Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Redcorn
Apr 26, 2007
I am deeply flawed and unpleasant
I just got a check from my homeowners insurance for hail damage and I'm wanting to cash it or get a cashiers check in the same amount today but I don't have funds to cover it in my checking account and check is from citibank who have no offices here.

I do have the funds in a capital one account but, gently caress, they're another place with no offices here. Transferring from capone to my boa checking would be slower than just depositing the insurance check at boa and letting it clear.

I have 401ks at schwab and fidelity with enough, they have offices here, can they cash a check without having to do any kind of loan or paperwork++ crap?

Not wanting to do anything that will be hard or impact me in any way. Am I missing something? Is there a way to do this?

Reason for needing it today is roofer guy just had an opening and wants to start on mine asap and he's a friend of a friend so I'd like to try to do him right if it doesn't take a whole lot of effort on my part. He can't take the check I have already signed over to him for some reason.

John Redcorn fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
gently caress. Should I refuse to have a "smart meter" installed because of a possibly hazardous RF signal or are people being reactionary dingbats about them?

The trucks are circling the neighborhood now.

EDIT: some stuff.
http://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/sg-health-issues/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-20065631-54.html

http://www.good.is/post/smart-meters-dumb-backlash/

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124050416142448555.html

I'm also concerned about bees and migratory animal that might be affected by RF. Anything there?

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 24, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

John Redcorn posted:

I just got a check from my homeowners insurance for hail damage and I'm wanting to cash it or get a cashiers check in the same amount today but I don't have funds to cover it in my checking account and check is from citibank who have no offices here.

I do have the funds in a capital one account but, gently caress, they're another place with no offices here. Transferring from capone to my boa checking would be slower than just depositing the insurance check at boa and letting it clear.

I have 401ks at schwab and fidelity with enough, they have offices here, can they cash a check without having to do any kind of loan or paperwork++ crap?

Not wanting to do anything that will be hard or impact me in any way. Am I missing something? Is there a way to do this?

Reason for needing it today is roofer guy just had an opening and wants to start on mine asap and he's a friend of a friend so I'd like to try to do him right if it doesn't take a whole lot of effort on my part. He can't take the check I have already signed over to him for some reason.
Go to a cheque cashing place?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Very Strange Things posted:

gently caress. Should I refuse to have a "smart meter" installed because of a possibly hazardous RF signal or are people being reactionary dingbats about them?

The trucks are circling the neighborhood now.

People are being reactionary dingbats. No legitimate study has ever found that RF signals cause health problems.

John Redcorn
Apr 26, 2007
I am deeply flawed and unpleasant

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Go to a cheque cashing place?

It's for a lot of money, can those places change it to a cashiers check for cheap? I know they're supposed to charge a whole lot for actually cashing a check. edit: just called a place they said they'd have to cash it and charge 2.5%, gently caress that.

And I'm doing this as a favor to this roofer guy, $10-$20 extra out of pocket for me to do him a favor and have something less to think about, I'll do. More than that and I don't really care dick about when my roof gets started or done.

edit: never mind screw all this just depositing it and waiting.

John Redcorn fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 24, 2011

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I thought there was a more appropriate thread than this one, but since it's a small question...

What movie is this from?

Apparently that clip is from a 14-second single take if it helps any.

Daemus
Jun 20, 2008

Not entirely undoglike

Ror posted:

I thought there was a more appropriate thread than this one, but since it's a small question...

What movie is this from?

Apparently that clip is from a 14-second single take if it helps any.

Oldboy, I think. If that's a hammer he's swinging, it's definitely Oldboy. The movie isn't in black and white, so that threw me off a bit.

revolther
May 27, 2008
It is Old Boy, usually available on netflix streaming, and it's loving awesome with a hosed up story to boot.

Actie
Jun 7, 2005
Is there a clinical term for having a bad back?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Actie posted:

Is there a clinical term for having a bad back?

Lots of them. What's "bad" about the back in question?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

2508084 posted:

I'm all up in here with stupid questions. Anyone have legit sources about salon tanning or know what thread to post in about it? Skin care thread seems most appropriate but its more cleaning if the skin.

Mostly, what I want is A) not a t-shirt tan and B) stop my skin from going to crispy automatically. I burn super easy, do i need a higher spf sunscreen?

I don't know what a T-shirt tan is-- do you mean like a farmer's tan, where your arms are tan but if you take off your shirt the rest is pale?

