Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose

Trollologist posted:

Dude, you have weird taste in games (kotor is not mediocre :colbert: ).

I mean, don't get me wrong, I liked em well enough, but relative to the first list they're just... mediocre imho.

I'll check those out, Is the Tales sequel Vesperia? Graphics look great on that one, is the story any good? I can usually overlook bad characters (see: ffx's main) if that element is there. Thank you, any other good games to check out?

edit: oops, is it Tales of Graces?

Smoove J fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
So, I'm in the mood for a game with a very creepy, oppressing tone to it. I played through Sutef and Eversion, and that's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. Something that, when initially displayed to you, doesn't seem so bad and then you descend into the abyss (or, alternatively, just get shoved into it)

Bonus points of its freeware, but if it isn't then I'm cool with that.

Just to knock out these suggestions ahead of time, I've already played:

Siren ___
Fatal Frame ___
Silent Hill ___
Resident Evil ___

And am looking for something less horror-driven and more horror-rooted. Not something that will make me jump and swear, but something that will root into my head and make me paranoid at a future date.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Smoove J posted:

I mean, don't get me wrong, I liked em well enough, but relative to the first list they're just... mediocre imho.

I'll check those out, Is the Tales sequel Vesperia? Graphics look great on that one, is the story any good? I can usually overlook bad characters (see: ffx's main) if that element is there. Thank you, any other good games to check out?

edit: oops, is it Tales of Graces?

No, it's Tales of symphonia blahblahblah

Seriously though, the main character is the most unlikable prick I've ever seen in a game (and I liked Lloyd), and the lady character isn't bad. It's got this whole pokemon-eqsue monster capture element to it that's not bad but the reason I really couldn't get into the game is that the whole story (or at least the first 2 hours because I gave up after that) is basically meeting up with a character from the first game, having them in your party for like 1-2 dungeons and then leaving to meet another one.

Maybe it picks up or gets better after the first little bit, I couldn't tell you. If you can rent it somewhere I'd do that and see whether or not you like it before you buy.

Edit: I meant symphonia not phantasia well if you don't like Tales of Symphonia, do NOT get the sequel

And if you haven't played it, I'd recommend Tales of Symphonia, it's a tales game, and it's a pretty good time.

Trollologist fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 21, 2011

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose

Trollologist posted:

And if you haven't played it, I'd recommend Tales of Symphonia, it's a tales game, and it's a pretty good time.

Cool. Phantasia's the only Tales game I've played, I'll definitely start with the earlier ones.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

And am looking for something less horror-driven and more horror-rooted. Not something that will make me jump and swear, but something that will root into my head and make me paranoid at a future date.

Check out Pathologic. It's not a horror genre game but it has a unique and foreboding atmosphere to suck you in, along with some sinister and disturbing elements, and a lot of story to think about. It is essentially videogames theatre. You arrive in a decaying town having chosen one of three characters to play, and go about exploring and interacting with the inhabitants. Each day lasts a few hours and at the end of it the game judges your actions. By way of a play within the play.

The writing is what keeps it interesting, it varies in quality of translation from Russian but that just works in its favour. Like the rest of the game it's either clunky or charming depending on your tolerance for offbeat game design. The action is mostly along the lines of travelling around the town, so it's not particularly exciting in that respect but you stick at it for the story. And, well, the whole game is a bit of a strange egg which is why it's hard to recommend anyway outright, but which also deserves mentioning to everyone. If it's available for $15 or less I'd jump at it.

Demo here.

Anyone interested might read John Walker's piece on it at Eurogamer at the time.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.
I'm looking for PC (or emulatable) games that have a strong sense of character progression and choice in how to progress the character, and for that character progression to have a strong impact on gameplay and/or aesthetics. Ideally this game would absolutely drown me in choice and have many viable options.

Genre doesn't matter, but I'd prefer something action-RPGish. Basically, I just want a lot of choices in skill/stat allocation, traits, whatever, as well as gear that I collect or something similar. I want to feel like I am actually in control of the way my character looks as well as they way they work in combat, with new customization options to unlock or find as the game goes on, be they spells and skills, new clothes, whatever.

