Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I spotted our maintenance dude carting a batch of HP lasers away a few days ago, made some enquiries and managed to snag a 4000 TN for free. One of the tray has jammed on me a bit, but the other seems fine. I'm guessing they never get cleaned so I'll do some maintenance and get it working fully. I think they used third party toner so I'll get some real stuff and hopefully it'll be printing like new. Not bad for a unit that's 13 years old and had passed thru 1/4 million pieces of paper!

Setting it up on OSX was a breeze... Used my LAN IP function to find it's IP address, made it reserve this for the future and pointed the Mac to it and was printing within seconds.

Bargain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Red_Fred posted:

I'm after a printer/scanner for home use. Won't be printing much and a flatbed scanner is all it needs. Wireless would be good but I fear that may bump the price past what I want to spend (Max $150). Colour would be nice but again might bump it past my budget.

So I'm guessing you will recommend me a Brother laser of some sort. I'm not sure I like Brother much. We have one at work and it prints some of the worst colour stuff I have ever seen. Although it's likely to be a cheap model, MFC or something.

Color is going to be way out of your budget. You could get some lovely inkjet flatbed comb for $80, but you're basically going to buy a new set of ink every time you print because it will dry up.

I've never used a Brother Color, so I can't speak to it, but their black and white laser is top notch, so you shouldn't have any problem with that. I think they've got some models that will fit what you need with your budget, just go check out their website. I think HP will also have some lasers that will do what you want.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

FISHMANPET posted:

Color is going to be way out of your budget. You could get some lovely inkjet flatbed comb for $80, but you're basically going to buy a new set of ink every time you print because it will dry up.

I've never used a Brother Color, so I can't speak to it, but their black and white laser is top notch, so you shouldn't have any problem with that. I think they've got some models that will fit what you need with your budget, just go check out their website. I think HP will also have some lasers that will do what you want.

I'm also wary of HP products. I know they make some great things but I think their quality control is pretty bad. I'll look into Brother B&W lasers.

Thanks a lot.

EDIT: Thoughts on the Brother DCP 7055?

Red_Fred fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 18, 2011

Scorponok
May 13, 2002

No... not without incident.
I need a printer for use at the trade shows we go to 2-3 times a year. Requirements:

* Able to print a couple hundred pages a day for 4-5 days in a row without dying or requiring huge quantities of expensive ink / toner

* Network port, so we can plug it in to a router and use it as a network printer (wireless won't cut it, must be a physical network port)

* Automatic duplex, so it can print double-sided without needing to turn the paper over or whatever

* Ideally small, since we'll be moving it around and a smaller printer would make that more convenient

* Black and white only - color won't be used at all.

* Price $100-200 or so I guess, not sure

I think lasers are generally preferable over inkjets, but I could be convinced otherwise. I could just pick some random well-rated printer out from newegg, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips / recommendations here first?

Thanks all.

Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

MECH VITAE is already stupid.

Scorponok posted:

I need a printer for use at the trade shows we go to 2-3 times a year. Requirements:

* Able to print a couple hundred pages a day for 4-5 days in a row without dying or requiring huge quantities of expensive ink / toner

* Network port, so we can plug it in to a router and use it as a network printer (wireless won't cut it, must be a physical network port)

* Automatic duplex, so it can print double-sided without needing to turn the paper over or whatever

* Ideally small, since we'll be moving it around and a smaller printer would make that more convenient

* Black and white only - color won't be used at all.

* Price $100-200 or so I guess, not sure

I think lasers are generally preferable over inkjets, but I could be convinced otherwise. I could just pick some random well-rated printer out from newegg, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips / recommendations here first?

Thanks all.

HL2270DW
http://www.brother-usa.com/Printer/ModelDetail.aspx?ProductID=HL2270DW

It's wireless sure, but it also has a physical network port.

Comes with a low-yield starter toner so you do want to buy an additional toner, probably the TN460 which is high yield.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Scorponok posted:

I think lasers are generally preferable over inkjets, but I could be convinced otherwise

Nobody will try to convince you otherwise, except maybe an printer company rep at a Best Buy (when I sold printers at Best Buy I wouldn't be afraid to sell the laser printer).

Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

Nobody will try to convince you otherwise, except maybe an printer company rep at a Best Buy (when I sold printers at Best Buy I wouldn't be afraid to sell the laser printer).

I would only suggest an inkjet for those who want to print photo quality type documents, because lasers, even color lasers, are not good for printing photographs.
I would not recommend inkjets to those who print just standard documents.

Scorponok
May 13, 2002

No... not without incident.
Thanks, that was actually one of the ones I was looking at on newegg - will definitely pick it up!

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...
How is the Samsung ML-2525? It's on sale at newegg for 52 (with shipping). I've been pondering the Brother MFC7480W so I could have a scanner, but drat that is cheap.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Tedronai66 posted:

How is the Samsung ML-2525? It's on sale at newegg for 52 (with shipping). I've been pondering the Brother MFC7480W so I could have a scanner, but drat that is cheap.

It'll probably work fine if you're just using it very lightly. I haven't used the 2525, but we have a lot of 2510 and 2571Ns here, as well as the equivalent Brother models. Overall the build quality is better on the Brothers and we've had less "weird" issues with them.

The amount you save is going to be very small once you start buying toner cartridges at $50 each. If you aren't in a hurry, keep watching for sales. Brother stuff regularly goes on sale at Amazon, Newegg and other places.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Cpt.Wacky posted:

The amount you save is going to be very small once you start buying toner cartridges at $50 each. If you aren't in a hurry, keep watching for sales. Brother stuff regularly goes on sale at Amazon, Newegg and other places.

Yeah I looked more into toners and they're 50-70 a pop. The 7480 is a sale price at Costco, and adds the bonus of having a scanner, which I think I'd still like to have. Is 180 a good price for the 7480W, or have better prices been seen?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Tedronai66 posted:

Yeah I looked more into toners and they're 50-70 a pop. The 7480 is a sale price at Costco, and adds the bonus of having a scanner, which I think I'd still like to have. Is 180 a good price for the 7480W, or have better prices been seen?

I think that's the typical sale price for that model. Most other places are showing $250+.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
My mum needs a reasonably priced colour printer-scanner for her university course. Any recommendations?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

My mum needs a reasonably priced colour printer-scanner for her university course. Any recommendations?

Does it have to be color?

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

FISHMANPET posted:

Does it have to be color?

Apparently so, definitely doesn't have to be laser though

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Apparently so, definitely doesn't have to be laser though

Well, there's no such thing as a reasonably priced ink jet, especially not when printing stuff for a class.

Are you sure it has to be color? There isn't anywhere on campus she can print in color for the few times she actually needs it? Inkjets are basically always a bad idea. For occasional printing, you're ink heads dry up all the time, for frequent printing, laser will kill on cost per page, for (photo) quality going to a photo printing kiosk will be way better, unless you're buying some profesional machine, in which case cheapness gets thrown out the window.

Depending on the budget, color laser could be done, but again, there has to be a real need for it.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

FISHMANPET posted:

Well, there's no such thing as a reasonably priced ink jet, especially not when printing stuff for a class.

Are you sure it has to be color? There isn't anywhere on campus she can print in color for the few times she actually needs it? Inkjets are basically always a bad idea. For occasional printing, you're ink heads dry up all the time, for frequent printing, laser will kill on cost per page, for (photo) quality going to a photo printing kiosk will be way better, unless you're buying some profesional machine, in which case cheapness gets thrown out the window.

Depending on the budget, color laser could be done, but again, there has to be a real need for it.

She's doing a course at the Open University (so basically a correspondence course) so there's no campus for her to go to. My dad asked me if there was anything wrong with this HP model http://tinyurl.com/3sy93t5 but to be honest I know jack poo poo about printers so I couldn't really say

EDIT: I'll call him tomorrow and find out exactly what they need it for

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

She's doing a course at the Open University (so basically a correspondence course) so there's no campus for her to go to. My dad asked me if there was anything wrong with this HP model http://tinyurl.com/3sy93t5 but to be honest I know jack poo poo about printers so I couldn't really say

EDIT: I'll call him tomorrow and find out exactly what they need it for

It's a cheap HP all-in-one. Ink costs will be ridiculous, and if you put it to any kind of heavy use it will break fairly quickly. If you don't use it for any significant length of time (more than a few weeks), then there's a good chance some nozzles in the print head will clog, and you'll have to replace the clogged cartridge.

