Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Arnold of Soissons posted:

On Amazon they're currently listing at $110 used, $120 refurb.

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireless-Reading-Device-Display/dp/B0015T963C/

It would have to be under $100 for me to consider getting it, otherwise the $80 or so more that a K3 3G costs is worth it.

For me at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

I love my K2, but am tempted to upgrade just because I use it so drat much. If the K4 is due out sometime this year, though, I think I'll just wait for that. The K3 isn't enough of a significant upgrade to justify $180 when I've only had my K2 for a little over a year.

The K3 shows page numbers though? drat that would be helpful, it gets awful annoying because I can't cite pages in papers, and plan to purchase textbooks when I go to grad school next year via Kindle and would have trouble following a syllabus or in class.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

I love my K2, but am tempted to upgrade just because I use it so drat much. If the K4 is due out sometime this year, though, I think I'll just wait for that. The K3 isn't enough of a significant upgrade to justify $180 when I've only had my K2 for a little over a year.

The K3 shows page numbers though? drat that would be helpful, it gets awful annoying because I can't cite pages in papers, and plan to purchase textbooks when I go to grad school next year via Kindle and would have trouble following a syllabus or in class.

I'm in the same boat. 100 €/USD - I would upgrade to a Kindle 3. But with the current price I'll wait for the Kindle 4 too, despite the hours I spend reading with the Kindle.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Cartoon Man posted:

It would have to be under $100 for me to consider getting it, otherwise the $80 or so more that a K3 3G costs is worth it.

For me at least.

:confused: It is under $100.

The Kindle2 3g is $89 on woot today, compared to a normal used price of $110 or a refurb price of $120. The Kingle3 3g (because the non-3g version isn't an apples-to-apples comparison) is exactly $100 more than today's woot deal for what are, in comparison, minor changes.

I think it's a good deal, but the Kindle3 is definitely better than the 2.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

I could be wrong but I think the page numbers depend on the size that you make the text on the Kindle, so they don't necessarily correspond directly to page numbers in the real book.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Levitate posted:

I could be wrong but I think the page numbers depend on the size that you make the text on the Kindle, so they don't necessarily correspond directly to page numbers in the real book.

Pretty sure certain books have page numbers to correspond to a printed version of the book. The Hitchiker's Guide I am reading has them, as do the Song of Ice and Fire books. The books have to support it, so not every one will, but a good portion of the newer releases seem to. It is really nice.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
oh, that could be, just kind of like a marker that "page 70" starts with this specific sentence and so it will take you there, regardless of whether it displays the entire "real" page on your Kindle.

I was just assuming that it was basing it off a "page" displayed on the Kindle which seemed kind of pointless, but I hadn't really looked into it closely

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Levitate posted:

oh, that could be, just kind of like a marker that "page 70" starts with this specific sentence and so it will take you there, regardless of whether it displays the entire "real" page on your Kindle.

I was just assuming that it was basing it off a "page" displayed on the Kindle which seemed kind of pointless, but I hadn't really looked into it closely

If the book supports it, they list the ISBN of the print version the page numbers are based off of so you can cite them if you need to. So it's definitely based off of a physical copy.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Has anyone tried the Duokan firmware for their kindle? It adds epub support, rss feeds, and some PDF stuff.

http://flip.netzbeben.de/2010/11/duokan-available-with-english-gui-today/

Ectohawk
Oct 27, 2010

How is reading forums on the Kindle? Would it be worth it to get the 3G kindle on woot today mainly to read forums on? I know the web browser isn't that good, but are Something Awful topics readable?

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Clowcards posted:

How is reading forums on the Kindle? Would it be worth it to get the 3G kindle on woot today mainly to read forums on? I know the web browser isn't that good, but are Something Awful topics readable?

Check out this post, earlier in this thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3327487&userid=0&perpage=20&pagenumber=32#post391290277

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

So I woke up this morning and my Kindle has a small tiny spider-web like ink blot on it. It's pretty small, but distracting enough that every time I get to it I lose focus.

Any one else have this? Will it spread? Will Amazon replace it?

Any light that you can shed on this lovely situation would rock.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Beastie posted:

So I woke up this morning and my Kindle has a small tiny spider-web like ink blot on it. It's pretty small, but distracting enough that every time I get to it I lose focus.

Any one else have this? Will it spread? Will Amazon replace it?

Any light that you can shed on this lovely situation would rock.

