Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa

Billy Bob FORTRAN posted:

Can anyone recommend any low-fantasy games, or at least ones that aren't very Tolkieny? Game of Thrones has gotten my blood up, and I'm pumped to stab dudes in the eyes and neck. A good story is definitely a plus, but I can't expect Shakespeare.

Morrowind is probably my favorite RPG of all time, and I haven't been able to bring myself to finish the Witcher, so they're out.

Though not an action RPG (can't tell if that's what you're after), King of Dragon Pass might qualify. It's a role-playing game to an extent, only you're an overseer of a tribe and not actually represented in the world itself. But it's different every time and has masses of depth, and certainly the political shennanigans, warfare and back-stabbing in it are very reminiscent of Game of Thrones.

Actually getting your hands on it is a bit tricky, you can pay the devs directly and they'll burn you a copy and mail it out. If you have an iOS device, they are rereleasing it on that platform very soon. I've asked them about releasing on GoG or Steam but they're kind of not very enthusiastic because they got burned in the past, or up-to-speed on how easy that would be now, so eh.

Morpheus posted:

I want a game with a crafting system, super in-depth stuff.

Unreal World. Dwarf fortress.

quote:

Attaching attributes to weapons with crafting ingredients, adding more damage at the cost of other stuff, whatever,

Sacred II.

quote:

crafting trees, whatever.
Dwarf Fortress. Children of the Nile. Settlers. World of Keflings.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Can anyone recommend any low-fantasy games, or at least ones that aren't very Tolkieny? Game of Thrones has gotten my blood up, and I'm pumped to stab dudes in the eyes and neck. A good story is definitely a plus, but I can't expect Shakespeare.

Morrowind is probably my favorite RPG of all time, and I haven't been able to bring myself to finish the Witcher, so they're out.

Risen is quite nice (but the combat system is strange, you'll get your rear end beaten by everything until you realize you need to time your blocks and attacks). Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga is more conventional and a lot of fun, too. There's maybe something wrong with you if you weren't able to finish Witcher, but if it helps then Witcher 2 has a different combat system and far less respawning trash mobs. There's plenty of stabbing and hacking and it's a fantastic game overall, so I can't see a reason not to try it.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Morpheus posted:

I want a game with a crafting system, super in-depth stuff. Attaching attributes to weapons with crafting ingredients, adding more damage at the cost of other stuff, whatever, crafting trees, whatever. Something more complex then, say, Dead Rising 2's crafting. Almost any platform, just barring the more obscure stuff like Dreamcast or Saturn.

I already know about Two Worlds...nothing much else comes to mind.

Well, technically, EVE Online. As far as I know, no other game is even in the same ballpark as far as the depth and intricacy of manufacturing (crafting) is concerned.

This flowchart is half of the processes needed to produce a certain type of fuel. Every single step involves a fractal-like complexity of resource management in itself. Hope you enjoy Excel.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Ashenai posted:

Well, technically, EVE Online. As far as I know, no other game is even in the same ballpark as far as the depth and intricacy of manufacturing (crafting) is concerned.

This flowchart is half of the processes needed to produce a certain type of fuel. Every single step involves a fractal-like complexity of resource management in itself. Hope you enjoy Excel.

That might be just a little too complex for me. The other suggestions were good, but I've played all of them. Might get back into Unreal World though. I certainly prefer RPGs when it comes to this sort of thing.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Morpheus posted:

That might be just a little too complex for me.

I can't blame you, it really is The Spergiest Game.

quote:

The other suggestions were good, but I've played all of them. Might get back into Unreal World though. I certainly prefer RPGs when it comes to this sort of thing.

