Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

paragon1 posted:

If I'm reading this right, then this map gives us a bit of an advantage, doesn't it?

The clans can't really use the benefits of longer ranged weaponry on this map, right?

Or the clans reconfigured their mechs specifically for this kind of fight. Don't know how much time passed from the issuing of the challenge to the battle itself, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of nasty designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

landcollector posted:

I could try my hand at building it in SSW. Specifications, anyone? My proposed weapons loadout is at the minimum an ER-PPC and possibly 2 ER Medium Lasers as well as MASC.

If the ponymech destroys the goon team, I'm going to laugh and cry at the same time.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Never mind, found it.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Artificer posted:

If the ponymech destroys the goon team, I'm going to laugh and cry at the same time.

I tried to take a shot at it and it gets a bit scary. "Fast Light Medium with a laser on its head" sounds pretty good until you see it and you go "holy poo poo"

code:
Ponymech 

Mass: 45 tons
Tech Base: Clan
Chassis Config: Quad
Rules Level: Tournament Legal
Era: Clan Invasion
Tech Rating/Era Availability: F/X-X-D
Production Year: 3051
Cost: 10,002,100 C-Bills
Battle Value: 2,845

Chassis: Unknown Endo-Steel
Power Plant: Unknown 315 Fusion XL Engine
Walking Speed: 75.25 km/h
Maximum Speed: 118.25 km/h
Jump Jets: Unknown
    Jump Capacity: 210 meters
Armor: Unknown Ferro-Fibrous
Armament:
    1  ER Large Laser
    6  ER Medium Lasers
Manufacturer: Unknown
    Primary Factory: Unknown
Communications System: Unknown
Targeting and Tracking System: Unknown

================================================================================
Equipment           Type                         Rating                   Mass  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Endo-Steel                    83 points                2.50
    Internal Locations: 2 LT, 1 RT, 1 FLL, 1 FRL, 1 RLL, 1 RRL
Engine:             XL Fusion Engine             315                      11.00
    Walking MP: 7
    Running MP: 11
    Jumping MP: 7 Standard
    Jump Jet Locations: 1 CT, 3 LT, 3 RT                                   3.50
Heat Sinks:         Double                       12(24)                    2.00
Gyro:               Standard Gyro                                          4.00
Cockpit:            Standard                                               3.00
    Actuators:      L: H+UL+LL+F    R: H+UL+LL+F
Armor:              Ferro-Fibrous                AV - 134                  7.00
    Armor Locations: 1 CT, 1 LT, 1 RT, 1 FLL, 1 FRL, 1 RLL, 1 RRL

Internal       Armor      
                                                      Structure      Factor     
                                                Head     3            9         
                                        Center Torso     14           20        
                                 Center Torso (rear)                  5         
                                           L/R Torso     11           17        
                                    L/R Torso (rear)                  5         
                                       L/R Front Leg     11           14        
                                        L/R Rear Leg     11           14        

================================================================================
Equipment                                 Location    Heat    Critical    Mass  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ER Large Laser                               HD        12        1         4.00
3 ER Medium Lasers                           RT        15        3         3.00
Targeting Computer                           RT        -         2         2.00
3 ER Medium Lasers                           LT        15        3         3.00
                                            Free Critical Slots: 1

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:      4    Points: 28
7j         4       4       1       0      2     2   Structure:  2
Special Abilities: ENE, SRCH, ES, SOA

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Oh come on. The ComGuards don't have a Champion -1N2 instead? Have fun sticking to the dark side.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Upon reading the Mystery Box special rule it's apparent there was only ever one real choice.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

As a IT guy I really like the comguard. Somedays you just want to get into a giant robot, and blow your most annoying housecall the gently caress up.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Kai Katou, checking in.

So if I'm understanding this right, in addition to a few close combat weapons (which I'll need to be careful with using so as not to overheat), my Kintaro can attempt to "paint" a target and make allied missile attacks more accurate against that target, yes? And that I'm also probably going to want to keep to the dark side of the ship to help avoid potentially overheating?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

W.T. Fits posted:

Kai Katou, checking in.

