Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Gnaghi posted:

At least yours are adjustable. I have stupid shims, which means my bike sits with the valve cover off for weeks while I order +/- 5mm shims.

Buy a shim kit! Or do they not make shim kits for your moon bike?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Gnaghi posted:

At least yours are adjustable. I have stupid shims, which means my bike sits with the valve cover off for weeks while I order +/- 5mm shims.

Can't you trade shims with a local shop? doesn't hurt to try.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Z3n posted:

What are you riding? Valve checks aren't too difficult, adjustment is more of a pain, but you can always pull it apart and then take it to the dealership to get the adjustment...although by that point, you're already there so it's just a few more bolts and some careful measuring and you can adjust them on your own.

Its a Vstar 1300. They cleverly engineered it to require two special tools; a fancy set of feeler gauges attached to rods for better reach and angle, and a funky square-hole socket for turning the adjuster piece. The top end area of the bike is fairly cramped so things that hold coolant need to be disconnected and several little shiny bits from the top of the engine need to be removed, and clearance is pretty notoriously tight.

At least it isn't the shim-and-bucket type. But $200 vs. 8 hours and bloody knuckles, to me, is kind of a wash.

The wife's R1150, on the other hand...jesus. She'll finish those before I finish an oil change. It's pretty uncanny.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Tossed on a tinted screen.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Changed the oil a couple days ago, then today I changed all the brake and clutch fluid since they were all looking lovely already. While I was at it, I removed the emissions and weight stickers from the frame and finally removed the big, ugly charcoal canister from the underside. Looks much cleaner now.

late edit: Finally took it on a ride after the work, and the front brake is way better now. I don't know what I hosed up on it last time, possibly some air in the lines, but the pull was never very consistent. Now it feels nice and solid every time.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 20, 2011

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

clutchpuck posted:

The wife's R1150, on the other hand...jesus. She'll finish those before I finish an oil change. It's pretty uncanny.

There's nothin' uncanny about quick valve adjustments on a bike where the valve covers double as frame sliders

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Z3n posted:

Buy a shim kit! Or do they not make shim kits for your moon bike?

I actually emailed hotcams.com earlier cause Huskys aren't listed there, but I think they are the same size as some jap bikes (9.48mm).

KARMA! posted:

Can't you trade shims with a local shop? doesn't hurt to try.

I tried that last time and they charged me $10. For one shim.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Unless you're racing you probably can get away without adjusting/checking valves until the bike actually becomes hard to start or runs poorly.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Gnaghi posted:

I actually emailed hotcams.com earlier cause Huskys aren't listed there, but I think they are the same size as some jap bikes (9.48mm).

I tried that last time and they charged me $10. For one shim.
Yeah there's a 9.48mm kit. I need to buy one for the katoom I think...although the ktm may run 10mm shims.

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
Rebuilding my 82 750F's front calipers today. Using all new seals but I think the boot seals are still good. What do you guys think of using silicone grease instead of brake fluid to assemble the calipers?

and how much silicone grease do you use on the back of pads?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
How difficult are SV valves? I've got an SV1000, but I'm assuming the process is at least a little similar to the more common 650...? Debating whether I want to take it to Hollywood Honda and have them do that plus some other basic maintenance stuff for their flat $~280 price, or spend Sunday swearing at my bike again. Already have all the tools, so its just a matter of convenience.

Bike's got around 8500 miles on it. Apparently the interval is like 15k, but I'm the 3rd owner at least, and I don't know if its ever even been checked. Its also 6 years old and the intervals recommend checking every 2.

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

Slim Pickens posted:

Changed the oil a couple days ago, then today I changed all the brake and clutch fluid since they were all looking lovely already. While I was at it, I removed the emissions and weight stickers from the frame and finally removed the big, ugly charcoal canister from the underside. Looks much cleaner now.

Yeah it looks a lot better without all the crap under the seat, doesn't it? I'm assuming you moved the RR as well too?

I put on the velocity stacks + cone filters from TPO with some red covers for them the other day, and it really cleans up the bike. It's a much better looking beast without all the tubing and black plastic boxes on it.

Also how do you like that cf rear hugger? I've decided I need one, as constantly cleaning off the rear shock is getting annoying.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Not sure what you mean by rr. What I've done with the bike cosmetically since I've had it is a fender eliminator with a new tail light with integrated turn signals, new front signals(need to be replaced, too angular and one shorted out), steering damper, and dart windscreen. The rear hugger came with it, and I guess it works great. Never rode without it, and never had any problems.

