Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Gnaghi posted:

That is pretty skillful. Wonder how he shifted? The closest thing I've ever seen like that was an out of focus pic a friend showed me of a guy leaving White Castle with a bag and drink. He followed him and told me was constantly shedding fries and dropped his soda when he went to make a turn.

I have yet to try my idea of wedging a burger in my helmet and holding it in place by closing the visor on it, though.

Clutchless shifters represent :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Gnaghi posted:

I have yet to try my idea of wedging a burger in my helmet and holding it in place by closing the visor on it, though.

Clamp the outer half with the visor and the inner half with your mouth. It's an interesting game. You drool down your jacket, but if you're tempted to take a bite it cantilevers off the chinbar and spills down yourself.

When taking this:

I had to clutch with my pinkie and ringfinger without the benefit of my thumb, leveraging with the other hand. Short story shorter, that picture could have been of me falling over. Also don't diss the blurriness of the moving object too much, I didn't give my 15 year old brother much instruction and he had places to go.

Passed a guy on a Harley the other day who held a shopping bag with his right hand which didn't hold the handlebar. He lifted his entire bag to wave. Made my day.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Odette posted:

I'm curious. What does 'backpanther' refer to?

This.

As far as I can recall, the dude was hauling rear end through town wearing basically no gear(shorts and flipflops I think) and obviously got in an accident. He was pretty much a god drat retard in general and I believe his username was a name change after some retarded rear end tattoo he got.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Slim Pickens posted:

This.

As far as I can recall, the dude was hauling rear end through town wearing basically no gear(shorts and flipflops I think) and obviously got in an accident. He was pretty much a god drat retard in general and I believe his username was a name change after some retarded rear end tattoo he got.

Ouch. Basically just another dumb squid then.

:(

Carbonate
Aug 3, 2005
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Gnaghi posted:

That is pretty skillful. Wonder how he shifted? The closest thing I've ever seen like that was an out of focus pic a friend showed me of a guy leaving White Castle with a bag and drink. He followed him and told me was constantly shedding fries and dropped his soda when he went to make a turn.

Maybe he used his elbow? I was nearly dying with laughter at the sight of it though haha

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Fuelly bandwagon
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/blugu64

I need to keep track of this stuff. I think I've been getting low/mid 30s on the Nighthawk...I think I've been having a bit too much fun.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 23, 2011

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Slim Pickens posted:

This.

Holy poo poo his arm is gone.

On a somewhat related note, I was driving to the mall in San Jose with the gf when we got rear ended at the stop light on a freeway exit. Some rear end hole in an explorer was probably doing 45-50mph and didnt see/wasnt paying attention to the light. He plowed into a Lexus SUV behind us, who then rear ended us. The entire rear of the lexus SUV was compressed about 3 feet. As we were pulled over waiting for the police to arrive, a guy on a supermotard type bike went around the accident and my first thought was that if that guy had been where that Lexus was, he would be dead.

cheese fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 23, 2011

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Wasn't the story that he crashed one bike after another and the big one was his fourth? And he got a settlement of 900k and now pays women to piss on him? I swear that's what I remember reading.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Gnaghi posted:

Wasn't the story that he crashed one bike after another and the big one was his fourth? And he got a settlement of 900k and now pays women to piss on him? I swear that's what I remember reading.
Dunno about the last part but yes, he wadded bike after bike until this finally happened. I'm pretty sure he got permad finally for talking poo poo in watch and weight.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just looked up his post history, he was actually called 'abunchofnumbers'. Here's his crash. Notice the flip flop chilling in the road in the second pic.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3091384&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post359250850

Here's what got him perma-probated for all eternity. Not a very bright guy.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3117954&pagenumber=30&perpage=40#post365060170

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
It could have been much worse. Consider that there are people like that driving cars. By sticking to bikes, he was actually showing an uncommon degree of consideration and self-awareness.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Saga posted:

It could have been much worse. Consider that there are people like that driving cars. By sticking to bikes, he was actually showing an uncommon degree of consideration and self-awareness.

It IS worse because you haven't seen the back yet. A proud, stout bush cat with acromegaly. :(

Back (heh) story:

Abunchofnumbers posted:

Left turn in front of me. I was going 35-50 in a 45 zone. Wouldnt have been so bad but I got flung into 2 poles.flung into 2 poles. (riding in sandles)

quote:

Actually the full story of backpanther is even better
He asked the SA car/motorcycle forum for advice on a bike. Everyone told him to get a low-powered newbie model. He ignored everyone and got a bike way too advanced for him, then proceeded to crash it three times. After each time everyone gave him advice on a better bike to get, all of which he ignored while getting an even bigger bike before finally crashing it while high and losing his arm.
Then he got almost a million dollars in the insurance settlement, and posted a thread in the SA business and finances forum asking for advice on what to do with a million dollars. After getting a lot of good advice about mutual funds and other good ways to make money off a significant lump sum, he ignored all of it in favor of buying a shitload of San Diego real estate. And a lamborghini.