Okay, what about Witcher, then? (And presumably Witcher 2, although I haven't played that.) It has a pretty cool crafting and alchemy system.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I would like to play a game where I can absolutely tear up everything in sight. I don't care if it's an action game where I control one dude who flips out all the time or if it's an RTS where I can control lots of dudes with lots of guns. I want to be able to go to beautiful, well kept places, and just destroy them with lots of explosions and gunfire (or spell effects if the game is that type) and see everything blasting apart. By the time any given level is finished, there should be nothing but smoke and cinders and blackened craters and the ragdolling remains of blown up, destroyed stuff everywhere.

Examples of games like this:

World in Conflict / Company of Heroes - the artillery in these games looks devastating. Missiles, fuel bombs, lots of fire and explosions and destruction effects stay so any given place you go looks like a post-apocalyptic hell by the time the level is over. And lots of ragdolling.

Red Faction: Guerilla - 3rd person game, but you can blow up everything.

Dawn of War 2: Lots of badass things doing badass stuff. Lots of gunfire and bombs and smoke

Diablo 2 (endgame) - walk into room filled to the brim with enemies, flip out and cast spells that light up the whole place, lots of enemies explode, guts all over everything. Move to next room, repeat.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 25, 2011

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Ashenai posted:

Okay, what about Witcher, then? (And presumably Witcher 2, although I haven't played that.) It has a pretty cool crafting and alchemy system.

Played through the first, currently played through the second (seeing what you could do with crafting inspired me to look for more). I don't remember the crafting in the first game, except something with stones, but the alchemy was kind of neat, with side-effects and extra things depending on ingredients. I prefer being able to build upon other things I've crafted though, like getting an iron sword, then finding something to turn it into a steel sword, then combining that with something I've made previously to get a wave blade or something and so forth.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Morpheus posted:

I want a game with a crafting system, super in-depth stuff. Attaching attributes to weapons with crafting ingredients, adding more damage at the cost of other stuff, whatever, crafting trees, whatever.

You could play the Eastern Sun mod for Diablo II with us if the server weren't currently down. Right now you can do single-player, and it's ok, too, since it's actually possible to get and craft sweet stuff by yourself. Eastern Sun is all about modifying things. There's crafting, forging and d-stoning. You can find jewels, forge them and then stick them into another item and d-stone/forge that item, or you can enhance the poo poo out of an item, put a runeword in it and then do it again for something ridiculous like +800% lightning damage on a single item. Then you do it again with the rest of your equipment. Most things (not d-stoning) can be undone and you get your crafting materials/runes/jewels back so you can use them on something new that you just found.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

You could play the Eastern Sun mod for Diablo II with us if the server weren't currently down. Right now you can do single-player, and it's ok, too, since it's actually possible to get and craft sweet stuff by yourself. Eastern Sun is all about modifying things. There's crafting, forging and d-stoning. You can find jewels, forge them and then stick them into another item and d-stone/forge that item, or you can enhance the poo poo out of an item, put a runeword in it and then do it again for something ridiculous like +800% lightning damage on a single item. Then you do it again with the rest of your equipment. Most things (not d-stoning) can be undone and you get your crafting materials/runes/jewels back so you can use them on something new that you just found.

That sounds like something I'd like. Wish it was in a more modern game, but eh, I'll give it a shot.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.

GreatGreen posted:

I would like to play a game where I can absolutely tear up everything in sight. I don't care if it's an action game where I control one dude who flips out all the time or if it's an RTS where I can control lots of dudes with lots of guns. I want to be able to go to beautiful, well kept places, and just destroy them with lots of explosions and gunfire (or spell effects if the game is that type) and see everything blasting apart. By the time any given level is finished, there should be nothing but smoke and cinders and blackened craters and the ragdolling remains of blown up, destroyed stuff everywhere.

World in Conflict / Company of Heroes - the artillery in these games looks devastating. Missiles, fuel bombs, lots of fire and explosions and destruction effects stay so any given place you go looks like a post-apocalyptic hell by the time the level is over. And lots of ragdolling.

