Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sunshine89 posted:

Forgive me if it has been explained before, but how did Luke Skywalker get to be a great Jedi with 3-4 months of training (sure, it was one-on-one with Yoda, the Grand Master, but still), followed by a year of independent study?

From what I understood from the movies, training in the Order started at a very young age, and took quite a while. Take Anakin, for example. He was inducted into the order at age 9, already thought to be too old, and was a Padawan for 10 years, skipping the Youngling stage altogether, then graduated from Knight to Master in 3. This is already a fast schedule, but Luke really takes the cake on this.

Is it just a case of Luke being Jorge's own Gary Stu self-insert character, or is there 300 pages of Wookieepedia and EU backstory, along with a 19 part multi-author series explaining it?

fake edit: Chrome spellcheck recognizes Jedi as a valid word, while Skywalker doesn't get the same treatment

Luke just got the equivalent of a Jedi GED.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson

Mister Roboto posted:

Well, you'd think Yoda would warn Luke about the telekinetic lightning magic that he had to run from last time.

Yes, the real reason was Lucas hadn't thought it up yet.

Well, Yoda did warn Luke. "Do not underestimate the powers of the Emperor," and all that. So it's not like Luke was in the dude's presence totally ignorant about what he could do.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Vader gettin funky?

You'd think his prosthetic limbs would limit those...we'll go ahead and call them "dance moves"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Guys, Luke didn't actually fight the Emperor. He was all "No, I wont fight you I'm a Jedi now like my dad :smug:", he probably thought throwing down with this old guy would amount to a philosophical debate when throwing away his lightsaber.

And then Palpatine :science:'d him. If Luke had kept his lightsaber, he could have totally blocked that Force Lightning with Force Block.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

It was a philosophical debate. He won.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

Grendels Dad posted:

Guys, Luke didn't actually fight the Emperor. He was all "No, I wont fight you I'm a Jedi now like my dad :smug:", he probably thought throwing down with this old guy would amount to a philosophical debate when throwing away his lightsaber.

And then Palpatine :science:'d him. If Luke had kept his lightsaber, he could have totally blocked that Force Lightning with Force Block.

I'm not seeing any trademarks on those Force MovesTM

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
And the patented Sith trick, Force False Moral Dilemma(tm)

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
This recent discussion made me think of this video.

Just replace 'Gun' with 'Lightsaber' or 'Force', 'America' with 'PT' and 'Japan' with 'OT'.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Mister Roboto posted:

Fun fact for you, I saw on TV the other day a documentary about the evolution of the pistol and towards the end they showed a prototype of a Russian Combat Knife with six barrels for pistol ammunition surrounding the bottom of the blade inside the hilt. I thought of this thread and said image at once.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Doc Hawkins posted:

It was a philosophical debate. He won.

He probably figured he was just killing time anyway. If the rebel attack succeeds, he dies in the explosion. If it fails, he gets killed by Vader or Palpatine or the guards or the stormtroopers or somebody. As far as Luke was concerned, his effort failed when Vader rejected the "come back to the good" offer on Endor.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Mister Roboto posted:

I like to pull this old MS Paint of mine out when the thread talks about different kinds of lightsabers.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Does anyone else think Harold Camping looks like Grand Moff Tarkin out of uniform?

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Does anyone else think Harold Camping looks like Grand Moff Tarkin out of uniform?

A decidedly more stoned version, yes.

Quite worryingly, I'd listen to Tarkin over Camping anyday.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Wouldn't the blaster-saber just be Lord Helmet's schwartz from Space Balls? It was a lightsaber that could fire energy bolts.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Wouldn't the blaster-saber just be Lord Helmet's schwartz from Space Balls? It was a lightsaber that could fire energy bolts.

No. The point would be that you keep the blaster secret. When they parry an over head strike and the hilt is basically right in front of their face you can trigger it and blow their head off.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

No. The point would be that you keep the blaster secret. When they parry an over head strike and the hilt is basically right in front of their face you can trigger it and blow their head off.

A flaw in your plan: almost anyone who can parry a lightsaber is precognitive, and their spidey-sense would save them.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Doc Hawkins posted:

A flaw in your plan: almost anyone who can parry a lightsaber is precognitive, and their spidey-sense would save them.

Well they sure didn't see Order 66 coming :haw:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They were handicapped by Palp's force confusion cloud.

Yoda saw it coming though.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

euphronius posted:

They were handicapped by Palp's force confusion cloud.

Yoda saw it coming though.

And any other jedi a writer wishes to use for EU novels.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Doc Hawkins posted:

It's ok if you wave around the lightsaber first. Give it a good twirl, dude won't know what hit him.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

Mister Roboto posted:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Blastsword

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

I suppose this is an odd question to ask, but I'm looking to retire my Darth Treya av and trade it in for eiher P-spliffy or Tarkin. Anyone got any good source images or suggestions? Its been ages since I've tried to make an av.

More on topic: You guys are making me worry about my chances of ever reading the EU again. I started Swarm Wars and ditched it and I have a hard cover copy of Betrayal. Please tell me the rumors of more Thrawn are true?

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..

wtftastic posted:

I suppose this is an odd question to ask, but I'm looking to retire my Darth Treya av and trade it in for eiher P-spliffy or Tarkin. Anyone got any good source images or suggestions? Its been ages since I've tried to make an av.

You should totally use this.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Throb Robinson posted:

You should totally use this.

