Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Holy poo poo, here's a vid of the flame thrower http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g8wWQktQjA

Saga posted:

Did you use high-temperature paint, Ola?

Yes. I think it's partly due to poor prep (grinder scoring a bit too deep in places), poor quality paint (doesn't build much with multiple coats) and the leaky #3. Will pull it and re-do, including taking the top off to get the holes drilled, helicoils in every hole and clean out the old soot. But not on this side of the summer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Exhaust wrap hides all sins.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

For moving the bike unless it is just in or out of the garage I prefer to be sitting on the bike. I'm tip-toe on either bike yet still feel more comfortable this way. I generally back into parking spots so I just hop on and ride away.

Water crossings...depends on the bike. I've gone deeper than the foot pegs on the SV but the water wasn't moving. I don't think I would want to go more than a couple inches if the water had any speed to it. On a dirtbike all bets are off, last time we went puddle jumping I ended up somehow riding through one that was deeper than the bike is tall.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Anyone know of any rider groups in NJ that are mature and ride responsibly? My friends have sent me over the edge. I don't want to go out and watch someone die. It especially stupid because they're all on 600's or liter bikes and I catch them every turn rather it be a sweeper or hairpin. All the know how to do is go WOT in a straight line.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
BMW rider's club?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

KidDynamite posted:

Anyone know of any rider groups in NJ that are mature and ride responsibly? My friends have sent me over the edge. I don't want to go out and watch someone die. It especially stupid because they're all on 600's or liter bikes and I catch them every turn rather it be a sweeper or hairpin. All the know how to do is go WOT in a straight line.

Where are you in NJ? I stumbled upon this site looking for places to ride and they seem ok. I haven't ridden or talked with any of them because they are all up north (couple hours away) but browsing iirc they all wear gear so that's a plus over 90% of NJ riders.

I only know a couple riders myself and all they want to do is ride to restaurants and the boardwalk so I almost always fly solo.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

xd posted:

Thread locker is your friend, just don't use the red stuff if you want it off again :)

Pro tip: Stick a hot soldering iron (edit: not a lovely 15w one) on the bolt head for a few minutes then loosen.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 25, 2011

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
First loving year motorcycling and already some rear end in a top hat knocked over my bike and caused hundreds in damage. Came out one day and it had clearly been knocked on its side. Besides the massive tank dent, the clutch cover is scratched, the tail plastics are all hosed up and the brake lever is mashed. gently caress you, whoever did this.

edit: apparently the attachment is broken fixed

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Marvin K. Mooney fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 26, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

bidikyoopi posted:

First loving year motorcycling and already some rear end in a top hat knocked over my bike and caused hundreds in damage. Came out one day and it had clearly been knocked on its side. Besides the massive tank dent, the clutch cover is scratched, the tail plastics are all hosed up and the brake lever is mashed. gently caress you, whoever did this.

edit: apparently the attachment is broken.

Sucks :(

It's still rideable, yeah? All of that stuff is just cosmetic, and the brake lever is easy to fix.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Z3n posted:

Sucks :(

It's still rideable, yeah? All of that stuff is just cosmetic, and the brake lever is easy to fix.

Yeah, and in retrospect that was a pretty angry post haha. I'm not really torn up about it, especially since the bike was so cheap and I knew going in my first bike was going to get trashed. Still frustrating that I haven't gone down yet and still the bike gets damaged.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Where was it parked, for someone to so carelessly knock it over? :/

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Gnaghi posted:

Where are you in NJ? I stumbled upon this site looking for places to ride and they seem ok. I haven't ridden or talked with any of them because they are all up north (couple hours away) but browsing iirc they all wear gear so that's a plus over 90% of NJ riders.

I only know a couple riders myself and all they want to do is ride to restaurants and the boardwalk so I almost always fly solo.

I'm in Bayonne so I guess I count as up North to you and that's all anyone wants to do around here also. "Hey KD let's ride!" 20 minute ride followed by two hours of eating wings. "I thought we were going to ride guys...." Or lets speed down to the boardwalk on straight highway. When I do convince anyone to go ride for a good long ride they do what I said in my earlier post. It's so annoying.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Odette posted:

Where was it parked, for someone to so carelessly knock it over? :/

Outside at my college. So probably a bunch of drunk kids were posing on it as usual and one of them knocked it over. At least they didn't leave it on its side, I hope they used proper technique so they didn't hurt their backs :jerkbag:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

KidDynamite posted:

I'm in Bayonne so I guess I count as up North to you and that's all anyone wants to do around here also. "Hey KD let's ride!" 20 minute ride followed by two hours of eating wings. "I thought we were going to ride guys...." Or lets speed down to the boardwalk on straight highway. When I do convince anyone to go ride for a good long ride they do what I said in my earlier post. It's so annoying.

Yeah man last time I ended up playing motorcycle racing arcade games instead of riding a real motorcycle...I just don't get the mentality.

Bayonne is only a hour away so that's not too bad. I just did a 320 mile day anyways and will probably do more of them so if you wanna meet up and do actual riding here's my info from the other thread.

quote:

City: Eatontown, NJ
Bikes: 2005 Ninja ZX6-R, 2006 Husky SMR 450
Years Ridden: Three years about
Up for: Long rides, short rides, track day maybe?
E-Mail: Bomanroman at gmail

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

bidikyoopi posted:

Outside at my college. So probably a bunch of drunk kids were posing on it as usual and one of them knocked it over. At least they didn't leave it on its side, I hope they used proper technique so they didn't hurt their backs :jerkbag:

Was it parked on asphalt on a hot day without something under the kickstand, by any chance? Either way, I feel your pain, it sucks to have your bike hosed up and not even get a crash story out of it.

edit: wait, gently caress, they picked it back up?? That's ... nice of them I guess?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

SlightlyMadman posted:

Was it parked on asphalt on a hot day without something under the kickstand, by any chance? Either way, I feel your pain, it sucks to have your bike hosed up and not even get a crash story out of it.

edit: wait, gently caress, they picked it back up?? That's ... nice of them I guess?