Dawn of War 2: Lots of badass things doing badass stuff. Lots of gunfire and bombs and smoke

Diablo 2 (endgame) - walk into room filled to the brim with enemies, flip out and cast spells that light up the whole place, lots of enemies explode, guts all over everything. Move to next room, repeat.

The Mercenaries games were some of my favorite for this sort of thing. Plug in a few cheats to get tons of money/fuel/nukes and go to town on a North Korean/Venezuelan city or countryside and watch the chaos ensue. So much fun. The first one (in North Korea) is a little dated, and hasn't aged all that well (in terms of destructible stuff) in my opinion, but the second one (World In Flames) is still lots of fun to gently caress around in.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Jadz posted:

The Mercenaries games were some of my favorite for this sort of thing. Plug in a few cheats to get tons of money/fuel/nukes and go to town on a North Korean/Venezuelan city or countryside and watch the chaos ensue. So much fun. The first one (in North Korea) is a little dated, and hasn't aged all that well (in terms of destructible stuff) in my opinion, but the second one (World In Flames) is still lots of fun to gently caress around in.

Do NOT get the PC version of Mercenaries 2. It was a shockingly awful barely functioning console port.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

GreatGreen posted:

Just Cause 2 - Amazingly fun game where you can blow up everything, fly away on your jetpack and then find something else to blow up. Huge map all sorts of vehicles, a grappling hook that lets you shoot all sorts of things like an oxygen canister, grapple it, and then ride it like a rocket into the sky.

Get it for the PC, play it a bit, then mod it so the weapons are cheap, and your jet thrusters are infinite.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I love Just Cause 2. I've put a ton of hours into it. I'm almost sad telling you that though because you're dead on, it's a brilliant answer to the question I asked. It really is a stupidly fun game.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Consider Men of War. It's like a much more detailed, more realistic version of Company of Heroes. It's pretty fun but also incredibly difficult.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

GreatGreen posted:

(...)

You seriously need to try Prototype. It is THE flippingest outest game. Flying kicking a helicopter and watching the blazing wreck land in the middle of a commando team who are desperately, pathetically trying to take you out with assault rifles and rocket launchers never gets old. It's the best stress relief game.

Observe.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Ashenai posted:

You seriously need to try Prototype. It is THE flippingest outest game. Flying kicking a helicopter and watching the blazing wreck land in the middle of a commando team who are desperately, pathetically trying to take you out with assault rifles and rocket launchers never gets old. It's the best stress relief game.

Observe.

This guy is so right it hurts. Prototype is one of those games where you get a little murder-boner at certain moments. My favourite part of Prototype is running up the side of a skyscraper, leaping off the roof, targeting a helicopter and elbow dropping into the rotors with a stonefist and sending it crashing into the ground.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.

Ashenai posted:

Observe.

How the gently caress have I never played this game? It looks amazing.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jadz posted:

How the gently caress have I never played this game? It looks amazing.

Outside the crazy fights, it's a very dull and directionless game. Even the fights get old after a while; it's fun to kill a screen full of dudes, but it gets pretty old after doing it hundreds of times to the same enemies.

It's just one of those games that you play all the way through thinking that you're about to get to the awesome part, but it never comes.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Danger Mahoney posted:

Outside the crazy fights, it's a very dull and directionless game. Even the fights get old after a while; it's fun to kill a screen full of dudes, but it gets pretty old after doing it hundreds of times to the same enemies.

It's just one of those games that you play all the way through thinking that you're about to get to the awesome part, but it never comes.

I dunno, I really enjoyed it. For me, the whole game was awesome (with occasional annoying bits.)

I think it really depends on whether you like sandbox games in general or not. Although I found the main storyline missions fun as well. It really scratched that "I wanna feel like a supreme badass" itch, which surprisingly few games seem to do.

Ashenai fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 25, 2011

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Prototype was plagued mainly by sub-par boss fights and the almost unavoidable "you may possess superhuman powers, but here's some stupendous dudes who can and will out-superhuman even you!" kind of design choices that are present in virtually every game like it.