Anyway, I would do a search in your city for salons that spray tan. Using a tanning bed is going to be damaging to your skin just like regular tanning is, and since you burn easily as is, it seems like you'd be asking for trouble, know what I mean? But some spray tans are really nice looking, just do your homework to find what one will work best.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

2508084 posted:

I'm all up in here with stupid questions. Anyone have legit sources about salon tanning or know what thread to post in about it? Skin care thread seems most appropriate but its more cleaning if the skin.

Mostly, what I want is A) not a t-shirt tan and B) stop my skin from going to crispy automatically. I burn super easy, do i need a higher spf sunscreen?

I’d think that W&W would be the place to start such a thread. Whether you are trying to get a ripped stomach or figure out the right accessories to go with your watch, it does seem to be the place for all things vanity.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Fire In The Disco posted:

I don't know what a T-shirt tan is-- do you mean like a farmer's tan, where your arms are tan but if you take off your shirt the rest is pale?

Anyway, I would do a search in your city for salons that spray tan. Using a tanning bed is going to be damaging to your skin just like regular tanning is, and since you burn easily as is, it seems like you'd be asking for trouble, know what I mean? But some spray tans are really nice looking, just do your homework to find what one will work best.
Spray tans are not a "base" tan though. It's just color being sprayed on you. Don't spray tan and not put sunscreen on, for instance.

But yeah, if you just want the color to make it look like you got sun, spray tans look good. Just don't get loving "jungle black" or any other color that's going to make you look orange/african American.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

What's the good options for shipping about 200 pounds of books, about a large suitcase's volume of clothes and a bike to Europe from the US?

Time is not an issue.

Are services like http://www.eurousa.us/ or http://www.excess-baggage.com/ worthwhile?

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

axolotl farmer posted:

What's the good options for shipping about 200 pounds of books, about a large suitcase's volume of clothes and a bike to Europe from the US?

Time is not an issue.

Are services like http://www.eurousa.us/ or http://www.excess-baggage.com/ worthwhile?

Unless they're rare or hard-to-find books, surely it would be vastly cheaper just to re-buy them second hand in the US?

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
Unless you're moving to Europe for a long enough period of time to actually read all those books, and you plan to do so, leave some of them behind with trusted friends or family.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Man I feel so stupid for asking this, but here goes...

Apparently I look like Edward Norton. I know this because I am told 2-3 times a week by strangers. I'd say 50% of them also think I sound exactly like him. The sheer number of times I hear this makes me think that there must be ten times as many people who think it but don't say anything about it. This occurrence has gone up lately, however, and last week I had a bout where 5 days in a row I had someone new comment on it. Two of those people then went on about how I need to be making money off of the lucrative Ed Norton look-alike industry. I joke about it, saying I should play Derek Vinyard for childrens' birthday parties, but because I hear it so much it really makes me wonder if it would be easy for me to get work as an extra or something and make a few bucks while doing something different.

What is the best way to approach this? I have no delusions of making millions in Hollywood as a young Ed, but I live near LA and have bits of free time so on the off chance that I could ever get a few seconds of screen time, I'd take it. Apparently I'm what Hollywood needs when it comes to the Edward Norton flashback scenes or younger relative niche. I figure I'd just need to send some pictures and a few words to some sort of agency and then forget about it all but since I have trouble taking this seriously I haven't been able to find much. I googled it once and the first few links seemed shady and un-professional. Anybody have experience or advice?

e: I know the first thing is going to be asking for pictures so I'll see if I can dig any up. The problem is that I've never actually seen it much in myself so I have trouble picking out a picture that makes it apparent and would have to ask a friend for their opinion. What would probably work for me is to just recreate some of his memorable scenes in a photo because if what's told to me is to be believed then the resemblance would be uncanny.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 25, 2011

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Teeter posted:

Man I feel so stupid for asking this, but here goes...

Apparently I look like Edward Norton.

Honestly, he's big enough that they would already have a double or three lined up. I would imagine he has at least one regular double on call. I understand you are thinking "younger him" but even that would probably be something his agent has already looked into. You could ask in the CineD subforums, as there are a fair amount of people in the biz there, who would know much more about this than I.

I'm not an expert on these matters in the least, but in order to get onto film, I am pretty sure you have to be a member of the Actors Guild (I am almost certain of this if the role involves speaking) and probably some other things as well. I don't think it's as easy as "Hey this person looks like that Actor so much we'll hire them".