Changing to pod filters for the carbs and case breather would look pretty nice, but make it even less rain-friendly than it already is. Maybe some day I can justify blinging the bike out some more. Also, are the mounting points for all the air-cooled engines identical? I was curious if swapping the 900 for a newer 1100 would be as easy as dropping one out and putting the other in.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

You shoulda spoken up about your wants to bling out your bike. Up until a few weeks ago I had a spare StreetFighter tank lying around.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
no money, wouldn't know where to start on mounting it, etc.

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

Slim Pickens posted:

Not sure what you mean by rr. What I've done with the bike cosmetically since I've had it is a fender eliminator with a new tail light with integrated turn signals, new front signals(need to be replaced, too angular and one shorted out), steering damper, and dart windscreen. The rear hugger came with it, and I guess it works great. Never rode without it, and never had any problems.

Changing to pod filters for the carbs and case breather would look pretty nice, but make it even less rain-friendly than it already is. Maybe some day I can justify blinging the bike out some more. Also, are the mounting points for all the air-cooled engines identical? I was curious if swapping the 900 for a newer 1100 would be as easy as dropping one out and putting the other in.

The rectifier/regulator that I think should have sat on top of the black evap/emissions tank you took off from under the seat.

On my S2R 1000 the drat thing cooked my junk so I moved it away from the very bottom of the seat, and now it hangs underneath.

And yeah my Monster doesn't have any rear fender, so it constantly is throwing chain lube and road gunk up on the shock coil and making it a pain to clean.

A tail chop and integrated led rear brake/turn signals really cleans up the bike, it was one of the first things I did.

And the mounting should be the same, especially if you are not using the stock air box. LT over at Desmotimes has a great mechanics manual for the 2V and 4V Ducatis. It's worth the thirty bucks or so and then some.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I decided to finally get around to rigging up some saddlebags for my Bonneville. Just ordered some brackets and a set of 15"x15" canvas mussette bags for a total of about $60 so hopefully it'll work out well and save me a ton of money. If I end up doing this 2700 mile trip I'm planning, I could definitely use some storage. I figure I can manage with the two bags, plus a large duffel spread over top and bungeed down, as well as a backpack and a tank bag.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Got my carbs apart. These things are... fairly complex. I really don't want to drop $150 on a rebuild kit; maybe between the two racks I have I can make a cheaper kit work. Either way, it's gonna be a job alright, cus they're a mess.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I took all the luggage off the Bandit to prepare for the vehicle inspection the DMV does. Went to the DMV, got license, registration, and plates. They didn't inspect the bike :(. Rode a couple hundred miles to see if I could do it. Bought, then subsequently installed a throttle lock style cruise control. Dicked around with that for the couple hundred miles back.

I get to go put gas in the bike tomorrow to see what my mileage was.

I love riding.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

A Duck! posted:

The rectifier/regulator that I think should have sat on top of the black evap/emissions tank you took off from under the seat.

On my S2R 1000 the drat thing cooked my junk so I moved it away from the very bottom of the seat, and now it hangs underneath.

And yeah my Monster doesn't have any rear fender, so it constantly is throwing chain lube and road gunk up on the shock coil and making it a pain to clean.

A tail chop and integrated led rear brake/turn signals really cleans up the bike, it was one of the first things I did.

And the mounting should be the same, especially if you are not using the stock air box. LT over at Desmotimes has a great mechanics manual for the 2V and 4V Ducatis. It's worth the thirty bucks or so and then some.

Must've already been moved or it's just mounted differently on the '99s. I picked up the desmotimes 2v manual a while ago, I think I recommended it to someone here a while ago, too. An awesome guide and well worth the cash, like you said.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I received a Vino carburetor in the mail today. It replaces the one that came with the scooter, but I doubt it's going to be anywhere near as corroded on the inside as the current one is. I'm still amazed how well it runs considering the innards are orange/green/white.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Lots of progress in the past week or two. I'm just about ready to go.

MotoMind posted:

Completed

* Grease steering stem
* Install radiator guard
* Identify Fuzeblock and turn signal placement
* Install turn signals
* Tweak lever adjustment/height, swap risers from KLR (risers too tall, stock bars OK)
* Install G2 throttle tube with slow cam (stupid snatchy low-speed FI)
* Install Fuzeblock, cut and crimp wires, test fit electricals
* Check/adjust valves (doing it 15K early, as 26k intervals are recommended) - not doing this, gently caress removing the throttle bodies
* Possibly change fork oil, but after spending 4 days loving with my KLR suspension I'd rather not do this given that Yamaha doesn't ask for it - nevermind this
* Purchase SAE pigtail (RadioShack, Cyclegear, O'Reilly)
* Call Cyclegear for available Firstgear heated vest sizes, call Warm'n'Safe, call Gerbing
* Purchase Warmnsafe size Small Gen 4 heated gear and wireless remote
* Purchase new straps for Dromedary bags - REI 2"
* Continue fitting Dromedary fuel/water bags
* Purchase Symtec heated grips
* Input new FMF fuel programmer settings
* Install new o-ring chain
* Install carbon felt heat guard
* Install new handlebars with less sweep, compare to stock
* Install handguards and bar end weights
* Install Tusk handlebar mitts (Hippo hands)
* Install No-Toil air filter
* Install new Progrip 714 grips
* Drill mounting holes and install 4" tool tube
* Install new SAE connectors and final fit all electricals
* Install IMS gas tank
* Install new spark plug
* Fresh oil and filter
* Buy high-pressure hand pump for Tubliss bladder