A manual transmission lamborghini.

The legend of backpanther continues.

All is well that ends well though, since he only lost his left arm instead of his right so can still kinda drive that manual lambo!

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Okay, here's my Fuelly: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/spannerx/klr-650

Yeah, haven't filled the KLR yet, been driving the Vespa, which is not at a friend place. The weather around here has been so lovely, on a nice day, I mow the lawn and get poo poo down outside. On crap days, the Vespa with the leg shield seems to be a better choice.

Edit: Everyone has been added as friends. If I get out today for a run on the Vespa, I might even get a fuel up done!

SpannerX fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 23, 2011

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

KARMA! posted:

It IS worse because you haven't seen the back yet. A proud, stout bush cat with acromegaly. :(

Back (heh) story:

All is well that ends well though, since he only lost his left arm instead of his right so can still kinda drive that manual lambo!

He definitely sounds like a squid, but the last accident doesn't really sound like his fault (unless there is more that I'm missing). Maybe his injuries would be less if he was going slower (I don't know, but he mentioned bouncing off a couple of poles), but I doubt a jacket would have prevented whatever injuries caused him to lose an arm.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Nah, but learning how to ride might have.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Good god I'm going to be in a cringe all day today after reading all of that + seeing that picture.

I remember the flip-flop pic and all of that poo poo from earlier in the Crash thread, but never really understood the full extent of his stupidity.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Uthor posted:

He definitely sounds like a squid, but the last accident doesn't really sound like his fault (unless there is more that I'm missing). Maybe his injuries would be less if he was going slower (I don't know, but he mentioned bouncing off a couple of poles), but I doubt a jacket would have prevented whatever injuries caused him to lose an arm.

The thing about this is that when it comes to riding, the rider is always at fault if you don't want to end up like abunchofnumbers. When you're the one with at risk of injury, death, or losing a limb from even a minor accident, the mentality needs to shift from righteous indignation at the faults of other drivers to compensating for their idiocy regardless of what it requires. People who don't learn this lesson end up getting in a lot of accidents because they'd rather be right than safe. They also have a tendency to never learn from their mistakes because they believe they didn't do anything wrong.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Uthor posted:

the last accident doesn't really sound like his fault

It's always the rider's fault. I always berate myself when I have to react to a driver; I should have seen them and been proactive about not being in close vicinity.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
It's almost always the riders fault. Sometimes there are freak accidents.

I can recall at least one locally; A guy on a scooter was (safely) negotiating a filter in one of the upper parishes of the island when he got smashed into a barrier by a car doing 100+mph (the speed limit here is 35mph). The driver had suffered an epileptic fit, mashing the accelerator into the floor in an automatic car, the passenger reacted by trying to keep the car straight, which is understandable, but in the end everyone would have survived if they had just steered into a wall straight away. The guy was recently married and expecting a son IIRC :(

Sometimes it really is 'wrong place, wrong time', but not very often.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

ReelBigLizard posted:

It's almost always the riders fault. Sometimes there are freak accidents.

I can recall at least one locally; A guy on a scooter was (safely) negotiating a filter in one of the upper parishes of the island when he got smashed into a barrier by a car doing 100+mph (the speed limit here is 35mph). The driver had suffered an epileptic fit, mashing the accelerator into the floor in an automatic car, the passenger reacted by trying to keep the car straight, which is understandable, but in the end everyone would have survived if they had just steered into a wall straight away. The guy was recently married and expecting a son IIRC :(

You see this in stupid TV shows all the time. Brakes not working and accelerator stuck! Let's just steer the car at high speed through obstacles!

Or, you could just reach over and turn the loving ignition off.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Backov posted:

Unless it's one of these new fangled cars that won't shut off if the car is in motion. Especially if it is one of the push button start cars. (You might have to hold it down for like 5 seconds.)

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Well sure, you could get hit by a meteor or something, but the more situations you can learn how to avoid (regardless of "fault"), the longer you're likely to live.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Backov posted:

You see this in stupid TV shows all the time. Brakes not working and accelerator stuck! Let's just steer the car at high speed through obstacles!

Or flick it to neutral and let the engine burn up as well. Better a new engine then a death.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Z3n posted:

When you're the one with at risk of injury, death, or losing a limb from even a minor accident, the mentality needs to shift from righteous indignation at the faults of other drivers to compensating for their idiocy regardless of what it requires. People who don't learn this lesson end up getting in a lot of accidents because they'd rather be right than safe. They also have a tendency to never learn from their mistakes because they believe they didn't do anything wrong.

