Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

CubanMissile posted:

That was a really good episode.

Danzo really seems to have had some great techniques. I would have liked to have seen more of them but unfortunately years of being around have probably taught him that eyehax are the only key to success. Too bad his stolen eyes just weren't as good.
He could have finished Sasuke when he had the chance, but instead he had to get him riled up by talking about Itachi. Then we could have gotten to see Danzo vs Madara, and how Madara would have tried to defeat Shisui's dojutsu.

Instead he says exactly the wrong thing, then gets killed by dumb poo poo like shurikens. So while I like his methodology, realistically he couldn't beat Sasuke even with 11 sharingans, wood release, dna mods, and his final sealing technique. Raikage essentially beat Sasuke (using what, 2 or 3 moves?) and only lost his arm. Danzo lost 11+ lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

I was really really wanting karin to stay dead but the preview pretty much annihilated any hope of that. Women in this show are just abhorrent.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I wonder how many times I've actually seen, through flashbacks, Itachi's "hate me, cling to life" speech. Probably literally 30+

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"

Angry Grimace posted:

I wonder how many times I've actually seen, through flashbacks, Itachi's "hate me, cling to life" speech. Probably literally 30+

That seems a conservative estimate.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

uG posted:

Instead he says exactly the wrong thing, then gets killed by dumb poo poo like shurikens. So while I like his methodology, realistically he couldn't beat Sasuke even with 11 sharingans, wood release, dna mods, and his final sealing technique. Raikage essentially beat Sasuke (using what, 2 or 3 moves?) and only lost his arm. Danzo lost 11+ lives.

True, but the fighting style he employed with based on being pretty devil may care with those lives.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

uG posted:

He could have finished Sasuke when he had the chance, but instead he had to get him riled up by talking about Itachi. Then we could have gotten to see Danzo vs Madara, and how Madara would have tried to defeat Shisui's dojutsu.

Madara was starting up his Hoover no Jutsu when Danzo raised his blade. Sasuke would have gotten out either way. I'd imagine it's pretty tough to fight when you have to keep an eye (or 11) out for a guy who can just bypass your extra lives.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

CubanMissile posted:

True, but the fighting style he employed with based on being pretty devil may care with those lives.
Kirin continually noted how much chakra Danzo used to activate each sharingan for izanagi. It seems reasonable that he could have simply evaded most of the attacks isntead, and used izanagi more strategically, or save his chakra for weed release jutsus.

Tonfa posted:

Madara was starting up his Hoover no Jutsu when Danzo raised his blade. Sasuke would have gotten out either way. I'd imagine it's pretty tough to fight when you have to keep an eye (or 11) out for a guy who can just bypass your extra lives.
He started that up after Danzo got on his soap box. If he'd had just struck immediately (when Madara was just discovering what had happened), there would have been no time.

He also very likely had the option at the end of todays episode if he had decided to genjutsu Sasuke instead of saving it for Madara. Remember, Shisui's dojutsu is probably the second most coveted dojutsu besides Susano, effectively making Danzo one of the most powerful characters of his time (even if the battle doesn't portray that).

uG fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 13, 2011

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Yeah I do have some problems with the battle, was just going with an explanation that isn't Sasuke's plot armor feat. infinite chakra, hulking up and debuffing Aura of Bad Decisions. Too bad, Danzo was an interesting guy.

I'm noticing a worrying increase in flashbacks. The pacing is slipping, Sasuke vs. Bee was less than 2 episodes and it kicked rear end. Here's hoping we're not creeping back into 4TNaruto vs. Orochimaru territory.

Edit: Trying to update the OP but apparently Somemanga is going private and I can't find non-poo poo chapters to link to for the anime->manga crowd anywhere else :negative:

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 13, 2011

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I don't think we can approach that level of content stretching again. Next week's preview looks a little interesting, but we'll know for sure how they're going to do it when we see the preview for two weeks from now.

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

Kingtheninja posted:

I don't think we can approach that level of content stretching again.

Why bother stretching content when you can spend 90% of the episode recapping old content.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Slave posted:

Why bother stretching content when you can spend 90% of the episode recapping old content.

