Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

ApexAftermath posted:

I'm surprised to be the first to post this. The Man with No Name Trilogy on Blu Ray for $23.99 as Amazon's Deal of the Day.

I've never seen any of these but I am really tempted to blind buy at this price. I have to believe that I would like these movies if I gave them a chance.
The films are great, but I've held off because MGM's TGTBTU looks like poo poo compared to the Italian disc.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Criminal Minded posted:

I hate how they take the coupon from the MSRP and not the actual price that it sells at.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Asnorban posted:

I hate how they take the coupon from the MSRP and not the actual price that it sells at.

I haven't checked but if it's off the MSRP then I bet they are still like 25-30 dollars after discount. You could get them for that price at best buy and not have to wait for something to ship. I hate these "deals that really aren't deals". Barnes and Nobles is also an offender of this.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

ApexAftermath posted:

I haven't checked but if it's off the MSRP then I bet they are still like 25-30 dollars after discount. You could get them for that price at best buy and not have to wait for something to ship. I hate these "deals that really aren't deals". Barnes and Nobles is also an offender of this.

It comes out to $20. So it is still a decent price, but not so enticing that I have to order it now when I should probably hold on to that $20.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

frumpsnake posted:

The films are great, but I've held off because MGM's TGTBTU looks like poo poo compared to the Italian disc.

There are also no special features, which is a killer for me. I have two different people I can borrow the DVD's off of (we bought them for my Dad and my father-in-law at different times as gifts) and I already have TGTBTU on BR in the two disk edition with a lot of great extras. I'd honestly rather buy them all separately with special features than together without them.

They haven't released all of these separately yet though, so it comes down to your preferences really. I just don't see the point in buying something on BR if there aren't any special features. There are always exceptions, but that's a general rule for me.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Geekboy posted:

There are also no special features, which is a killer for me. I have two different people I can borrow the DVD's off of (we bought them for my Dad and my father-in-law at different times as gifts) and I already have TGTBTU on BR in the two disk edition with a lot of great extras. I'd honestly rather buy them all separately with special features than together without them.

They haven't released all of these separately yet though, so it comes down to your preferences really. I just don't see the point in buying something on BR if there aren't any special features. There are always exceptions, but that's a general rule for me.

There are special features for all the movies in the Man With No Name set, what are you talking about?

edit: review for reference

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Geekboy posted:

If you have a Target near you they have individual releases of all three of these for like $15.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

RichterIX posted:

If you have a Target near you they have individual releases of all three of these for like $15.
Saw them on sale for $10 recently, don't know if they still are though.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
The UK release is also usually pretty cheap, good for A and B regions, all are packaged as individual cases in a cardboard slip, and they include half a dozen postcard sized prints from the films.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Guess I shouldn't trust Amazon to give me special features info. Shows what I know.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

DVD Beaver on Lolita:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare/lolita.htm

Also, Ben-Hur is only about $20 if you buy the UK edition:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003BNY6XU/ref=nosim?tag=dvdbeaver-21&link_code=as2&creativeASIN=B003BNY6XU&creative=374929&camp=211189

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

The Big Lebowski announced for 8/16 in a sweet lookin' limited edition digibook.

Spraynard Kruger fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 24, 2011

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009
And it's already up for pre-order on Amazon for $20.99.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The Beev on Barry Lyndon

I'm so happy right now.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The Beev on Barry Lyndon

I'm so happy right now.

Wow, it really does look like a film made up of oil paintings. They really did a fantastic job remastering. Imagine had this film been handled by Universal.

This is a film that is terribly overlooked in Kubrick's filmography. Even if you don't care about the content, the cinematography alone will make your jaw drop.

By the way, the caps for Once Upon a Time in the West look jaw-dropping. Not a bit of DVNR or sharpening bullshit, just a clean grainy Techniscope image.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

For those who get tremendously upset about such things, Barry Lyndon is framed at 1.78 instead of 1.66. And unlike some of Kubrick's other films where there's some debate, all the evidence seems to point to 1.66 being the "correct" aspect ratio.

