Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Slaan posted:

That means through armor crits, right, not the normal ablative damage? So if you hit with 2 damage with only 1 armor left, then it will still destroy the section? Or do the goons have to roll 10-12 for even that?

Harjel bullshit. may I remind your poptarts that harjel should have its own crit slot, and if hit will leak?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mukaikubo posted:

Flashbacks to that GODDAMNED ICE SHIP IN MW2MERCS

That was my exact thought as well. Only difference is ComStar at least has the ability to stay on the dropship a bit better because it isn't a floating block of ice with thrusters strapped to it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Slaan posted:

That means through armor crits, right, not the normal ablative damage? So if you hit with 2 damage with only 1 armor left, then it will still destroy the section? Or do the goons have to roll 10-12 for even that?

Even if their armor's breached, the Clan 'Mechs won't lose compression unless the section's destroyed or they suffer a 10-12 on the crit table. It's rough, but you've got a fair numbers advantage and I may change that if the Clanners are doing too well.

Eh, hell: any non through-armor crit that hits a normally empty slot will count as a 'breaching' hit for the Clans. But that's the only concession I'm giving, the odds are 1.666667:1 against the Clans here.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

clanners couldn't get a full star? only 4 of them? Good news, comstar get your ROM boots on and full out murder them.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Yup, if I were Tor Miraborg, those would be about the Mechs I would dump on a wild goose chase.

Pure Kamikaze
Aug 4, 2008
Thats one small step for a goon, one giant leap for a robotic killing machine straight into space.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
A battle in hard vacuum, huh? Thank you oh so much Leperflesh. :) Well, this battle will be interesting to watch.

Edit:

CHP-1N Champion

This mech is armed with an LB-X AC/10 among other weapons. PTN, is the Champion loaded with Cluster or Slug ammunition?

landcollector fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 25, 2011

Sair
May 11, 2007

Well this should be fun.

At least you guys have some decent hitting power. That Whitworth can be a beast if you keep it alive for a bit.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
gently caress.

YES.

Vacuum missions are awesome. If sometimes shorter than you might like.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I wouldn't count out the <REDACTED> just yet, they ARE used for boarding actions pretty routinely. This is going to be a clusterfuck, but at least in space ranges normalise somewhat.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Is it weird that I think the Crab 'Mech (and also the Linebacker) are both cool as hell to look at? Because that Crab 'Mech, I'm tellin' ya, it looks dangerous.

Also, just so I can wrap my head around this battlefield, I assume 0101 (top) wraps around into 0101 (bottom), right?

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Somehow, the missions keep getting more awesome. It'll be good to see what kind of 'Mechs that the clans are bringing to this one.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

landcollector posted:

This mech is armed with an LB-X AC/10 among other weapons. PTN, is the Champion loaded with Cluster or Slug ammunition?

Traditionally it'd be player's choice. The obvious doctrinal choice for vacuum is cluster rounds (great against aerospace and easy breaching), but that's certainly suboptimal against Mechs with HarJel.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Let's talk shop about the mechs in question.

CLNT-1-2R Clint: Armed with 1 AC-10 and a single medium laser, it brings a reasonable punch for a 40 ton mech. 6/9/0 speed isn't bad either. However, that punch comes with a horrific cost: It has all of 4.5 tons of armor. In a space operation, it is incredibly vulnerable.

WTS-1S Whitworth: Another 40-tonner, the WTS-1S is another one of the pure IS L1 designs. However, unlike the Clint, it possesses nearly maximum armor-8 tons of it. 4/6/4 movement, 2 SRM-6s, and 3 medium lasers make it a very solid combatant, and the 14 heat sinks mean you'll almost never overheat.

WVE-5N Wyvern: A 45-ton medium that moves 4/6/4, the WVE-5N mounts 1 LRM-10, 1 large laser, 2 small lasers, and a SRM-6. However, like the Whitworth, it mounts nearly maximized armor: 9.5 tons, or 152 points. However, it only has 12 heat sinks, which means it'll run a bit hot if you alpha strike.

CRB-27 Crab: The first one of these mechs to use non-pure L1 technology, the 50 ton CRB-27 Crab is armed with 2 large lasers, 1 medium laser, and a small laser, but still uses single heat sinks: 16 of them. To increase its survivability, it possesses 9 tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor, giving it the equivalent of 10 and a quarter tons of standard armor in protection, or 161 points worth. Its steep heat curve is nasty, but it's got a reasonably good amount of firepower, and at 5/8/0, it's reasonably fast.

KTO-19 Kintaro: A solid 55-tonner that moves 5/8/0, the KTO-19 is a good team player with missile armed mechs. Again using ferro-fibrous armor (10 tons of it this time) for near-max protection (179/185 armor points) its other claim to fame is the Narc beacon, which, if it hits an enemy, adds +2 to all cluster hit rolls, making your missiles more accurate. As secondary weapons, it mounts 2 medium lasers, 2 SRM 6s, and 1 LRM-5, making it a rather useful system even without everyone gangbanging one mech. Of course, with all the missiles around, doing that can get even deadlier.

