Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Ohh god I just got a HP ProLiant MicroServer. There selling these for $199au from HP.

So Anyone know where I can find a cheap external enclosure ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

What kind of an enclosure? For and external drive? Locking cage for the server?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So what's the deal with 3TB drives? The first one I saw, a WD, came with a controller card because :words: but not all drives do, so I'm not really sure what the deal is.

How would these things work with Solaris 11?

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

SynMoo posted:

What kind of an enclosure? For and external drive? Locking cage for the server?

ATM I have about 11 drives in my file server. So i am trying to figure how to run the other hard drives. (it can only accept 5 drives)

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

FISHMANPET posted:

So what's the deal with 3TB drives? The first one I saw, a WD, came with a controller card because :words: but not all drives do, so I'm not really sure what the deal is.

How would these things work with Solaris 11?

I know this is a bit of a sidestep and a nitpick, but unless you have a fantastic line on 3TB drives, why use them? They're hideously expensive for a small bump.

\/
When you evaluate it from a cost/GB perspective it's not too terrible, but damned if I'd ever buy single drives. I'd say that stowing 3TB at a time would mean mandatory RAID1 if you care about your data. Good point on the price/size ratio, though

PopeOnARope fucked around with this message at 09:50 on May 19, 2011

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003
3TB drives aren't hideously expensive.
Cheapest on newegg at the moment is a Hitachi for $129

23GB a dollar
or
25GB a dollar for their cheapest 2TB at $79

edit: 28GB/$1 with a 2TB if you count a $10 mail in rebate

If you have a limited number of drive bays and want to get the most storage space possible, the price isn't that much higher for 3TB.

lazydog fucked around with this message at 09:30 on May 19, 2011

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

I'm looking to consolidate and organize years worth of backups spread across CD-Rs, external HDD and floppies (yes really) onto a single external device. I'm thinking about getting a 2 bay DAS enclosure and setting it up for RAID 1 for a bit of added safety. Is there a brand of enclosure or complete solution with drives pre-installed that you guys generally recommend (or recommend against?)

Also, once I have all these files copied over and set up, can I back up a RAID 1 by removing one of the drives and popping in a fresh one? The removed drive should have a perfect copy of everything that was on the raid at that point, right?

Final question, what file system should I format in for maximum compatibility with mac and PC?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I just bought 4x Samsung F4 2TB drives, and installed the firmware update they needed. Now I am curious what is the best way to test to make sure they are good versus sending any back while they are still under the much easier Newegg return policy versus Samsung's warranty? Just run a non-quick format in Windows?

Or is their a better utility to test the drives with?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

jeeves posted:

I just bought 4x Samsung F4 2TB drives, and installed the firmware update they needed. Now I am curious what is the best way to test to make sure they are good versus sending any back while they are still under the much easier Newegg return policy versus Samsung's warranty? Just run a non-quick format in Windows?

Or is their a better utility to test the drives with?

You could check SMART with CrystalDiskInfo, but, really errors won't show up until you start using the drives.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Factory Factory posted:

You could check SMART with CrystalDiskInfo, but, really errors won't show up until you start using the drives.

I'm thinking a full low level (non-quick) format will at least write to every sector, so if something pops up it will do so then. I was just curious if anyone knew about any handy hard drive stress testing programs or such to try before committing my data to the drives-- especially before building a raid?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Devonaut posted:

I'm looking to consolidate and organize years worth of backups spread across CD-Rs, external HDD and floppies (yes really) onto a single external device. I'm thinking about getting a 2 bay DAS enclosure and setting it up for RAID 1 for a bit of added safety. Is there a brand of enclosure or complete solution with drives pre-installed that you guys generally recommend (or recommend against?)

Also, once I have all these files copied over and set up, can I back up a RAID 1 by removing one of the drives and popping in a fresh one? The removed drive should have a perfect copy of everything that was on the raid at that point, right?

Final question, what file system should I format in for maximum compatibility with mac and PC?
I usually just buy the drives and enclosure separately, although I can't say which ones are good. I have an older Icy Dock one but the fan noise is killing me. If you want to take a chance here's some USB 3 one with no reviews, or this one, or this USB 2 one (also on Newegg) with more reviews. There's a few more if you just search for "dual bay RAID", including 2.5" drive options if you want more portability and can live with less space.

