Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Pity vote for B.

Also I hate fractions in my votes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Voting ComGaurds because it is time to see how even with pimped out Star League gear, the players are still getting out gunned by the Clans. Plus REDACTED

KnoxZone posted:

Looking at that map... yikes. The Clans are really blowing through the Commonwealth and Combine. That is going to take a few dozen headshots from a Gauss Rifle to slow down. :v:
Star Captain Garth Raddick to the front lines, please :v:

PoptartsNinja posted:

You guys just want to murder Canon characters.

And why not? We have actually home grown badasses waiting in the wings to take over. Lieutenant Kearney Barnes, the Navajo Wolf, and Leutnant Samantha Clover are better examples of mechwarriors than most official characters.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
I think the Navajo Wolf actually is a canon character. Also, one I regret not having gotten to introduce my PCs to in my aborted MegaMek campaign.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

landcollector posted:

Well, the game really has worn out its usefulness anyway. Basically, to hype up their scariness on a battlefield, we called them <REDACTED> (with Spoiler Bar) to keep new players and thread viewers guessing. Like I said though, I suppose it got old a long time ago.

Huh, I hadn't gotten that. That's what happens when you show up late for the party...you miss all the good jokes.

But since it might actually come up, and soon, I've REDACTED the relevant posts. If you want to know what the fuss is all about and weren't on before 2am this morning?

Too bad, you missed it. :tipshat:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Anopther pity vote for B, because the DEST are cool.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Tarquinn posted:

Anopther pity vote for B, because the DEST are cool.

You realize that we'd be the ones shooting at the DEST guys, right?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Another pity vote for C, it sounds like it could be a very interesting mission and gently caress comguards.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

jng2058 posted:

You realize that we'd be the ones shooting at the DEST guys, right?

That doesn't affect the general DEST coolness. :colbert:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
It's about time we saw the ComGuard in action.
But I'm still going to vote C, if only because I'm curious to see what the twist would be.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

landcollector posted:

Well, the game really has worn out its usefulness anyway. Basically, to hype up their scariness on a battlefield, we called them <REDACTED> (with Spoiler Bar) to keep new players and thread viewers guessing. Like I said though, I suppose it got old a long time ago.

What is a meme but a joke that some people find impossible to let go?

Terror storm
Oct 23, 2010

Your head is worth nothing,
and that's a good thing.
If votes are still going Comguards.

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

I vote A, ComGuards.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Fire the canon. A!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

A for the gauss rifle glory.

Glory, also comguard should deploy its <Redacted>

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I think the Navajo Wolf actually is a canon character.

Yeah. Bobby Begay is a canon character in the Caballero novels.

Also, voting AT&T with guns. And Helm is gonna be a fun clusterfuck. Red Corsair pirates (ROM) vs Red Corsair pirates (Team Banzai) vs local FWL forces.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cant wait to never see a <Redacted> ever again.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

What is a meme but a joke that some people find impossible to let go?

Is that directed towards me?

v v v My mistake, then.

landcollector fucked around with this message at 13:52 on May 24, 2011

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

landcollector posted:

Is that directed towards me?

It's not directed towards anyone, really. Hell, I've typed <REDACTED> a few times m'self, it's not like I have stones to throw here.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I wish we had someone named Watson around here..

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

C, since it sounds like we'd be leading the militia against some Bad Dudes somehow.

Either that or it'd be an awesome series of parade-related piloting tests! Mission objective - bow to guests without falling on them by accident.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I think it's high time that Space AT&T got all up in this bitch.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Dolash posted:

C, since it sounds like we'd be leading the militia against some Bad Dudes somehow.

Either that or it'd be an awesome series of parade-related piloting tests! Mission objective - bow to guests without falling on them by accident.

you fool, no one passes a psr, it is the bane of all.

also, comguard players, use your gauss rifles to headcap any ACE clanners.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

“What do you suggest?” Tiepolo asked quietly.

“A discrete force. A Level III—”

“—is hardly discrete,” Mori pointed out.

PTN, not to be too tardy and pedantic, but I think you mean 'discreet' here. Unless there was a concern about sending fractions of a mech or a box of mismatched parts or something.

Also, the vote is too late and wasted, but I'd love to see scenario C.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Comguards. Gauss rifles for everyone! :hellyeah:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
A: 43
B: 1.5
C: 8

I think this one is over. May the valor of Blake lead you to great victory.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

A Level III is 36 mechs or mech equivlents for those who don't know btech lore, about a regiment? its equal to 3 companies, a company is 3 lances, a lance is 4 mechs. a level IV is an army, a level V is oh god thats a lot of comguard, and a level VI is THE COMGUARDS.