So if I'm understanding this right, in addition to a few close combat weapons (which I'll need to be careful with using so as not to overheat), my Kintaro can attempt to "paint" a target and make allied missile attacks more accurate against that target, yes? And that I'm also probably going to want to keep to the dark side of the ship to help avoid potentially overheating?

The kintaro has a NARC missile. What that means, is that if you can land a hit with the NARC beacon, all missile attacks at that target in following rounds (unless the part the beacon hits is blown off) will have a bonus to the cluster hit table, which is the table that tells how many missiles out of the volley hit the target. It doesn't give a better chance of hitting in the first place, but hits will be more devastating.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Popy posted:

As a IT guy I really like the comguard. Somedays you just want to get into a giant robot, and blow your most annoying housecall the gently caress up.

To me the Comguard becomes space russians - Tukkyyaid may as well be Stalingrad.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

We are getting really cool scenarios in this LP! The fact that the Hell's Horses have only bid four 'mechs worries me though. I'm definitely expecting to see weapons specialized for the knife fight we'll have here. I don't think the thread has really experienced LBX-Autocannons, have we?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Where did we find out they had only bid four mechs?

Also, we have to use the BattleDome rule to full effect here. Make sure that all six of us can gang up on one clanner while keeping as far away as possible.

we should also go in with our LRMs armed.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
That's a really cool scenario. Can't wait to see how everything will turn out.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Someone give me a canon check;

Who is Tor Miraborg and who is the Smiling One?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Affi posted:

Someone give me a canon check;

Who is Tor Miraborg and who is the Smiling One?

Tor Miraborg shows up in the 3050 books. In particular, he's the grumpy old lord who hates mercenaries who gets pissed off at Phelan Kell (a mercenary) for falling in love with his daughter Tyra.

Beyond his plot role, he's a military leader (though not THE leader) in the Rasalhague revolution that frees the Rasalhague district from House Kurita (and part of the Lyran Commonwealth as well) and helps form the Free Rasalhague Republic. (Mind you, they have a lot of ComStar help in this.)

He's known as the Iron Jarl because, you know, Norse and stuff, and was pretty badass in his day...which is around now, in the revised continuity. (3030s) When we meet him in the books, he's a bitter old man who's time has come and gone, but right now he's in his prime.

---

The Smiling One is the nickname for Subhash Indrahar, the head spymaster for House Kurita. He's known for always being smiling and pleasant and for ordering you and everyone you've ever met tortured to death with the same polite smile on his face if he thinks you endanger the Combine. In this case it seems to mean that Indrahar and his spies rooted out the Rasalhague revolution and stomped it flat before Rasalhague could break free, forcing Miraborg to have to flee to join ComStar.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 09:27 on May 25, 2011

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
I'll give the PonyMech a shot, too.

code:
Type/Model:    Ponymech PNY-4U
Tech:          Clan / 3060
Config:        Quad OmniMech
Rules:         Level 2, Standard design

Mass:          45 tons
Chassis:       Endo Steel
Power Plant:   315 XL Fusion
Walking Speed: 75.6 km/h
Maximum Speed: 118.8 [151.2] km/h
Jump Jets:     None
Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor Type:    Ferro-Fibrous 
Armament:      
  4 Heavy Medium Lasers
  3 Flamers
  1 ER Large Laser 
Manufacturer:  (Unknown)
Communications System:  (Unknown)
Targeting & Tracking System:  (Unknown)

--------------------------------------------------------
Type/Model:    Ponymech PNY-4U
Mass:          45 tons

Equipment:                                 Crits    Mass
Int. Struct.:  83 pts Endo Steel             7      2.50
 (Endo Steel Loc: 3 LT, 2 RT, 1 LRL, 1 RRL)
Engine:        315 XL                       10     11.00
   Walking MP:   7
   Running MP:  11 [14]
   Jumping MP:   0
Heat Sinks:     12 Double [24]               0      2.00
Gyro:                                        4      4.00
Cockpit, Life Supt.:                         5      3.00
MASC:                                        2      2.00
Leg Act: Hip + UpLeg + LowLeg + Foot        16       .00
Armor Factor:  169 pts Ferro-Fibrous         7      9.00
 (Armor Crit Loc: 4 LT, 3 RT)

