Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

CockShadow posted:

I'm having a hard time reading Feast. There just isn't anything to really get excited about yet (but I'm not very far). I guess I just want more Tyrion.

You are dangerously close to the precipice of hate.

Should you wish to avoid the bad thread, don't look down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

You are dangerously close to the precipice of hate.

Should you wish to avoid the bad thread, don't look down.
But it got gassed!

The bad thread got gassed!

Why would anyone do that? You don't gas the bad thread. The alt text of TBB is named after the bad thread, for god sakes.

Zombie Lincoln
Sep 7, 2006
The master of all things GRRM!

"His manhood glistened wetly..."

Kjoery posted:

But it got gassed!

The bad thread got gassed!

Why would anyone do that? You don't gas the bad thread. The alt text of TBB is named after the bad thread, for god sakes.

What is dead can never die...

Azzmun
Nov 17, 2006

Lemonrape, all the way down.
honestly gassing the bad thread is just going to lead to all the poo poo posters going here instead. bad move imo

Dendra
May 3, 2009
Hey loosechanj, can we have a new thread? Pretty please?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Kjoery posted:

Why would anyone do that?

Wasn't me, so I dunno. Probably for the laughs.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Dendra posted:

Hey loosechanj, can we have a new thread? Pretty please?

:siren:Here:siren: :ocelot:

Link to bad thread with spoilers and cancer and concentrated stupidity, follow at your own risk.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 30, 2011

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

3/4 way done with GoT and have a question for clarification:

Joffrey is on the throne, and Eddard comes up and says to take him and cersi into custody. Then the City watch closes in on the two, to which Eddard says he doesn't want any bloodshed and tells the queen to have her guys put down the swords.

All of a sudden, one of the city watch guys attacks a lanister guardsman. WTF was the reasoning behind this? Then Littlefinger basically takes control of Ned and has him by the next telling him he shouldn't have trusted him.

What went on here? why didn't the city watch just move in and capture joffrey and the queen? Did Baelish pay the city watch to fight and it was all his doing? Why would he have done this? To set up Ned?

So confused...

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

nwin posted:

3/4 way done with GoT and have a question for clarification:

Joffrey is on the throne, and Eddard comes up and says to take him and cersi into custody. Then the City watch closes in on the two, to which Eddard says he doesn't want any bloodshed and tells the queen to have her guys put down the swords.

All of a sudden, one of the city watch guys attacks a lanister guardsman. WTF was the reasoning behind this? Then Littlefinger basically takes control of Ned and has him by the next telling him he shouldn't have trusted him.

What went on here? why didn't the city watch just move in and capture joffrey and the queen? Did Baelish pay the city watch to fight and it was all his doing? Why would he have done this? To set up Ned?

So confused...
It will get clearer later on, but suffice to say that Littlefinger has plans of his own, and yes, he did pay off the City Guards. Remember how he told Ned that he would pay the city guard to remain loyal to Ned? He lied..

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Kainser posted:

It will get clearer later on, but suffice to say that Littlefinger has plans of his own, and yes, he did pay off the City Guards. Remember how he told Ned that he would pay the city guard to remain loyal to Ned? He lied..

Thank you! That makes sense now.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
I just finished Clash of Kings, so I think I'm going to give some predictions about the future books on things I suspect

Benjen Stark is with the Wildlings. Jon will meet him. This is the only one I'm 99% sure of.

Stannis Baratheon is still alive. Him and that crazy red bitch will have a significant role in later books.

Jon Snow is the son of Lyanna and Robert. I've suspected this since the end of Game but I can't be sure.

I'm thinking Riverrun will fall sometime in the third book.

A Typical Goon fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 2, 2011

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
I've got a question about Robert's Rebellion, I'll put in spoilers just to be safe.

What were the sides? Stark, Baratheon, Tully, Arryn against Targaryen, Lannister and Tyrell? What side did the Dorne family take? I think they're called the Martell's?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Typical Goon posted:

I've got a question about Robert's Rebellion, I'll put in spoilers just to be safe.

