Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
So, are the Gravion series (there're 2, right?) worth a watch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Zwei is basically the second half of the show, not really a sequel. Also no, not really. I mean there are worse shows, and I've even watched some worse shows, but I definitely don't feel better for having seen it, and would not feel worse if I hadn't.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Gravion is an ok show. I mean it's not awful but it's full of the things Obari seems to have trouble with, namely pacing problems and lack of character development.

Also that Voltron looks terrible. Even though I was too young to see the original Voltron when it aired and i've only seen Golion uncut...this really seems to be the last nail in Nickelodeon's coffin. It's like hipster Voltron like all the shows Nickelodeon makes now.

KoB
May 1, 2009

AzraelNewtype posted:

Zwei is basically the second half of the show, not really a sequel. Also no, not really. I mean there are worse shows, and I've even watched some worse shows, but I definitely don't feel better for having seen it, and would not feel worse if I hadn't.

I think its awesome. Jun Fukuyama as a super robot pilot :c00l:

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
That new "more hip" Voltron is terrible beyond words. The CG Voltron TV series done in the late 90s was leaps and bounds better.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

AzraelNewtype posted:

Also we'd now have Titan on the list. I have to say though, it feels mighty disingenuous to have a Shoji Kawamori designed robot in an American robot thing.

I know you're talking about Symbionic Titan but I'd also want to see Titan Maximum, too. It won an Emmy! for costume designfrom DeVry

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Revolver Bunker posted:

That new "more hip" Voltron is terrible beyond words. The CG Voltron TV series done in the late 90s was leaps and bounds better.

We haven't actually seen the show yet, though. This may be a marketing flub (or not even a flub); there are reams of data showing that Voltron was and remains crazily popular with African Americans and other urban kids of the 80s. This is, without question, an attempt to reach out to that demographic and their children. How well it succeeds is a question I leave to the viewer. :v:

I'm actually really eager to see Voltron Force; I've had a fair amount of respect for World Events for a while now, because unlike Harmony Gold they're really trying to grow and nurture the franchises they acquired way back when. I thought for a while that they might actually get back into the importing business, but I guess Ted Koplar is a little more savvy than that and knows how rough the anime market is right now. All their comments suggest they're at least trying to produce something that older fans can enjoy while not alienating new, young viewers.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
There are space cadet kids. The show is raped :gonk:

(I assume)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Regardless of how good/bad the show is, hopefully we'll at least see a few good toys. It'd be great to by a combining robot without having to pay import fees.

Edit: this particular trailer seems slightly more favorable than the others:
http://www.nicktoons.com/videos/clip/voltron-force-series-trailer.html

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 5, 2011

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Shaezerus posted:

"VOLTRON FORCE, LET'S BREAK SOME STUFF! :iamafag:"

sigh

At least it looks better than their Speed Racer.

This is not a high bar.

At all.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I was looking through what Moon Phase has up and I just realized that only three mecha TV anime are slated to come out for the rest of the year. Sacred Seven, Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere and Appleseed XIII. Also the fact that since we're almost to the middle of the year no more will probably be announced for 2011.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHIfg14Jfm4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbZ-pWuAdc0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPnph7XPIPI

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Ummm I think you're forgetting a little something called GOTHIC MADE?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Zorak posted:

Ummm I think you're forgetting a little something called GOTHIC MADE?

No one knows what Gothicmade is yet but I some how doubt it'll be a TV series.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
It's a movie but it's gonna be so good that it won't matter!!

live the dream

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Just so you all know, I do update the OP whenever one of the shows in the OP gets a new episode subbed. It's just been really slow as of late, sans Panzer World Galient which is going at a pretty steady pace. And also episode 4 of Koutetsu Jeeg is up, with Mach Drill action!

Also, I added something to the list of shows to watch on the OP, which was made easier thanks to Shaezerus making new SRW Z2 avatars. Now if only we can get a Great chapter...