There's a thread with screenshots somewhere over on criterionforum.org. You're barely missing any of the image, but some folks are up in arms about it.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I can understand criticizing the release over it, since it isn't a big deal to show 1.66:1 on a widescreen TV, but to get up in arms? It's a minor issue at best, and at worse, you just don't buy the movie.

Folks will get up in arms about nearly everything. I remember back when The Name of This Band Was Talking Heads was finally issued on CD, and some people were complaining that Rhino chopped off the intro to "Cross Eyed and Dangerous," even though they expanded the album by 50%, and the intro was chopped off so other songs could fit on the disc.

What's worse is when they are wrong about it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Want Magnificent Ambersons (DVD) without buying the massive Kane box on Amazon?

you're welcome

(a bit spendy for a barebones disc, though)

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 25, 2011

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

FitFortDanga posted:

Want Magnificent Ambersons (DVD) without buying the massive Kane box on Amazon?

you're welcome

(a bit spendy for a barebones disc, though)

If the TCM site is to be believed, the release date for the Citizen Kane BD (as well as that standalone Ambersons DVD) will be 9/13. And yes, that's a Tuesday.

------

New Best Buy exclusive BDs this Sunday (5/29):

The Firm
Maverick
Wild Wild West
Get Shorty
Back To School
City Slickers
Taking Of Pelham One Two Three (1974)
Midnight Cowboy

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

Wow, it really does look like a film made up of oil paintings. They really did a fantastic job remastering. Imagine had this film been handled by Universal.

This is a film that is terribly overlooked in Kubrick's filmography. Even if you don't care about the content, the cinematography alone will make your jaw drop.

Yeah the natural light look the film is really amazing especially given all the technical headaches to make it possible.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

The fierce urgency of now

Cemetry Gator posted:

I can understand criticizing the release over it, since it isn't a big deal to show 1.66:1 on a widescreen TV, but to get up in arms? It's a minor issue at best, and at worse, you just don't buy the movie.

Folks will get up in arms about nearly everything. I remember back when The Name of This Band Was Talking Heads was finally issued on CD, and some people were complaining that Rhino chopped off the intro to "Cross Eyed and Dangerous," even though they expanded the album by 50%, and the intro was chopped off so other songs could fit on the disc.

What's worse is when they are wrong about it.

To be fair, assuming that track is played in the same style as from Stop Making Sense, the intro solo to Crosseyed & Painless is exceptionally awesome and I would be pissed if they dropped it from the live album, too. They didn't cut out the first 10% of the film

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

For those who get tremendously upset about such things, Barry Lyndon is framed at 1.78 instead of 1.66. And unlike some of Kubrick's other films where there's some debate, all the evidence seems to point to 1.66 being the "correct" aspect ratio.

There's a thread with screenshots somewhere over on criterionforum.org. You're barely missing any of the image, but some folks are up in arms about it.

The original release instructions apparently noted 1.75:1 was OK per Kubrick, so I don't see why full 16x9 isn't close enough. Most theaters would likely crop tighter, even at STMPE precision.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The Season 3 release of Breaking Bad dropped to $24.99 on Amazon. Comes out on June 7th

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B004SUDPXW

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 25, 2011

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx

Neo_Reloaded posted:

------
New Best Buy exclusive BDs this Sunday (5/29):

Taking Of Pelham One Two Three (1974)

Had no idea this was coming out. :woop:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

Had no idea this was coming out. :woop:

It has been playing on a loop for months now on HDNet. Looks good. I bet the Blu-Ray will be great.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Sporadic posted:

The Season 3 release of Breaking Bad dropped to $24.99 on Amazon. Comes out on June 7th

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B004SUDPXW

Arg! I placed a pre-order but had to cancel it. I have a feeling when the show is over it will get a nice boxset and I'll feel dumb for buying them all along.

idoliside
Dec 8, 2010

Lethal Weapon 1-4 Blu Ray has dropped to £17.99 on amazon uk. It's region free!