As for backing it up, just do a regular backup. You don't want to mess with degrading and rebuilding just to copy the files over, it's just asking for trouble. Plus you may want to do other stuff like keep previous revisions (through some other backup app/process) rather than just a straight clone.

For max compatibility (native read/write in both OSes) ExFAT is basically the only choice. I've heard someone mention here or elsewhere that it doesn't do journaling and other good stuff that the other file systems do though, although it's more rugged than FAT at least from what I've read. If you're moving it around constantly and connecting to different computers then I'd give it a shot. If you plan to primarily use it on one, perhaps format it to that OS' native FS and share over the network to the other if possible.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
I am pondering 3 different options: (1) keeping my main computer loaded up with HDDs, (2) making my own NAS, or (3) buying a pre-built NAS.

I am not super concerned about raid currently and will be starting off with a random assortment of drives.

Option 1 is obvious. For option 2, building a NAS I was just going through my old components and found an old Athlon 64 X2, in a p180 case. Pretty much all that's salvageable is the case/psu so I'd be looking at buying a new mobo, cpu and ram (+ config).

Option 3, the pre-built NAS I was looking at is a Acer Aspire Easystore H341 for $339

Benefits of making my own is more flexibility, and depending on the board more HDD space. The pre-built (I am assuming) would be easier, but I have never used a system like this. For costs under $400 would be nice since I am also building a desktop.

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 19, 2011

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

japtor posted:

I usually just buy the drives and enclosure separately, although I can't say which ones are good. I have an older Icy Dock one but the fan noise is killing me. If you want to take a chance here's some USB 3 one with no reviews, or this one, or this USB 2 one (also on Newegg) with more reviews. There's a few more if you just search for "dual bay RAID", including 2.5" drive options if you want more portability and can live with less space.

As for backing it up, just do a regular backup. You don't want to mess with degrading and rebuilding just to copy the files over, it's just asking for trouble. Plus you may want to do other stuff like keep previous revisions (through some other backup app/process) rather than just a straight clone.

For max compatibility (native read/write in both OSes) ExFAT is basically the only choice. I've heard someone mention here or elsewhere that it doesn't do journaling and other good stuff that the other file systems do though, although it's more rugged than FAT at least from what I've read. If you're moving it around constantly and connecting to different computers then I'd give it a shot. If you plan to primarily use it on one, perhaps format it to that OS' native FS and share over the network to the other if possible.

Thank you, that's very helpful. I've done some searching already. For some reason I get a lot of single bay and JBOD products even when I'm searching specifically for 2 bay RAID. And then the customer reviews are skewed toward people with bad experiences so it's hard to get a feel for overall quality. But I think I have the one I want picked out now.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

PopeOnARope posted:

I know this is a bit of a sidestep and a nitpick, but unless you have a fantastic line on 3TB drives, why use them? They're hideously expensive for a small bump.

\/
When you evaluate it from a cost/GB perspective it's not too terrible, but damned if I'd ever buy single drives. I'd say that stowing 3TB at a time would mean mandatory RAID1 if you care about your data. Good point on the price/size ratio, though

I'm fine right now with my 5 1.5 TB drives in RAID 5, but I'm just curious what their deal is. I see the WD on NewEgg still comes with the controller card, but none of the other drives do.

Also, the 20 packs on NewEgg are way more expensive than buying 20 individual drives of the same model.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I know bugger all about ZFS, but today I was tasked with setting it up on a 24-bay server filled with 3TB discs and running Ubuntu 10.10 64bit. I followed this guide:

http://www.howtoforge.com/native-zfs-on-ubuntu

Which was excellent. ZFS appears to be installed correctly, and I can manipulate things. The problem, however, is that the pools and filesystems don't show up as being mounted in the OS. I followed the first steps of this tutorial:

http://flux.org.uk/howto/solaris/zfs_tutorial_01

...To create a pool with "zpool create tank /dev/sdb" (also tried /dev/sdb1), using a disc I'd given a FreeBSD partition table to with gdisk. The pool is created fine and shows up with zpool list. By this point, the guide implies /tank should be accessible but it does not show up. I also tried doing "zfs create tank/test" and that shows up fine in zfs list but again doesn't show up in the OS. All the examples I've googled seem to say that it should just show up with no extra work, but it doesn't.