Amazon will almost certainly replace it.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

mister_gosh posted:

I don't have a case for it but intend to buy one soon.

I have a rather sexy hemp case for my kindle. I've heard friends tell me that the "official" covers are a bit poo poo. I bought my hemp one for a few quid and it's lovely. Really soft, classy and somewhat unusual.

dont eat a carb
May 2, 2011

by T. Finn

Ddraig posted:

I have a rather sexy hemp case for my kindle. I've heard friends tell me that the "official" covers are a bit poo poo. I bought my hemp one for a few quid and it's lovely. Really soft, classy and somewhat unusual.

Your friends are wrong, in that this thing is amazing and I can't imagine owning a kindle without it:

Kindle Lit Leather Case

It's also very good looking.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

In less than a 5 minute phonecall, Amazon is sending me a new replacement Kindle, preloaded with my entire library, for free, and it gets here on Wednesday!

The only downside is I no longer have my awesome covered in stickers from my travels Kindle.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Clowcards posted:

The one on woot is a Kindle 2, the previous post is about a Kindle 3 which has a slightly more powerful web browser. Get a smart phone if you want to read the forums, Kindles are for books and periodicals. It's nice to be able to view a couple websites that have mobile functions like Google, Gmail, Wikipedia, and some news sites... but for heavy duty web browsing it will run out of memory quickly and force you to restart your machine. If what you 'mainly' want to do with a Kindle is anything but read, you're doing it wrong.

That said you should get a Kindle because it owns and will make you read.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

dont eat a carb posted:

Your friends are wrong, in that this thing is amazing and I can't imagine owning a kindle without it:

Kindle Lit Leather Case

It's also very good looking.

It may be good, but $60 good? That's almost half the price of the kindle itself.

This is the cover I got. I was lucky enough to get it rather cheaper than it's listed there, and it's amazing.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Ddraig posted:

It may be good, but $60 good? That's almost half the price of the kindle itself.

Obviously it's a matter of personal preference, but for me yeah it's $60 good.

quotison
Dec 29, 2005

don't hit your head
Barnes & Noble just announced their new black & white Nook that will be available in June. It has a touchscreen and apparently a two month battery life.

I just got a Kindle this week, and enjoying it a lot so far. Looking forward to actually reading other than stuff for work/blogs/SA.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

quotison posted:

It has a touchscreen and apparently a two month battery life.
I'm looking forward to e-Ink technology in ten years when you can charge your device once a year. Goddamn I love having one device that doesn't require me to think about charging it.

A Fistful of Owls
Sep 2, 2006

I remember the day you followed me home.
Advertised battery life has never been realistic but it's been getting absurd for ebook readers.

It lasts two months! (If you only only read 30 minutes a day)

So really, they've already achieved a one year battery life. If you only read 4 minutes a day, of course, reserving that extra minute/day so you can go on Wi-Fi twice per year. But let's not mention that second sentence.

A Fistful of Owls fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 24, 2011

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
I can't find anything on Amazon saying how they judge their one month battery life for the Kindle 3, but someone in the other thread remembered it being based on an hour a day.

So if the Nook's two months is based on a half hour and the Kindle's month is based on an hour, then.....

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Then they both have a 30hr battery and they should quit being assholes and just call it a 30 hour battery.

Advertising! :argh:

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
This does look really nice, though. I'll probably be picking one up next month unless Amazon announces something better.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Would it be a good idea to remove the screensaver hack from my Kindle before I send it back, or is Amazon not going to give a gently caress?

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008
So what's the current status of rumors regarding a Kindle 4? I can't seem to find it now, but there was an article I read about how Amazon had contracted with a Chinese company to make something like color e-ink screens for a new Kindle, supposedly for Q2-Q4 2011.

The reason I ask is that my birthday's coming up, and I want to know if I should see about getting a Kindle 3, or if I should just wait for the new improved version.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Jigsaw posted:

So what's the current status of rumors regarding a Kindle 4? I can't seem to find it now, but there was an article I read about how Amazon had contracted with a Chinese company to make something like color e-ink screens for a new Kindle, supposedly for Q2-Q4 2011.

The reason I ask is that my birthday's coming up, and I want to know if I should see about getting a Kindle 3, or if I should just wait for the new improved version.

Its probably going to be a tablet and have a 7 inch LCD screen, should be out by Christmas.

Supposedly there is technology coming out that allows for a toggle between a nice e-ink screen for reading and a color LCD screen for everything else, but the tech isn't going to be ready untill 2012-2013. Amazon didn't want to wait for it, so they are going with regular LCD for their tablet.

