Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
My favorite chick flick is Kill Bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Criminal Minded posted:

My favorite chick flick is Kill Bill.
Mine is Secretary.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
What was so special about Prizzi's Honor that it was nominated for so many awards? I just caught it for the first time on HBO and thought that it was pretty average. The IMDB users agree with me, because it has a 6.8 rating, yet it was up for Best Picture at the 1986 Academy Awards. What am I missing?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Rusty Shackelford posted:

What was so special about Prizzi's Honor that it was nominated for so many awards? I just caught it for the first time on HBO and thought that it was pretty average. The IMDB users agree with me, because it has a 6.8 rating, yet it was up for Best Picture at the 1986 Academy Awards. What am I missing?

You're not missing anything, the Academy is stupid.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Jack Nicholson, Kathleen Turner, Anjelica Huston, in a film directed by John Huston. Star power, plus a weak year for Hollywood films, is my guess.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Was Ridley Scott involved in the Gladiator 2 project at all (the one with Nick Cave's script) or was that conceptualized completely without him?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Cocaine was cheap and popular in the 80s you see.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Does anyone know why Jim Carrey isn't doing much high-profile work? He's one of my favourite actors of all time given his performances in The Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and even 23 and I Love You Phillip Morris I liked. But recently, it seems like he's reduced himself to mediocre kids' movies? Is there any reason he's not getting picked for big productions?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

csidle posted:

Does anyone know why Jim Carrey isn't doing much high-profile work? He's one of my favourite actors of all time given his performances in The Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and even 23 and I Love You Phillip Morris I liked. But recently, it seems like he's reduced himself to mediocre kids' movies? Is there any reason he's not getting picked for big productions?

Scripts like The Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine are rare. Scripts like The Number 23 drat near grow on trees.

Also, I don't know if this is the case with Jim, but it's the case with actors like Steve Martin or Tim Allen: often they'll sign a contract for an huge amount of money to do a set number of films for a given studio over a certain amount of years. The studio does this assuming that a few of the movies will do terribly, but one or two will do a lot of money, and they'll make a profit in the end.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

codyclarke posted:

Scripts like The Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine are rare. Scripts like The Number 23 drat near grow on trees.

Also, I don't know if this is the case with Jim, but it's the case with actors like Steve Martin or Tim Allen: often they'll sign a contract for an huge amount of money to do a set number of films for a given studio over a certain amount of years. The studio does this assuming that a few of the movies will do terribly, but one or two will do a lot of money, and they'll make a profit in the end.

Wasn't he spreading the bad word about vaccinations and autism with what's-her-name and "focusing on the family"?

Jenny McCarthy?

NGL fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 26, 2011

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

NGL posted:

Wasn't he spreading the bad word about vaccinations and autism with what's-her-name and "focusing on the family".

He was married to her. They're divorced and he's stopped.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

scary ghost dog posted:

He was married to her. They're divorced and he's stopped.

Cool. Now I can respect him more.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

NGL posted:

Wasn't he spreading the bad word about vaccinations and autism with what's-her-name and "focusing on the family"?

Jenny McCarthy?

Yes to both, but she was the real 'champion' of the cause.

Bozz
Jan 26, 2002

csidle posted:

He's one of my favorite actors too. I think it's a combination of elements:

-He didn't want to be known for Ace Venture type roles anymore. He often said he didn't want to be doing "this" at 50. That was back during the 90's when he was promoting Dumb & Dumber. His Steven Russell character is about as much of a 180 as possible.

-He didn't do himself any favors with the studios and moviegoers with the anti-vaccine rants and marches. This was also when he gave bizarre interviews talking about how light shines through him and poo poo.

-His last big box office hit was Bruce Almighty in 2003. He had a string of duds, with only Yes Man being his recent hit and that grossed half of what his movies used to.

-He's very expensive. For Bruce Almighty he got $25 million up front. For Yes Man he got 36% of the profits.

-Steve Carrell and Will Ferrell became more popular.

-He became the Dallas Mavericks head coach.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Bozz posted:

-He became the Dallas Mavericks head coach.

He's gonna get us a ring, too, so don't hate.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

His tweets are terrible. That's the real reason.

Bozz
Jan 26, 2002

NeuroticErotica posted:

He's gonna get us a ring, too, so don't hate.

I'm a Lakers fan but of couse I'll be pulling for the Mavs too. :)

I've read some of Carrey's tweets and they have been pretty awful.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
After his SNL appearance I'm more than willing to believe that he's been replaced by a creepy killer robot, because goddam is he way too convincing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Farbtoner posted:

After his SNL appearance I'm more than willing to believe that he's been replaced by a creepy killer robot, because goddam is he way too convincing.

The non-Bill Hader guy is always amazing in those sketches. Serious robot skills.

