Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007
Working on a statutory holiday. I'm definitely getting the articling version of being a summer student. At least the weather is lovely outside?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Forever Zero posted:

So is it really true that not having a law job for a year or two after graduation makes it incredibly difficult to get a law job in the future?
What are you actually doing for those 2 years?
If it is two years volunteering at a PD/DA with jury trials, you might actually be stronger.
If it is 2 years at a legit, but non-legal, career, it will be tougher, but not impossible depending on what you were doing.
If it is 2 years of sitting on a couch or a mcjob, you're hosed.

Seriously, if you're going to be unemployed, go volunteer at a PD/DA/County attorney's office. Do 40 hours a week. It will make your resume so much stronger than doing nothing.

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

Davis vs. Santa Clara at $90k cheaper? Wants to do IP.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Absolutely Santa Clara. Both are fairly middling California law schools and the difference is not worth $90K. Also Santa Clara has a reputation of being something of an IP-heavy law school for some reason.

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000
but davis is in the top 23

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

JohnnyTreachery posted:

but davis is in the top 23
As far as lawyers are concerned from my experience, when it comes to California law schools, you have Stanford and Berkeley at the top, then UCLA and USC, then kind of an undifferentiated smear of bleeeehhhhhhastingsdavispepperdineloyolasantaclarasandiego (and finally a barffffffusfchapmanmcgeorgesouthwesterngoldengatecalwesternthomasjeffersonwhittierlaverne)

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY
Looks like this guy stole your megathread title: http://cbanational.rogers.dgtlpub.com/2011/2011-02-28/pdf/Not_Quite_Contempt.pdf

Actually he probably didn't but it's a good read nonetheless for Canadians.

flog montresor
May 10, 2008

evilweasel posted:

It's why Columbia rocks, even our law review thinks bluebooking is the stupidest thing ever. The point is to remove it from the competition entirely.

Based on the horror stories I've heard from folks at other law schools who also just wrapped up their entries, I really feel like I dodged a bullet. For the CLS competition, the packet of materials only consisted of a few dozen pages, the citation format was about as straightforward as it could possibly be (besides some weird quirks that seemed like they had been deliberately inserted to trip up people used to bluebook format), and we had a healthy week or so to finish it.

Still, I probably spent less time than I should have on my submission.

And in retrospect, it was probably a lovely idea to approach the prompt as if it were an exam question. I printed out and submitted my friend's entry since he had already left campus, and I noticed just in glancing over his subheadings that his response seemed much more creative and policy-oriented than mine. My entry was pretty much all textual analysis and analogizing from case law, with some minor discussion of policy on the side. It pretty much reads like a response to an exam hypo, except with more annotations. It occurred to me after the fact that law reviews likely aren't into that kind of thing.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

flog montresor posted:

It pretty much reads like a response to an exam hypo, except with more annotations. It occurred to me after the fact that law reviews likely aren't into that kind of thing.
If it's anything like my LR competition, the graders will have a syllabus to refer to while going through their big stack of entries, and they are likely to care more about specific points mentioned on the grading sheet than they are about some particularly clever bit of random policy based analysis.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Did this get posted yet?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/24/business/24lawyers.html?hp

quote:

The nation’s biggest law firms are creating a second tier of workers, stripping pay and prestige from one of the most coveted jobs in the business world.

Make no mistake: These are full-fledged lawyers, not paralegals, and they do the same work traditional legal associates do. But they earn less than half the pay of their counterparts — usually around $60,000 — and they know from the outset they will never make partner.

[...]

To some extent, firms have been using lawyers off the partner track for years, known as staff attorneys, although usually on an ad-hoc basis. Executives at Orrick were quick to clarify that the new class of career associates should not be confused with such attorneys, and emphasized efforts to make career associates feel valued.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

TyChan posted:

Did this get posted yet?

Yawn, nothing new:

http://www.nytimes.com/1987/03/11/business/law-firms-add-second-tier.html

Check out those starting salaries at Jones, Day though! Laff

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

TyChan posted:

Did this get posted yet?