Good examples:
Fable 1 (Exp attribution changed what character looked like, lots of choices of armor, weapons, etc. Lots of player control over what the character is good at)
Diablo 2 (Tons of cool loot to collect as well as skillpoint allocation radically altering the way a character is played)
Dawn of War II Campaign (Units level up, spend attribute points, and select wargear)
Arcanum (An overwhelming number of ways to progress your character, from melee to bows, magic to guns and technology, building pet clockwork spiders, whatever)

Bad examples:
Fable 3 (All of the cool character-building stuff from the first one is gone and replaced with weapons that change what they look like based on what you do, and nothing else)
Every Diablo 2 Clone (I've never met one that does loot anywhere near as well as Diablo 2 did, but I can't figure out why)
Infinity Engine games (every character ends up feeling same-y to me and there's not enough action for me)

I don't know why I like this so much in games but I've been realizing that every game that I really enjoy has a character that I am constantly making choices about straight through to the end.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I've been in the hunt for a good JRPG as of late. I don't know the exact elements that constitute the ones I like, but I do certainly have plenty of examples of the ones I enjoyed.

Final Fantasy V
Chrono Trigger
Earthbound
Super Mario RPG
Mother 3
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Wild ARMs
The World Ends With You
Mario & Luigi 3: Bowser's Inside Story
Infinite Space

Here are ones that I didn't really like that much for whatever reason. I'm kinda picky!

Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy VI
Basically all of the other PS1 JRPGs
All the Dragon Quests
All the other DS ones I've tried

Here are some I've tried but never finished. Should I go back to them?

Suikoden I/II
Phantasy Star IV
Skies of Arcadia
Secret of Mana

Thanks for any input!

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose

Philip Rivers posted:

I've been in the hunt for a good JRPG as of late. I don't know the exact elements that constitute the ones I like, but I do certainly have plenty of examples of the ones I enjoyed.

I was just recommended the 'Tales of' games, and the more I think about it the more I remember really loving the one that I played back in the day, the battle system was especially cool (I've heard it described as 'fighting-game lite'). Were I you, I would start with one of the modern ones (Symphonia, Vesperia, Graces, etc), but if you wanna kick it oldschool Phantasia is a good game, too.

I also really recommend finishing Secret of Mana. I listed my fav RPGs on the bottom of the last page, and that was right at the top. Good luck!

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

I'm looking for PC (or emulatable) games that have a strong sense of character progression and choice in how to progress the character, and for that character progression to have a strong impact on gameplay and/or aesthetics. Ideally this game would absolutely drown me in choice and have many viable options.

Genre doesn't matter, but I'd prefer something action-RPGish. Basically, I just want a lot of choices in skill/stat allocation, traits, whatever, as well as gear that I collect or something similar. I want to feel like I am actually in control of the way my character looks as well as they way they work in combat, with new customization options to unlock or find as the game goes on, be they spells and skills, new clothes, whatever.

Good examples:
Fable 1 (Exp attribution changed what character looked like, lots of choices of armor, weapons, etc. Lots of player control over what the character is good at)
Diablo 2 (Tons of cool loot to collect as well as skillpoint allocation radically altering the way a character is played)
Dawn of War II Campaign (Units level up, spend attribute points, and select wargear)
Arcanum (An overwhelming number of ways to progress your character, from melee to bows, magic to guns and technology, building pet clockwork spiders, whatever)

Bad examples:
Fable 3 (All of the cool character-building stuff from the first one is gone and replaced with weapons that change what they look like based on what you do, and nothing else)
Every Diablo 2 Clone (I've never met one that does loot anywhere near as well as Diablo 2 did, but I can't figure out why)
Infinity Engine games (every character ends up feeling same-y to me and there's not enough action for me)

I don't know why I like this so much in games but I've been realizing that every game that I really enjoy has a character that I am constantly making choices about straight through to the end.

I feel like I recommend this game alot, but Alpha Protocol sounds like what you're looking for. There's an LP of it going if you want to get a look at how it plays.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
^^ Listen to this man. Alpha Protocol is one of the best games I've ever played.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

So, I'm in the mood for a game with a very creepy, oppressing tone to it. I played through Sutef and Eversion, and that's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. Something that, when initially displayed to you, doesn't seem so bad and then you descend into the abyss (or, alternatively, just get shoved into it)

Bonus points of its freeware, but if it isn't then I'm cool with that.

Just to knock out these suggestions ahead of time, I've already played:

Siren ___
Fatal Frame ___
Silent Hill ___
Resident Evil ___

Amnesia the dark descent brutally atmospheric and terrifying. Also if you can find it eternal darkness on the gamecube.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
Played both of those :\ forgot to include them.

Also played Penumbra as well.

Really I've played most mainstream horror games. :\ I'm looking for something different and twisted.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

blakout posted:

Amnesia the dark descent brutally atmospheric and terrifying. Also if you can find it eternal darkness on the gamecube.

