Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010

tuyop posted:

Back in the reserves if I was just some kind of floating officer I would sometimes get my girlfriend to come pick me up and drive me back in the morning while we were on ex. I feel kind of guilty about it, actually.

TO? Was my TO a loving goon this whole time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010
So, I assume 2VP is already up to their nuts in sandbags? Anyone have any idea if 1CMBG is actually getting sent out tomorrow or if it's just a readiness drill?

Also, can this poo poo please loving stop? Since the beginning of workup training for 3-09 I've been away more than I've been home.

Thank god I'm getting out.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Morristron posted:

TO? Was my TO a loving goon this whole time?

I don't know what TO stands for, this was a reserve infantry regiment in Nova Scotia.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
---

swagger like us fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 1, 2013

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

swagger like us posted:

So, 5 years in infantry reservist ncm here (no tour yet). Finishing my degree up soon, been thinking of next steps. Am I retarded for considering CFRing?

Honestly, other than Mod 6 (failed last day, long story), being an NCM hasn't been that stimulating. I mean I love soldiering and all that, but I kind of liked planning and leading guys as a Section commander, and I like the mental sort of challenge it brings. Plus, look, lets be honest, no one in terms of jobs with degrees care about Infantry NCM experience.

Anyways, I'm thinking of putting the memo in soon. I'll probably have to be an Officer Cadet won't I until I finish Phase II/CAP/BMOQ-L? Kinda sucks, but I keep my Corporal pay right? Anyone here go this route got advice?

Talk to your local BPSO before you do any of this on your own.

I'm being commissioned July 1 for UTPNCM, but I'm reg force. I'm PLQ/QL6 qualified and about to be made PO2 (Sgt), so my sitch is pretty different. I'm going to be a 2LT until I finish school, then I'll get 1LT right away because of the PO2 - not that it matters much because I'll still be an unqualified retard, but pay will catch up faster I guess.

I keep my PO2 pay rate until the officer pay catches up.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
---

swagger like us fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 1, 2013

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Yeah, I have no real good advice to give because I think the way it's done in the reserves is pretty different and probably less formal, and you'll have a degree. And given the choice I don't think there are too many that would say some sort of CFR program is a poor decision - quality of life as an officer is almost universally better.

If there's any way to get your PLQ finished off in the meantime you should, because it's a pretty big deal to selection officers and boards (I'm told).

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
What are your guys thoughts on the Military Police route?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

What are your guys thoughts on the Military Police route?

I had a friend transfer from reserve artillery to reg force MP, she seemed to really enjoy her job. You've gotta be tough as nails I'd expect.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

swagger like us posted:

So, 5 years in infantry reservist ncm here (no tour yet). Finishing my degree up soon, been thinking of next steps. Am I retarded for considering CFRing?

Honestly, other than Mod 6 (failed last day, long story), being an NCM hasn't been that stimulating. I mean I love soldiering and all that, but I kind of liked planning and leading guys as a Section commander, and I like the mental sort of challenge it brings. Plus, look, lets be honest, no one in terms of jobs with degrees care about Infantry NCM experience.

Anyways, I'm thinking of putting the memo in soon. I'll probably have to be an Officer Cadet won't I until I finish Phase II/CAP/BMOQ-L? Kinda sucks, but I keep my Corporal pay right? Anyone here go this route got advice?

You failed Mod 6 and want to be an officer? Unless they were circumstances not associated with your course (like a DUI or something) this doesn't seem very appropriate.

As much as I love officer bashing, their phase training is pretty tough, especially compared to a joke course like the modern Mod 6 infantry.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
Came in to work today and saw a strange and unfamiliar sight: two Canadian submarines in decent-looking condition, side-by-side in the water. A momentous occasion for the Canadian Navy!

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.

swagger like us posted:

Well Im a reservist in a brigade with a BPSO 4 hours away from me, so I have no way of approaching him/her until it goes through my chain. I've informally talked it over with some of the officers in my chain of command and they said they would support it. My unit also has a lack of junior officers right now

3 Years ago as a Private I was going to do this, however I took it back after an attempt to CT to ROTP (which eventually I pulled out of due to lack of slots in the trade I wanted).

I have my PLQ Mods 1-5, plus the last 2 years I've been everything from an acting Section 2IC, to an acting section commander and put in charge of the PAT platoon.

Its a bit frustrating to know I have to start out the same rank as some guy off the street (and for the entire training year till CAP/Ph II) but oh well, its starting from the bottom so I dont really care.

Where did you do your mod 6?