What were the sides? Stark, Baratheon, Tully, Arryn against Targaryen, Lannister and Tyrell? What side did the Dorne family take? I think they're called the Martell's?

The rebels were chiefly Baratheon, Stark, Arryn, and Tully. The Lannisters remained neutral until the tide turned in the rebels' favor at the Trident when Robert killed Rhaegar. The Targs had the Tyrells and the Martells on their side.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Ugh I just started reading ASoS and the first Sansa chapter is heartbreaking. It seems like everything's going to be fine for her, but there's no way GRRM will let that happen. I mean, she's far from my favorite character but that doesn't mean I want her to stay utterly misrable. :smith:

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Reading ASoS Holy gently caress was not expecting that! Everythings going nicely, a nice little sad wedding, things are finally looking up for the Starks, then suddenly WHAT IN THE gently caress? Everyone's dying! I had to read that whole part over three times before I was sure what the hell was going on. I should have seen it coming with the Grey Wind part, but I didn't at all. I've come to the conclusion while reading this book that GRRM simply hates happiness. I'm really interested to see where this goes now, the war seems like it's pretty much over now.

Edit: Holy poo poo, just got the next Davos chapter and something came to me. The leechs spell made Greyjoy and Robb die, and that means that Joffrey will be dead by the end of the book! Yeah! Well at least I'm not totally sad now.

A Typical Goon fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 9, 2011

Zombie Lincoln
Sep 7, 2006

A Typical Goon posted:

Reading ASoS Holy gently caress was not expecting that! Everythings going nicely, a nice little sad wedding, things are finally looking up for the Starks, then suddenly WHAT IN THE gently caress? Everyone's dying! I had to read that whole part over three times before I was sure what the hell was going on. I should have seen it coming with the Grey Wind part, but I didn't at all. I've come to the conclusion while reading this book that GRRM simply hates happiness. I'm really interested to see where this goes now, the war seems like it's pretty much over now.

Edit: Holy poo poo, just got the next Davos chapter and something came to me. The leechs spell made Greyjoy and Robb die, and that means that Joffrey will be dead by the end of the book! Yeah! Well at least I'm not totally sad now.

Excellent. Vicariously re-experiencing these scenes warms my cold black heart.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
It's almost beach season! Finally I'll be able to start reading the fourth book in preparation for July.

Speaking of which, Amazon has Dance With Dragons for half off if you preorder it.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Yodzilla posted:

It's almost beach season! Finally I'll be able to start reading the fourth book in preparation for July.

Speaking of which, Amazon has Dance With Dragons for half off if you preorder it.

Is it normal to only have a hardcover release for preorder? I intend to read the drat thing as soon as possible, but I have the other four books as mass market paperbacks, and it'll look really stupid in my library :shobon:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Hardcover first for like 3-6 months is pretty much the norm for all non-pulp novels.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
So I've never pre-ordered a book before it came out, if I order it now will it arrive on the 12th or will it only ship on the 12th?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

A Typical Goon posted:

So I've never pre-ordered a book before it came out, if I order it now will it arrive on the 12th or will it only ship on the 12th?
Amazon does release day delivery.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Or you can get the kindle version and not worry at all about shipping.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Amazon does release day delivery.

Seems like there would be a lot of mistakes this way with books being delivered early. I guess I'll avoid all ASoIaF internet things about a week before the book comes out.

Maarak posted:

Or you can get the kindle version and not worry at all about shipping.

I much prefer to read an actual physical book. Maybe I'm just old fashioned like that.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

A Typical Goon posted:

Seems like there would be a lot of mistakes this way with books being delivered early. I guess I'll avoid all ASoIaF internet things about a week before the book comes out.
There's a good chance of that, yes. I often get things early when I order with Amazon's release date delivery.

