Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

flying circus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I agree. In many ways Flying Circus does owe it's success to Seinfeld.

Vicar of Dibley and Shittas Empire were both dire, just to clear that up.

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."

Pablo Bluth posted:

We must start keepinga proper list of recommended programmes, rather than trying to remember everything each time it gets asked.

No this way is better, each time we come out with slightly different stuff.

15 Stories High
Snuff Box
Monkey Dust
People Like Us

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

Despite the hilarious datedness now I still enjoy The Young Ones and Filthy, Rich and Catflap.

Also some episodes of Bottom.

Filthy, Rich and Catflap is an underrated treasure. It's a shame it didn't get the reception it deserved, although it ends in a pretty good place.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Seconding this one, Catterick really is something very special. Reece Shearsmith is so good at playing psychos. Also, it's the only (?) Vic and Bob things which doesn't use incredibly shoddy production as a joke, so looks nice for a change.

I was at the Psychoville Halloween Special premiere at the BFI, and they did a panel with him and some others, hosted by Richard Bacon. It's funny, you expect Reese to be more like Ben, the normal guy in The League of Gentlemen, but he is absolutely Mr Jelly. The way he snaps between affable and bitter with his whole persona and voice changing is brilliant (and a little scary) to watch.

boner meter
Apr 27, 2006
I AM A SMUG ASSHOLE WHO BELIEVES IN RACIST PROPAGANDA. I DESERVE ONLY RIDICULE.
Am I wrong for thinking Time Trumpet and the AI Show were great?

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

boner meter posted:

No, I only saw one episode of Time Trumpet, but I liked it.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Seconding Brass Eye and The Day Today, both utterly hilarious and also disturbingly relevant.

And yes Time Trumpet was excellent.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Category Fun! posted:

Personally I think Red Dwarf is really, really bad. It occasionally had good moments and I liked it alot when I was younger for some reason, but I can't watch it now. It certainly didn't help when they tried to make it more serialized and have an overarching story, since that just underlined how flimsy the whole thing was.

Red Dwarf when it's Lister and Rimmer hating each other and coming to terms with their situation is wonderful.

When it turns to them going off on silly sci-fi spoof adventures it gradually gets less good. Although it does have it's moments, with gradually declining frequency.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Is anyone watching geordie shore in 10 mins? It's sure to be interesting.
Shame I don't have MTV and there doesn't appear to be a stream.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

wickles posted:

No this way is better, each time we come out with slightly different stuff.

I think we should just troll the gently caress out of the Americans and recommend nothing but Two Pints of Lager :colbert:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Talking of sitoms, Lead Balloon finally returns for a 4th series on the 30th. The last new episode was Dec '08.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Rarity posted:

I think we should just troll the gently caress out of the Americans and recommend nothing but Two Pints of Lager :colbert:

Let's all take a moment to think about Coming of Age, it's BBC3 stablemate.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

boner meter posted:

Time Trumpet was brilliant. Might seem a bit dated now due to it talking about years that have already happened.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

A5H posted:

Is anyone watching geordie shore in 10 mins? It's sure to be interesting.
Shame I don't have MTV and there doesn't appear to be a stream.

I've been watching Made in Chelsea which is so catastrophically awful I can't stop.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Adam Curtis was awesome as usual, but he seemed to skip over why the sudden connection of computers should mean a new freedom of the individual, or why those people would have believed that. He covered the financial models, but the individual being connected just got mentioned and taken for granted as something that people believed, without much explanation.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Ben Soosneb posted:

Adam Curtis was awesome as usual, but he seemed to skip over why the sudden connection of computers should mean a new freedom of the individual, or why those people would have believed that. He covered the financial models, but the individual being connected just got mentioned and taken for granted as something that people believed, without much explanation.

I'm sure he'll cover that in the nex two episodes.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.
Am I the only British person that doesn't like Only Fools and Horses, Father Ted, Black Books and Red Dwarf?

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Zorba the Greek posted:

Am I the only British person that doesn't like Only Fools and Horses, Father Ted, Black Books and Red Dwarf?

Well I don't like OFaH, and RD, but the other two? You crazy.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Zorba the Greek posted:

Yes.

I've alerted the appropriate authorities and you are to be deported within the hour.

So what do you like then?

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

cloudchamber posted:

I'm sure he'll cover that in the nex two episodes.

Yeah. I hope so. Just wondering if anybody else thought it seemed a bit lacking. He normally goes into more depth on the philosophical points of view. He certainly did with Ayn Rand, even if to only point out she was wrong.