Cheap inkjets are sold at rock-bottom prices because the manufacturers know they can make up the difference on ink sales; the cost per page quickly becomes ridiculous. If you're printing photos, it's often cheaper to have them printed at a drugstore photo lab, even before you factor the cost of the printer into the equation. People assume that it's always cheaper to do things at home, and printer companies make enormous profits off that assumption.

If you're printing in any kind of volume, you need either a laser printer or a high-end inkjet that can take bulk ink. For school, a B&W laser is almost certainly the best choice, because she'll likely be printing off an awful lot of text-heavy documents, where the cost-per-page and speed advantages of a laser printer quickly show themselves. If she's going to be printing a really large amount, she may want to look for something with a duplexer (dual-sided printing capability), just to cut the paper volume in half. If color is an absolute requirement, color lasers are coming down quite a bit in price, although they still cost quite a bit more than a B&W laser to buy and run, and color accuracy won't be any better than a cheap inkjet.

Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

Space Gopher posted:

It's a cheap HP all-in-one. Ink costs will be ridiculous, and if you put it to any kind of heavy use it will break fairly quickly. If you don't use it for any significant length of time (more than a few weeks), then there's a good chance some nozzles in the print head will clog, and you'll have to replace the clogged cartridge.

Cheap inkjets are sold at rock-bottom prices because the manufacturers know they can make up the difference on ink sales; the cost per page quickly becomes ridiculous. If you're printing photos, it's often cheaper to have them printed at a drugstore photo lab, even before you factor the cost of the printer into the equation. People assume that it's always cheaper to do things at home, and printer companies make enormous profits off that assumption.

If you're printing in any kind of volume, you need either a laser printer or a high-end inkjet that can take bulk ink. For school, a B&W laser is almost certainly the best choice, because she'll likely be printing off an awful lot of text-heavy documents, where the cost-per-page and speed advantages of a laser printer quickly show themselves. If she's going to be printing a really large amount, she may want to look for something with a duplexer (dual-sided printing capability), just to cut the paper volume in half. If color is an absolute requirement, color lasers are coming down quite a bit in price, although they still cost quite a bit more than a B&W laser to buy and run, and color accuracy won't be any better than a cheap inkjet.

I've got a few models I can suggest.
http://www.brother-usa.com/MFC/ModelDetail.aspx?ProductID=MFCJ6510dw
and, if you want automatic duplex (two-sided) scanning
http://www.brother-usa.com/MFC/ModelDetail.aspx?ProductID=MFCJ6910dw

Both inkjets, but they can use very high volume ink, these are the ink cartridges availabe for these two models:
http://www.brothermall.com/Accessories/AccessoryList.aspx?Model=MFCJ6910dw&ACASCID=30

Notice the yield versus the price, compair that with other inkjet machines.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Whelp. My Brother 2170W is pretty much on its last legs. It seems "temperamental" about when it does and doesn't want to print. It had a good run, though- I owned it for over 3 years and never had to refill the toner a single time. We're also looking for a 3-in-1.

I'm looking at the Brother MFC-7840W. Listed on Newegg for $309. Any thoughts on this printer?

diehlr
Apr 17, 2003
Remember not to use restricted post tags next time.

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I've had pretty good luck in recommending the Canon MX-870. It's frequently on sale for $149 at Office Depot. Individual ink cartridges, two paper trays, wireless, etc. The document feeder on the scanner is actually pretty reliable, too which is rare on most printers. Canon's main drawback is their faxing is horribly unintuitive but I have a feeling that is a non-issue since most people don't fax much these days.

Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

melon cat posted:

Whelp. My Brother 2170W is pretty much on its last legs. It seems "temperamental" about when it does and doesn't want to print. It had a good run, though- I owned it for over 3 years and never had to refill the toner a single time. We're also looking for a 3-in-1.

