Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
Are there legitimate free NASCAR romance pdfs out there, though? I can't imagine 1 person in TBB laying down money for "And then he turned left, into her heart."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Quad posted:

So I just updated my Calibre and got the Goodreads plugin, now I can easily sync my Sony Reader to my Facebook! ....this would be cooler if I had more than 2 friends doing the same thing. :(
Any goons on Goodreads? Any special groups, etc? It'd be interesting to see some of the more prolific posters reading lists.

I don't think there's a group, but there's a few posters from here on Goodreads. I think there was a thread a while ago.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
A lot of people in the "52 books this year" thread (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3377849) use Goodreads, so check in there.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Quad posted:

Are there legitimate free NASCAR romance pdfs out there, though? I can't imagine 1 person in TBB laying down money for "And then he turned left, into her heart."

I think it goes more like, "He lubed up his dipstick and slid it into her intake".

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
"He hosed all the gas out of her."

I like this terrible F/SF theme you've got going on. I vote for a pointless recent movie novelization, like "Iron Man" by Eisner Award winner Peter David.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

The Machine posted:

pointless recent movie novelization

I like this idea too.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Something by Alan Dean Foster is a must. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen or Terminator Salvation would probably be good (terrible) picks.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

http://www.amazon.com/Bram-Stokers-Dracula-Francis-Coppola/dp/0451175751/ref=cm_lmf_tit_6

Clearly the only answer is to read the book of the movie of the book.

edit: comedy option http://www.amazon.com/JINGLE-MOVIE-Minstrel-Paperback-Original/dp/0671004263/ref=cm_lmf_tit_25 Jingle All The Way, the book.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Don't forget the novelization of the screenplay of the movie of the epic Beowulf.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

The Machine posted:

Don't forget the novelization of the screenplay of the movie of the epic Beowulf.

That was actually decent.

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!
So we're jumping the shark on the book of the month? I was hoping to see a return to something worth reading.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

knees of putty posted:

I was hoping to see a return to something worth reading.

There's nothing stopping people from posting other threads, which I'm hoping will happen. This being a comedy site founded on mocking stupid poo poo I thought an actual "awful" book of the month might be funnier. We shall see.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

LooseChanj posted:

That was actually decent.

I saw this in the mythology/folklore section at my local bookshop. I didn't pick it up, but if it was by Caitlin R. Kiernan, you'd expect it to be a cut above.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

House Louse posted:

if it was by Caitlin R. Kiernan, you'd expect it to be a cut above.

She identified a species of starfish for me once. She's pretty cool.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

The Machine posted:

"He hosed all the gas out of her."

I like this terrible F/SF theme you've got going on. I vote for a pointless recent movie novelization, like "Iron Man" by Eisner Award winner Peter David.
I just assumed it was code for "anal".

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I just started 'The Lies of Locke Lamora' and loving it so far. From what I remember, I think Scott Lynch pulled a GRRM... is this correct? Should I just get it into my head now that I am never ever going to know how it ends?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Dramatika posted:

I just started 'The Lies of Locke Lamora' and loving it so far. From what I remember, I think Scott Lynch pulled a GRRM... is this correct? Should I just get it into my head now that I am never ever going to know how it ends?

He didn't exactly pull a GRRM, he's apparently had a massive breakdown rather than just being a lazy bastard.

BobMcFartsens
Dec 31, 2005

Sitting on a park bench

I just started reading A Game of Thrones last week (Since I heard the show was so badass I figured I should read the book first).

Just finished the chapter that ends with: "The things I do for love".

Holy poo poo. I can't put this book down.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

BobMcFartsens posted:

I just started reading A Game of Thrones last week (Since I heard the show was so badass I figured I should read the book first).

You could watch the show along with the book. The first episode ends at the same point that you just mentioned.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

BobMcFartsens posted:

Not to be a shill but the series is also available on audible.com, and has a pretty solid voice actor narrating. Although in book 2 his sing-song voice of Stannis' court jester is a bit obnoxious.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
I've still got to read Storm of Swords, but I was reading about how GRRM's A Dance With Dragons and Feast For Crows will intersect a lot. Should I expect some fan to compile a "proper" chapter order, splicing together both books? I'm assuming the answer is "yes, about 24 hours after ADWD hits the shelves," but I wanted to make sure.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I've been reading The Sherlock Holmes story collection book, really liking it so far. Are there any other works of Sir Arthur worth reading? I have heard good things about The Lost World.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

This is probably a really dumb question, but after reading The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, what's the significance of the "Wao"? His name's Oscar de León and the narrator just starts calling him Wao about two-thirds of the way through the book.