Zorba the Greek posted:

Dunno, I like some or all of them to different degrees, it seems a bit weird to list the ones that you don't like and ask if anybody else is exactly the same.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Zorba the Greek posted:

I'm quite fond of Father Ted but the rest range from mediocre to not good for me.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
All of Graham Linehan's sitcoms are the same, featuring irate Irishmen and silly-but-well-meaning sidekicks; Ted-Dougal, Bernie-Manny, Roy-Moss...

I like them all the same, but still.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Well... Geordie Shore was alright. Nothing on Jersey but a loving mile ahead of that Only Way Is Essex shite.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

NaDy posted:

Seconding Brass Eye and The Day Today, both utterly hilarious and also disturbingly relevant.

And yes Time Trumpet was excellent.
Pretty much everything involving Armando Ianucci is great. I can't think of anything he's done that isn't fantastically funny.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
The problem with shows like Blackadder and Red Dwarf is that I watched every episode over and over when I was young, so now I find it impossible to judge whether they are actually good or not.

When I watch them I can still remember every line and joke and so I get caught up in this weird mood of childhood nostalgia. Are they actually funny? I have no idea.

As far as British sitcoms that Americans might like, I have found that Spaced always goes down well, because it has a normal enough setting but still some pretty surreal comedy. Also most of its cultural references are to American movies or TV shows so there's not too much quirky British knowledge required.

I also like showing Americans Outnumbered because I think it is quite a nice look at an average middle-class British family. They usually love it, especially the little kids obviously.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
I still maintain that Allo, Allo! is one of the quintessential British sitcoms. It has the right amount of silly accents, men in dresses and innuendo for anyone not to find sone of it funny.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Nighty Night.
Jill Tyrell must be the most vile and unpleasant sitcom character ever created.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Curry and Chips is the most british thing.

Just caned the first three episodes of The Shadow Line. At first I thought it a mix of Luther and The Wire but it's now shaping up to be something a bit different, which I like.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

justcola posted:

Just caned the first three episodes of The Shadow Line. At first I thought it a mix of Luther and The Wire but it's now shaping up to be something a bit different, which I like.

It's brilliant but the only qualms i have are with the mystery guy with perfect knowledge.

He has to have access to some fancy gps tracking software or something else in order to have tracked that driver through the city as he gave him down to the second instructions.

Actually, the matrixy, coreographed fight scene was a little on the nose too. :/

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

justcola posted:

Curry and Chips is the most british thing.

Yikes, this looks like what would happen if they'd made Love Thy Neighbour with blackface.

What is it with Spike Milligan and Pakistanis?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

I still maintain that Allo, Allo! is one of the quintessential British sitcoms. It has the right amount of silly accents, men in dresses and innuendo for anyone not to find sone of it funny.

And recurring gags and catchphrases that it absolutely hammers into the molten core of the earth. And an ambiguously gay chap.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Bottom is brilliant and I still watch it anytime it's on.

gently caress Ade edmondson though. Seeing how much of a cock he was on the various reality tv programmes he's appeared on was awful.

I know, I know. It's just okay. But 8 year old me thought it was the best thing on TV

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer
While not a sitcom, I still think The Adam and Joe Show is a staple of 90s British humour.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
And their podcasts, which aren't particularly cutting or satirical, they are just fun

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Gorn Myson posted:

Yes.

I've alerted the appropriate authorities and you are to be deported within the hour.

So what do you like then?

To be honest, I'm not really into British Comedy unless it's like stand up or Peep show.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Ben Soosneb posted:

And their podcasts, which aren't particularly cutting or satirical, they are just fun
Oh absolutely, I got back into listening to them again recently and it just reinforces that they're two of the most naturally funny people I can think of.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

ChuckDHead posted:

Yikes, this looks like what would happen if they'd made Love Thy Neighbour with blackface.

What is it with Spike Milligan and Pakistanis?

He was an Anglo-Indian after all.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Isn't Joe from the Adam & joe Show a writer or producer on the new TinTin film?

Thrifting Day! fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 25, 2011

boner meter
Apr 27, 2006
I AM A SMUG ASSHOLE WHO BELIEVES IN RACIST PROPAGANDA. I DESERVE ONLY RIDICULE.

The Natural posted:

Isn't Joe from the Adam & joe Show a writer or producer on the new TinTin film?

Yup, along with Stephen Moffat and Edgar "Holy nerds, am I right guys!?" Wright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlantHead
Jan 2, 2004
Mary Whitehouse Experience
It was hilarious when I was a kid, anyone seen it recently and has it suffered from age?