I'm looking at the Brother MFC-7840W. Listed on Newegg for $309. Any thoughts on this printer?

The MFC-7840W while an excellent machine, is the "old and busted".
This MFC-7860DW is the "new hotness".

It's basically the upgraded model, more features, better wireless card, and it prints duplex (both sides of the page) automatically.

Edit: Personally I think the MFC-7840W wins in the looks department, but the MFC-7860DW has more features, but is butt ugly.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Vitae posted:

The MFC-7840W while an excellent machine, is the "old and busted".
This MFC-7860DW is the "new hotness".

It's basically the upgraded model, more features, better wireless card, and it prints duplex (both sides of the page) automatically.

Edit: Personally I think the MFC-7840W wins in the looks department, but the MFC-7860DW has more features, but is butt ugly.
Thanks for the heads-up, there. It really helped us to narrow down our options. :hfive:

We're going with the ugly-but-functional MFC-7860DW.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Whenever I print this out on my HL2140:
http://www.mediafire.com/?12tyf392xgi
The grays don't actually print out. It works fine on other printers, but not my HL2140. Is there a setting I can change to make it print darker or something?

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
So let's say that my parents are willing to go for a pro-level inkjet if it provides better long-term value, other than the Brother models above are there any other recommendations? My dad mentioned the HP 8500A (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Officejet-8500A-All-Enabled-Printer/dp/B003VYB718), is that any good? I'm pretty open to advice/suggestions at this point

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

So let's say that my parents are willing to go for a pro-level inkjet if it provides better long-term value, other than the Brother models above are there any other recommendations? My dad mentioned the HP 8500A (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Officejet-8500A-All-Enabled-Printer/dp/B003VYB718), is that any good? I'm pretty open to advice/suggestions at this point

Without a justification for wanting color, any inkjet recomendation you make is going to be bad.

Laser is going to be better than ink jet at document priting 100% of the time. If you want to print photos go to a Kodak kiosk, if you want to print documents get a laser, any other use case is a strange edge case and could go either way, so you should figure out what you're trying to do.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

FISHMANPET posted:

Without a justification for wanting color, any inkjet recomendation you make is going to be bad.

Laser is going to be better than ink jet at document priting 100% of the time. If you want to print photos go to a Kodak kiosk, if you want to print documents get a laser, any other use case is a strange edge case and could go either way, so you should figure out what you're trying to do.

Teaching materials for my mum's university course that have lots of colour photos and diagrams.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Teaching materials for my mum's university course that have lots of colour photos and diagrams.

I'd go with a color laser then. The pictures won't look as good, but diagrams and text will be much crisper, and you'll save a ton of money on ink.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

FISHMANPET posted:

I'd go with a color laser then. The pictures won't look as good, but diagrams and text will be much crisper, and you'll save a ton of money on ink.

Thanks, any recommendations?

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Since I missed the brother printer on sale at costco, How is This, the Samsung SCX-4623F? Looks like it's decently reviewed (and 92 shipped for price. USB only, but printer sharing via windows or my server box makes that a nonissue.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Following up on my Brother HL-2170W purchase recommended by goons. Ive printed out 200 pages so far. The printer has worked without a single hitch so far, and im still not out of ink, compared to my other HP printer which would run out ink at 100 pages. It looks like im in for another ~200-300 prints. Print quality is surprisingly well for a toner printer, even when there's images involved.

My only complaint is the fan noise when it prints. Sometimes it stays on a little long. Otherwise it stays quiet when not doing anything.

Loving my purchase so far. This printer works well as intended, and I see no reason in the future to replace this printer so long as it keeps on working the way it is.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Thanks, any recommendations?

I like my HL3040CN a lot.

The only people who can call an inkjet a 'value' proposition are the pro photographers who need direct control over their printing process first, photo quality second, and price per print a distant third. Even with a CIS, it won't approach the price per print of a color laser, and if you ever have the printer go idle for a long time you'll burn a lot of that ink up. A color laser can sit idle as long as you want and come right back every time.