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Amazon has the blu-ray Die Hard collection for $20.49.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

I picked it up used for $14.99 awhile back otherwise I would have grabbed it here. This is a steal. Even though the 4th movie isn't the unrated cut it's still not bad.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

This is something I'm genuinely interested in, but will probably wait for the reviews on. ESPN's 30-for-30 documentary series is being put on BD. It's a Best Buy exclusive starting today (of all things).

I know there's probably some sports fellows here who will enjoy this, if not people who like documentaries in general. The MSRP is $99.99, so hopefully that gets slashed a bit. But knowing Best Buy, probably not all that great.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Person on HTF bitching about the STUDIO LOGO on Barry Lyndon:

a probably dangerous individual posted:

OK, well, aspect ratio aside (not that I'm happy about that!!), my biggest gripe is the butchering of the opening sequence thanks to that dreadful monochrome 'new' logo replacement. Like no other movie I've seen the visuals, action and editing of BL are synced to the music track to an extraordinarily high degree and the logo change just pisses all over that, right at the most important moment - the grand opening. Without question a hallmark of Stanley Kubrick movies is that the mood and pace is set from the first frame, always coinciding with and synced to the music.

In the 'original' the docking of the zooming "W" logo (and the rest...like "presents") is synced perfectly to the opening chords (probably a lucky accident sequencing it in the edit room but intentional nevertheless) and there is one beat cut to black before the beat cut to "A Film By Stanley Kubrick" - now this has been replaced by a overly long section of black screen which completely destroys that rhythm and renders this once powerful opening quite lame and disjointed, especially the now 'sudden' appearance of his own credit card.

Why is there so little respect granted to the movies of a man who must surely rank as one of the greatest filmmakers ever? Honestly, its pathetic and shameful and all concerned should hang their heads in shame at this kind of alteration of one of the great movies of that great filmmaker. drat, I so love this movie, have seen it so many many times (and will many more times). Fortunately I have a 720p recording of an HDTV broadcast and I will stay with that copy and bin the blu-ray.

Jeez Warners/Vitali et al. Do it properly or give the rights to someone who has sufficient respect.

If you *really have to* to put this crappy new B&W logo on, Warners, put it before the old zooming black on red one. In 10 years you'll change it again anyway. Who cares about it. Are you also going to butcher all the current movies that use this logo in animated fashion when the corporate lackies decide to change the look of the logo again?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I actually kinda nerd out when I see studio logos of defunct studios, or old-style studio logos on DVDs and all that, but that's just silly.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
In the Big Lebowski thread on blu-ray.com, after it was announced the first print run would be in digibook packaging:

a chemically imbalanced poster posted:

There's only one thing I need to write and it is the BE ALL, END ALL of any discussion (and this is the 14th time I'm writing it at Blu-ray.com)

We (human beings) got into Blu-ray for two reasons and two reasons only:

1) PQ

2) AQ

Done!

When we all bought our first HDTV or Bluray Player, we bought them so our video and audio would be awesome. We bought it to play a BLU-RAY DISC.

We didnt buy a Bluray Player so we could get trinkets (spinning dreidels for Inception) toys and cards (Wizard of Oz) or Digibooks.

The last time I checked, my Blu-ray Player cant play a Terminator head or an Inception dreidel or a Wizard of Oz pictorial...etc. It plays Blu-ray Discs.

Give us a great BD in a standard case alongside those digi-books

So his point is blu-ray buyers want the best PQ/AQ out of a release and that matters above all else, therefore it REALLY matters what kind of superficial packaging it comes in. (?)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Space_Butler posted:

In the Big Lebowski thread on blu-ray.com, after it was announced the first print run would be in digibook packaging:

So his point is blu-ray buyers want the best PQ/AQ out of a release and that matters above all else, therefore it REALLY matters what kind of superficial packaging it comes in. (?)