Internal    Armor
                          Structure   Value
   Head:                      3          9      
   Center Torso:             14         21      
   Center Torso (Rear):                  7      
   L/R Side Torso:           11      16/16      
   L/R Side Torso (Rear):              6/6      
   L/R Front Leg:            11      22/22      
   L/R Rear Leg:             11      22/22      

Weapons and Equipment    Loc  Heat  Ammo   Crits    Mass
1 Heavy Medium Laser     RFL     7           2      1.00
1 Heavy Medium Laser     LFL     7           2      1.00
1 Heavy Medium Laser     RT      7           2      1.00
1 Heavy Medium Laser     LT      7           2      1.00
1 Flamer                 LT      3           1       .50
1 ER Large Laser         HD     12           1      4.00
1 Flamer                 LRL     3           1       .50
1 Flamer                 RRL     3           1       .50
1 Targeting Computer     CT                  2      2.00
TOTALS:                         49          65     45.00
Crits & Tons Left:                           1       .00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost:        12,793,894 C-Bills
Battle Value:      1,425
Cost per BV:       8,978.17
Weapon Value:      1,587 / 1,587 (Ratio = 1.11 / 1.11)
Damage Factors:    SRDmg = 24;  MRDmg = 10;  LRDmg = 6
BattleForce2:      MP: 7,  Armor/Structure: 4/3
                   Damage PB/M/L: 4/3/1,  Overheat: 3
                   Class: MM;  Point Value: 14
                   Specials: omni
Ok, I suck at building 'mechs, but my vision of it is a close-range nightmare that can snipe you with the head laser until it can use MASC to close to muderin' range. The flamers are there for notional anti-swarm defense against PBI's.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nobody ever got around to getting me the stats for it. I could make it myself, of course, but it's probably a little on the light-weight side and lacking in jump jets.

Way to drop the ball Interrobang! :argh:

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
These ponies need more head mounted PPC's.*

*Will accept counting the 'head' of the pony as CT and the actual head as, say, one of the glowing eyes of doom.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Is it just me, or are we not using very much Lostech for Comguard?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Oh poo poo a narc beacon. All Comguard, Switch out for Narc Capable Lrms and SRMs, if you can narc one of the enemy that enemy suddenly becomes your chew toy. NARC is artemis on crack, but rarer because you have to shoot them with the beacon first and its more expensive. and hotload those lrms to remove the min range. Also the guy with an LB-X load cluster, each TAC you generate is a chance of a 10 11 or 12, and that means the harjel getting ruined and the mech breaching. Note: narc capable lrms and srms work just as fine as normal if not narc'd on so there is no downside. also repeat: DON'T RUN

Edit:

Artemis provides +2 to the table for how many hits

A NARC provides -1 to hit (you hit easier) and that +2 to cluster hits. its up to you if you have artemis which to use. IF you do not have artemis, load narc ammo you goon.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 12:12 on May 25, 2011

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Oh man! A scenario in space and we're comguard. This looks like it'll be fun to watch.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

the JJ posted:

These ponies need more head mounted PPC's.*

*Will accept counting the 'head' of the pony as CT and the actual head as, say, one of the glowing eyes of doom.

I'm pretty sure the Mad Cat has a bunch of fake cockpit panels all over the torso to camouflage where the real "head" of the 'Mech is, so that sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

see if poptarts will accept a torso mounted cockpit for the pony, then you could mount 2 erppcs in the head.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
My Ponymech: 25-ton 7/11/7 IS quadriped mech with one medium laser in the head and maximum armor (missing one point in CTR). Small and agile.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

AtomikKrab posted:

Oh poo poo a narc beacon. All Comguard, Switch out for Narc Capable Lrms and SRMs, if you can narc one of the enemy that enemy suddenly becomes your chew toy. NARC is artemis on crack, but rarer because you have to shoot them with the beacon first and its more expensive. and hotload those lrms to remove the min range. Also the guy with an LB-X load cluster, each TAC you generate is a chance of a 10 11 or 12, and that means the harjel getting ruined and the mech breaching. Note: narc capable lrms and srms work just as fine as normal if not narc'd on so there is no downside. also repeat: DON'T RUN

Edit:

Artemis provides +2 to the table for how many hits

A NARC provides -1 to hit (you hit easier) and that +2 to cluster hits. its up to you if you have artemis which to use. IF you do not have artemis, load narc ammo you goon.

