Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Don't want to sound preachy, but for Nierbo/anyone else competing for the first time, just remember to relax and have fun. No point in doing it if you're not enjoying yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

SimonNotGarfunkel posted:

Hi guys.

Anyone planning to go to ADCC in Nottingham, UK in September?

The only info on tickets I can find is http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=131641353574376 from a company called Masaru Fight Co. but I have no idea what the prices range from and which matches are taking place when.

In case I can't make both days, any idea which day the Bravo/Gracie match is taking place?

I called and ordered three tickets today. They are £40 for standard seats, £50 for enhanced seats (rows 7 to ~20) and £75 for premium seats (rows 2 to 6). The tickets are on pre-sale right now at a first-come-first-serve basis after which they will be sold by the venue itself, http://www.nottingham-arena.com

edit
Oh and this is what the arena looks like:

Opal fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 20, 2011

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

the periodic fable posted:

edit
Oh and this is what the arena looks like:

And this is what it'll look like on the day of the tournament

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

fatherdog posted:

And this is what it'll look like on the day of the tournament

Come on, there will be like 5 girlfriends in the stands. Maybe even 6.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
The last time a ton of people showed up to watch ADCC was when it was held in Long Beach. Obviously ADCC should join the Mundials and Pan Ams in Socal every year.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

dokomoy posted:

The last time a ton of people showed up to watch ADCC was when it was held in Long Beach. Obviously ADCC should join the Mundials and Pan Ams in Socal every year.

A ton of high as gently caress dudes watching grappling sounds like more fun than any grappling tournament I've ever been to

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Thread killed by Bohemian Nights hah.

So tonights my grading I assume. I can't compete as a white belt and the comp is on the weekend so it sort of has to be I guess. Lets see if he remembers.

edit: Nope. registration for the comp ended on sunday and sensei didn't fax mine in, so no point in being graded now as I won't be competing anyway. I'm trying very hard not to loving blow my lid over this. Thanks to everyone for the competition tips. Your advice is not lost on me.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 23, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nierbo posted:

So tonights my grading I assume. I can't compete as a white belt and the comp is on the weekend so it sort of has to be I guess. Lets see if he remembers.

edit: Nope. registration for the comp ended on sunday and sensei didn't fax mine in, so no point in being graded now as I won't be competing anyway. I'm trying very hard not to loving blow my lid over this. Thanks to everyone for the competition tips. Your advice is not lost on me.

They aren't accepting registration at the door?

Also, I can totally understand if it is a club policy that you can't compete as a white belt, but would your instructor not allow you to compete anyways if he knows you just haven't graded yet, but are competent?

I dunno how it works south of the equator, but in the US you just have to have someone who is a registered black belt sign off on your registration form saying that you know the rules and aren't likely to hurt yourself, rank doesn't matter.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Thoguh posted:

I dunno how it works south of the equator, but in the US you just have to have someone who is a registered black belt sign off on your registration form saying that you know the rules and aren't likely to hurt yourself, rank doesn't matter.

Or if you want to do a bjj/sub wrestling tournament, just throw a wadded up ball of cash at them and know how to read well enough to select your division and put your mark.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Nierbo posted:

They discourage white belts from competing at your school?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

OrangeCrush posted:

They discourage white belts from competing at your school?

Reminder that this is for Judo not BJJ so white is only the really beginning beginners

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Thoguh posted:

Also, I can totally understand if it is a club policy that you can't compete as a white belt, but would your instructor not allow you to compete anyways if he knows you just haven't graded yet, but are competent?
Yeah I can understand not letting white belts compete too, but he said he'd grade me to yellow before the tournament so I could compete in the novice division (which is full of yellow belts) which he didn't do. We just hosed around learning stupid poo poo for the past few lessons. Before that we had some one on one time with some high level guys and me and another white belt were told we would be given lots of help with the first 8 throws so we can pass grading and have our first comp then it just dissapeared and nothing came of it. Sorry to bother everyone.

e: And yes Thoguh, I'm competent enough to compete with other yellow belts, if only just. What got me upset is that if this was one of the popular students, it would never have been forgotten, but because I'm humble and nice and don't suck the instructors' dicks and chat to them on facebook I'm not really a priority. Guess I'll just keep on truckin.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 23, 2011

Rids!
Aug 20, 2006

picture this if you will...
FYI your sensei is a dork.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Come over to the BJJ dark side where instructors basically never promise anything and you expect them to forget anyway because they're Brazillians and therefore too busy thinking about having a surf to remember anything other than BJJ techniques. (This is a good thing. Chilled out instructors own.)

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Smegmatron posted:

Come over to the BJJ dark side where instructors basically never promise anything and you expect them to forget anyway because they're Brazillians and therefore too busy thinking about having a surf to remember anything other than BJJ techniques. (This is a good thing. Chilled out instructors own.)
I've been thinking about it for a while, but I can't afford it and plus I'd feel like I sort of failed if I left Judo before I had a really good understanding of at least the basics. When I have more money, that will be the first cross training I do though so that way I can have the best of both worlds, if my body lets me. I used to think grappling was super gay and I was like 'pfft, boxing is the only manly sport, screw this takedown nonsense' but now I don't think I'll ever train any striking again. When I watch MMA, I'm like 'for fucks sake, stop punching each other, get him to the ground'.