That said, it probably wouldn't hurt to try, assuming you really are a dead ringer for him. I kinda doubt it, if you can't see it yourself though. I wouldn't try to emulate any of his roles, you would need to look enough like him outside of that to be considered, in my opinion. I mean, you either look like/resemble him or not. :)

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Barometer posted:

Honestly, he's big enough that they would already have a double or three lined up. I would imagine he has at least one regular double on call. I understand you are thinking "younger him" but even that would probably be something his agent has already looked into. You could ask in the CineD subforums, as there are a fair amount of people in the biz there, who would know much more about this than I.

I'm not an expert on these matters in the least, but in order to get onto film, I am pretty sure you have to be a member of the Actors Guild (I am almost certain of this if the role involves speaking) and probably some other things as well. I don't think it's as easy as "Hey this person looks like that Actor so much we'll hire them".

That said, it probably wouldn't hurt to try, assuming you really are a dead ringer for him. I kinda doubt it, if you can't see it yourself though. I wouldn't try to emulate any of his roles, you would need to look enough like him outside of that to be considered, in my opinion. I mean, you either look like/resemble him or not. :)

This is basically my thought on it exactly, just figured I'd bring it up because it's no exaggeration that I hear it from a stranger almost every single time I'm out in public. I have long-term plans of grad school and a future with absolutely no thoughts about ever seeing myself for even a second on the silver screen, but if there's even a one in a billion chance that I send my info out to some agency and get anything from 2 seconds in the background of some movie to becoming the next big thing and marrying Natalie Portman then I'll take it, because that one in a billion chance is more than I've got now.

The sheer number of times I hear it from new people, or the ridiculous amount of times I end up responding to "Norton" from someone who either uses it as a nickname or initially meets me under that impression and proceeds to use that instead of my name makes me want to at least put myself out there and then forget about it as I go on with my life. Only problem is I don't know how or where.

e: This seems even more retarded when I type it out, eesh. I think my point of view is that if people love him then someone exactly like him would be liked as well, except not as a lead role but more for "Average Looking Guy in Background A" type of deal.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 25, 2011

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Teeter posted:

Only problem is I don't know how or where.

e: This seems even more retarded when I type it out, eesh. I think my point of view is that if people love him then someone exactly like him would be liked as well, except not as a lead role but more for "Average Looking Guy in Background A" type of deal.

Well, I am pretty sure you will hear all the horror stories from those in the know over in CineD, but I also think those who are in the business are going to have the best insights as well. Personally, I don't think it's retarded to hope or try. Why not?

Youtube is one really good way these days to reach a huge audience. Especially if you do look a lot like him, that might be a good idea, combined with something funny and flavor of the week, showing up all over, and maybe something would happen. Who knows. :)

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Definitely waiting for your picture here.

If you seriously want to be his younger version or something, though, you'd have to act like he was acting, or at least act appropriately...

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Barometer posted:

If it's a film Edward Norton is in, they can afford to buy a lookalike a SAG card, though. Plenty of movies do this; off the top of my head The Social Network hired a Bill Gates impersonator and Watchmen hired a JFK impersonator (though with no lines) recently.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

marshmallard posted:

Unless they're rare or hard-to-find books, surely it would be vastly cheaper just to re-buy them second hand in the US?

I'm actually moving back to Europe after a few years in the US.

I'm ditching most of the stuff I have acquired in the US, but I really like to hang on to books. Many of them are hard to find or never published in Europe, so re-buying them all is not an option.

Actie
Jun 7, 2005

baquerd posted:

Lots of them. What's "bad" about the back in question?

The back's not mine, so this isn't perfectly precise. But throbbing pain in the lumbar region except when supine.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

feedmyleg posted:

If it's a film Edward Norton is in, they can afford to buy a lookalike a SAG card, though. Plenty of movies do this; off the top of my head The Social Network hired a Bill Gates impersonator and Watchmen hired a JFK impersonator (though with no lines) recently.

This. And actually, you would probably have more success trying to work as his stand-in/body double, which is a person that looks as close to the actor as possible (height, hair cut/color, skin) who stands around while the crew lights the scene, and possibly performs in scenes where his face isn't seen.

You can actually make a good amount of money doing that, like 300-400/day, or more in some cases.

If you don't want to get paid to stand around and look pretty, and you're pretty hearty and well-built, get some stunt training and put yourself in a position to be his stunt double. You would get paid even more to do that, but you might die or get seriously injured.

Aside from the rare occurrence where you might be playing a younger Norton, it will actually be a lot more difficult for you to get work if your resemblance is as uncanny as people seem to think. People don't want to cast actors that look like other big name actors unless it's a joke of sorts.