CHP-1N Champion: A 60-ton heavy mech, the Champion moves 5/8/0, but has poor armor for its size (143 total armor points from 8 tons of ferro-fibrous armor, meaning it has significantly less armor than either the Crab or Kintaro, but it's armed with a LB-10X AC, a SRM-6 with Artemis IV, 2 medium lasers, and 2 smalls. The LB-10 is the star of the show here, it's basically an AC-10 that is better in every conceivable way. It has longer range brackets (6/12/18), it can fire either cluster rounds (10 1 damage cluster hits and a -1 to hit, for crit seeking) or slug rounds (1 10 damage hit like the AC-10), and it even masses less by 1 ton. Artemis IV means that the SRM-6 has +2 to its cluster hit roll (not compatible, though, with Narc), and medium lasers are solid weapons no matter the case. However, the Champion has only 10 single heat sinks and so must manage its heat even with its ballistic and missile heavy armament.

(I'm sad that the Clint wasn't refit with a LB-10 and say, another medium laser, and that we got the -1N instead of the -1N2, but we can't have everything)

My recommendation, considering the range: Dump all your LRM ammo. You won't be able to get any good hits in, unless you're firing indirect. The LB-10 will always be in short range to anything it fires.

MJ12 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 25, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

mercenarynuker posted:

Also, just so I can wrap my head around this battlefield, I assume 0101 (top) wraps around into 0101 (bottom), right?

That is correct. The border hexes wrap.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

MJ12 posted:

My recommendation, considering the range: Dump all your LRM ammo. You won't be able to get any good hits in, unless you're firing indirect. The LB-10 will always be in short range to anything it fires.

Check the special rules. No indirect and LRMs can be hotloaded.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

The Merry Marauder posted:

Check the special rules. No indirect and LRMs can be hotloaded.

None of the mechs really have the heatsinks to make use of their LRMs, though. The Kintaro already overheats while stationary firing both SRM-6s and medium lasers (12 heat vs 10 dissipation, 12 if in shadow).

Wyvern overheats while stationary firing its large laser, both small lasers, and the SRM-6.

Meanwhile not having that one ton of LRM ammunition may make a difference between life or death.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
It is very important that you all get into knife-fighting range, do whatever physical attacks you can, and keep the pressure on. You all also need to collectively decide on a target and ensure that you murder it. Stay close together as well. The tight space should prevent the Clan units from generating too much speed, which can help; also, with your massed SRMs, LBx, and so forth you stand a good chance to crit-seek people to death. Good luck.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

My first thought on seeing this map was that this was going to be a knife fight in a cage match. Kill the other guy before he kills you first and hope there's enough left for the doctors to put back together afterwards.

The Battledome special rule provides for some interesting maneuvering possibilities though. It'll be interesting to see if the mechwarriors can ride the edge of visibility so that only 1 clanner can shoot at them while they gangbang him.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

So the Iron Jarl is Precentor Martial, and he's gonna throw down on the hull of a DropShip, huh?

My faith in Blake is my shield!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Defiance Industries posted:

So the Iron Jarl is Precentor Martial

Not yet. Very likely, however... depending on what the players accomplish.

VVV They're still ROM.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 25, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Does ComStar currently have one, or are the Com Guards still considered a branch of ROM?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I think that, given the vacuum-lock potential of myomer, dumping LRM ammo is a poor idea. If you're ever in a situation where your ammo could blow, you're probably right hosed already.

You want as much possibility for long-range TAC's - or, as we always called them at the table, 'golden BBs' - as you can get, I think. I recall a 1-on-1 in vacuum game where I took an LRM hit on round 1, which was a TAC, which promptly locked up my center torso. One hit and poof! Match over. No sense giving up that possibility, I think.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
This mission had better be composed of nothing but raw brutality. :black101:

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Okay, wow. This is awesome. I can hardly wait to see how THIS fight goes.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
And I thought we had it bad with the fog at night.

What's the next mission, urbanmechs versus combat dropships on a lava planet with tornadoes?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

TildeATH posted:

What's the next mission, urbanmechs versus combat dropships on a lava planet with tornadoes?

Nope. Savanah Masters vs. Lava Tornados in a forest during a lightning storm.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Remember, guys - no being heroes here. Do not follow 'clan honor', do not engage in duels. You outnumber the foe (barring shenanigans with <REDACTED>, but even then we have our own infantry to run interference), so focus fire them down and let their molten fragments drift into deep space. We're the Com Guard, the most technologically advanced unit still bearing an Inner Spere banner. We need to win this, and decisively. They'll likely have some tricks up their sleeves (4 Daishis, AAAAAAAHHH), so be ready for anything - but work together and burn them down!

Do the players get the use of the jump-equipped infantry, or are they GM controlled, or will they not factor into this match?

Also, PTN, thank you again for another memorable battle. These sure are cool setpieces to introduce people like me to the tabletop version of Battletech, and everything so far has been awesome!