This is the absolute truth. You have the right of way and someone else wants to take it? Fine, let him have it. You think someone is going to run the intersection? Slow down, don't speed up and think they'll stop for you.

In the event of a collision between you and any other vehicle, you will always lose.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Raven457 posted:

This is the absolute truth. You have the right of way and someone else wants to take it? Fine, let him have it. You think someone is going to run the intersection? Slow down, don't speed up and think they'll stop for you.

In the event of a collision between you and any other vehicle, you will always lose.

Plus you can wear some poo poo that helps keep you from raising my insurance premiums and living out your shitheel darwin-award life on the suffrance of the society that has to support it. Even if a million bucks is a drop in the bucket to the rest of us, it's a pain in the rear end that this kind of jackassery is where wasted resources go.

If that happened in Norway....

it'd be colder

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I have a coworker who's been interested in bikes, and it's been fun guiding him through the process of taking the MSF course, telling him the importance of gear and full face helmets, and now helping him find a Ninja 250 to start on. It's funny to see the two-wheel-hook slowly catch in him and I'm sure he'll soon be as obsessed as the rest of us.

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

Joined the Fuelly bandwagon.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/aduck/s2r-1000

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

:bandwagon:
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/deeters
Maybe if it stops raining I'll be able to go fill up and start using this.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Deeters posted:

:bandwagon:
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/deeters
Maybe if it stops raining I'll be able to go fill up and start using this.

You must live pretty near me. 30+ days of rain out of the last 45.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I'm in Connecticut and I wouldn't be surprised if we've had close to that many rainy days. And the few nice days that I could've ridden last week, I had stuff to do that I couldn't with the bike.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

KARMA! posted:

I don't think this is right, I'm pretty sure he got an auto 'vette.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Raven457 posted:

This is the absolute truth. You have the right of way and someone else wants to take it? Fine, let him have it.

How's the phrase go? I'd rather be wronged and alive than right and dead?

E: Ugh, that's it, I need a stinkin' refresher course. Had a parking lot drop last week, and one this evening, just from having too much angle on the bars and grabbing the brake at walking speed. Bags and crashbars ate the drops, but it's still fuckin' embarrasing.

Phy fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 24, 2011

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Phy posted:

E: Ugh, that's it, I need a stinkin' refresher course. Had a parking lot drop last week, and one this evening, just from having too much angle on the bars and grabbing the brake at walking speed. Bags and crashbars ate the drops, but it's still fuckin' embarrasing.

Where I used to live the MSF school used a distant back lot at the local mall for their training course, with all the exercise courses painted. Frequently when I was out that way I'd stop and spend 20 minutes going through the exercises. It was nice. I miss that.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Where I used to live the MSF school used a distant back lot at the local mall for their training course, with all the exercise courses painted. Frequently when I was out that way I'd stop and spend 20 minutes going through the exercises. It was nice. I miss that.

We did that on the KTMs when I was up in seattle! Bonus for it being wet:

Very important to keep one wheel in reserve at all times.
Full set:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zach_stone/sets/72157626552956099/

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Z3n posted:

We did that on the KTMs when I was up in seattle! Bonus for it being wet:

Very important to keep one wheel in reserve at all times.
Full set:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zach_stone/sets/72157626552956099/

Dude that was my turf. When were you in Bellingham??

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

lol bummer.

End of April he was up here for a week.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Phy posted:

Law of the lugnuts, whoever has the most, wins.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Less than 1mm pad material on the front brakes is plenty and rotors work better when they're severely scored, right? :v:

I figured that if I was going to replace pretty much everything I might as well upgrade a bit in the process. €750 later and a package containing EBC rotors and sintered pads plus a set of HEL braided brake hoses is on its way to my front door. It's gonna be a night and day difference from the stock Bandit parts.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Less than 1mm pad material on the front brakes is plenty and rotors work better when they're severely scored, right? :v:

I figured that if I was going to replace pretty much everything I might as well upgrade a bit in the process. €750 later and a package containing EBC rotors and sintered pads plus a set of HEL braided brake hoses is on its way to my front door. It's gonna be a night and day difference from the stock Bandit parts.

Danish prices holy poo poo. I hope you guys get paid accordingly.

pssst - start charging Blaster of Justice €10 a post to use your account. You could MAYBE make your money back before the ban. OK, maybe €100 per post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Why does everyone always chime in with the "oh hey you were right by me" after I visit? :v: At least I managed to meet Slim Pickins this time around. I'll post up a thread before the next WA trip.