That seems like a good idea, if only law school tuition was lowered to match the salary.

Macnigore posted:

Has any of you experienced taking a more laid back job, but which pays less ? Do you have any regret (friends earning 3 times your salary, bigger family and your salary is now not enough, etc) ?

Life is too short to slave away for a bunch of money in a job that will put you in an early grave. I'm not jealous at all of my friends in big firms making big bucks; I know that type of work simply isn't for me. I care more for my free time spent doing things I enjoy than I ever will for work, no matter how much I am paid. Sure it'd be great to make six figures per year but the tradeoff to me just is not worth it. Besides my wife and I combined reach that anyway.

I have a great 9-5 that involves traveling 5-6 times a year, pays a salary that provides for my family (thanks IBR!), and gives me plenty of (actually useable) vacation days, holidays, and other time off to spend with my family. Just this past week our Executive Director announced that unless we have pressing work to be done, it is mandatory for us to leave after a half day on Fridays starting after Memorial Day and running through Labor Day.

My job is in the legal field, but is not practicing law. To get my fill of that, I am in the Army Reserve and that pads my pockets a little more without taking too much of my life away, and the retirement benefit will be a nice addition to my 401k.

Ultimately big firm life was off the table for me from almost the very beginning. I didn't take law school very seriously and graduated in the middle of my class. Nevertheless, overall I am very content with the way things turned out for me although I probably wouldn't go to law school again if I had to do it over. But that is more a product of my increased understanding of what law practice is actually like. I've managed to use my JD to leverage a pretty good career in a "sattelite" profession and when I really think about it, a pretty good career was the reason I went to law school in the first place.

e: re-reading this it sounds like I am bragging (maybe a little, I really do love my job) but the intention is to show that one can be satisfied with a much lower salary. Especially in France where I assume the cost of attending law school was next to nothing in the first place, removing the main stressor in such a situation.

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 24, 2011

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Macnigore posted:

Has any of you experienced taking a more laid back job, but which pays less ? Do you have any regret (friends earning 3 times your salary, bigger family and your salary is now not enough, etc) ?
I did the opposite - I left a more laid back job (I billed >1800 hours only once in five years at my last firm, I think) for a more intense and much busier job (I've been here for seven months so far and have only billed less than 200 hours in a month once). I love it here.

It's not a job I want to stay at forever, just because of the time commitment, but given that I probably only have a couple years before kids come along, I thought that I really needed to round out my resume (e.g., more deposition experience, trial experience) while I still had the opportunity to do so. And it's nice that it came with a pretty large raise.

I think that's just my personality though - if I don't feel challenged, I'm pretty miserable.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

There is some difference between the work that those ad-hoc staff attorneys were doing and the career associates in this current article, though. Associates doing real research, litigation writing work, and witness prep should arguably not be sustaining that kind of income differential.

quote:

Check out those starting salaries at Jones, Day though! Laff

$52,000 was probably a drat good salary back in 1987, when New York was still in its grim and dirty phase and you could apparently buy apartment buildings near Columbia for less than $100,000. Yeah, you had to kick junkies off the steps every morning and probably carry a knife on you at all times, but it's your own building!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Yeah there is a difference. But adjusted for inflation, that salary is still only around $100k.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
:c00l:

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jun 4, 2011

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
A friend of my girlfriend started grilling me to ask about my lawschool experience. She basically disregarded all the advice I gave her ("don't go unless you're headed to a tier 1 at least or someone related to you is holding a chair open") and told me:

1) I'm a special snowflake so I'll be employed and graduate top of my class anywhere I go;

2) I'm going to go to whatever TTT that will give me free money;

3) I want to do "international law."

Its like every hipster actually believes there's some job called "International lawyer" that involves living in Paris, visiting cafes and riding to work on a bicycle, and that this fictional job requires no credentials.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

mrtoodles posted:

Davis vs. Santa Clara at $90k cheaper? Wants to do IP.
Lincoln Law School

Just because you make OMG dollars a year doesn't mean you should be telling people to go to law school.