I've also tried doing zfs mount -a to mount all filesystems, but still no joy. Does anyone know where I might be going wrong?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Anjow posted:

I know bugger all about ZFS, but today I was tasked with setting it up on a 24-bay server filled with 3TB discs and running Ubuntu 10.10 64bit. I followed this guide:

http://www.howtoforge.com/native-zfs-on-ubuntu

Which was excellent. ZFS appears to be installed correctly, and I can manipulate things. The problem, however, is that the pools and filesystems don't show up as being mounted in the OS. I followed the first steps of this tutorial:

http://flux.org.uk/howto/solaris/zfs_tutorial_01

...To create a pool with "zpool create tank /dev/sdb" (also tried /dev/sdb1), using a disc I'd given a FreeBSD partition table to with gdisk. The pool is created fine and shows up with zpool list. By this point, the guide implies /tank should be accessible but it does not show up. I also tried doing "zfs create tank/test" and that shows up fine in zfs list but again doesn't show up in the OS. All the examples I've googled seem to say that it should just show up with no extra work, but it doesn't.

I've also tried doing zfs mount -a to mount all filesystems, but still no joy. Does anyone know where I might be going wrong?

Are you sure you want to be doing this? Is this for anything remotely production? I'd be much more comfortable, if I were you, either install some form of Solaris and using ZFS, or using MDADM in Ubuntu.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Anjow posted:

Stuff

Yeah I would be running mdadm+LVM if you are using ubuntu.

EDIT: even in the comments people aren't too sure of it.

howtoforge.com posted:

sudo this was hilarious.
sudo i hope no one actually does what you suggest.
sudo end comment.

dj_pain fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 23, 2011

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

MDADM is the next step, Solaris isn't an option because this is all at the client's request.

I know very little about both ZFS and MDADM, I'm just learning as I go.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Anjow posted:

MDADM is the next step, Solaris isn't an option because this is all at the client's request.

I know very little about both ZFS and MDADM, I'm just learning as I go.

From http://zfsonlinux.org/, where those packages are from:

quote:

Please keep in mind the current 0.5.2 stable release does not yet support a mountable filesystem. This functionality is currently available only in the 0.6.0-rc4 release candidate.

If the client specifically requested ZFS on Linux, sure, give them a pre-beta release candidate of this or zfs-fuse. Otherwise, put together a bunch of regular RAID arrays in mdadm with a separate piece of software for snapshotting. Seriously.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 23, 2011

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah, client is stupid, Sam Walton was an idiot, the customer is not always right.

E: That guide is for .52, which doesn't include the File system stuff. With .52 you can make ZVOLs as block devices, and then create linux file systems on those block devices. With the .60 RC you can create ZVOLs and ZFS file systems. If you followed that guide exactly (and it sounds like you did) you'll only have ZVOLs, but you'll also be running something stable (though I'm not sure I'd trust even that for actual real world data).

If they can afford 24 3TB disks, they can afford to dedicate this server to Solaris, which is about the only possible complaint they could have (not being able to run Ubuntu programs on the Solaris system) as ZFS and Solaris is pretty set-it-and-forget it once it's all up and running in any way that would be equivalent to running ZFS on Linux.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 23, 2011

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Tell the client you have no clue what you're doing and that this could all blow up on them.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I'm just an amateur home user but I finally made the the choice, hope I get a lot of fun out of it!

Quick question though, at first I opted in for SHR Hybrid RAID but I erased it and wanted extra capacity of JBOD (which takes forever to set up), I should probably purchase another NAS in the future as a backup if I want to use JBOD right?

And sorry for the ridiculous question, but if I click on the whole music folder and upload it with the file browser, do I still retain my itunes meta settings such as ratings and playlists? If not, how would I do so? Thanks all!

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

caberham posted:

I'm just an amateur home user but I finally made the the choice, hope I get a lot of fun out of it!

Quick question though, at first I opted in for SHR Hybrid RAID but I erased it and wanted extra capacity of JBOD (which takes forever to set up), I should probably purchase another NAS in the future as a backup if I want to use JBOD right?

And sorry for the ridiculous question, but if I click on the whole music folder and upload it with the file browser, do I still retain my itunes meta settings such as ratings and playlists? If not, how would I do so? Thanks all!

With JBOD, one disk failure will either lose all data on the failed disk (best case), or lose all data on all disks (worst case), so yes, a backup of the stuff you have on it is a very good idea.

