Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManicParroT
Aug 31, 2007

by T. Finn
People who want to move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Wimps, in other words.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape
Healthy spines are for the weak and timid!

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
God I can't stand bullshido. So many assholes berating the new guys. And a respected poster was arguing that Matt Hughes is a BJJ black belt. I just closed the tab, never to go back.
Glad you're all here.

Adolfo Castro
Aug 6, 2002
"I think rape is fucking hilarious."
So the good doctor just banned me from Muay Thai, BJJ and Wrestling forever.

We'll see.

Got a prolapsed disk in the neck.
Basically he said putting any stress on the neck would be dangerous as I'm very close to surgical. Stress includes weighted workouts, and of course any grappling. I said that I want a rescan in 3 months to see if it's any better and he agreed, but basically no grappling for me of any type (muay thai, wrestling or bjj) for the next month at least.
probably 3
maybe forever.
I'll get a second opinion as I'm not ready to cash in my bjj/mma life just yet, although ending on a win is nice.

Adolfo Castro fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 25, 2011

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
That loving sucks.

Is there any chance of going for a surgical solution and coming back in 12 months after some rehab and physio?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Nierbo posted:

God I can't stand bullshido. So many assholes berating the new guys. And a respected poster was arguing that Matt Hughes is a BJJ black belt. I just closed the tab, never to go back.
Glad you're all here.

Why don't you think Matt Hughes is on black belt level?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

niethan posted:

Why don't you think Matt Hughes is on black belt level?
I never said don't I think that.

Grr8
Mar 22, 2006
a'blocka bla'kow

Adolfo Castro posted:

We'll see.

Basically he said putting any stress on the neck would be dangerous as I'm very close to surgical. Stress includes weighted workouts, and of course any grappling. I said that I want a rescan in 3 months to see if it's any better and he agreed, but basically no grappling for me of any type (muay thai, wrestling or bjj) for the next month at least.
probably 3
maybe forever.
I'll get a second opinion as I'm not ready to cash in my bjj/mma life just yet, although ending on a win is nice.

Nooooooo! Hope it heals up man, but def. take care of it to help it along. Sorry to hear about the injury. :(

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Nierbo posted:

I never said don't I think that.

I don't get your problem then I guess he probably should have said "matt hughes grapples at black belt level" :confused:

ManicParroT
Aug 31, 2007

by T. Finn
Having a BJJ black belt is obviously not the same as grappling at a black belt level. I'm sure Masahiko Kimura could hang with any black belt BJJ practitioner ever, but obviously he didn't have a BJJ black belt, because he was a judoka.

Adolfo Castro
Aug 6, 2002

Smegmatron posted:

That loving sucks.

Is there any chance of going for a surgical solution and coming back in 12 months after some rehab and physio?

Surgical on spine is quite invasive and would probably weaken it in the long term, so I'm going to rehab like nuts for the next few months and see where it goes.

Grr8 posted:

Nooooooo! Hope it heals up man, but def. take care of it to help it along. Sorry to hear about the injury. :(

Appreciated. poo poo happens.

Adolfo Castro fucked around with this message at 08:37 on May 25, 2011

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Holy balls, that sucks, Adolfo. I really hope it works out for you. How did you get the injury in the first place?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Adolfo Castro posted:

Oh drat, that really sucks. Very sorry to hear. I really really hope the rehab helps.

Just... best wishes.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
gently caress... Wish you the best of luck Adolfo. Let's hope you can come back to the sport in a few months.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Adolfo Castro posted:

We'll see.

probably 3
maybe forever.

Wow. That really sucks. I hope by some miracle of the fighting gods your neck gets better.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Adolfo Castro posted:

That is absolutely terrible and I'm sorry to hear it.

Go for second and third opinions, see about surgical solutions... hopefully there's something out there for you, man.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Adolfo Castro posted:

drat, hope it corrects itself over time

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Awful. What was the original injury that caused it? What technique or whatever?

Adolfo Castro
Aug 6, 2002

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Awful. What was the original injury that caused it? What technique or whatever?