Avocadoes: Unless the toner in the 2170W is unusually small, you're probably up for at least another ~500-1000 pages.

Liongate
May 29, 2009
Its time for me to buy a printer.

Multifunction I want scanner and copy really. Fax is not needed. Well Screw that...I just need printer
Laser or Led since I don't be printing often.
Colour and Duplex Now that I am not getting multifunction....I want both Duplex and Colour
Wireless is not must but is always a plus

Skipping multifunction opens whole new can of wonders, so I will throw the bones and ask you shamans to tell me my future.

Liongate fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jun 30, 2011

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Liongate posted:

Its time for me to buy a printer.

Multifunction I want scanner and copy really. Fax is not needed.
Laser or led since I don't be printing often.
Colour I am kinda torn with this...Either colour or dublex really...can't have both.
Duplex Would be awesome but colour laser and dublex is out of my price range.
Wireless is not must but is always a plus

Samsung CLX-3185FW is something I have been looking for colour laser and
MFC-7860DW For mono Duplex.

I take suggestion for both colour and mono duplex version if you know any better ones.

I went from a color laser to a 7860DW recently and have absolutely no regrets.

Liongate
May 29, 2009

Maneki Neko posted:

I went from a color laser to a 7860DW recently and have absolutely no regrets.

I still need some good points on going duplex rather than colour since in most cases you can still manually do double sides. Can't go other way around, unless coloring that monochrome picture with crayons.

I have read some previews about CLX-3185 and most complains seems to be on speed and buttons. I don't mind slow speed as long what quality is good.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

Manual duplex sounds great, but in practice you will almost never do it. Duplex will save you money by significantly reducing your paper use. Color only costs more money in consumables. Only go with color if you honestly can't do without it.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Liongate posted:

I still need some good points on going duplex rather than colour since in most cases you can still manually do double sides. Can't go other way around, unless coloring that monochrome picture with crayons.

I have read some previews about CLX-3185 and most complains seems to be on speed and buttons. I don't mind slow speed as long what quality is good.

Thinkfear really hit the nail on the head. A full color toner run on my last printer was maybe 2/3 - 3/4 of the price of a new printer, so usually didn't bother to print color unless I absolutely needed it. Manual duplexing means that you're really not going to end up duplexing in most situations.

Color print jobs on a consumer priced laser are going to be decent, but not photo quality, so it really ended up being a situation where black and white was fine 99+% of the time, and if I want a good color print, or some color printing done, I'll just do it somewhere with a cheaper cost and better materials.

Liongate
May 29, 2009
I read more about the Samsung CLX-3185FW and it seems it has some annoying driver and ink problems. Guess I go with monochrome printer then since I haven't found any other appealing colour printer so far.

Some review said MFC-7860DW had quite loud idle noise when connected wireless, any experience on that? Too loud noise would be bad since the printer would be pretty near my bed.

I take some more recommendations as long its under 400€

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Liongate posted:

I read more about the Samsung CLX-3185FW and it seems it has some annoying driver and ink problems. Guess I go with monochrome printer then since I haven't found any other appealing colour printer so far.

Some review said MFC-7860DW had quite loud idle noise when connected wireless, any experience on that? Too loud noise would be bad since the printer would be pretty near my bed.

I take some more recommendations as long its under 400€

The printer is silent in "deep sleep" mode, I think the problem is that it can't go into deep sleep mode when connected to wireless (at least from what I read). I don't think it's quite loud, but it would be really annoying if it was anywhere by my bed (think small annoying fan noise).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liongate
May 29, 2009

Maneki Neko posted:

The printer is silent in "deep sleep" mode, I think the problem is that it can't go into deep sleep mode when connected to wireless (at least from what I read). I don't think it's quite loud, but it would be really annoying if it was anywhere by my bed (think small annoying fan noise).

gently caress! Kinda defeats the whole meaning of wireless if I have to get 10m usb cable for it to shut up so I can sleep. Is there any other similar brother without whiny fan? Or is that 7860 the boss of multifunction ones?

• Locked thread