To-Do

* Top off oil
* Wire up chargers
* Purchase voltmeter with Molex pigtail and wire it up

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

Glad I convinced you to do that, Japanese foreign policy non-withstanding. :)

I was pretty angry at the manual for its description of the procedure around the newfangled oil-pressure-and-spring-and-screw cam chain tensioner. I finally got it compressed but the manual wanted me to turn the engine over a few times to cause the tensioner piston to extend again. For all the care I took in that, it skipped timing on me twice before I used a screwdriver to press on the cam chain near the tensioner which in turn caused the piston to pop out. I'm a little worried I possibly spun the piston up into the exhaust valves as I turned it over and lost timing the first time because the exhaust valves were on cam when it skipped and stopped, but it runs fine and I figure the valves wouldn't be harmed even if they did touch since I was doing this by hand off the rotor bolt.

Arrrgh Japan.

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 08:10 on May 21, 2011

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

They didn't inspect the bike :(.

I bet you were secretely hoping for:

VEHICLE INSPECTION

Condition: Pretty rad, looks clean and quick.
Safety: Still got some chicken strips left, can push harder.
Emissions: Exhaust note measured to be meaty and sweet.
Permit: High-five provided upon completed inspection.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MotoMind posted:

I was pretty angry at the manual for its description of the procedure around the newfangled oil-pressure-and-spring-and-screw cam chain tensioner. I finally got it compressed but the manual wanted me to turn the engine over a few times to cause the tensioner piston to extend again. For all the care I took in that, it skipped timing on me twice before I used a screwdriver to press on the cam chain near the tensioner which in turn caused the piston to pop out. I'm a little worried I possibly spun the piston up into the exhaust valves as I turned it over and lost timing the first time because the exhaust valves were on cam when it skipped and stopped, but it runs fine and I figure the valves wouldn't be harmed even if they did touch since I was doing this by hand off the rotor bolt.

Arrrgh Japan.

Nah, you won't harm the valves if they make contact when you turn it over by hand, so no worries there. And that tensioner sounds like a huge pain in the rear end, but generally modern tensioners are a huge pain in the rear end. :shobon:

Today I'm changing the chain on the KTM, checking pressures/lubing chains for a ride tomorrow :) I'll get those pictures for you then too.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Finally was able to get the last of the stuck screws unstuck and removed the sheave cover. Then it was the simple matter of finding a place to stick the strap wrench handle to hold the variator in place while loosening the nut. I checked the belt and removed the restrictor washer before putting it all back together.

I didn't bother putting the black plastic sheave cover...cover on since it seems to only collect dirt, moisture, and spider eggs and the aluminum case draws your eye to it instead of the ratty-rear end seat. Top speed is now in excess of 40 MPH.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
I took the FZ6n past the 10000 km mark. 7000 of them took four years and two previous owners, the last 3000 are mine from April and May.

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Ask me about my fitness log: PYF Not Workouts

makka-setan posted:

I took the FZ6n past the 10000 km mark. 7000 of them took four years and two previous owners, the last 3000 are mine from April and May.

What's it like living on the Sun? 98* C, toasty!

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house

BradleyJamers posted:

What's it like living on the Sun? 98* C, toasty!

Engines get pretty hot.

e: :)

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Ask me about my fitness log: PYF Not Workouts

internet inc posted:

Engines get pretty hot.

e: :)

God, I'm a moron :downs:

As punishment, I'm gonna clean my chain tomorrow, it's looking pretty nasty.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BradleyJamers posted:

God, I'm a moron :downs:

As punishment, I'm gonna clean my chain tomorrow, it's looking pretty nasty.

S'alright, I did the same thing. "98 degrees F, that's pretty hot. Wait....C? Goddamn!". I really like those gauges though.

Today I'm going to quickly wash the KTM, make sure it's in good working order, and then go explore some backroads. Pictures and maybe even video to come.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Yes it's the coolant temperature. But I would be much happier if the gauge just said "Fine, keep donging it up" or "Overheating, back off the revs hotshot". I really don't need more data input to process while riding.