It's actually iNarc that gives the -1 to BTH, regular narc doesn't.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

GhostStalker posted:

I guess we'll finally get to see what everyone was talking about with the stepped up gear and whether it will make a difference... I'm guessing it won't, but then again, what do I know?

Well....

Gothsheep posted:

Is it just me, or are we not using very much Lostech for Comguard?

This. Like I said earlier, these are six Mechs you'd not much mind losing from the actual assault. But honestly, the stock 2750 SLDF/ComStar Mechs don't have all that much lostech. The Clan-killer Tukayyid variants are a bit better in that regard.

Affi posted:

Where did we find out they had only bid four mechs?

PTN said the odds were 1.66667:1 and goons fail at math. Personally, I think they bid 3 Mechs and no one's counting the Champion.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

The Merry Marauder posted:

PTN said the odds were 1.66667:1 and goons fail at math. Personally, I think they bid 3 Mechs and no one's counting the Champion.

Hey! I'm sure I won't die instantly.

Also, PTN did you send me a mail, cause if you did I gotta check my spam folder?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Technically the Hell's Horses totem mech is the Thunder Stallion, which is a 85 ton quad with an LB-20X and 4 LRM-15 racks.

I'll make my post on Omnimechs soon, mainly focused around the designs introduced in 3050.

Edit: Oh, and for those that aren't aware, the Lola III is a Destroyer, CHH has two per the fluff, the CHH Gold Knight and the CHH Red Knight.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 25, 2011

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Enforced short range engagements and I'm in a Whitworth?

Yeah. I'm okay with this :clint:

I'm sure I'll get TAC'd on turn one but you rolls da dice you takes ya chances.

PTN, do the hexes on both boards count as light side, dark side, or neither?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

one is light one is dark, the edges cause you to flip to the other and are neutral. also the battlefield negates the clan mobility advantage, it negates the range advantage, kick some rear end.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

AtomikKrab posted:

one is light one is dark, the edges cause you to flip to the other and are neutral. also the battlefield negates the clan mobility advantage, it negates the range advantage, kick some rear end.

Not only that, Clanners generally run cooler because they have Double Heat Sinks as standard. Keeping the fight on the dark side of the ship will help your less efficient machines keep cool, which works that much better.

Just remember, only the Wyvern and Whitworth have Jump Jets, so they're the only ones who can do rescues. They're also the only ones who should risk running, and even then, only in emergencies.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Would losing a leg (or even just the actuator/gyro/whatever) and then getting shoved result in a pilot test to avoid floating away? If you can intentionally shove off a non-jump jet mech, you get 2-3 turns where he is incapacitated and a jump-jet capable mech is tied up trying to bring him back. With only 4 enemies you could conceivably neutralize half their force for a few turns.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Taerkar posted:

Edit: Oh, and for those that aren't aware, the Lola III is a Destroyer, CHH has two per the fluff, the CHH Gold Knight and the CHH Red Knight.

Doubly so for those not familiar with the universe - there's three sorts of *ships.

Dropships are the only ones that are atmosphere-capable. They usually ferry troops from orbit to ground, and are sometimes used as light carriers or super-heavy fighters themselves. No dropship has interstellar capabilities, and are usually only lightly armed and armored. They normally mass between 1,500 and 10,000 tons, with the most extreme outlier being the 100,000 ton Behemoth.

Jumpships are mostly unarmed interstellar ships, designed primarily to carry dropships from star to star. They are rarely armed and only lightly armored, usually being considered non-combatants. They range in size from 90,000 tons to 380,000 tons and carry anywhere between 1 and 9 dropships.

Warships are a jumpship that is designed for, well, war. They are extremely rare and ridiculously expensive - and also obscenely deadly. A small warship - a corvette - will mass between 150,000 and 250,000 tons.

The Fox class corvette clocks in at 240,000 tons, costs $16 billion, carries 5 dropships, packs 26 captial-class weapons (each more than ten times as powerful as the mech-scale equivalent), and is armored by almost 400 tons of armor.
The closest equivalent jumpship, the Star Lord, is unarmed, has no armor and costs $750 million.