E Minor
Jul 3, 2004

I remember seeing a link in this forum to a blog that showed how movies borrow shots from older movies. I can't think of any specific example, however. Does anyone recall a website resembling what I'm describing? I tried Googling it but I'm not exactly sure what terms to search with.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

E Minor posted:

I remember seeing a link in this forum to a blog that showed how movies borrow shots from older movies. I can't think of any specific example, however. Does anyone recall a website resembling what I'm describing? I tried Googling it but I'm not exactly sure what terms to search with.

http://shotcontext.blogspot.com/

E Minor
Jul 3, 2004

cloudchamber posted:

That's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks a bunch!

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

cloudchamber posted:

None of those shots look remotely like the others. Maybe we're playing a deeper game here, but I don't see the significance of 3 completely different shots of a bed in a forest. That's a trope that's been used a million times.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Quantify! posted:

None of those shots look remotely like the others. Maybe we're playing a deeper game here, but I don't see the significance of 3 completely different shots of a bed in a forest. That's a trope that's been used a million times.

We are indeed playing a deeper game here. The blog is not just ripoffs and homages. Coincidence is a big part.

Edit: Also the subject of a shot is pretty much always more important than the shot itself.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Quantify! posted:

Maybe a shallower game?

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight

Quantify! posted:

There are some interesting ones in there that I never knew about like:

and

But then you get comparisons like:

The hell?

*edit* Okay I just read about the "influence" of the Hidden Fortress on Star Wars so I guess that makes sense but there are other ones in there.

Secks fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 28, 2011

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
I knew about the 'You're tearing me apart!" connection between Rebel Without a Cause and The Room that's listed on that site, but I know there's a movie that uses the "You say one thing, he says another, and then everyone changes back again" line. Does anyone remember what it is? Here's the quote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKExj1TyP3Q

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

scary ghost dog posted:

We are indeed playing a deeper game here. The blog is not just ripoffs and homages. Coincidence is a big part.

Edit: Also the subject of a shot is pretty much always more important than the shot itself.
This is some logic. So if a movie shows a guy firing a gun, it's a subtle echo of every film that's ever had a guy fire a gun? Ah, what a brilliant coincidence... perhaps there is a Jungian collective subconscious that causes film directors to draw upon the same images of men firing guns... or perhaps there's only so many ways to fire a gun and they all look pretty much the same... NO! It must be the hidden language of the cinema.

*shows image of 1942 western*
*shows image of Han Solo firing blaster*

Clearly George Lucas was strongly influenced by Gabby Hayes even if he didn't know it!

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

codyclarke posted:

I knew about the 'You're tearing me apart!" connection between Rebel Without a Cause and The Room that's listed on that site, but I know there's a movie that uses the "You say one thing, he says another, and then everyone changes back again" line. Does anyone remember what it is? Here's the quote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKExj1TyP3Q

Fantastic Mr Fox uses that exact line.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

cloudchamber posted:

Fantastic Mr Fox uses that exact line.

There we go! Thank you! I love when movies steal lines from other ones.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Quantify! posted:

This is some logic. So if a movie shows a guy firing a gun, it's a subtle echo of every film that's ever had a guy fire a gun? Ah, what a brilliant coincidence... perhaps there is a Jungian collective subconscious that causes film directors to draw upon the same images of men firing guns... or perhaps there's only so many ways to fire a gun and they all look pretty much the same... NO! It must be the hidden language of the cinema.

Clearly George Lucas was strongly influenced by Gabby Hayes even if he didn't know it!

You picked the worst worst worst examples for your boring argument.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Secks posted:

There are some interesting ones in there that I never knew about like:

Aronofsky actually brought the rights to Perfect Blue just to use that sequence of shots.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Quantify! posted:

OK, I just read through the entire thing and if you can't appreciate the humor in stuff like this:

I don't know what to say. They're not in-depth essays, it's just goofy picture comparisons that are sometimes insightful but usually entertaining.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Quantify! posted:

You use the word pretentious to describe comedies you don't like, don't you?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

csidle posted:

I think it's mostly because his more recent films didn't gross very highly.

That and from what I understand he's turned down a decent number of high profile roles (including a role in that Three Stooges abomination they're doing with D-list actors now).

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Skwirl posted:

There's merit towards films deliberately/unknowningly borrowing shots from older ones, but nearly all of the ones on that blog are retarded.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Szmitten posted:

There's merit towards films deliberately/unknowningly borrowing shots from older ones, but nearly all of the ones on that blog are retarded.

Look at the third word in the title of the blog :ssh:

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I think the blog is a fascinating read. I don't get why people have to be all dickish and aggressive towards a blog of movie stills. There's some interesting connections in the visual language, chill out holmes.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Skwirl posted:

I use the word pretentious to describe the comedies I DO like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bozz
Jan 26, 2002

The Machine posted:

I think the blog is a fascinating read. I don't get why people have to be all dickish and aggressive towards a blog of movie stills. There's some interesting connections in the visual language, chill out holmes.

True, but on the internet it's a free pass for people to anonymously be dickish and aggressive towards everything. It's a cool and valuable site even if the comparisons don't always mesh.