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.
Guys with judo backgrounds in predominately jiu jitsu tournaments are awesome. There's always that dude who spends the day tossing blue belts and then getting submitted, but all anybody ever remembers are the sweet, sweet throws.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nierbo posted:

I'm competent enough to compete with other yellow belts, if only just. What got me upset is that if this was one of the popular students, it would never have been forgotten, but because I'm humble and nice and don't suck the instructors' dicks and chat to them on facebook I'm not really a priority. Guess I'll just keep on truckin.

Did you mention it to him? It might have honestly just slipped his mind. I know we've had guys we have forgotten to grade before. Is anybody else who joined at about the same time competing?

At least in my club, and the clubs I've worked with in the past for guys with no Wrestling/BJJ background we usually expect a month or two before competing. For guys with a Wrestling/BJJ background we just expect them to have been there long enough to have learned the rules.

On a sadder note, my Judo club is taking the summer off because none of the black belts could commit to teaching every night (I have class half the nights we work out and know I'll be on travel for work for about a month this summer, so I couldn't). So it's BJJ or bust for me until September. I needed to work on my ground game anyways, I suppose.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Grab Your Foot! posted:

Guys with judo backgrounds in predominately jiu jitsu tournaments are awesome. There's always that dude who spends the day tossing blue belts and then getting submitted, but all anybody ever remembers are the sweet, sweet throws.

Ahhh, the Tin Cup stratagem. Works every time! It's true, land a big throw, and everyone will remember you for pinwheeling dude onto their head.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Thoguh posted:

Did you mention it to him? It might have honestly just slipped his mind. I know we've had guys we have forgotten to grade before. Is anybody else who joined at about the same time competing?

At least in my club, and the clubs I've worked with in the past for guys with no Wrestling/BJJ background we usually expect a month or two before competing. For guys with a Wrestling/BJJ background we just expect them to have been there long enough to have learned the rules.

On a sadder note, my Judo club is taking the summer off because none of the black belts could commit to teaching every night (I have class half the nights we work out and know I'll be on travel for work for about a month this summer, so I couldn't). So it's BJJ or bust for me until September. I needed to work on my ground game anyways, I suppose.
He came to me and offered me the grading and invited me and the other white belt (who started the exact same day as me) to compete. I've calmed down a bit now, there'll be other competitions I guess. I've been there for about 8 months now.
Sucks about your club. Hope something changes soon.

Gorefluff
Aug 19, 2004
cuddly minotaur
Is it typical for BJJ schools to charge a "sign up" fee? School near me has Marcus Soares as the head instructor, and it's a name I recognize so that's a plus, but they want a $100 sign-up fee as well as $80/month. Pretty drat steep if it turned out I either hate it or am not cut out for it in a month or so. Also, he's got several schools around the area that have classes on different days, but the guy I talked to seemed kind of hesitant on if the monthly fee gives you access to all of them. Is it normal for your monthly fee to give you kind of an all-access pass to all the schools under one banner, or are they waffling to see if I'm dumb enough to pay 2x the monthly fee so I can train an extra day or two during the week?

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
Take a free week and see if you like it.

I haven't had to pay a signup fee before, but i think my school is doing one now. Also, Marcus is sick and is probably the best instructor in the city.

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.
Yeah, any decent school should have a trial period before you're expected to commit to anything financially. I don't know anything about the schools up there but everything seems fine, personally I'm glad I'm not at a school that's part of a larger affiliation but I doubt it makes much difference. Schools will sometimes charge different rates depending on how often you attend, so that's not so out of the ordinary.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nierbo posted:

Sucks about your club. Hope something changes soon.

Yeah, kind of sucks because we have several black belts, but we've been hit hard by graduations and guys retiring this past semester. While we have 4 black belts left, we all have to travel and/or stay late for work. Which means none of us can make a firm commitment to be there to teach on a regular basis. Hopefully by the time fall semester starts up we'll have it figured out.

Worst case I'll just teach a standup class one day a week for BJJ, and drive across the state to my old college club once or twice a month, so it's not the end of the world. I'd been hoping to get ready for my Nidan testing this summer though. So that is going to set me back.

Gorefluff posted:

Is it typical for BJJ schools to charge a "sign up" fee? School near me has Marcus Soares as the head instructor, and it's a name I recognize so that's a plus, but they want a $100 sign-up fee as well as $80/month.

Regretably that's pretty standard for BJJ in the US.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 24, 2011

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Gorefluff posted:

Is it typical for BJJ schools to charge a "sign up" fee? School near me has Marcus Soares as the head instructor, and it's a name I recognize so that's a plus, but they want a $100 sign-up fee as well as $80/month. Pretty drat steep if it turned out I either hate it or am not cut out for it in a month or so. Also, he's got several schools around the area that have classes on different days, but the guy I talked to seemed kind of hesitant on if the monthly fee gives you access to all of them. Is it normal for your monthly fee to give you kind of an all-access pass to all the schools under one banner, or are they waffling to see if I'm dumb enough to pay 2x the monthly fee so I can train an extra day or two during the week?