Grenadier
Oct 15, 2004

As long as these commoners keep coming, the mountain of corpses will keep growing!
Requesting that the thread title be changed to :siren:Bryger:siren: if it ever updates again.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Mercury Crusader posted:

Just so you all know, I do update the OP whenever one of the shows in the OP gets a new episode subbed. It's just been really slow as of late, sans Panzer World Galient which is going at a pretty steady pace. And also episode 4 of Koutetsu Jeeg is up, with Mach Drill action!

Also, I added something to the list of shows to watch on the OP, which was made easier thanks to Shaezerus making new SRW Z2 avatars. Now if only we can get a Great chapter...

And Galient is actually complete now. Crinn over at X-Nebula is seriously THE MAN when it comes to translating these old mecha shows.

Hopefully with Galient done, Crinn will get back to GINGA SENPUU BURAIGA and the merciless J9.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Mecha Gojira posted:

And Galient is actually complete now. Crinn over at X-Nebula is seriously THE MAN when it comes to translating these old mecha shows.

Hopefully with Galient done, Crinn will get back to GINGA SENPUU BURAIGA and the merciless J9.

Yeah, having both Dougram and Galient done in a rather steady time frame was sweet. Also hoping for, at the very least, another episode of Bryger.

Anyone know the US legal status for a lot of the mecha shows previously licensed by the likes of ADV and Geneon? I'm guessing Funimation grabbed most of the high profile titles, but I'm talking about stuff like the Mazinkaiser OVAs and the two Getter Robo OVAs.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
ADV still has Mazinkaiser. They haven't been shown to have Armageddon in any meaningful sense, but technically it's probably more that it's a waste of money to reprint it than that they lost the license. Nobody picked up New Getter Robo from Geneon's steaming corpse though.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Mercury Crusader posted:

Yeah, having both Dougram and Galient done in a rather steady time frame was sweet. Also hoping for, at the very least, another episode of Bryger.

Anyone know the US legal status for a lot of the mecha shows previously licensed by the likes of ADV and Geneon? I'm guessing Funimation grabbed most of the high profile titles, but I'm talking about stuff like the Mazinkaiser OVAs and the two Getter Robo OVAs.

Funimation doesn't have Mazinkaiser or the Getter OVAs that I've seen. They did get the rights to and reprint GunxSword from Geneon though so hopefully they'll do more from Geneon or ADV.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Episode one of Groizer X has been subbed. Unfortunately, I've been told the translation is somewhat questionable.

http://www.arr-soarin.blogspot.com/2011/05/gloizer-x.html

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

ARR likes to do one episode and never touch a series again. Unless they have full bootlegs that's probably all they'll do.

In other rage and/or hatred news. Voltron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwTB0cOh9lk

...Yeah.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Guyver posted:

ARR likes to do one episode and never touch a series again. Unless they have full bootlegs that's probably all they'll do.

You ain't kidding. I just browsed their blog and I'm seeing episode 1s all over the place. Of the lot, I'm seeing stuff like God Sigma, Gowapper 5 Godam, Daiohja, Daltanius, and Trider G7, among many other things. Some of the comments on the site and ratings tell me that the translations are pretty bad, but I'll take what I can at this point.

EDIT: I'm surprised that anybody is seeding some of the older stuff.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Guyver posted:

...Yeah.

That's some lovely animation right there.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Guyver posted:

...Yeah.

"Let's go kick some abdomen. :cool: "

The best thing we can hope for is an insurgence of new, good, Voltron toys. won't happen

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Dre2Dee2 posted:

"Let's go kick some abdomen. :cool: "

I hope I'm not the only one who absolutely loving hates these "puns" in cartoons. They are the worst.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I thought it was neat they included the original formation lines, at least. And the "head" thing was cute. v:shobon:v

That said, the animation was really atrocious, like, I'm pretty sure early 90's stuff was better animated.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Captain Invictus posted:

I thought it was neat they included the original formation lines, at least. And the "head" thing was cute. v:shobon:v

You mean that poo poo the dub team threw in because they refuse to allow there to be 30 seconds with no speech? Yeah, gently caress it.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I never knew how much I disliked the gattai monologue until I saw Golion. Or maybe Gaogaigar. Can you imagine how loving obnoxious Gaogaigar's combination would be with "FORM WING, FORM UPPER ARM, FORM FOREARM, FORM CHEST ORNAMENT, FORM HANDS, etc" instead of the awesome-rear end Final Fusion track?