Appreciate the good wishes. No specific technique, comp in march was when it got bad though. No idea. Gonna buy an inversion table, get a second opinion, third until someone tells me it's okay to keep grappling. Not quitting combat sports or anything, focusing on striking for the next month or two, together with flexibility and body weight exercises. Pretty drunk now though, sucks telling your instructor that you have to take a 3 months break when you're expecting your blue belt any time, coming off a comp win. Especially when that instructor is Peter De Been who you had scheduled private lessons with next week.

2 part vodka, 1 part Bacardi, 2 mint leaves, lemon wedge topped off with ice and lemonade is getting me through it though.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Adolfo Castro posted:

That sucks. We just had a guy get banned by his doc for similar reasons and it was pretty devestating for him. Keep your chin up, maybe take up Yoga in the meantime to keep yourself limber.

Dead Man's Ham
Dec 2, 2002
Can anyone let me know if this place seems legit? http://alliancegreenville.com/jiu-jitsu/

I tried to check them out last year, but they were very reluctant to let me take any trial classes and I think their shortest contract was either 6 months or a year at like 120 bucks a month. From what I can tell it seems the instruction seems to be good - but im not 100% on their business practices.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Dead Man's Ham posted:

Can anyone let me know if this place seems legit? http://alliancegreenville.com/jiu-jitsu/

I tried to check them out last year, but they were very reluctant to let me take any trial classes and I think their shortest contract was either 6 months or a year at like 120 bucks a month. From what I can tell it seems the instruction seems to be good - but im not 100% on their business practices.

They seem 100% legit, assuming they are not just wholesale lying about basically everything.

I mentioned in the OP: many legitimate schools are going toward long term contracts because it makes longer term financial planning much easier, and probably makes them more money overall. 120 a month is pretty standard if you can train as many classes as you want.

I think the longterm trend is that more legit schools are adopting a more "McDojo" business model because it makes it actually profitable to own an MA school. Not to say that the instruction will be inferior, you'll just see more schools using contracts, offering kid's events, etc. It kind of sucks, but it's also a good thing because it makes "professional martial artist" a legitimate career path for people that don't want to spend their whole lives scraping by for money.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Adolfo Castro posted:

Appreciate the good wishes. No specific technique, comp in march was when it got bad though. No idea. Gonna buy an inversion table, get a second opinion, third until someone tells me it's okay to keep grappling. Not quitting combat sports or anything, focusing on striking for the next month or two, together with flexibility and body weight exercises.
Best of luck. Take some time to think about where you're at and what you want to do. With my eye injury, I won't ever be fully comfortable sparring again, but it pains me to see any combat sports going on, cuz I just want to do the same. Nevertheless, I've been slowly getting around to the idea that even the things I love aren't necessarily safe to do anymore. It's really painful, to get up in the morning and realize that you are 100% capable of just getting out there and training and sparring and getting your licks in.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
If you're not out permanently you should still make it a point to show up sometimes even if it's just to watch. There will be less kinks when you start practicing again and you will not come back as a stranger. It sounds though like you might be too tempted to step on the mat and get in trouble though. At the least I would hope your school would respect your need to recover and not coax you out to get permanently wrecked.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

ManicParroT posted:

I'm sure Masahiko Kimura could hang with any black belt BJJ practitioner ever

Yeah, legends are cool and all, but I seriously doubt this, not that we can ever know.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Disk injuries are no joke so please treat it very carefully and give it a lot of thought before you make a decision to return or not. I myself have disk injuries from grappling including ones at C5 C6 and C7. I also have degeneration at C1/C2. I weigh everyday the costs of this sport and have come very very close to quitting. The price I've paid to continue is enormous and I've have lost nearly all strength in my right bicep only to build it back up over the course of 2 years and have lost almost all strength in my left tricep and am only now slowly building it back up after a year. I still have numbness and pain in my fingers and hands and occasionally will lose coordination and fine motor skills in my hands. If I suffer one more cervical injury I am certain that I am finished in this sport. I am training for the No Gi Pan Ams and Mundials but am uncertain about whether I can accept the chance of permanent injury any more. I've had teammates who have had to have neck fusions so this is not uncommon in our sport.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Anyone else using memorial day weekend to train? I've pieced together a great training schedule based on what's open while I'm off work. 2 hour bjj open mat, 3 judo classes, and three kyokushin classes. I'm going to spend all my other hours playing video games. I am so excited

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Adolfo Castro posted:

That... is loving horrible :(

I hope things work out

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I put somebody to sleep with a triangle tonight. Pretty scary, really, because there was no sign he was unconscious except for the little voice in my head saying "they've usually tapped by now". He started snoring when we laid him flat, but with his eyes glassy and open. It was weeeeeird.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
How does that happen other than the dude having an inflated ego or a super tiny carotid? Was he struggling or trying to break it before he went out? Usually if they haven't tapped and also aren't actually trying to get out of a submission I ask if I'm doing it right, mainly to make sure they're still awake. It's scary when you're 99% sure you've locked something up properly but there's no reaction at all from the other person. I don't want a manslaughter charge because somebody was too proud to tap out of a choke :ohdear:

My huge BJJ revelation this week was that yes, you do get hit in the face quite often and a mouthguard is a good investment. Especially when your health insurance will cover the full cost of having a fitted one made up. I landed on my face when someone tried to sweep me and one of my canines went through my top lip. I have never seen these shades of blue and purple before in my life.

Smegmatron fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 27, 2011

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Smegmatron posted:

How does that happen other than the dude having an inflated ego or a super tiny carotid? Was he struggling or trying to break it before he went out? Usually if they haven't tapped and also aren't actually trying to get out of a submission I ask if I'm doing it right, mainly to make sure they're still awake. It's scary when you're 99% sure you've locked something up properly but there's no reaction at all from the other person. I don't want a manslaughter charge because somebody was too proud to tap out of a choke :ohdear:

My huge BJJ revelation this week was that yes, you do get hit in the face quite often and a mouthguard is a good investment. Especially when your health insurance will cover the full cost of having a fitted one made up. I landed on my face when someone tried to sweep me and one of my canines went through my top lip. I have never seen these shades of blue and purple before in my life.

I know I almost passed out once because I was trying to get out and failed. Everything was fine until I started to feel lightheaded and tapped as fast as I could. I was probably 1 sec away from being out so it definitely can "surprise" you I think if you don't recognize the signs.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Smegmatron posted:

When I have a triangle not-quite-on I sometimes kick them over sideways and tighten it on the way over. What I think happened is, I was sitting there wondering what I was doing wrong (when I actually had it on), and kicked/tightened it, but the moment I kicked him over was the moment he tried to tap.

The other guy isn't particularly prideful, it was just bad luck, I think. He has no idea, he has a neat little 30 second memory gap.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Smegmatron posted:

How does that happen other than the dude having an inflated ego or a super tiny carotid? Was he struggling or trying to break it before he went out?

Every time I've ever put somebody out it was because I had a pure blood choke that put no pressure on the trachea. So by the time they realize it was there they are already snoring. A perfect blood choke will put somebody out very quickly when you're rolling.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Smegmatron posted:

I've been choked unconscious a couple times (once during a competition). It always happened because the choke was on so good that I was unconscious before I knew I was going out.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Any of you guys ever train in Thailand for muay thai? I'm going there this summer for almost a month and am trying to decide which camp(s) I should train at.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Smegmatron posted:

How does that happen other than the dude having an inflated ego or a super tiny carotid?

I like to think that I tap whenever I need to, but I can also hang out in chokes for a pretty long time until I'm forced to tap, but I've still had a couple of times where I've passed out without consciously deciding that I'm not going to tap. Sometimes the blood choke just comes on so fast, you think you're still in the game, but you're actually gone.
The first time someone chocked me out completely was with a gi-choke, and I remember doing things to counter it that didn't actually happen. Apparently my brain made up a story on its own that had no root in what actually happened.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Jerome Louis posted:

Any of you guys ever train in Thailand for muay thai? I'm going there this summer for almost a month and am trying to decide which camp(s) I should train at.

I had a friend who trained at http://www.tigermuaythai.com/ in Phuket, and he liked it a lot.

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

Jerome Louis posted:

I trained at WMC in Koh Samui for a couple of months. Tons of quality trainers and a good atmosphere. Only down side is Koh Samui is a tourist hell hole, then again if you end up in Phuket there is no difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

Jerome Louis posted:

Not yet, going to go train at Lanna muay thai in Chiang Mai for a few months later in the year. When I'm not working 24/7

Hope the neck is ok Adolfo!!!!

• Locked thread