Heres more info:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/228523/amazon_tablet_why_its_a_big_deal.html
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2385684,00.asp

quote:

My sources in Taipei say that the actual product is set to debut in time for the holidays and that the device will use a display similar to the one in the Nook and the Galaxy Tab. They also tell me that the original RFQ wanted a screen that could switch between an easy-to-read black and white E Ink-like display and a color LCD, but that this type of screen, which is already in the works by at least two vendors, will not be ready for the market until at least 2012 or early 2013. So Amazon was forced to use a 10-inch screen that was available now, which is LCD-based. It will also reportedly have a 7-inch model. And I am hearing it will sport a new version of Nvidia's Tegra quad-core chip and will be using Android as its OS.

If all of this turns out to be true, I will not be getting their first gen tablet and instead wait for the one that can switch between e-ink and LCD.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 24, 2011

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Cartoon Man posted:

Supposedly there is technology coming out that allows for a toggle between a nice e-ink screen for reading and a color LCD screen for everything else

I would buy the poo poo out of that.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

Its probably going to be a tablet and have a 7 inch LCD screen, should be out by Christmas.

Supposedly there is technology coming out that allows for a toggle between a nice e-ink screen for reading and a color LCD screen for everything else, but the tech isn't going to be ready untill 2012-2013. Amazon didn't want to wait for it, so they are going with regular LCD for their tablet.

Heres more info:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/228523/amazon_tablet_why_its_a_big_deal.html
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2385684,00.asp

If all of this turns out to be true, I will not be getting their first gen tablet and instead wait for the one that can switch between e-ink and LCD.
Ah, well, I might just get a Kindle 3 then. The big draw for me is the e-ink stuff. Thanks for letting me know!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Jigsaw posted:

Ah, well, I might just get a Kindle 3 then. The big draw for me is the e-ink stuff. Thanks for letting me know!

The rumored tablets are most likely going to be separate from the Kindle brand anyways. Jeff Benoz has said multiple times that he wants the Kindle to be about the reading experience first and foremost.

There is no real news or speculation on the Kindle 4 or when it will come.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I would buy the poo poo out of that.

Agreed, I don't care about the price either. I want a nice 7 inch tablet with Android app store compatability, and be able to switch to e-ink for reading. How they can pull this off I'm not sure. I suppose the LCD screen would be the base, and the e ink would sit on top of it and be transparent when not in use.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
There's supposedly a tablet with the toggle between e-ink and LCD called the Notion E-Ink Adam, if I recall correctly. I haven't heard much about it though, beyond a vague "didn't live up to its expectations." But the technology is out there.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
I really just want a two page tablet. It would be awesome for text books, especially if you can use one page stay on something like a graph, while the other page can be scrolled through, easier to cross reference the graph.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

JammyLammy posted:

I really just want a two page tablet. It would be awesome for text books, especially if you can use one page stay on something like a graph, while the other page can be scrolled through, easier to cross reference the graph.

Tada.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6940002&SRCCODE=GOOGLEBASE&cm_mmc_o=VRqCjC7BBTkwCjCECjCE

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009

Oh nice.

Its on the right track, but I could do without the android tablet on the right side (nice feature though). I'm willing to bet the battery life isn't that hot though =/

edit: Definitely don't need a camera. Wish people would keep things simple.

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Well you're just going to have to get over that.

quotison posted:

Barnes & Noble just announced their new black & white Nook that will be available in June. It has a touchscreen and apparently a two month battery life.

drat. I just need to find a reason why I need two e readers so I can justify buying this. Hopefully they will improve on their currently atrocious touch screen technology.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Crossposting from the gadget thread, but just found out Amazon released a 3g ad supported kindle.

164$, not a bad price for lifetime 3g access.

I just wish they would offer up collections like the sony does! :argh:

dont eat a carb
May 2, 2011

by T. Finn
The Amazon Tablet is not the Kindle 4.

Kindle 4 will only happen when E-Ink Incorporated releases a new generation of screen after the Pearl.

The tablet will happen before the Kindle 4, and will obviously have Kindle software, but it will not be the Kindle 4.

The Kindle 4 is going to have whatever E-Ink Inc. comes up with next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
http://www.robertswartwood.com/insights/the-e-book-cover-game/

Ohhhhh hoo hoo hoo hooooo

That... really has to suck.

• Locked thread