Yeah, this week's episode was a double dose of insufferable by being full of recaps and Sakura.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I can see why they decided to make Sakura a chuunin with stratagems such as singlehandedly taking on an opponent ten levels above her while leaving her team helpless to defend themselves in enemy territory.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

CubanMissile posted:

I can see why they decided to make Sakura a chuunin with stratagems such as singlehandedly taking on an opponent ten levels above her while leaving her team helpless to defend themselves in enemy territory.
Yea somebody tell Sakura that the Will of Fire is a guys club only.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

uG posted:

Yea somebody tell Sakura that the Will of Fire is a guys club only.
I just really hate how her character has been handled after Sasori. She was actually competent back then and now she's back to being weak and useless... What a waste.

Deadpan Science
Sep 6, 2005

by angerbeet

JazzFlight posted:

I just really hate how her character has been handled after Sasori. She was actually competent back then and now she's back to being weak and useless... What a waste.

She just incapacitated an entire squad by herself.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Only because they were, amazingly, acting even dumber than she was.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
You'd think she'd just use those super effective sleep balls on Sasuke...

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Guess I'm with the rest of you guys in being disappointed by Sakura. This episode in particular was painful because of majority being recap filler. In addition I think it was ridiculous to use magic sleep inducing gas to incapacitate three team members and allow here to arrive just in time to interrupt Sasuke killing her companion.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Well that was an annoying episode. I knew as soon as she started the inner monologue while she was running the entire episode was about to be wasted on flashbacks. Ugh.

I'm assuming Sakura's little defection at the end there is some kind of ploy to either detain or in some other way undermine Sasuke's plans because even she can't be pathetic enough to sell out her village and all her friends for a middle-school crush. Then again this is Sakura we're talking about.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 10:52 on May 24, 2011

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I've really held out for a long time on Sasuke. I've been in Naruto's corner, hoping that the peaceful option will prevail. I mean, the show wants you to side with Naruto against all odds, since the noble choice in his scenarios seem so impossible, but he eventually overcomes everyone's expectations. However, Sasuke is just SOOOO unlikeable now that I can't even understand why anyone could feel hope for this guy. He was never really a friend to Naruto in the first series, no matter how much they try to frame the flashbacks now. He's also repeatedly stated that he will never return to his old life/village. He's killed or injured tons of people, and the show doesn't even give the viewer any hints that he's secretly tring to spare lives if possible. Hell, he was 2 steps away from executing Karin in the last ep.

Man, just gently caress this guy already. How much can he do before Naruto realizes that Sasuke is a dangerous rear end in a top hat?

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

JazzFlight posted:

I've really held out for a long time on Sasuke. I've been in Naruto's corner, hoping that the peaceful option will prevail. I mean, the show wants you to side with Naruto against all odds, since the noble choice in his scenarios seem so impossible, but he eventually overcomes everyone's expectations. However, Sasuke is just SOOOO unlikeable now that I can't even understand why anyone could feel hope for this guy. He was never really a friend to Naruto in the first series, no matter how much they try to frame the flashbacks now. He's also repeatedly stated that he will never return to his old life/village. He's killed or injured tons of people, and the show doesn't even give the viewer any hints that he's secretly tring to spare lives if possible. Hell, he was 2 steps away from executing Karin in the last ep.

Man, just gently caress this guy already. How much can he do before Naruto realizes that Sasuke is a dangerous rear end in a top hat?

Naruto is Retarded Ninja Jesus, he will never learn. He may be able to learn Quadruptle Shin Rasengan Hadokens but he still can't even talk to Sakura without getting slapped halfway across Konoha. He will believe in the power of friendship until he dies or Sasuke dies.

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

JazzFlight posted:

I've really held out for a long time on Sasuke. I've been in Naruto's corner, hoping that the peaceful option will prevail.

You really expect the peaceful option to not prevail? I mean I'm sure there will be one or two mega Naruto/Sasuke throwdowns with summons and demons and eyes and lots of clones getting instantly popped and rasengans and poo poo but you just know that in the end the three are all going to live happily ever after and all will be forgiven

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Slave posted:

You really expect the peaceful option to not prevail? I mean I'm sure there will be one or two mega Naruto/Sasuke throwdowns with summons and demons and eyes and lots of clones getting instantly popped and rasengans and poo poo but you just know that in the end the three are all going to live happily ever after and all will be forgiven
Yeah, I know that will happen, it's just getting past the point of audience empathy for Sasuke now. I felt that Pain had a solid philosophy and actually felt like a deep concept for a kid's show. His approach to ending war was pretty convincing, brutal as it was.