Also, until you are warrant and above you don't do the job an officer does anyway, so there would be no reason for you to be a rank above anyone else in your phase training.

what trade do you want to go?

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
gently caress you week of heavy rain. Fffffffffffuck you. We're back to square one in some areas.

Other than that, fighting the floods so far has been rewarding (and very wet). Lots of "Aw Shucks" and "All In A Day's Work, Ma'am" to be had. Van Doos are still dicks. LCF irredeemably compromised in waist-high rubber gaiters.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

---

swagger like us fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 1, 2013

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.

swagger like us posted:

To be fair, I failed my Mod 6 after having 2 years experience in the Reserve Infantry. I got sent way too early in my career to be put on that course (for example, the 4th Recce i've ever even been on was on my Mod 6 patrol assessment). Literally, my career in the Reserve went, joined in fall, did weekend BMQ, went on summer training and did SQ+BIQ, next summer did a GD tasking, then the following summer did Mod 6 (did all my other mods during the year). I was also given no precourse prep by my unit either, and I failed on the last day due to a mix of technicalities and gently caress ups, so it wasnt straight up either. But, Im not blaming this on anything but my failures. I've learned a lot from those mistakes, and I've developed a lot as a leader I feel (I've been either a section commander or section 2IC every year since then anyways)

Ofcourse the phase training is tough, thats why Im pretty excited to do it. I'd rather do everything from scratch as an Officer for the challenge and experience. That being said if I get a chance to hop on another mod 6 I'd take it before any CFR

Doing the PLQ instead of CFRing isn't worth it. Since CAP is fairly short and it's just PLQ anyway. At the same time you'll get to meet a lot of officers in other trades that you will see down the line and building connections is never a bad thing.

I take it you want to do Infantry then? Do you want to go reg or stay reserve? Since you've already had experience as infantry NCM, CAP is quite easy. It is literally like camping, except you plan to go on hikes. But that being said, if apply Battle Procedure properly and you can conduct yourself well when giving orders it's in the bag. I have seen Sig NCIS techs, drivers, clerks, give some of the best orders and give me some of the best back briefs when I was course O for a PLQ. Combat Arms guys were all pretty good to go as well, but if you keep your head on straight and think through things thoroughly it won't be much of a problem.

Phase 3 will be the kicker, but it shouldn't be a problem for you physically since you have that side so you should be fine. If you had questions about that or what you need to prepare for in the future, if you go through with doing a CFR and get it. Just ask here as a few of us have gone that path.

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010

acumen posted:

You failed Mod 6 and want to be an officer? Unless they were circumstances not associated with your course (like a DUI or something) this doesn't seem very appropriate.

As much as I love officer bashing, their phase training is pretty tough, especially compared to a joke course like the modern Mod 6 infantry.

Chill out. Almost everyone fails mod 6 once. Even the awesome ones. They make it lovely on purpose. I don't know what infantry mod 6 you think is a joke, but almost all of them are hard as chinese algebra. Every once in a while you end up with ones that's impossible to fail, but they are the vast minority.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

swagger like us posted:

To be fair, I failed my Mod 6 after having 2 years experience in the Reserve Infantry.

I now know several people that have been sent on PLQ after loving 2 years in. Just long enough to make Corporal, and you've got your PLQ. Seriously, what is a unit THINKING when they say "Well this person has just finished their QL3s, and they've been doing pretty good on weekend exs. Instead of getting them more training in their job roles, let's get them a leadership course!"

The guy that co-drove for me on my last ex in Wainwright had Arty QL3 and PLQ, and that's it. Couldn't drive and barely knew how to handle ammo. gently caress.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Horus - I agree, the way the reserves seem to be pushing people through that course way too quickly. I had several 2-year corporals on my course (I'm reg force, was on a reserve PLQ) and they had a lot of difficulty with most of the tests. Regardless, every single reservist was promoted minutes after graduation.

Morristron posted:

Chill out. Almost everyone fails mod 6 once. Even the awesome ones. They make it lovely on purpose. I don't know what infantry mod 6 you think is a joke, but almost all of them are hard as chinese algebra. Every once in a while you end up with ones that's impossible to fail, but they are the vast minority.

Are you being serious? I don't know a soul who's failed the course, and having been in my unit for half a decade now it's not like I don't know anyone. Maybe it's harder out west or something (which it shouldn't be, seeing as how all the POs and standards are the same), but in Petawawa it's invariably a no-fail course.

The hardest thing I had to do on PLQ was keep some semblance of respect for my staff after teaching a sergeant how to plot a six-figure grid.