I won't deny that it loses much of its staying power if violently annihilating more or less defenceless soldiers and pedestrians in a multitude of ways just for the sake of doing so and watching the gibs fly isn't your idea of an afternoon extremely well spent, though.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I don't really agree with either of these complaints. Prototype had quite a bit of direction and while the missions weren't that exciting, I could run around and cause chaos for hours. And I don't even like sandbox games at all!

As for the stupendous dudes who out-superhuman you... well, I dunno. My major complaint with Prototype was it was too easy and there was no enemy who ever put you in danger of dying. But I ignored the absolute lack of challenge in favour of murdering thousands of people an hour. If I wanted a hard game I'd hook up the Xbox and go play some Ninja Gaiden. Your part about the murder and a well-spent afternoon is spot on though!

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I'm looking for some good 3+ player turn based games that can be played on one PC. Using a laptop and passing it around maybe for each turn. Right now I've got an open source version of Axis and Allies(the board game)which fulfills the type of game I'm looking for but I would like more. I know battle of wesnoth is one too.

This is really old school but Darklands is a pretty awesome RPG which is low fantasy.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 26, 2011

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Worms is pretty much the general purpose 'hotseat with friends' game. The various Heroes of Might and Magic games can be played hotseat as well, though battles can sometimes take some time.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Morpheus posted:

That might be just a little too complex for me. The other suggestions were good, but I've played all of them. Might get back into Unreal World though. I certainly prefer RPGs when it comes to this sort of thing.

I support this! It really is a fun game, worth getting into once a year or so.

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.
What's a good, recent Mech game? Are there any?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

unleash the unicorn posted:

What's a good, recent Mech game? Are there any?

I know there's a Mechwarrior mod for both Crysis and Crysis: Warhead which are supposed to be very fun. Multiplayer primarily (only?) I think. Dominic White mentioned it on the forums a while back.

http://www.mechlivinglegends.net/

A youtube search made me wish I was playing it right now.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
Chromehounds was a mech game on 360 which was apparently great for its online clan play, but eventually failed to pick up a large enough audience (and I think they've turned the servers off now). I know that doesn't help much but it's things like that that answer why the genre doesn't see many good releases.

Chinook posted:

I support this! It really is a fun game, worth getting into once a year or so.

I love Unreal World and the direction it's still heading, but honestly at times I feel like there's a better game hidden under the keyboard-intensive control scheme. If I could click and right click my way around the world, for the most part, I think it would feel a lot less laborious. I know all the key commands but bashing them out over and over sometimes makes it less fun/relaxing than it should be. Nevertheless, still recommending it to people probably counts for a lot...

edit: great avatar :)

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 11:08 on May 26, 2011

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Filthy Monkey posted:

The various Heroes of Might and Magic games can be played hotseat as well, though battles can sometimes take some time.

If you're going to do this, hook up 2 mice to the computer so you don't have to keep switching spots during battles.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm tired of Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 and I hate FIFA. Can anyone recommend sports games where I can turn a team of underperforming layabouts into world beaters? I have FM2010, but I'd prefer something with actual gameplay.

Stipulation: has to be on PC or emulator!

Thanks. I've been playing Persona 4 (which was recommended to me here) feverishly and I need a bit of a break from it.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Chas McGill posted:

Can anyone recommend sports games where I can turn a team of underperforming layabouts into world beaters? I have FM2010, but I'd prefer something with actual gameplay.