Mine charged $120 to sign up but that included the cost of my gi as well as some other bits and pieces. They also offered me two weeks free of charge to make sure I liked it before I paid a single cent. Two weeks is maybe a little more generous than most, but if they aren't prepared to let you train for a week free of charge with no obligations, they probably aren't very good.

Do they only offer the flat rate for classes? My place has the flat rate as well as a per lesson option which is pre-paid 10 at a time and some discounts here and there for kids, students and so on. If you train more than once a week the flat rate is way, way cheaper (works out to about $7 a session for me).

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Smegmatron posted:

hahaha yes

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Thoguh posted:

Regretably that's pretty standard for BJJ in the US.

Everywhere. BJJ is really expensive in Australia too. My coach says it cost him a similar amount when he was training in Brazil.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Neurosis posted:

Everywhere. BJJ is really expensive in Australia too. My coach says it cost him a similar amount when he was training in Brazil.

Yeah, I assumed it was a worldwide thing, but I haven't trained outside the US so can't speak for non-US experiences for the most part. Plus you never know where a new poster in the thread is from.

widunder
May 2, 2002
for 400 bucks per semester, i get three classes per day of bjj plus three cf classes per week. bb instructor. Sweden is cheap for martial arts, with bjj probably being one of the most expensive one. my friend pays like 100 for boxing with a similar package.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

nemoulette posted:

three cf classes per week.

Pretend I don't know what "cf' means.

Rids!
Aug 20, 2006

picture this if you will...
The first thing that comes to mind is Cystic Fibrosis but it's probably Cross-Fit.

Gorefluff
Aug 19, 2004
cuddly minotaur
Just had my first class today. It was actually $120/month but does give me access to all the different gyms that hold classes different days of the week, so essentially I could train 7 days a week, twice a day on certain days if I had the energy and could fit my work schedule around it. Going to be expensive to start up with the extra registration fee and gi, but he said he'd let me roll the end of May into my June payment, so that's like 3-4 free classes I guess. The gym was also an undecorated hole-in-the-wall in an industrial block of warehouses, machinery outlets and metal fabricators, so it felt like the real deal.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

Gorefluff posted:

Just had my first class today. It was actually $120/month but does give me access to all the different gyms that hold classes different days of the week, so essentially I could train 7 days a week, twice a day on certain days if I had the energy and could fit my work schedule around it. Going to be expensive to start up with the extra registration fee and gi, but he said he'd let me roll the end of May into my June payment, so that's like 3-4 free classes I guess. The gym was also an undecorated hole-in-the-wall in an industrial block of warehouses, machinery outlets and metal fabricators, so it felt like the real deal.

As someone who just started a couple of months ago, my biggest piece of advice is to not get discouraged by getting tossed around like a rag doll, even if the last session you had was good and you managed to do something cool like pass someone's guard or get a lucky submission. Improvement comes really slowly and gradually. You probably won't notice it until somebody new shows up in a few months and you roll with them. If you feel discouraged or go into a slump a few months in, push through it and you'll thank yourself later.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Rids! posted:

The first thing that comes to mind is Cystic Fibrosis but it's probably Cross-Fit.
Yeah, crossfit, was on the cell, sorry.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Roger's not competing at worlds.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

bummer.

So, any goonies goin? watching or competing? details about your weight and preparation so far etc. I know theres gotta be some serious guys on here?

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

OrangeCrush posted:

bummer.

So, any goonies goin? watching or competing? details about your weight and preparation so far etc. I know theres gotta be some serious guys on here?

I thought about competing at worlds, but my last final is on the Thursday worlds start. So I would have either had to compete the same day or the day after I finish finals and that sounded way to stressful(also I'm a giant baby and don't want to compete anymore until i get to 181). I'm probably going to go watch Saturday and Sunday though, for those of you not in socal Budovideos is streaming so you can still watch.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
This is my last week at Marcelo Garcia's before I head back home to Norway (after a brief detour to florida) so I've made sure to train every day, and man, I wish that was an option back home. It does kind of dominate your entire evening, but it hurts so good-- and I feel like I'm learning more, too.

Oh welp. Three times a week will have to do. :(

unf
Mar 6, 2004

http://twitter.com/#!/jakeshieldsajj/status/73833588096897024 posted:

Doing some boxing, then putting on a Gi to help Nick and Nate get ready for the World's.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
Old but good. Bicep slicers aren't just pain moves folks. http://youtu.be/bYY8tJeoLVY

I used to train with the kid doing the breaking. The other guy was bragging about his pain tolerance before hand. I admit, I'd have been freaking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Apparently the UFC is letting Nate fight in the Mundials but not Nick. Maybe there's something in the works.