Re: music, it depends on what music software you use. iTunes, at least, stores that information in its library file, which is a separate document. If the ratings are stored in the ID3 tags of MP3s or in hidden/system files in each album folder, then copying the folder will carry those over, yes.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
With iTunes, there are two easy ways to copy your music. If you let iTunes organize your music, or you're willing to let it organize your music, change the library location within iTunes and then organize tracks, and it will copy everything into the new library location.

You can also change the "My Music" folder to be on the NAS (with TweakUI in XP or the folder properties in Vista/7) and then copy yourself whatever's in the old directory into teh new one.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

caberham posted:

don't use JBOD. Use RAID1.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

NewEgg has a decent deal on drives for their Memorial Day sale.

Hitachi Deskstar 5K3000 2TB 32MB - $59.99 after MIR and promo code EMCKEHF22
Seagate Barracude Green 1.5TB 5900RPM 64MB - $54.99 with promo code EMCKEHF28
Ginsu 04852 Essentials Series 5 Piece Prep Set w/Block - $14.99 with promo code EMCKEHF79

:ninja: links

KuruMonkey
Jul 23, 2004
I'm looking at getting a Synology (411j most likely).

My intention is that it will replace the 2x2TB USB drives dangling off my HTPC, making the data therein more conveniently available (single volume, single share, doesn't tax the HTPC when I access it) and also no longer rattling around under the telly. It will also mean that I have expansion capability, starting from a 2TB initial setup (I will fill ~3.6TB immediately after installation...)

My plan is to go JBOD, because 1: I want the full capacity of the drives I put in it available, and 2: I currently maintain a full backup of the 2 USB drives, so when the initial 4TB setup is made and populated, that will mean I have 3 copies of all the data. Nothing going on it is important enough to go further than that. (if the JBOD volume dies and is unavailable until I rebuild it...well I have to actually physically load DVDs into a slot for a few days, big deal)

I have a few questions, since I note several people here have these beasts...

If I start with 2 drives, when I want to add a third, can I expand the volume, or must I wipe and start again? Is there a way to image what's on the drives and then reload? (I mean, more convenient than "why yes; you copy all the data off then copy it all back on")

Can I set the NAS up to create 2 shares, with different credentials? (public and private, basically) How good is the synology software for doing this? (specifically; when accessing and managing from a Mac?) Can I set the share sizes? (better; can I leave them to grow dynamically as used?)

Has anyone used the iOS apps synology put out? Do they work well (they are, it must be said, the main reason I'm leaning to going with a synology rather than just a home-brew linux based thing - so if they suck...)

Lastly; how picky do I have to be about drives for this thing? In the UK, using the drive compatobility list, I find that of the ~20 models of HDD I'm offered on the vendor's site, only 2-3 will actually match anything on the compatibility list at all. (this seems to be a common issue with US derived HW compatability lists versus UK supply of devices, though)

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
Don't do JBOD.

KuruMonkey
Jul 23, 2004

what is this posted:

Don't do JBOD.

And your reasoning is?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

KuruMonkey posted:

And your reasoning is?

Double the failure rate, double the fun.

KuruMonkey
Jul 23, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

Double the failure rate, double the fun.

As I stated (at length) in the question post; don't care. RAID 1 means double the cost. Cost > Benefit for my purposes.

Any other reasons? Seriously; that reason doesn't cut it for my needs, but if there are other more relevant ones, I'm not close minded on the issue. (but constant availabilty of ripped Dr Who DVDs is only so important...)

Edit: can these machines run as neither RAID nor JBOD and just use one volume per device? So 2 drives is 2 shares, no redundancy but if one fails then only that one goes down? ('cause seriously I'm NOT doubling the amount of capacity I need to provide in this thing)

KuruMonkey fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 24, 2011

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

KuruMonkey posted:

As I stated (at length) in the question post; don't care. RAID 1 means double the cost. Cost > Benefit for my purposes.

Any other reasons? Seriously; that reason doesn't cut it for my needs, but if there are other more relevant ones, I'm not close minded on the issue. (but constant availabilty of ripped Dr Who DVDs is only so important...)