Each level is 6 times the previous, a level I is a single unit. so a theoretical level VII would be the comguards, all the great houses and most of the periphery.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

AtomikKrab posted:

A Level III is 36 mechs or mech equivlents for those who don't know btech lore, about a regiment? its equal to 3 companies, a company is 3 lances, a lance is 4 mechs. a level IV is an army, a level V is oh god thats a lot of comguard, and a level VI is THE COMGUARDS.

Each level is 6 times the previous, a level I is a single unit. so a theoretical level VII would be the comguards, all the great houses and most of the periphery.

Thirty six 'mechs is a battalion.

Four 'mechs to a lance, 3 lances to a company, 3 companies to a battalion, 3 battalions to a regiment, and that's usually where Inner Sphere organization stops, at regimental level, though the ComGuards go to divisions and armies.

Mind you, your usual IS battalion often has three companies and a battalion command lance, making it 40 'mechs. And you usually get a regimental command lance, and occasionally regimental command companies, so a full strength regiment would be somewhere from 124 to 132 'mechs, rather than the 108 you might expect.

That's because due to the feudal nature of things, to be a 'mech commander, you're supposed to be a Mechwarrior yourself, and thus be able to go out into the field and fight if required.

Mind you, replacements being as difficult to get as they are, very few regiments are actually at full strength, so this represents the ideal, not the reality on the ground.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 24, 2011

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

AtomikKrab posted:

A Level III is 36 Level Is, as it were. That'd be a battalion outside the ComGuard. A Level IV is a Division and contains 6 Level IIIs. It's a Level V that's an Army (each theoretically containing 6 Level IV [Divisions]), of which there are 12 canonically.

The Com Guard is interesting in that it practices combined arms doctrine at Level III, and sometimes at Level II, so you might have (for instance) a Demon tank as fire support, alongside a platoon of infantry loaded into a Maxim, together with three poorly optimized SLDF vintage Mechs.

My apologies to all of you who knew this already.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
"Thank for choosing Comstar for all your communication needs. A squad of mechwarriors are scheduled to conquer your world and kill your scientists between 8:00am and 12 noon standard galactic time."

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Trast posted:

"Thank for choosing Comstar for all your communication needs. A squad of mechwarriors are scheduled to conquer your world and kill your scientists between 8:00am and 12 noon standard galactic time."

"Goddammit, what's going on? We've been waiting around all day! My lab should have been aflame hours ago!"

"We're sorry sir, we don't seem to have any record of your appointment. Would you care to reschedule?"

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Comguard, third times the charm right? (I think I've voted for them three times by now...) :colbert:

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Pimpmust posted:

Comguard, third times the charm right? (I think I've voted for them three times by now...) :colbert:

Ditto. =/

But again, Comguard

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

ComGuard.

They have the skills. They have the technology. They respect your genetic superiority.

Now get the gently caress off of our planets.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Rivensteel posted:

PTN, not to be too tardy and pedantic, but I think you mean 'discreet' here. Unless there was a concern about sending fractions of a mech or a box of mismatched parts or something.

I don't mind the pointing out of typos. I don't make many, and most of the ones I do make happen because I write lines on my lunch break and I'm not paying enough attention.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Let's Talk about : Unit Organization

Way back in the day, when the PPC ruled the battlefield and heat sinks only came in one flavor, so did unit organization. Today, things are a little more complicated.

The classical organization is used by most IS forces (both House and mercenary) and traces back to the Star League's method of structuring things. Unit types are almost never mixed due to differences in logistics and mobility.

A lance is a grouping of four units that act together in combat - typically either mechs or tanks. This, on the board, is the typical unit size for a good fight. Infantry count a squad of 7 men as a 'unit', creating 28-man platoons as their lance structure; and aerospace elements function with 2 aircraft to a lance. Other than that, they obey normal conventions.
Next is a company. Three lances or 12 combat units in here. You'll rarely see something larger than this involved in a single fight because the logistics in tracking so many units on a board gets very messy.
Then, the battalion. Three companies; 9 lances; 36 combat units. In fiction, 'battalion' usually translates to 'enough that nobody will track exact numbers'.
And the regiment, which is three battalions; 9 companies; 27 lances; 108 combat units. Regiments will usually have a command lance or command company, though those are frequently uninvolved in actual combat. Regiments usually have other lesser regiments attached to them - a mech regiment will usually have 1-3 regiments of vehicles, 2-5 infantry regiments and 1-2 aerospace regiments attached to it, at least in terms of logistics.
Larger formations are rarely used in practice, as the amount of firepower involved is spread out over several worlds and they rarely count as a single coherent unit. During the Star League days they used a bigger structure size, labelled as armies - the League fielded 20 such units, each in size between 3 and 12 mech regiments plus support. However, the SLDF had an estimated 15,000 regiments to work with, and operated on a completely different scale than the IS we know.