Angry Grimace posted:

Its like every hipster actually believes there's some job called "International lawyer" that involves living in Paris, visiting cafes and riding to work on a bicycle, and that this fictional job requires no credentials.
This is called being a trustafarian. Would be nice.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

nm posted:

This is called being a trustafarian. Would be nice.

Their education and prior work backgrounds might be the products of immensely unfair socioeconomic advantages, but those guys do tend to have some pretty good credentials.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

~

Dr. Mantis Toboggan fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 11, 2021

nm
Jan 28, 2008

TyChan posted:

Their education and prior work backgrounds might be the products of immensely unfair socioeconomic advantages, but those guys do tend to have some pretty good credentials.

I'm talking about people who live in Paris but don't really work as we know it. They may have some bullshit 20hr a week "job" but they're not5 bringing down the bucks. Yet they have a big place in the 6th arrondissement.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

Fun story:

Last weekend, a friend (first jokingly, then later quite seriously) attempted to argue with me for several minutes about how he was smarter than I am because he graduated law school and I only have a bachelor's degree. He scored somewhere in the 140s on his LSAT and graduated unemployed from a TTT. I scored a 169 and decided not to go to law school at all (thanks largely to the valuable advice of everyone in this thread and the countless statistics, links to scam blogs, news articles, etc. that you have provided). I am employed.

That brief argument assured me that I made the correct decision a couple years ago.
seriouspost: why are you friends with this person

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

Fun story:

Last weekend, a friend (first jokingly, then later quite seriously) attempted to argue with me for several minutes about how he was smarter than I am because he graduated law school and I only have a bachelor's degree. He scored somewhere in the 140s on his LSAT and graduated unemployed from a TTT. I scored a 169 and decided not to go to law school at all (thanks largely to the valuable advice of everyone in this thread and the countless statistics, links to scam blogs, news articles, etc. that you have provided). I am employed.

That brief argument assured me that I made the correct decision a couple years ago.

If you ever find yourself in a serious argument about who is smarter with a "friend" of yours then one of you is a giant douchebag

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

J Miracle posted:

If you ever find yourself in a serious argument about who is smarter with a "friend" of yours then one of you is a giant douchebag

It takes two to tango

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Soothing Vapors posted:

seriouspost: why are you friends with this person

sv which firm are you at here in the city i know you work in

i just want to be friends

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

Soothing Vapors posted:

How To Watch Barbri Videos At 1.6x Speed After They hosed Everything Up
By Soothing Vapours, Age Six

Dearest BarBros,
1.) Download + install Internet Download Manager (30 day free trial, maybe you can find it ~somewhere~ online for cheap when the trial runs out)
2.) Load gayass BarBri vid. I seem to have to load them 2-3 times before that poo poo pops up, but eventually you get a IDM button that says "Download This Video"
3.) Download This Video
4.) Open in VLC, Playback > Faster, Playback > Faster (Fine)
5.)

if this works i love you

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Soothing Vapors posted:

Dearest BarBros,
1.) Download + install Internet Download Manager (30 day free trial, maybe you can find it ~somewhere~ online for cheap when the trial runs out)
2.) Load gayass BarBri vid. I seem to have to load them 2-3 times before that poo poo pops up, but eventually you get a IDM button that says "Download This Video"
3.) Download This Video
5.)
Can we please C&P this somewhere in the OP so two years down the road I don't have to bother people with this again?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Feces Starship posted:

sv which firm are you at here in the city i know you work in

i just want to be friends
i sent an email to you but you OBV NEVER READ IT

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Y'all so gay

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Y'all so gay

Phil Moscowitz posted:

...Go gay
mixed signals from Phil Mouskevitz

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

A friend of my girlfriend started grilling me to ask about my lawschool experience. She basically disregarded all the advice I gave her ("don't go unless you're headed to a tier 1 at least or someone related to you is holding a chair open") and told me:

1) I'm a special snowflake so I'll be employed and graduate top of my class anywhere I go;

2) I'm going to go to whatever TTT that will give me free money;

3) I want to do "international law."