(I loved the novel, this is just really bugging me)

Gremlin
Aug 9, 2002
So I got a kindle and immediately downloaded a bunch of massive ebook packs to fill it up with. I was able to find a lot of the books I want but I still come across a lot of more obscure books that I'm unable to find anywhere on the web! Just thought I'd see if anyone in here could drop me a line on some catch all sources for ebooks. It seems that there are huge communities for music, movies, and television shows but there doesn't seem to be any such thing for ebooks.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Would anybody be up for doing a big rear end summer read again? I've got a few book ideas in mind.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
My big rear end summer read this winter will be A Dance With Dragons.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Power of Pecota posted:

This is probably a really dumb question, but after reading The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, what's the significance of the "Wao"? His name's Oscar de León and the narrator just starts calling him Wao about two-thirds of the way through the book.

(I loved the novel, this is just really bugging me)
I'm not positive about 'Wao' specifically, but I highly recommend this:

http://www.annotated-oscar-wao.com/

I didn't have a problem with the Spanish, but a lot of the geek references were over my head so this really helped me, although I only found it afterwards.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I thought the "Wao" was a mispronunciation of "Wilde"...

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Yeah it was, I don't know how I missed the story about the Halloween costume in the first Yunior chapter. Thanks, and the annotations look great!

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going on vacation in a few weeks, and plan on powering through as much of Mission Earth by L. Ron Hubbard as I can in a cabin in Wisconsin. My summer read will scar me for life.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Quad posted:

I'm going on vacation in a few weeks, and plan on powering through as much of Mission Earth by L. Ron Hubbard as I can in a cabin in Wisconsin. My summer read will scar me for life.

A friend bet me $100 + the cost of the books that I couldn't read all of the Gor books before Dragon Con. There's a stack of them sitting about six feet from me. Let's compare scars in September :shepicide:

Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011

Gremlin posted:

So I got a kindle and immediately downloaded a bunch of massive ebook packs to fill it up with. I was able to find a lot of the books I want but I still come across a lot of more obscure books that I'm unable to find anywhere on the web! Just thought I'd see if anyone in here could drop me a line on some catch all sources for ebooks. It seems that there are huge communities for music, movies, and television shows but there doesn't seem to be any such thing for ebooks.

Inkmesh is a search engine that utilises most (every?) ebook site(s), including stores and sites that host public domain ebooks. If you can't find it there, I don't think you can find it.

Shonagon
Mar 27, 2005

It is impervious to reason or pleading, it knows no mercy or patience.

Dramatika posted:

As of March this year, Republic of Thieves was 90% complete and delivered to the publisher, but my source wasn't holding her breath for the other 10%, and nor should you.

But if it is possible to drag the book out of him, his publishers will...

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011
I'm planning to get into some Rabelais at some point and was wondering if anyone could give some pointers as to what the definitive translations are, or particularly noteworthy versions of his works.

I found an illustrated, complete Rabelais at a shop months ago for $35, but didn't buy it because I didn't have that kind of wealth at the time. That bookshop has rather limited hours, so the last few times I passed by it was closed, and I was filled with regret and horror that I didn't just nut up and drop the cash... but, if it had been a lovely translation, I guess I might've dodged a bullet. Looked respectable though... ah hell.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I have JM Cohen's translation and while I like it, I've also heard Burton Raffel's is good. I think it's the one Norton uses in their anthologies. If you're interested, I could type up a selection from both.

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011
Thanks much, the names alone are good enough and give me a starting point for some research... unless they vary wildly in their translations I wouldn't want to trouble you to type out selections.

Hopefully I can figure out what edition I missed, who did the translations, and how good it is. I'm still planning to haunt that store until it's open again.

Adonis Gunther
Mar 11, 2011

Has anyone read "Go the F**k to Sleep"? (http://www.amazon.com/Go-F-Sleep-Adam-Mansbach/dp/1617750255/ref=zg_bs_books_1) It seems to be the top bestseller on Amazon. It's meant to be a comical bed time story for adults, and has some good reviews. Any goons read this?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Adonis Gunther posted:

Has anyone read "Go the F**k to Sleep"? (http://www.amazon.com/Go-F-Sleep-Adam-Mansbach/dp/1617750255/ref=zg_bs_books_1) It seems to be the top bestseller on Amazon. It's meant to be a comical bed time story for adults, and has some good reviews. Any goons read this?

It's pretty funny. Samuel L Jackson did the audiobook, which Audible released for free and you can watch/listen to it on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGDm45niITI

Adonis Gunther
Mar 11, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

It's pretty funny. Samuel L Jackson did the audiobook, which Audible released for free and you can watch/listen to it on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGDm45niITI

Wow thanks, that was great. Samuel L Jackson was probably the best guy to do the job. Not sure if it warrants being the bestseller though. But then again I can't relate to it as I don't have kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I'm actually more partial to Werner Herzog's rendition: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3xFZ0A15Bg&feature=player_embedded