For example, my girlfriend was talking to Reese Witherspoon's stand-in on Water For Elephants, and apparently she came to Hollywood hoping to act, but had those dreams quickly dashed since she looked SO much like Renee (like, kids come up to her and ask for autographs all day every day).

Edit: also, it's impossibly retardedly hard to even so much as begin to crack the surface of getting into acting, so if you really aren't that interested, don't even bother. It sucks and you'll hate it. I'm not an actor, but I work with them every day.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Cool, thanks for the info. The amount of effort that I'm willing to expend doesn't go much further than putting together a few pictures and sending that out to some agency. I was just curious on what this sort of process is like because I'm conveniently located near LA while also being a doppelganger of an awesome celeb.

e: if anyone knows a good agency that would deal with this sort of situation then let me know so I can dig up contact details and shoot something off that I'll quickly forget about. As it stands now I've only found sketchy looking websites that aren't worth any time.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
Unless you have some sort of call ahead reference to an agency, there's a 99.9% chance they'll just throw away your photos before anyone of any importance looks at them. Most of them don't even accept unsolicited submissions.

I guess sending them to central casting wouldn't hurt. They would at least probably look at it.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I need to send someone who is in china a pdf file that about 140mb

Can anyone recommend a free file hosting site that can be accessed in china? I already tried my normal ones like mediafire and filedeposit, but he cant access them through the great firewall

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

I basically need to charge my phone (via USB) every day, but I use my laptop on the couch. Is there a cradle or something I can put the phone in that will hang on the back of the LCD panel so I don't sit on the drat thing?

e: I know there is this but a) it's dog ugly and b) sitck out and is likely to get knocked off.

Alternatively, where can I go to find out about fabricating something from silicon to do the job?

Big Bad Beetleborg fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 25, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

Can anyone recommend a free file hosting site that can be accessed in china? I already tried my normal ones like mediafire and filedeposit, but he cant access them through the great firewall
Dropbox?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Dead Alice posted:

I basically need to charge my phone (via USB) every day, but I use my laptop on the couch. Is there a cradle or something I can put the phone in that will hang on the back of the LCD panel so I don't sit on the drat thing?

Why not get a USB-electrical adapter and just plug it into a wall?

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

Teeter posted:

Cool, thanks for the info. The amount of effort that I'm willing to expend doesn't go much further than putting together a few pictures and sending that out to some agency. I was just curious on what this sort of process is like because I'm conveniently located near LA while also being a doppelganger of an awesome celeb.

e: if anyone knows a good agency that would deal with this sort of situation then let me know so I can dig up contact details and shoot something off that I'll quickly forget about. As it stands now I've only found sketchy looking websites that aren't worth any time.

I definitely think you should post a picture. You might generate some more interest if you really do look like him.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Jeffrey Colon posted:

I definitely think you should post a picture. You might generate some more interest if you really do look like him.

He should buff up, shave his head, get a swastika tattoo, and walk right into the nearest agency wearing only boxershorts and armyboots.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
What would happen if Old Faithful in Yellowstone was sealed off. Like if we dropped a massive boulder on it so the water couldn't go anywhere.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Fauxtool posted:

http://www.filedropper.com seems to be able to be accessed from China.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Liar posted:

What would happen if Old Faithful in Yellowstone was sealed off. Like if we dropped a massive boulder on it so the water couldn't go anywhere.

It'd take the path of least resistance, probably spurting out in a spot next to the boulder. Or shoot the boulder into space.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
Exactly. The geyser itself exists because pressure is being built up until its released. Block the release and it will simply keep building until something gives, whether that be the seal you've put over its old path, or some other crack up to the surface.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
A few weeks ago I found out about Google Map Labs, with one of the features being a lat/long marker I can place by right clicking in Google maps. This saves me a lot of time at work, but is there any kind of zip code overlay trick I could use with it? Googling for zip code maps gives me a few websites with a Google Maps inlay, but the lat/long feature doesn't work in those.

Basically I'm looking for help being lazy.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Knightmare posted:

It'd take the path of least resistance, probably spurting out in a spot next to the boulder. Or shoot the boulder into space.

Here's an example of water+pressure on a micro scale of if you were able to somehow attempt to contain it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxgPX5-cmvc&feature=player_detailpage#t=240s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I took the day off to wait for a washing machine repair man from Sears, and I find out halfway through my 4 hour window that I have been overbooked and therefore cancelled. Can I send Sears an invoice for time lost from work? If so, how?