The NBA 2kX games are cool (even if you aren't from the States, you can still enjoy them). But as it has to be PC exclusive most sports games that aren't Fifa/FM are horribly ported from consoles. This includes the controller buttons flashing up on screen and a picture of the 360 controller on loading screens :argh:

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Lurchibles posted:

The NBA 2kX games are cool (even if you aren't from the States, you can still enjoy them). But as it has to be PC exclusive most sports games that aren't Fifa/FM are horribly ported from consoles. This includes the controller buttons flashing up on screen and a picture of the 360 controller on loading screens :argh:

I've actually considered that, since it's a game I sort of understand. Do the players "level up" and stuff as you go through the seasons?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Does anyone have recommendations for some co-operative teambased gameplay for 4+ players? The group of friends I regularly play with on the PC have always tried finding a game to pour hours into, and so far we've enjoyed:

- Breach
- Age of Wonders
- Left 4 Dead
- Left 4 Dead 2

Also, is there any games out like Oblivion but have multiplayer? MMO's included, I suppose. Darkfall didn't seem to catch with my friend so there goes that. Me and a friend love Oblivion to death and I really wish there was a way to play it with friends.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Ularg posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for some co-operative teambased gameplay for 4+ players? The group of friends I regularly play with on the PC have always tried finding a game to pour hours into, and so far we've enjoyed:

- Breach
- Age of Wonders
- Left 4 Dead
- Left 4 Dead 2

I was going to recommend Killing Floor, but that's better for 6 people. How about Section 8: Prejudice? There's a fun swarm mode in that for 4 and it's a cheap game.

Have you tried Magicka?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Chas McGill posted:

I was going to recommend Killing Floor, but that's better for 6 people. How about Section 8: Prejudice? There's a fun swarm mode in that for 4 and it's a cheap game.

Have you tried Magicka?

Only one of my friends were interested in Magicka, and honestly I wasn't too impressed. However I'll have to see what they think about Section 8 and Killing floor. We have a regular group of five friends with one of us usually off and on and sometimes with us.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Try Swat4. It's immensely fun.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
I'm currently reading the excellent Digimon LP we've got going over at the subforum, and its got me hankering for a game where I can rear or train creatures or minions for combat and such (that isn't Digimon), picking different ones is a must though evolution/breeding of some sort not necessary.

No pokemon, thanks.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Ularg posted:

- Breach
- Age of Wonders
- Left 4 Dead
- Left 4 Dead 2

Also, is there any games out like Oblivion but have multiplayer? MMO's included, I suppose. Darkfall didn't seem to catch with my friend so there goes that. Me and a friend love Oblivion to death and I really wish there was a way to play it with friends.

I think guild wars would be a good fit here. It's basically a LAN RPG that requires everyone to own a copy to play. Me and my friends play Guild Wars on LAN exclusively and generally have a pretty good time.

Also, if you're willing to take a step back technologically, Baulder's Gate 2 and it's expansions can be played completely via LAN.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.
This is going to be a tall order, but I'm looking for a modern Wing Commander-esque space sim game, mission based rather than open world. Bonus points for the following features:

Persistent wingmates (ie if they die during a mission then it affects the storyline)
Medals/commendations for doing exceptionally well during a mission (oh god can't get enough of that)

CoffeeBreak80
May 3, 2009

Here's a pretty weird request:

I use a stationary recumbent bike in my apartment for exercise. While I workout, I like to play 360; it lets me zone out and lose myself in game while ignoring the fatigue of the workout.

Anyway, the selection of games that I can play while I do this is pretty limited. Anything that requires quick reflexes or is demanding with the timing is out. For example, I tried multiplayer Black Ops when I first had the idea and made it through one round before I became too frustrated. However, now I like to use Civilization Rev'lution and it is perfect. Slow pace, no reflexes required, and huge text (my bike is about 10 feet away from my TV).

Are there any games on 360 that have similar pacing to Civ that could work in this ridiculous situation? A game that doesn't require "reflexes"? I'm sure there are tons out there, but I don't really have time to follow games the way I used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Are there any, for lack of a better term, 'World or Biome Simulator' games? on the PC?

I don't know why, but I randomly came across the Spore prototypes page and remembered how strangely fond I was of just the terraforming I was in the prototype and full Space stage. But older games like SimWorld (or was it SimEarth) are so old that I have trouble getting into them.