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010

acumen posted:

Are you being serious? I don't know a soul who's failed the course, and having been in my unit for half a decade now it's not like I don't know anyone. Maybe it's harder out west or something (which it shouldn't be, seeing as how all the POs and standards are the same), but in Petawawa it's invariably a no-fail course.

The hardest thing I had to do on PLQ was keep some semblance of respect for my staff after teaching a sergeant how to plot a six-figure grid.

Yeah, not the case out here. Sleep dep, recce's on abandoned wellheads in the middle of winter on three hours sleep that week, etc. (For those of you not familiar, an abandoned wellhead is just a piece of plywood on the ground. Once covered with snow you would never know.) Defensive week is much like it was in battle school, except you're also expected to make orders. That part is not particularly difficult skill wise, but a bag drive. PT and whatnot are, as you'd expect, to a very high standard.

Basically, it's as much cock as you'll find in any course in the infantry outside of a recce or sniper course. I know the land PLQ is a joke in comparison, and I can only imagine what the navy/air force versions are like, but ours is srs bsns.

Sometimes Ottawa demands MCpls and we're forced to pass anyone at all, but nine out of ten our PLQs are hard like last years christmas candy.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
In my experience, Aldershot and Gagetown have earned a reputation of giving a coffee course PLQ, more in spirit with the army's new direction when it comes to training. More theory, more book-smarts. They pump out new jacks by the bushel with mixed results.

The battle school in Valcartier sees it as the last chance to really cock you out ("osti qu'on paieeeeeee!"). After that, it's gravy. To be avoided at all cost if you're anglo.

Petawawa is beyond my ken.

Wainwright, however, is in a league of its own. Guys come back east and say "if you want a real experience go to Wainwright." Belt-fed, 1200 rpm cock.

A point about those 2 year corporals in the reserves... It's a necessary evil. Having experience in both the Reg Force and the reserves, I understand why units do this. The turnover rate for reservists in all trades is mind-boggling. A training year is a generation, time-wise.

When I did the switch, I had to come to terms and accept the majority of them are just in it for school and something cool to do on the occasional week-end and summer. The moment they get their diploma and land a real job, they'll release (if they haven't done so sooner).

The few true believers who see it as more than just a no-strings student bursury end up putting their name in for a tour and then half of them CT to the Regs. Ironically, they're the ones who usually hate on the Militia the most and yet are the most needed.

Hell, A PSWQ my unit was hosting finished earlier this month. Half the course were privates. The standards warrant was shocked when he asked for a show of hands of who had been badged the previous summer (answer: more than there should have been.)

In the end, it becomes a vicious, self-perpetuating cycle. The reserves need a rethink, to say the least.

Barrakketh fucked around with this message at 12:35 on May 23, 2011

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Barrakketh posted:

Wainwright; Belt-fed, 1200 rpm cock.

I will use this to describe Wainwright until the end of time.

I know that in some Arty units there was incredible turn-over on SNCOs when Afghanistan started up. There was one battery where the dets had Bombers as the number 1, because the next available person was the loving BSM. They were always a real cockup in the field.

YOU DEPLOY BESIDE ANOTHER BATTERY NOT IN FRONT OR BEHIND YOU CANNOT FIRE OVER US YOU CUNTS.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

MA-Horus posted:

I will use this to describe Wainwright until the end of time.

I know that in some Arty units there was incredible turn-over on SNCOs when Afghanistan started up. There was one battery where the dets had Bombers as the number 1, because the next available person was the loving BSM. They were always a real cockup in the field.

YOU DEPLOY BESIDE ANOTHER BATTERY NOT IN FRONT OR BEHIND YOU CANNOT FIRE OVER US YOU CUNTS.

Please tell me that was the one from Pet or Sault St. Marie, or even 7TOR and not the Dirty 30.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

ub posted:

Came in to work today and saw a strange and unfamiliar sight: two Canadian submarines in decent-looking condition, side-by-side in the water. A momentous occasion for the Canadian Navy!

Spoken truely like someone who hasn't been inside the Corner Brook.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Lt. Jebus posted:

Spoken truely like someone who hasn't been inside the Corner Brook.

I've been on the Corner Brook several times, most recently in January. Prolly gonna give a visit some time this week. :)

Edit: And yeah having talked now with my buddy on the Corner Brook I'm aware of what sort of condition it is in.

ub fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 25, 2011

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Vadoc posted:

Please tell me that was the one from Pet or Sault St. Marie, or even 7TOR and not the Dirty 30.