What?

His point is that we bought a Blu-Ray player for Blu-Rays, not "collectible" trinkets or digibooks which the studios use as a justification to raise the prices and that the studio should release a standard version along with any bullshit limited edition version. (since The Big Lebowski has only been announced in a limited-edition digibook so far)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

^
Warner's "trinket" boxes are annoying. There's no rationale in making Citizen Kane a $40 gift set only instead of the choice between a $20 disc-only release and the gift set. It's flat-out closing out casual buyers from titles that need an extra boost in sales. WB was apparently dismayed by The Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind selling low before the 1-disc versions came out. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that more people will buy that $20 budget edition than the $60 megaset.

Logo replacement is obnoxious, especially when it causes part of the film to be altered (old DVD of The Godfather, Blu of Toy Story), but there's a hundred other issues that are more important. I'll gladly take a badly pasted logo over smear-o-vision DVNR.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 27, 2011

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Sporadic posted:

What?

His point is that we bought a Blu-Ray player for Blu-Rays, not "collectible" trinkets or digibooks which the studios use as a justification to raise the prices and that the studio should release a standard version along with any bullshit limited edition version. (since The Big Lebowski has only been announced in a limited-edition digibook so far)
His other posts in the thread were clear that his only opposition was to the packaging itself. He's one of those people where the digibook could be 5 bucks cheaper and he'd still pay more for a regular case. The thread is half-flooded with posters like that, who value the consistancy of their collection on the shelf above all else.

The price increase argument doesn't hold water with Universal who already prices their non-digibook blu-rays higher to begin with. In fact, at this moment, the Limited Edition Blu+Digital Copy Digibook of Lebowski is 5 bucks cheaper than the single BD normal release of American Graffiti and The Blues Brothers. Even when Graffiti was at it's cheapest on Amazon, it was at the same price Lebowski is now.

If you really want a blu-ray for a certain price, it's illogical to refuse it if it meets that criteria simply over packaging. I'd rather have bought The Goonies as a standalone release because I had no need for the extras, but when I was able to snag the collectors edition for 20 bucks, I jumped on it because the price was acceptable for the disc and I'm also not a lunatic who gets an itch in the back of their head they can't scratch if their shelf doesn't line up.

Space_Butler fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 27, 2011

Multiplesarcasm
Mar 3, 2006

a corduroy explosion.

Harlock posted:

These movies are all solid, diverse and revealing looks into a wide variety of sports topics. I can't recommend them highly enough and if the price goes down about 25% it's on my list. Very pumped they decided to go blu-ray on this and package them all together.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Multiplesarcasm posted:

These movies are all solid, diverse and revealing looks into a wide variety of sports topics. I can't recommend them highly enough and if the price goes down about 25% it's on my list. Very pumped they decided to go blu-ray on this and package them all together.

I'm with you on this, the series is the the best thing ever to come out of ESPN (I still can't believe it was Bill Simmons pet project). The documentaries The U, Once Brothers, Muhammad and Larry, Pony Excess, The Two Escobars, and The Best that Never Was are absolutely great and award worthy.

100 bucks is still too expensive for me but I'll buy it when it goes on sale.

SneakySneaks fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 27, 2011

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Almost picked up 30 for 30 yesterday at Costco, glad I didn't now cause I didn't realize they were DVD sets :v:. If you don't mind that I think they were pretty cheap at least, like $25 for each box if I'm remembering right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

FitFortDanga posted:

Person on HTF bitching about the STUDIO LOGO on Barry Lyndon:

I was going to laugh, but then I remembered I got pretty annoyed when they changed the logos on the Toy Story BD and ruined the segue from the Disney fanfare into the film. Now the sound and picture just abruptly cuts in and it's jarring and just...weird. :spergin:

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 27, 2011

• Locked thread