Wrong side for kickstand damage :v:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BlackMK4 posted:

Wrong side for kickstand damage :v:

A mushroom actually grew up through the pavement right under the kickstand and flipped the bike over.

Those things are powerful, man!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Hopefully it was a 'tasty' mushroom. ;)

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just bought $15 in painting equipment with nothing to paint. Why? Science.

And when you attach that to a 6 foot telescopic pole, you get this.

(pole collapsed)

(pole completely extended)

Still working out a rig to put it on my back, then I'll play around with it a bit in parking lots and stuff. Stay tuned.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Looking forward to seeing how that turns out...might be interesting to rig up something similar on the sumo.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

This... this is great. Eagerly awaiting video.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
watch out for low hanging shrubbery!

Neat perspective :)

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Hipster scum!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Slim Pickens posted:

Still working out a rig to put it on my back, then I'll play around with it a bit in parking lots and stuff. Stay tuned.

External-frame backpack frame. $5 at thrift store. Mic clamps.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've got a decent plan after watching this guy's how-to guide(about 6 minutes in).

http://contour.com/stories/do-it-yourself-boomcam-by-boardhell-longboarders

I've got most of what I need, so I just gotta throw it all together.

redscare posted:

Hipster scum!

What, my jeans? Dawg, these are 514's in a 33, I just got big rear end legs.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slim Pickens posted:

What, my jeans? Dawg, these are 514's in a 33, I just got big rear end legs.

Fact: Riding a Ducati makes your pants tight.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

Fact: Riding a Ducati makes your pants tight.

It makes you dangle from low bridges in mid air is what it does...

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I'd feel pretty sketchy about hanging a $250 camera from a painters pole. Those plastic fittings seem like they would vibrate lose pretty easily. Maybe you can screw it down like you have, then drill a bolt hole through the middle to secure it a bit better?

Gonna be awesome though, what a pretty bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Mcqueen posted:

I'd feel pretty sketchy about hanging a $250 camera from a painters pole. Those plastic fittings seem like they would vibrate lose pretty easily. Maybe you can screw it down like you have, then drill a bolt hole through the middle to secure it a bit better?

Gonna be awesome though, what a pretty bike.

Loctite could help. Or safety wire.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Duct tape fixes everything.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sorry to double post, but I did a bit more work on the boom cam.

The secondhand mic stand and the telescopic pole I bought. It's a little too big, so I used some gorilla tape and made it fit.

Then I bolted the mic pole to a board.

Put all that in a backpack with a kidney belt, stuff the tape roll between the board and backpack to make it clear a helmet, and you get something both awesome and retarded(goes the same for the dog).

The stand couldn't support the weight, but the results from the test were absolutely awesome.

I think I'll need to drill through the stand and have a set screw to keep it in place, as well as a smaller backback. It was moving around a bit, so there's still a bit of work to do. I'm gonna try to upload that video and post it here.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 27, 2011

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Something about Subaru drivers and poo poo driving ski- oh hi Slim, I see you've got a Subaru in your carport there.

Friend of mine was assaulted by some dude in a B9 Tribeca on I90 last year and since then I've given all Subies a wide berth. It's paid off a few times so far, and only since last August. In 1500 miles of riding. Kind of uncanny.

It's not fair to judge you on your cage though I suppose. Do they have real big blind spots or something?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Maybe tribecas, but my pos doesn't really have any big blindspots. I've yet to nearly cream a motorcyclist.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

Something about Subaru drivers and poo poo driving ski- oh hi Slim, I see you've got a Subaru in your carport there.

Friend of mine was assaulted by some dude in a B9 Tribeca on I90 last year and since then I've given all Subies a wide berth. It's paid off a few times so far, and only since last August. In 1500 miles of riding. Kind of uncanny.

It's not fair to judge you on your cage though I suppose. Do they have real big blind spots or something?

I "nearly" got railed by 3 crown vics today, driven by the elderly. First one would have changed lanes into me if I hadn't rolled off 5 seconds earlier because I didn't like how he was driving, second one pulled out of a driveway in front of me but I'd already changed lanes due to paranoia, and then the 3rd one crept into my lane while I was in the right lane. Again, something about him made me nervous so I backed off early and watched him merge without a blinker or a look. Good things come in 3s, I guess. :w00t:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Z3n posted:

I "nearly" got railed by 3 crown vics today, driven by the elderly.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Slim Pickens posted:

Just bought $15 in painting equipment with nothing to paint. Why? Science.

I want to know what this is. So that I can go and buy it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bucephalus posted:

Sad but true.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

KARMA! posted:

I want to know what this is. So that I can go and buy it.

A contourHD on a mic holder, kinda screwed into an angle adapter for a painting pole that I got at Home Depot. Works pretty well.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..

clutchpuck posted:

That sucks, I don't know about the Tribecas but I drive an '03 Outback and it's like 360 degrees of window. I also have blind spot mirrors just to make sure. They have a reputation for holding up well in crashes, so I guess drivers just don't give a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
So speaking of action cams is there a thread somewhere with suggestions/experiences? this looks pretty nice (and cheap)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rOmIoc1xzQ