It was a while ago, the ex in Pet summer of '04. It was when 56FD still had their guns instead of mortars. I think it was either 30FD or 7TOR, I remember a hell of a lot of poo poo talk about 7TOR that ex. Well, every ex, really.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

I'm betting it definitely was 7TOR, it sounds like something they'd do.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Vadoc posted:

I'm betting it definitely was 7TOR, it sounds like something they'd do.

gently caress up hilariously and horrendously, while professing superiority over all other regiments? It's kinda their modus operandi, isn't it?

That's one thing I liked about 11Fd. We did poo poo by the book, and it worked.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

MA-Horus posted:

You can shoot over anything overseas

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010

My Spirit Otter posted:

You can shoot over anything overseas

Yeah, but Seamus will beat you to it.

And they'll have a better story to tell.

drat them for having too much fun.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Morristron posted:

Yeah, but Seamus will beat you to it.

And they'll have a better story to tell.

drat them for having too much fun.

I don't get this Seamus reference

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010

My Spirit Otter posted:

I don't get this Seamus reference

On 3-09 they were some local American chopper pilots that wandered around Hellfiring everything. They got more kills than our entire battlegroup, I'm sure. They were pretty much crazy. One O-Group told us how two insurgents ran into a compound and they landed the chopper and went in after them. Two dudes by themselves. Another story has them leaning out the side of the chopper shooting their pers weapons once they had expended all ammo.

Whether or not any of the crazier stories are true, they still killed the gently caress out of everything. They also hellfired a rock about 100m from where I slept. They were such a constant source of entertainment and kills that I'm not even mad about that. They put on a good light show, to boot.

Edit: Bonker Crazy Murder Artists. That's pretty much the best name for them.

Morristron fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 25, 2011

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Morristron posted:

On 3-09 they were some local American chopper pilots that wandered around Hellfiring everything. They got more kills than our entire battlegroup, I'm sure. They were pretty much crazy. One O-Group told us how two insurgents ran into a compound and they landed the chopper and went in after them. Two dudes by themselves. Another story has them leaning out the side of the chopper shooting their pers weapons once they had expended all ammo.

Whether or not any of the crazier stories are true, they still killed the gently caress out of everything. They also hellfired a rock about 100m from where I slept. They were such a constant source of entertainment and kills that I'm not even mad about that. They put on a good light show, to boot.

:wtc:

Apache drivers? If so, I'm only half-surprised.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

MA-Horus posted:

:wtc:

Apache drivers? If so, I'm only half-surprised.

Negative, little Kiowa scout choppers. A militarized version of the Bell jetranger. It's a new helicopter with a .50 bmg on one side and hellfires or rockets on the other.

All of the pilots are bonker crazy murder artists.

I spent most of 2010 reading a lot of report traffic, I would like confirm 100% everything Morristron is saying.

Seamus loving owns, they should have their own videogame.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_OH-58_Kiowa

edit: link to da choppa!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
So I didn't get on course this summer. It doesn't set my career back at all because the next Phase 4 (infantry) is next summer and there's another Phase 3 in the fall. So all this really means is that I get four months of GTL in sunny Gagetown. I am so excited.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Huh. They're not running a phase 4 this summer, or there just wasn't enough space due to all those RMC kiddies filling up the slots?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Not attempting to talk poo poo but I had an amusing little encounter last weekend I had to share with y'all.

Was at the hotel bar in Dress Greens because we were all goin for a shot after the welcome home formal(which ended up being tourists buying us multiple shots), when me and two of my buddies were set upon by this super curious Canadian tourist.

She asked about a million question about what ever little ribbon and shiny thing was on our uniforms, how long we spent deployed, but after almost every question was super apologetic and kept repeating "I'm sorry to bother you but I'm really curious because I'm from Canada and we don't have anything like that there" (the obvious implication I got was either "the army" or "the military"), which I found amusing after patronizing Tim Hortons on KAF regularly for the month I got to spend refitting at the resort.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I rarely mention I'm in the military to strangers but my friends occasionally do, and it almost invariably ends up with questions like "was iraq scary?", "so we're in afghanistan for oil confirm/deny" and "have you killed someone?".

In my experience, our general public is quite oblivious to our nation's foreign affairs.

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010

acumen posted:

In my experience, our general public is quite oblivious.

I fixed it for you.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

That goes for any country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Simkin posted:

Huh. They're not running a phase 4 this summer, or there just wasn't enough space due to all those RMC kiddies filling up the slots?

They are, but I'm not done three yet.