You can switch it over to display the intake air temp, but that has to be done manually each time you start the bike.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I want a coolant temp sensor. It's 98F right now, and there's a lot of slowed trafic; it'd be nice to know JUST BEFORE the radiator explodes.

Today, I cleaned and lubed the chain. I took off the rear fairing and rear sets. I put the right rear set back on because the exhaust mount seemed to flimsy without it. The left side of the bike seems so much cleaner now.

I found the rear brake light switch connector in the harness, so I attached that and adjusted the switch to activate with light pressure.

I found a Competition Werkes Assimilator II up under the fairing. The wiring diagram is all rubbed off. Google fails me. Does anyone have the diagram? I thought the Assimilator II worked as a brake light pulser, but mine doesn't.

I then reinstalled the fairing and the luggage.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Tweaked my suspension a bit, and installed my new damper. I have a feeling some rear end in a top hat is going to steal this right off my bike.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I took a short trip, fueled by my desire to get a baseline for my Fuelly. I decided to abandon the stifling, suffocating environment of Central New Jersey for the wild and untamed majesty of Northern New Jersey. If you try to find bike roads in NJ, all signs point up there and while they're a bit too far to hit up on the regular, I at least wanted to see what is beyond a 20 mile radius.

The first stop was the Watchung Reservation. It had some pretty decent twisties, though not too many places to pull over and be a tourist. It's one of the few roads in NJ I've ever seen that didn't have any houses on it. No joggers, no angry fist shaking parents. Also, despite going at a leisurely pace, every single car pulled over and let me pass them. Crazy!

After a few passes I decided to head North again. This time the destination was Shades of Death Road. :ghost: Legend has it this road is filled with ghosts, ghouls, a Native American who changes into a deer and runs in front of cars, and rebellious wiccans that prance around naked and are really open minded about stuff if you know what I mean. I didn't see any of these things, but a giant pothole appeared out of nowhere and gave me a good kick in the rear end.

I got no less than three dirty looks taking this pic. Maybe it's because a lot of tourists come through here and kids sometimes steal the street signs. Most likely it was my lovely parking, though. Sorry...I'd be a bit more accommodating if you weren't all satanists.

The road itself was uneventful and badly paved.

Here I am next to Ghost Lake. Once upon a time, a poor unfortunate soul fell into this lake and became wet.

The roads surrounding the area were much better.

Whats that! :ghost:

At this point I wanted to go on to spooky Clinton Road (probably not spooky) but it was already starting to rain and I had a relatively long ride back, so I figure I'll save it for another day. Generally I proved what I already knew, North Jersey is better than Central Jersey. Total miles - 316. Average MPG - 36.6.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Saturday: started 'er up, changed the oil, finally lubed the grease fittings on the swingarm.
Sunday: washed her, finishing the rinse as the rain started coming in. Had lunch, waxed & polished her up, waited for the rain to stop. Rode home in my winter gear in the sun since that's all I had on hand! Thought I was going to sweat to death, but having the jacket 1/4 unzipped and highway speeds kept me cool and alert.

This is the latest I've gotten my bike out of storage so far, just some weird conflicts in April, and my own laziness not going out on the 7th when the weather was perfect.

Time to get the parts & equipment list together and get riding!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

I love that triple exhaust out from under the seat. It's probably my second favorite to the MV F3.

Interrupt
Mar 30, 2010
What I wanted to do yesterday: try out my new Scorpion Exo-400 helmet that arrived

What I did:
Noticed fuel drip from petcock
Removed and drained tank, removed petcock

Diagnosis: Petcock was weeping from a screw head, gaskets looked fine

Fix:
Picked up some Permatex high temp thread sealant, applied to all face screws

Now: waiting for Permatex to cure, crossing fingers

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Russian Bear posted:

I love that triple exhaust out from under the seat. It's probably my second favorite to the MV F3.

Thanks. Laser is the company that makes them. It's on the expensive side but also one of the better looking exhausts for most bikes. Mine isn't too loud either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Yesterday, I installed a LeoVince ZX pipe on the Vino. I'd never dealt with crush gaskets before today. Interesting stuff. I pulled the sheave cover off again to install the weights and springs that came with the pipe only to discover I didn't have a large enough socket to remove the clutch housing. I had to go to 2 different stores to get a 24mm socket and then a 3/8" to 1/2" socket adapter so I can use my torque wrench when putting everything back together.

As it is with just the pipe, it's pretty pokey up until about 20 MPH and then it feels like VTEC just kicked in, yo. Now I just need for death to stop raining upon Missouri for a while so I can finish installing everything.