Eternal Darkness was really hosed up. Some of the best implementation of the "Sanity" mechanic in any horror videogame. If you own a Wii you should pick it up and a gamecube pad/memory card. Fantastic game.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Trollologist posted:

FFX: Lord of the rings edition
Fun game, and I like the new improved title.

unSavory
Sep 26, 2004
fellow
I like Team Fortress 2 a lot. Like, really a lot. But the only computer I have right now is a crappy netbook and can't play. Is there something old that's similar (in gameplay, I realize the style and humor are pretty unique) that will run on ths little guy?

I tried team fortress classic, but it just seemed sort of slow and bland. I want something fast paced, team-oriented, and class based.I'd even settle for a mod as long as there's a decent following.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

unSavory posted:

I like Team Fortress 2 a lot. Like, really a lot. But the only computer I have right now is a crappy netbook and can't play. Is there something old that's similar (in gameplay, I realize the style and humor are pretty unique) that will run on ths little guy?

I tried team fortress classic, but it just seemed sort of slow and bland. I want something fast paced, team-oriented, and class based.I'd even settle for a mod as long as there's a decent following.

Maybe Pirates, Vikings, and Knights II? It's a Half-Life 2 mod. I don't know if it'll run on your netbook but it's super fun and class-based.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.

unSavory posted:

TFC is much faster paced than TF2, so I'm not sure if you were playing on a server with weird settings or something. I mean I don't want to start an argument here but TF2 is practically TFC slowed down with some features (like grenades) removed and dressup hats added.

I'm not sure what your computer can run, there's Fortress Forever which was basically TFC ported to the Source engine, I always liked it much more than TF2 but if you didn't like TFC you probably won't like FF either.

I don't think you're going to find many other class-based multiplayer FPS, since it's a genre that didn't really exist until TFC, and wasn't replicated well until TF2. There are a lot of great new games that fit the criteria (Project 8, Brink, etc) but they wouldn't run on a netbook.

There's Enemy Territory which is probably the only class-based FPS you'll find that might work on a netbook (but I'm not even sure about that). It was fun as hell though, I'm not sure if Brink's release killed off the community or not (since Brink is an updated Enemy Territory by the same dudes with a new setting)

There's also Quake Live which isn't class-based but is (I think... I've never played it or the game it was based on :kiddo: ) a fast-paced multiplayer FPS

Category Fun! posted:

I feel like I recommend this game alot, but Alpha Protocol sounds like what you're looking for. There's an LP of it going if you want to get a look at how it plays.

This is a good suggestion - but I forgot to mention that I played through it 4 times in a row right when it came out :sweatdrop:

Blunt Force Trauma fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 22, 2011

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

Really I've played most mainstream horror games. :\ I'm looking for something different and twisted.

If you have a Wii or a GameCube you should give Eternal Darkness a shot, that game managed to creep me out in ways that RE and Silent Hill never could. New copies are ridiculously priced, but you can pickup new ones around 20 bucks.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I'm looking for a good platformer for PC, preferrably with a million collectibles, multiple characters, stuff like that.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010

Elswyyr posted:

I'm looking for a good platformer for PC, preferrably with a million collectibles, multiple characters, stuff like that.

Super Meat Boy is awesome and sounds like what you'd be after.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

SmokinDan posted:

Super Meat Boy is awesome and sounds like what you'd be after.

I've beaten it already, but it hasn't really got collectibles apart from the bandages, and they're more like an extra challenge in a level. I'm thinking collectibles like in Lego Star Wars, Donkey Kong Country, that kind of thing.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I love games where there are hundreds of levels, unlockables (optional), and some kind of progression (even if it's upgrades or achievements, or 'mastering a level'). An exploring/cave theme is pretty awesome, too, but I'm not picky. Just lots of levels, and puzzle/action in there to some degree.

Here are some examples that fit the theme I'm going for:

1.) Dr. Lunatic Supreme w/ Cheese.
http://hamumu.com/game.php?game=DRLSUP
Another game exactly like this would be so ideal. I'm just not sure there are any. Suggestions?

2.) Chip's Challenge
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip%27s_Challenge
Close, but not quite. Still, it's the idea I'm going for, sort of. (Lots of levels, I guess? Bad example, sort of)

3.) SubTerra
http://crystalshard.net/subdown.htm
I'm sure some of you have played this. Hundreds of levels, puzzle/action. It's pretty good. No achievements or goals aside from beating all the levels, which is a con, but still, close.

4.) DROD (Deadly Rooms of Death)
http://caravelgames.com/Articles/Games_2/TCB.html
Holy crap this game. Perfect example.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd love to hear them. I wish I had more examples, but my initial description may inspire someone to give me a suggestion or two, I hope. (Old games are just fine, too) Thanks!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Elswyyr posted:

I've beaten it already, but it hasn't really got collectibles apart from the bandages, and they're more like an extra challenge in a level. I'm thinking collectibles like in Lego Star Wars, Donkey Kong Country, that kind of thing.

LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean just came out.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
I'm looking for something pretty particular, a ship strategy game, preferably sci-fi. For a good idea of what I want, think Gratuitous Space Battles but actually interactive. Starfarer looks like pretty much exactly it, but it's in very early alpha at the moment and I'd like something with some kind of storyline...

unSavory
Sep 26, 2004
fellow

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

There's Enemy Territory which is probably the only class-based FPS you'll find that might work on a netbook (but I'm not even sure about that). It was fun as hell though, I'm not sure if Brink's release killed off the community or not (since Brink is an updated Enemy Territory by the same dudes with a new setting)

Thanks, Enemy Territory is just what I needed. Runs great actually, and there seem to be a good amount of servers to play on.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a game like League of Legends/Heroes of Newerth/DotA, but PvE instead of PvP?

I was thinking about this the other day, and the more I ponder the idea the more I like it. In the arena battle games mentioned above, you're basically playing a very small RPG; you build your character, level up, etc. It's like the PvP areas of MMO's, but you don't grind your character beforehand. You do all of your character development in little 30-45 minute self-contained games.

I would really like the same concept to be applied to the raid dungeons of MMO's - You get your group together, everyone picks characters, and you go through a dungeon together, building your characters as you go, and complete the whole challenge in a few minutes.

I'm guessing there has to be a game like that out there already.

stringy
Jul 9, 2004
Cap'n

Philip Rivers posted:

Some of the JRPGs I enjoyed the most more recently were.

Radiata Stories
(a lot of things in this game made me laugh, it felt like Tri-Ace actually had fun making this game. Lot's of general dickery and non-sense. Don't be put off by how the main character looks, he acts like a complete jerk at times. It seemed like a pretty care-free game. You can pick from tons of characters for your party once you befriend them. The entire game has night and day cycles and just about everyone has their own schedules)

Riviera on GBA
(haven't played the psp port, I really liked how the game felt, it was like an adventure game meets jrpg. Really enjoyed micro managing item usage and exploring/finding new things.)

Summon Night 1 on GBA
(Battle system is kinda like a tales of game but no where near as good. I really enjoyed traveling down into the games main dungeon and collecting materials to make things.)

And I really would recommend giving all of those games you tried but never finished another chance. Maybe skip Suikoden 1. I'd suggest starting with Secret of Mana, and then move on to Skies of Arcadia.

Also have you tried Paper Mario on n64? Also as mentioned above I'm seconding the Tales of series. Symphonia is pretty good (the gamecube one) and I really loved Tales of Destiny 2 on ps1 (Tales of Eternia outside of the states).

I know you mentioned trying most of the ps1 rpgs. But have you tried games like Alundra, Grandia 1, Lunar Silver Star Story Complete? I highly recommend those. Also Grandia 2 isn't that bad either but that's a Dreamcast/PS2/PC game.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Any recommendations for single player junk I can play on a kind of crappy laptop or ds? I need something to kill time during flights waiting around, or when I'm away from an internet connect. I have steam for the moment.

At the moment I have harvest moon and rune factory 2 for the ds and only really have dwarf fortress on my laptop. I'm going to see if I can get a copy of alpha centauri and the sequel if I can, and try to find my copy of dungeon keeper 2. Maybe there are some megaman x games for the ds?

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.

Smoove J posted:

Mediocre
Demons Souls
KOTOR 1 & 2
Final Fantasy 1-12
Grandia 2
Terranigma
Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

No Good
Mass Effect
Fable
Planescape Torment
Chrono Trigger
Dragon Age

Your inability to enjoy some of the best games ever makes me sad for you :smith:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Synnr posted:

Any recommendations for single player junk I can play on a kind of crappy laptop or ds? I need something to kill time during flights waiting around, or when I'm away from an internet connect. I have steam for the moment.

At the moment I have harvest moon and rune factory 2 for the ds and only really have dwarf fortress on my laptop. I'm going to see if I can get a copy of alpha centauri and the sequel if I can, and try to find my copy of dungeon keeper 2. Maybe there are some megaman x games for the ds?

Alpha Centauri's a great choice.

