neighbors bedroom wasn't directly below ours and if this wasn't happening between midnight and 7 am.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

2508084 posted:

If you fix a cat too late, they still have the hormones, but not the ability. Sully is a humper too. You cat is gay.

Oh god do they have the hormones. My gray cat was neutered at three years old, when my husband and I adopted him from a friend who couldn't take care of him. He's still got the tom cat hormones and then some.

This cat tries to hump every female foster cat we've had in the house. He also digs my dirty underwear out of the laundry basket, and drags it around the house rubbing himself on it. I try to keep the laundry inaccessible, but every now and then he gets to it anyway, and then I find a pair of my underwear in the living room with cat slobber on it. :barf:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Ckwiesr posted:

Hmmm the vacuum thing would be perfect if my downstairs neighbors bedroom wasn't directly below ours and if this wasn't happening between midnight and 7 am.

Look into getting a scat mat and putting it outside the door maybe?

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Alright, my puppy is suddenly scared of the floor in one room. I left one morning for school and she was in her crate, and when I came back and let her out, she was scared shitless (literally, the first time) of the floor. What the gently caress is wrong with my dog?

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Alright, my puppy is suddenly scared of the floor in one room. I left one morning for school and she was in her crate, and when I came back and let her out, she was scared shitless (literally, the first time) of the floor. What the gently caress is wrong with my dog?

Puppies go through weird phases sometimes. It's hard to say what's bugging your pup, though. She could have slipped, seen a weird shadow or a reflection, or just heard a loud/scary noise (and associated it with that spot). She'll very likely get over it quickly if you just keep acting like there's nothing to worry about in that room.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

MoCookies posted:

Puppies go through weird phases sometimes. It's hard to say what's bugging your pup, though. She could have slipped, seen a weird shadow or a reflection, or just heard a loud/scary noise (and associated it with that spot). She'll very likely get over it quickly if you just keep acting like there's nothing to worry about in that room.

Hopefully. I know she didn't slip, because she was in her crate. Maybe a noise? It's quite inconvenient, as she's trained to scratch at the door when she wants out, but the door is in that room, and now she's taken to just eliminating at the threshold of the room instead of letting us know she wants out.

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.
Except for cats.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Hopefully. I know she didn't slip, because she was in her crate. Maybe a noise? It's quite inconvenient, as she's trained to scratch at the door when she wants out, but the door is in that room, and now she's taken to just eliminating at the threshold of the room instead of letting us know she wants out.

Is it a tile/linoleum floor? If so how long are her nails? Sometimes having long nails will cause a dog to slip and slide on the floor as they lose traction.

Try trimming her nails, or run a rug/towels from the threshold to the doorway. Then you can slowly inch the runway away from the door over a couple of days or weeks and have her gradually start walking on that floor again.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Cassiope posted:

Is it a tile/linoleum floor? If so how long are her nails? Sometimes having long nails will cause a dog to slip and slide on the floor as they lose traction.

Try trimming her nails, or run a rug/towels from the threshold to the doorway. Then you can slowly inch the runway away from the door over a couple of days or weeks and have her gradually start walking on that floor again.

It's laminate, and we have carpets down, but it doesn't seem to be helping. I'll try the nail trimming thing, they could probably use it anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003
THINKS HE IS BEST AT DOGS (is actually worst at dogs!!!)
Get down on the floor with your puppy next to the floor and slowly work your way onto it on all floors. Sniff it, act stupid and be brave for the sake of the puppy. Praise if he comes with you. Repeat as necessary.