Edit: can these machines run as neither RAID nor JBOD and just use one volume per device? So 2 drives is 2 shares, no redundancy but if one fails then only that one goes down? ('cause seriously I'm NOT doubling the amount of capacity I need to provide in this thing)

As long as you're aware of the drawbacks of JBOD. It's not just that you don't have redundancy, it's that if one drive dies you could lose all the data. Your MTTF (mean time to failure) is cut in half. Just be aware of all that.

E: it also depends how the term JBOD is being used:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-RAID_drive_architectures#JBOD posted:

all disks being independently addressed, with no collective properties – each physical disk, with all the logical partitions each may contain, being mapped to a different logical volume: just a bunch of disks.
concatenation, where all the physical disks are concatenated and presented as a single disk.

If it's the first, you're totally fine, you're MTTF would be the same as a single disk, but you'd have to deal with two volumes. If it's the second, then you're MTTF might be cut in half, depending on how exactly the JBOD is setup.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 24, 2011

KuruMonkey
Jul 23, 2004
Yeah; I'm aware of all that, know what RAID is and isn't etc - all my actual questions are specific to the Synology units.

Would, though, be interesting to know which JBOD setup they do...

But overall, half the failure time isn't an issue, having to figure out which disk has failed, replace and rebuild the NAS on a failure isn't an issue - in my particular case.

Knowing the ~£260 bare unit + ~£150 minimum in HDDs I'm considering splashing out on isn't going to give me a huge case of buyer's remorse in 2 weeks, that is an issue :)

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

FISHMANPET posted:

With iTunes, there are two easy ways to copy your music. If you let iTunes organize your music, or you're willing to let it organize your music, change the library location within iTunes and then organize tracks, and it will copy everything into the new library location.

You can also change the "My Music" folder to be on the NAS (with TweakUI in XP or the folder properties in Vista/7) and then copy yourself whatever's in the old directory into teh new one.

Thanks for the itunes tip to switch the directory and then organize the library! I'm not really fond of the software but it does unify all my apple stuff so that's why I'm settling for it.

RAID does sound safer than the synology JBOD and I'm not really sure how thee synology JBOD works but oh well. Rebuilding a raid 1 array to me seems like forever so I'm going to be getting another NAS backup soon and if anything goes bad with main NAS I can use second NAS.

And I will have another off site backup and a additional internet upload like flickr for photos. Including the main computer so that's 5 different file sources for a home enthusiast I think it's pretty safe and more reliable than any RAID system and I get the capacity. Now if only I can afford money for 2 x 10 bay NAS then my storage problems of CDs, movies and non steam game ISOs should be a thing of the past!

Hopefully within next week I get more comfortable with the different software features!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Is there any reason to defrag a volume on a RAID array?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Is there any reason to defrag a volume on a RAID array?

Same reasons as to defrag a volume on a single mechanical drive. The filesystem you've used has to support it, though - copy-on-write FS like ZFS have an especially hard time with fragmentation.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
My DS211J has a UPS, but I accidentally pulled the plug out. I haven't noticed any issues, but is there anything I should run to make sure I don't have any corrupted files? (Is there a fsck?)

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006
Moey, if you're still around I'd be interested in comparing some more notes on these Qnap 809U's. I did go ahead and buy them, because I figured if most people were getting results like yours their forums and the internet would have exploded with rage by now.

I just finished getting my first one built today. Firmware that was released today. 8x3tb, one big RAID6, EXT4, write caching off and no encryption. Crossover cable between it and a Hyper-V host, with a guest VM the only thing attaching to it via iSCSI. Forced 1000/full on both ends, no jumbo frames, no other settings tweaked.

Works fine.

The RAID is built with 128k cluster size, so if you run benchmarks with sub 128k reads/writes it sucks balls. 128k-8mb I was seeing above 100mb/s both read and write.

I don't put a lot of stock in benchmarks though, so I added a couple 2tb LUNs to Microsoft DPM 2010 (running in the guest VM) and took a full backup of my Exchange server.

It backed up 350gb in 1:11:02, which is about what I was estimating (and I think that overlapped with another job that was already scheduled to run, as well).

Granted, my usage is probably a lot less random than many things, but I have a hard time thinking you can't get more out of yours with some tweaks.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

KuruMonkey posted:

Why would you use JBOD over Raid 0? Are you accessing lots of files and hope they'll be on different disks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

KuruMonkey posted:

And your reasoning is?

I think you're underestimating how much of a pain in the balls it is to recapture 1.8-3TB of data.