Here's what's on my netbook: http://www.gog.com/en/mix/30_minutes_a_cup_of_coffee_and_a_netbook

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Synnr posted:

Since you like Dwarf Fortress, I'm going to go ahead and suggest the obvious: roguelikes. I always have the latest build of Dungeon Crawl on my laptop, it's saved me so much boredom while waiting around for clients and such.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose

Jadz posted:

Your inability to enjoy some of the best games ever makes me sad for you :smith:

Proverb: it takes all kinds to make a world :o:

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed
I'm looking for a multiplayer game with a decent goon presence. Terraria wasn't fun and neither is Space Station 13, but a free game would be best.

Billy Bob FORTRAN
Nov 4, 2007

*THIS IS*
*HOW A*
*SOLDIER*
*~LIVES~*

:qqsay:
Can anyone recommend any low-fantasy games, or at least ones that aren't very Tolkieny? Game of Thrones has gotten my blood up, and I'm pumped to stab dudes in the eyes and neck. A good story is definitely a plus, but I can't expect Shakespeare.

Morrowind is probably my favorite RPG of all time, and I haven't been able to bring myself to finish the Witcher, so they're out.

Cray
Dec 3, 2010

Billy Bob FORTRAN posted:

Can anyone recommend any low-fantasy games, or at least ones that aren't very Tolkieny? Game of Thrones has gotten my blood up, and I'm pumped to stab dudes in the eyes and neck. A good story is definitely a plus, but I can't expect Shakespeare.

Morrowind is probably my favorite RPG of all time, and I haven't been able to bring myself to finish the Witcher, so they're out.

How about Mount & Blade? It has no story except your own but the setting is pseudohistorical and there is a lot of stabbing. As the name implies, horseback stabbery is particularly satisfying.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Smoove J posted:

Proverb: it takes all kinds to make a world :o:

It sure doesn't take sick people who think Xenogears is a better game than PS:T. Half the game is missing! :argh:

Anyway, have you played the Shadow Hearts games? I haven't played played the first one but really liked the sequel Shadow Hearts: Covenant. I didn't feel like I was missing out by not having played the first game but it continues the story from it so you might want to check that out first (at least in LP form).

It's set in an alternate-past World War I and has a pretty dark storyline with demons, death, loss and all that sad stuff. It doesn't take itself too seriously though and it has a lot of humor. Oh and you get bonus stuff by gathering gay porn for a vendor. And one of your guys is an creepy old man who plays dress-up with a life-sized doll...

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Arx Fatalis? It's not Tolkieny, as far as I can remember, but it is magicky.

The Gothic series is hard to get into (mostly due to controls), but there are only humans and orcs, and everything is presented very grimly.

Demon Souls for some dark fantasy, dragons and magic, and such, but a hosed up world and death everywhere.

Darklands is an old PC game that takes place in a european-style world with some low magic. I haven't played it before, but it gets a good amount of praise around here.

Oh and when it comes to ripping a guy's arm off and beating him to death with it, Rune, an oldish PC game about vikings is a good choice.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Mount & Blade: Warband, as someone mentioned, is a lot of fun. Though I should say it's fun because of being able to lead hundreds of dudes into combat not really because it's a low-fantasy game. It has a demo you can try out so if you're on the fence, give it a go.

That said Demon Souls, as recommended, is a superb low-fantasy game. It's actually dark and gritty with a ton of character customization in terms of combat style. And when I say it's gritty it actually is, not like Dragon Age where they just take regular fantasy, throw in blood and say it's gritty. I don't think any other game has me feeling like I'm going deep into a cave filled with the putrid vileness of Hell's worth demons than Demon's Souls.

Additionally you could try Viking: Battle for Asgard. Honestly it is pretty Tolkein-esqe but the combat is a ton of fun. It's got some pretty big flaws but for a go-to viking game that isn't a decade old (Rune) it can't be beat (mostly because there is no competition :( ). I only recommend it because you can probably pick it up used for $10 or less.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I want a game with a crafting system, super in-depth stuff. Attaching attributes to weapons with crafting ingredients, adding more damage at the cost of other stuff, whatever, crafting trees, whatever. Something more complex then, say, Dead Rising 2's crafting. Almost any platform, just barring the more obscure stuff like Dreamcast or Saturn.

I already know about Two Worlds...nothing much else comes to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Morpheus posted:

I want a game with a crafting system, super in-depth stuff. Attaching attributes to weapons with crafting ingredients, adding more damage at the cost of other stuff, whatever, crafting trees, whatever. Something more complex then, say, Dead Rising 2's crafting. Almost any platform, just barring the more obscure stuff like Dreamcast or Saturn.

I already know about Two Worlds...nothing much else comes to mind.

Vagrant Story sounds exaclty like what you're looking for. Old Square RPG with a huge focus on an interesting combat system with a crafting system of absolutely insane depth. I don't think any of the weapons worth using in the game can be gotten without crafting them.