But...but whats wrong with his helmet?

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
Its from the Marvel series of Star wars Comics. Vader is drawn super inconsistent on like every panel. I'll take a poo poo ton of weird vaders if you want them for an avatar.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
No matter how many times I read this is never ceases to make me laugh; a Maoist review of Knights of the Old Republic.

http://www.prisoncensorship.info/archive/etext/bookstore/vgames/knightsoftheoldrep.html

quote:

Knights of the Old Republic ... or should we say Cossacks of the Old Republic?
Although many people have given this role playing game rave reviews in the united $tates for mostly technical reasons, even the rabid fans have admitted that it is easier to be evil in this game and that the Jedi Knights are too much more powerful than other characters. Apparently one way to "win" is to kill one's traveling friends.

The universe of Star Wars is not unlike our own. There are the common people, and there are the "great" people. Unlike in our own world, however, the "great" people in Star Wars have their own caste of warrior slaves with special powers who, under the guise of "maintaining stability" move against any insurrection and crush any move to advance the society.

In this game, the player takes a role of one such warrior that calls him/herself a Jedi KNIGHT. The manufacturer doesn't even try to hide the connection to the exploitative feudal system of the Middle Ages.

Throughout the game, choices have to be made, which affect the outcome of the game. Naturally, to a brainwashed child mind, the most exploitative options have been made the simplest, and quickest.

It is far easier to use your powers to steal, than to do charity. The game is far easier if you "go capitalistic," which clearly points to early indoctrination conspiracy by the fascists.

Throughout the game, the player is pitted in fights against common people, where s/he is shown that to resist the powerful means certain death. The deception is perfect, since the player is the power and this pries his/her mind open to indoctrination even more.

As is well known for the fascist bastards, they take enjoyment in killing others, and the game rewards the player for killing common people. In fact, it is not possible to progress in the game without killing commoners, and the manufacturer plainly tells the player: those who have the courage to kill, are strong. Those who don't are weak.

In one part of the game, the player fights for money--to the death. This serves well to illustrate the society, where money is everything and human life is worth nothing. The worth of a corpse is solely a function of its persynal properties, which have to be looted to advance in the game.

All in all, the Cossacks/Knights of the Old Republic is one of the most manipulative pieces of software ever devised. It leeches morality of young minds and prepares them to kill their peers to prevent a revolution. After all... the strong fascist knight shall always win.

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 26, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Nckdictator posted:

No matter how many times I read this is never ceases to make me laugh; a Maoist review of Knights of the Old Republic.

Where the gently caress did you find this?

Augustus Rumpus
Sep 23, 2007

code:
McEnroe!
Alone!

*clinches fist*

*mask is melting*

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Cossacks of The Old Republic sounds pretty hardcore, you have to admit.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Where the gently caress did you find this?

http://www.prisoncensorship.info/archive/etext/bookstore/vgames/knightsoftheoldrep.html

Here.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
Just wait until he hears about the Trade Federation

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

wtftastic posted:

More on topic: You guys are making me worry about my chances of ever reading the EU again. I started Swarm Wars and ditched it and I have a hard cover copy of Betrayal. Please tell me the rumors of more Thrawn are true?

I wouldn't mind more Thrawn. I had heard more Wraith Squadron though, which is also good.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Torael_7 posted:

I wouldn't mind more Thrawn. I had heard more Wraith Squadron though, which is also good.

There's supposed to be a new Thrawn story that will be included in the 20th anniversary version of Heir to the Empire. I think the sequel to Allegiance will also have Thrawn in it.

And while there is going to be a new Wraith Squadron novel, it was just announced that it's going to be set after Fate of the Jedi, which dampens any enthusiasm I had for it.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Chairman Capone posted:

And while there is going to be a new Wraith Squadron novel, it was just announced that it's going to be set after Fate of the Jedi, which dampens any enthusiasm I had for it.

I don't know, this might give Face the chance to completely poo poo on everything that's going on. It could be a new I, Jedi

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I've been watching the Clone Wars series and am on season 3. Just finished the episodes where Dooku betrays Ventress and gets a new assassin from the Sisters. What the loving gently caress is with that loving ending? Goddamn Darth Maul is alive and in exile in the Outer Rim?!
I really like this show (althought the Jar-Jar heavy episodes make me want to boil a live cat) but what is that poo poo?

Figured I'd spoiler as the show is fairly recent.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
It's not been resolved yet, that plot is being left for next season.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Pope Mobile posted:

I've been watching the Clone Wars series and am on season 3. Just finished the episodes where Dooku betrays Ventress and gets a new assassin from the Sisters. What the loving gently caress is with that loving ending? Goddamn Darth Maul is alive and in exile in the Outer Rim?!
I really like this show (althought the Jar-Jar heavy episodes make me want to boil a live cat) but what is that poo poo?

Seriously? What the gently caress, Star Wars. You make it really hard to still like you.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

thrawn527 posted:

Seriously? What the gently caress, Star Wars. You make it really hard to still like you.

Contrived ending and retarded nomenclature aside, that 3-episode arc was easily the high point of S.3.

I should also point out that I'm a bit of a Ventress fanboy, though.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I just saw that (working through season 3 now), and I gotta say I'm enjoying it as well. It sounds bad, but in practice it makes an enjoyable mindless action show sort of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Pope Mobile posted:

Goddamn Darth Maul is alive and in exile in the Outer Rim?!

Haha, how in the gently caress?