Our plucky Union in this scenario is 3,600 tons, has no capital-class weapons and minimal armor.
The Lola III we see here is a destroyer, weighing in at 678,000 tons and a cost of $1.9 trillion. The armor and firepower are double that of the Fox. Including the Naval equivalent of 12 large lasers, 16 Naval AC10s and 7 Naval-class missile launchers, all of which will instantly destroy the Union if they hit.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

So what fabulous prizes do Comstar win if they ace this Trial? Or do they not know to ask for anything?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

raverrn posted:

So what fabulous prizes do Comstar win if they ace this Trial? Or do they not know to ask for anything?

Given that we'll be breaking Zell about a minute into the engagement (unless not doing so is a specific objective from PTN) I don't think we're going to be winning anything

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

You don't have to hold onto zell to win a trial, you will be seen as a rear end in a top hat but its still a legal trial.

Also luckily the clanners will be loathe to turn their warships guns on the dropship, very very dishonorable.

And comstar might have their own warship lurking in the shadows.

As for fluff, the largest warship ever clocks in at 2.4 million tons, eventually the ghost bears make... 2 right before the jihad, one sucks a nuke and laughs it off.

OH right, nukes are legal in a space fight, as long as you are... over 75k kilometers from a planets surface the ares conventions allows you to use nukes against warships.

EDIT:

If you feel lucky, demand fabulous prizes from hells horses if you win, and try to follow zell in that case, you have a numerical advantage so you can wait and fight someone weakened. I would go with some Omnimech technology since <REDACTED> have not shown up, get salvage.

VVVVVVVVVVV
This is just to land on the planet, we will likely have to do a seperate for the person back.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 25, 2011

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

UberJew posted:

Given that we'll be breaking Zell about a minute into the engagement (unless not doing so is a specific objective from PTN) I don't think we're going to be winning anything

If we're smart, we ask for Myndo back. And then space her once we've found out exactly how much she told the Clans.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

UberJew posted:

PoptartsNinja in the OP posted:

Fluffy Gameplay:
I will be playing a ‘fluffy’ game. Which is to say, I’m going to do my best to use tactics appropriate for the army I’m fielding. I do not expect the same from you players (i.e., while my Kurita commanders may step forward during a lull in the battle to attempt to challenge a single enemy ‘Mech to single combat while the rest of my forces watch without shooting, I do not expect Goons to attempt to do the same (in fact, since that particular maneuver is blatantly suicidal, I actively discourage you from making the attempt even if you are a House Kurita unit)). This does mean, however, that you can exploit certain enemies who prefer single combat (i.e. the Draconis Combine and the Clans, and nobody else) by issuing a ‘challenge’ to a specific enemy unit. If the single combat is interrupted by the actions of another Goon, I will react accordingly. Again, this may change once we hit the MegaMek stage of the game.

Barring specific instructions or an unwinnable scenario requiring something on the order of Steiner rules, nah, you're good. Cross the drat streams all you want. Figure you get a one-turn surprise of them using really shoddy tactics? Might make the difference, combined with the limits placed on their mobility.

AtomikKrab posted:

VVVVVVVVVVV
This is just to land on the planet, we will likely have to do a seperate for the person back.

Oh, I hope so - a two parter would be so cool, if incredibly hard. Fight off a second trial on the ground, or perhaps a daring raid, with already-damaged mechs and weary mechwarriors... Very cool stylistically, but it'd be hard to make it work.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

jng2058 posted:

If we're smart, we ask for Myndo back. And then space her once we've found out exactly how much she told the Clans.

Except by now she's probably with the Goliath Scorpions, captured in a Trial of Possession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

SageNytell posted:

Oh, I hope so - a two parter would be so cool, if incredibly hard. Fight off a second trial on the ground, or perhaps a daring raid, with already-damaged mechs and weary mechwarriors... Very cool stylistically, but it'd be hard to make it work.

This Trial is taking place at a jump point, where Our Heroes are investigating for signs of our lost and lamented Precentor, so it will be a different force that lands on the planet (which will presumably be off camera, which is a shame; Crocketts, Highlanders, and King Crabs, oh my).

• Locked thread