O Rapture
Feb 28, 2007

A Typical Goon posted:

This is exactly where I am in A Storm of Swords as of last night. Is this why people go to the angry thread? (I have been carefully avoiding it to keep from spoiling the book for me.)

The Red Wedding Feast left me absolutely jaw-dropped. What do you do with an author that kills every sympathetic protagonist!?! Without giving anything away, can someone please tell me, will there be any characters left alive for me to cheer for in these books??? There's got to be some kind of payoff, right?

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

In George RR Martin's world, things have got to get worse before they get better.
Stick with it man.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
(Storm spoilers) There are plenty of sympathetic characters other than Robb, and they are mostly still alive.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 24, 2011

O Rapture
Feb 28, 2007
Thanks. Where I left off Robb and Catelyn were slain at Walder Frey's hand and Arya just took an axe in the back of the head. Things are looking pretty bleak, and a part of me just wants to throw up my hands and be done with this. Sheesh. Bleak.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Kainser posted:

(Storm spoilers) There are plenty of sympathetic characters other than Robb, and they are mostly still alive.

Yeah like Joffrey! :haw:

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
I've finally been plowing through ASOS for the past week - I finished ACOK months ago but it didn't 'wow' me quite as much as AGOT, but the TV series gave me the itch to keep reading and holy poo poo, this thing loving moves. I'm only a third in, but plenty of 'poo poo just got real' moments so far.

Holy poo poo, Jaime got his hand chopped off? Even when he was rotting in Riverrun's prison cell, I had this perception of him being an invincible, if irrational, badass. Now he's... well, I'm not sure what to make of him (which he seems to be struggling with as well). Also, Dany's scene of claiming her slave army and keeping Drogon was completely awesome, even if I started to see it coming toward the end of the chapter. And good for Jon for finally getting some action! :pervert:

Now to keep tearing through this book in hopes the momentum carries me through AFFC before July. Hopefully it's not as much of a slog as it's been made out to be.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
Just finished A Feast for Crows. What a long plod that was. I like what they did with some of the characters, but gently caress, dude. I can't imagine having read that when it first came out, and having to wait this long for ADWD.

Coming fresh off ASOS probably spoiled me though. That was by far the best book in the series. Hopefully ADWD follows suit.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
The first review of ADWD said that it was more AFFC than ASOS. :negative:

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Charlie Mopps posted:

Honestly, I'm pretty cool with that. Two books of setup followed by one of total payoff is a fair trade.

My patience is legendary. :colbert:

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Charlie Mopps posted:

It says it's a setup book like AFFC, but it also says (no spoilers):

quote:

the ... conclusion hints that the next installment will see a return to the fiery battles and icy terror that earned the series its fanatic following. Even ostensibly disillusioned fans will be caught up in the interweaving stories

It's a crap review at any rate.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Charlie Mopps posted:

gently caress. drat you GRRM. drat you.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Charlie Mopps posted:

Umm...duh, they were originally the same book.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

DarkCrawler posted:

Umm...duh, they were originally the same book.
Yeah, I don't know what people were expecting here.

I liked Feast for what it's worth, and I'll be perfectly happy if Dance follows the same pattern. At least there won't be any chapters where Brienne wanders aimlessly searching for a girl you know she has no chance of finding.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I'm sure it's been said before, but one thing i really can't stand is how GRRM feels the need to reiterate everything at the begenning of each book. I'm only on book 3, but it really stuck out on 2, and its driving me nuts so far in SoS. Stuff like, in jon's first chapter, "jon snow, the bastard of lord eddard stark of winterfell, unsheathed his sword, a gift from the commander of the wall. The wall was 700 feet high..."

Even though the meat of the book can be kinda dense, it just speaks to a huge lack of faith in his readers and really spoils the excitement of starting a new book.

Zombie Lincoln
Sep 7, 2006

Well it makes more sense if you imagine an increasing number of years having passed irl between reading each book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I just passed the second davos chapter in ACOK

:staredog:

Did what I think just happen, happen?

• Locked thread