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Well it might be dope cause it would be like "Form shoulders made of train! Now, drill tank shoes! Lion chest! Stealth bomber backpack... and I'll form the Shogun head! :c00l:"

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Alrighty, someone with more time on their hands than me needs to go and dub that abomination, please.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Goofy filler lines by the dub crew are absolutely unacceptable. ugh. UGH. A throwback to those goofy lines 25 years later in a new version of the show? How. Dare. They.

Seriously though, is it really that horrible to include a reference to the original Voltron in it? Not Golion, Voltron. I didn't even know about Golion until this thread.

edit: and I'm not defending the show, it looks really really bad.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Captain Invictus posted:

Goofy filler lines by the dub crew are absolutely unacceptable. ugh. UGH. A throwback to those goofy lines 25 years later in a new version of the show? How. Dare. They.

Seriously though, is it really that horrible to include a reference to the original Voltron in it? Not Golion, Voltron. I didn't even know about Golion until this thread.

edit: and I'm not defending the show, it looks really really bad.

Throwback or not, it's really obnoxious. 20 seconds of the 45-second combination sequence is narmy dialogue that's not even hot-blooded.

Besides, isn't a throwback something done as a reference or background thingy? Like Lockon's Haro, Betterman in GGG Final, Inazuma Kick, or whatnot. That show is highly representative of America today, which is a big pile of remakes and sequels that subsist entirely on copy-pasted moments from their original iterations (even if those original iterations were copied, themselves).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I guess that's why I love that quote though, BECAUSE it's so narmy.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Captain Invictus posted:

There are all manner of ways to reference Voltron (and they are) without bringing back the thing that was added by the dub crew because the adaptation staff thought you were an idiot and would get bored if people stopped talking long enough for the combining to happen. This isn't goofy filler, it's a straight up insult that should have died in the 80s.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Stop acting like the reference shot your dog. I said it was "neat", having my only exposure to Voltron being pretty much Voltron when it aired on TV as a kid and that line being fairly memorable when recalling the show, and you jump down my throat like a rabid Transfan. Chill out.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
At some point, writers have to realize it's much more memorable than to have no one talk. It's more epic and saves money, too!

SDShamshel
Jun 19, 2004

Picturing You Naked
What you can't deny about the Voltron "Activate interlock! Dynatherms connected!" etc. speech is that it's one of the most iconic non-visual elements from Voltron. People just remember that speech either in part or in whole (usually they remember the "form feet and legs..." part).

Of course they'd keep that in the new Voltron cartoon (and I predict any other Voltron remake that will ever exist). It's like if Transformers didn't use the line "Autobots! Transform and roll out!"

Grenadier
Oct 15, 2004

As long as these commoners keep coming, the mountain of corpses will keep growing!

SDShamshel posted:

Activate interlock!
http://www.guardianinterlock.com/

I read this and really can't stop thinking now about how loving great it would be if there was a giant robot show where the main character was an alcoholic and had to blow into one of these things to get his mech started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
"...and I'll form the head!" is the line from Voltron. Anyone who has heard of Voltron knows that line. If they didn't have it people would be having complaints along the lines that it didn't include the iconic line and that it was made by people that didn't know anything about Voltron because everyone knows that when they combine a guy says "...and I'll form the head!" geez why didn't they get someone who cares about Voltron to make this. Just because the original purpose was because they thought everyone had ADHD and would switch off doesn't mean that it hasn't become something more than that.

• Locked thread