SageNytell fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 25, 2011

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nope. Savanah Masters vs. Lava Tornados in a forest during a lightning storm.
A low-gravity forest :eng101:

This is gonna be interesting.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
How do the Hell's Horses fell about one vs. one rules? They're more infantry heavy, so are they more used to the idea of multiple weaker opponents ganking a sngle stronger one.

Also, is one of the OpFor the dreaded PonyMech? Say yes.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

the JJ posted:

How do the Hell's Horses fell about one vs. one rules? They're more infantry heavy, so are they more used to the idea of multiple weaker opponents ganking a sngle stronger one.

I would LOVE to see that happen.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

SageNytell posted:

They'll likely have some tricks up their sleeves (4 Daishis, AAAAAAAHHH), so be ready for anything - but work together and burn them down!

I would be more fearful of the tricks being along the lines of 4 Warhawk Cs. Pulse Lasers + TC = Bullshit (except when you are using them...:D).

@XMas Future: Add EMI conditions :science:. Then you have yourself a winner.

Sair
May 11, 2007

landcollector posted:

I would be more fearful of the tricks being along the lines of 4 Warhawk Cs. Pulse Lasers + TC = Bullshit (except when you are using them...:D).

@XMas Future: Add EMI conditions :science:. Then you have yourself a winner.

Clan tech is always bullshit. Every single time.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

the JJ posted:

Nobody ever got around to getting me the stats for it. I could make it myself, of course, but it's probably a little on the light-weight side and lacking in jump jets.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
:suspense:

Hell yes.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Well, this looks like fun. Considering you have a couple mechs that run a bit hot, it might not be a bad idea to stake out some turn on the night side to maximize your firepower.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

CLNT-1-2R Clint

The Clint's an okay little machine, but honestly the 1-2R is my least favorite variant. It's got a good punch with the AC10, but the poor secondary weapons, lack of jump jets and the thin armor mean that it's a glass cannon that's not really that much cannon. But it's named for Clint Eastwood, so it's at least got that going for it.

WTH-1S Whitworth

On the other hand, the WTH-1S is one of my favorite mechs. Sometimes called the Shitworth, it's actually a solid if uncommon mech. While slow for it's size, the Whithworth is shockingly well armored and carries a ton of firepower. The standard -1 is a great cheapie fire support mech, and the -1S? Is an amazing urban brawler. This is one of those machines that just doesn't get enough respect.

WVE-5N Wyvern

Designed as another urban fighter, the Wyvern is not all that great in the role. It's a generalist mech, with a good mix of armor, mobility and firepower. It's got some minor heat issues, but nothing crippling. One useful thing to note is that it's packing CASE, so ammo explosions are not nearly as fatal as normal! That's... something. The biggest downside is that the mech's kinda ugly and is not very remarkable in general.

CRB-27 Crab

Speaking of ugly mechs! The Crab is at least visually distinctive. It packs a reasonably solid all-energy loadout, making it a good raider mech thanks to being logistically light. Despite what you would expect, it's also reasonably sinked if you're smart about it - though the quirky heat situation in our scenario might tip it into the realm of trouble. Again, though, it fits the theme we've developed here: well armored, reasonable firepower, okay mobility.

KTO-19 Kintaro

Haters gonna hate. The Kintaro is an okay machine in general - armor, mobility and damage are all okay. Some heat issues and it could do a little more damage for it's size, but nothing critical. What makes it interesting is the Narc Missile Beacon it packs. You'll notice we have a LOT of LRMs and SRMs here. Tag something with a Narc before that, and it makes all those missiles even better. Warning: Shooting a Clanner with a Narc constitutes an attack when you're looking at honor challenges! The Kintaro is the ace up our collective sleeve here.

CHP-1N Champion

Did I mention ugly? Yeah. The Champion's our biggest mech, but lacks in a lot of areas. Compared to the rest of our team it isn't any faster, it's less armored and doesn't pack all that much firepower. What it does have is the LB 10-X AC, which is the bestest weapon EVER. It's a mech shotgun, and the ultimate critseeking tool. Fire it all day, every day.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
If I'm reading this right, then this map gives us a bit of an advantage, doesn't it?

The clans can't really use the benefits of longer ranged weaponry on this map, right?

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nobody ever got around to getting me the stats for it. I could make it myself, of course, but it's probably a little on the light-weight side and lacking in jump jets.

I could try my hand at building it in SSW. Specifications, anyone? My proposed weapons loadout is at the minimum an ER-PPC and possibly 2 ER Medium Lasers as well as MASC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Interesting. I guess it would make sense that Miraborg joined ComStar to get away from the ISF since Rasalhague is still a part of the Combine. I guess Tyra won't be around to kamikaze into any flagships this time around?

The Precentor Iron Jarl will be off doing his thing in the background, we'll just have to see what it amounts to. Still not feeling ComStar, but a fight in vacuum on the surface of the DropShip will probably at least make for interesting watching. All those rules that come with it, too...

I guess we'll finally get to see what everyone was talking about with the stepped up gear and whether it will make a difference... I'm guessing it won't, but then again, what do I know?

• Locked thread