Last summer, I met someone who wanted to go to law school because she believes helping low income accused individuals will be rewarding. Since that was my job when I met her, I told her she's glorifying it and it really isn't THAT rewarding. In addition, there are plenty of other careers where she can help the low income without going into debt and selling her soul.

She proceeded to ask if I've ever been in customer service because I obviously don't know what it's like to help people. :suicide: I was working the job she wanted and have been a social worker, I didn't know how much more people helping I could get.

I wasn't that surprised when she added my friend (who's all for EVERYONE going to law school) on facebook and not me.

Penguins Like Pies fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 25, 2011

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Macnigore posted:

I took a pay cut returning to government after working in a firm, and from what I've seen, people who work in firms long term have to make some tough sacrifices, whether it's family, marriage, etc., and some will hate the work that they end up doing, or the clients. They do rake in the money, and there is the prestige, but it has a non-monetary price tag.

So it really depends on your personal price tag on your leisure time and stress level. Me, I'll likely never go back to private practice. However, I don't think I would have known that unless I'd done it first, to see how I fit in and how I liked it. There's a little bit of jealousy over the firm-life, though oddly it's tied less to finances and more about having to do a little more political wrangling at my current job.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Soothing Vapors posted:

i sent an email to you but you OBV NEVER READ IT

sent you a return response, sorry i didn't see your message but i never check that email address

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Soothing Vapors posted:

Dearest BarBros,
3.) Download This Video
5.)

This is also how you can watch Barbri upside down!

Edit: Also duh. Old farts.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

Abugadu posted:

I took a pay cut returning to government after working in a firm, and from what I've seen, people who work in firms long term have to make some tough sacrifices, whether it's family, marriage, etc., and some will hate the work that they end up doing, or the clients. They do rake in the money, and there is the prestige, but it has a non-monetary price tag.

So it really depends on your personal price tag on your leisure time and stress level. Me, I'll likely never go back to private practice. However, I don't think I would have known that unless I'd done it first, to see how I fit in and how I liked it. There's a little bit of jealousy over the firm-life, though oddly it's tied less to finances and more about having to do a little more political wrangling at my current job.

I didn't take a paycut initially when leaving private practice, as I'm making more now than I did in a firm (I was working for smaller firms though). But my long-term earning potential is lower. Like Abugadu, I will never go back to private practice. I have no desire to make a gazillion dollars at the expense of my free time and sanity. I would be miserable, no matter how rich I was. And now, the ability to have summers entirely off if I want them is worth the decrease in earning potential. This is my third summer teaching, and I can make quite a bit of extra money doing it, but I think next year I might take the entire summer off.

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
Law thread, I have a question for you because I am shy and terrible at networking.

I just graduated and am studying for the bar right now. Still unemployed (shocker? oh yeah). My boyfriend and I were out to dinner yesterday and because he is ridiculously outgoing, he struck up a conversation with the women at the table next to us and mentioned I was taking the bar soon. One of the women said, "Oh! I'm a lawyer," and asked me whether I had found a job yet. She ended up giving me her card and asking me to email her my resume with the caveat that her firm (about 50 people, she is a partner) had been considering trying to find someone with at least a year of experience for the spot. Still, I didn't even ask about a job opportunity, and she definitely didn't have to give me her card. I have nothing to lose by sending a resume even though I'm not really expecting anything to come of it.

I'm just unsure of how formal to make the email--I feel like considering how I met her, a formal cover letter might be too much, but I don't want to be unprofessional or say the wrong thing... Also my grades are not great, but I've done really well at my internships (DA's office, judge's chambers) and all of my supervisors have been pleased with my work, and I know they have given me good references in the past. My boyfriend also suggested that I ask her if I could take her out to coffee and pick her brain about job hunting, but I'm afraid that would be overstepping the bounds? I am terrible at networking. :(

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

A Game of Chess posted:

Law thread, I have a question for you because I am shy and terrible at networking.