You would occasionally find exceptions to those rules - 'reinforced' lances and companies which pack 50% greater numbers are the most common, but those are usually the result of battle losses lumping units together in a hodge-podge and are temporary in nature. There's also House-specific quirks like the Capellan Augmented Lance.

The Clans use a different structure, basing themselves off of the number five instead of four. They draw from stellar imagery for this purpose.
A point is a single combat unit - one mech, two tanks/fighters, five protomechs/<REDACTED>, 25 infantry. By Clan doctrine, this is what they consider the smallest combat-capable force size.
The next step up is the star, which is made up of five points. So five mechs, ten tanks/fighters, 25 protomechs/<REDACTED> or 125 infantry. The alternate form of this is the nova, which is actually two stars of differing unit types (usually mechs/<REDACTED>) that overlap and are designed to work together.
The company-level tier of Clan organization comes in two forms - the binary (two stars) and the trinary (three stars). Novas are upgraded into supernovas in a similar manner. This is the largest on-board unit size you'll see for Clan operations - 10 or 15 mechs, 20 or 30 tanks/fighters, 50-75 protos/<REDACTED>, or 250-375 infantry. That should tell you a lot about what the Clans think of the infantryman.
The next step (and the last to bear any real weight in reality) is the cluster, which varies wildly. The closest you'll get to standard is two mech trinaries, a binary each of <REDACTED> and aerospace and one 'other' trinary that is frequently a supernova. This is the Clan equivalent to a regiment - you can see the difference in scale between the IS and the Clans. The IS considers a solid military force to be 100+ mechs, supported by ~50 aerospace fighters, 200+ tanks and 2000 infantrymen to be standard. The Clans take that on with around 45 mechs, 20 fighters and 125 <REDACTED>. The Clans have larger organization sizes (like the galaxy), but these are too large and too spread out to count as a practical unit.

ComStar is an entirely different beast. They have their own way of doing things, based on the number six. The ComGuard is interesting in that they are truly a combined-arms force, freely mixing and matching on all levels.
A Level I is like a Clan point - 1 mech, tank or fighter, or a single infantry platoon (28 men).
A Level II is six times that - 6 mechs/tanks/fighters, or 168 infantrymen. The rough ComStar equivalent to a lance or star.
The Level III is, again, six times that - 36 mechanized units or 1008 infantry. This is pretty close to an IS battalion, and is usually used in the same way.
Once you hit Level IV, that's an IS division (2-6 regiments). Again, six times the previous so 216 units (or 6048 infantry).
The bigger units - the Level V and VI - exist more as theoretical structures than practical ones. Particularly since the Level VI is literally defined as 'all of the ComGuards'.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
And this is why the Battle of Tukayyid is so awesome. 25 Galaxies vs 12 Level V armies. Maximum carnage on an apocalyptic scale.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That's a really loving pathetic amount of infantry.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Actually, the ComStar infantry numbers are wrong.

ComStar uses 6 infantry squads, 6 squads to a platoon, which means they have 36-man platoons (split into 2 18 man sub-platoons in typical gameplay).

An infantry lance uses 4 platoons of 4 squads of 7 men each, typically.

Interestingly enough, because heavy weapons are assigned per-platoon, it means that ComStar/WoB tend to have noticeably more firepower than IS infantry because they get 2 heavy weapons per six men rather than 2 per seven.

The Clans get 2 per five, but their conventional infantry are really bad.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
/\ Depends whether you believe the infantry creation rulebooks or Field Manual: ComStar, which has it at 28 man platoons. I prefer the fluff, because absent the creation of ComStar-sized APCs, changing organization for numerical fetishism doesn't make any sense.

goatface posted:

That's a really loving pathetic amount of infantry.

What is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Operating on a 36:1 Infantry:Mech ratio. They should be able to throw around troops by the tens of thousands without thinking about it.

• Locked thread