I just graduated and am studying for the bar right now. Still unemployed (shocker? oh yeah). My boyfriend and I were out to dinner yesterday and because he is ridiculously outgoing, he struck up a conversation with the women at the table next to us and mentioned I was taking the bar soon. One of the women said, "Oh! I'm a lawyer," and asked me whether I had found a job yet. She ended up giving me her card and asking me to email her my resume with the caveat that her firm (about 50 people, she is a partner) had been considering trying to find someone with at least a year of experience for the spot. Still, I didn't even ask about a job opportunity, and she definitely didn't have to give me her card. I have nothing to lose by sending a resume even though I'm not really expecting anything to come of it.

I'm just unsure of how formal to make the email--I feel like considering how I met her, a formal cover letter might be too much, but I don't want to be unprofessional or say the wrong thing... Also my grades are not great, but I've done really well at my internships (DA's office, judge's chambers) and all of my supervisors have been pleased with my work, and I know they have given me good references in the past. My boyfriend also suggested that I ask her if I could take her out to coffee and pick her brain about job hunting, but I'm afraid that would be overstepping the bounds? I am terrible at networking. :(

1)I'd make it pretty formal but not a cover letter. Think business casual. Do try to sneak in 'everyone I've worked with loves me' somewhere, though.

2)This couldn't hurt except that you're currently looking for a job *there* so phrasing this correctly will be tricky. Something like an "on a personal note, I was really fascinated by your story about {whatever} - would you have time for coffee?" might work. Don't mention job hunting in the email, but feel free to talk about it during lunch if you don't hear back from them immediately after your resume's in*.

*I would also avoid putting your GPA anywhere. You're interviewing with a 50 person firm based on one personal contact. If they want your grades, they can ask for them, but hopefully not before you wow them with your people skills.

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev

Adar posted:

Helpful stuff

Awesome, thank you. That is basically what I was thinking in the first place, so good to know I was on the right track.

That's what I was worried about. I think he was making the suggestion based on networking advice we've gotten from a friend who works at the local branch of a BigLaw firm (email a partner who went to my school, ask to take them out to coffee, because they love talking about the alma mater/giving advice etc.) but that's a totally different situation since there's no way in hell I could get hired there, no matter who I talked to, haha. I think right now I'll just concentrate on writing a good email and see how things for from there.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Penguins Like Pies posted:

Last summer, I met someone who wanted to go to law school because she believes helping low income accused individuals will be rewarding. Since that was my job when I met her, I told her she's glorifying it and it really isn't THAT rewarding. In addition, there are plenty of other careers where she can help the low income without going into debt and selling her soul.

working legal aid you'll spend most of your time feeling like another tooth on the gear that grinds poor people up and that your efforts often serve only to legitimize the functions of an illegitimate system that criminalizes the marginalized and poor

I mean yeah sure we just tossed away this 16 year old kid for multiple B&Es. sure he is an alcoholic and has no home and if we solved both those issues he wouldn't be a criminal issue but we don't have the resources to solve those issues and do have the resources to prosecute his rear end. So we prosecuted him, he got a defense, he's convicted, hooray justice is served, society gets its own. criminal justice success!

There are some real opportunities for advocacy and fightin' the power in helping indigent accused but much more often it's just taking the hand of a dude who's been arrested for beating his common law once or twice a year every year for the last 20 years and guiding him through the steps along the familiar path to jail

print this off and staple it to her stupid fat forehead

hypocrite lecteur fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

Lilosh posted:

It's melting my brain. And I haven't even looked at the footnotes yet.

That means it"s "working." Every citation I put in our petition packet was intended to inflict severe emotional distress. They know no one really writes like that, they just want to see who can deal with it. Trust me, some people can't.

Blakkout fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 25, 2011