Sasuke on the other hand just wants to kill people, and beyond that, I don't think he really gives a crap about anything.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I remember how I felt after watching the episodes where Madara lays out for Saskue Itachi's real motivations. I was seething and absolutely furious at Danzo and the Elders. They were a bunch of smug machiavellian douche bags and I was hoping Saskue would march into Konoha and reveal the truth about them to everyone.

Strangely, I didn't find Danzo's death all that satifsying on the revenge front. In fact I thought it was pretty poignant. He was clearly misguided but his intentions were mostly altruistic.

One thing I think is really interesting is how Pain, Madara, and Danzo, who are all villain characters, all have these plans to bring peace to the Ninja World. It's an interesting dyanmic twist on typical villains and makes them seem much more like real characters as opposed to just foils for the protagonist. A high point in the series was Naruto and Pain's philosphical debate on how to stop the cycle of violence, hatred, and revenge, and achieve real, lasting peace. I nearly teared up when Naruto was talking to Pain about the book Pain inspired Jiraiya to write.

Anyway, getting back to Saskue, after nearly killing Karin he seems like an even bigger rear end in a top hat than ever before. He's always been a little poo poo, gifted among his peers but drivin not just by revenge but also jealousy because he was never able to get anywhere near his brothers truly elite genius. Even now he's just proving how he's not half the man Itachi was.

Deadpan Science
Sep 6, 2005

by angerbeet

Beautiful Ninja posted:

He will believe in the power of friendship until he dies or Sasuke dies.

That's kind of the point.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Well this week's episode was worse than last week's. It isn't total filler I guess, but Naruto wakes up, escapes the hotel and runs towards sasuke/sakura. That's about all the actual content. Next week looks a little better though.

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

Kingtheninja posted:

Next week looks a little better though.

I like how they have the balls to actually give us a preview of filler consisting of past content

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Kingtheninja posted:

Next week looks a little better though.

Yeah, I'm excited. I've been wondering what would happen in a Saskue vs. Kakashi fight.

nuiker
Apr 9, 2007

Slave posted:

I like how they have the balls to actually give us a preview of filler consisting of past content

They just seem to want to start the filler sooner each episode. This week the first thing we got was filler, now they're not even waiting till the episode to get into it.

I'm guessing that next week we get filler courtesy of Kakashi.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Why not just rerun old episodes with narration from one of the characters, this is getting pretty loving ridiculous.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Seriously just get a silhouette of theatre chairs and have Naruto Sakura and Kakashi in them just riffing on past episodes or just loving SOMETHING here. They've seriously stretched about half a manga chapter here into over 2 episodes. HALF A CHAPTER.

LambdaZero
Nov 5, 2009

suck it
Looks like it's about time to ignore this show for another thirty weeks.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!
I think the best way I can describe Sasuke is as an emo kid who actually has the power to do something about his indescribable pain that you know nothing about. Frankly, I find him pretty two dimensional.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I still love how Itachi knew way back when that Sasuke would listen and follow any villain he spoke to. Itachi was the best. Dewey Cox's father should just follow Sasuke around all day repeating the "wrong kid died." line over and over again.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

CubanMissile posted:

I still love how Itachi knew way back when that Sasuke would listen and follow any villain he spoke to. Itachi was the best. Dewey Cox's father should just follow Sasuke around all day repeating the "wrong kid died." line over and over again.

For some reason I have a feeling Itachi has pretty much preplanned this entire series. Or at least any plot relating to Madara.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Speaking of Itachi, I think it was quite a stretch to expect the audience to consider him a "good guy" when they revealed the whole twist about his past. He still killed his entire extended family in cold blood, women and children all, just because maybe they would have started a coup. I find it hard to believe that every single Uchiha was in favor of the revolution plan or was even aware of it, since Sasuke obviously didn't know anything about it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

It does seem a bit much especially when you think about people like the older woman sasuke passes on his way to school. How can that sweet old lady be a part of some vicious coup?

Deadpan Science
Sep 6, 2005

by angerbeet

Kingtheninja posted:

It does seem a bit much especially when you think about people like the older woman sasuke passes on his way to school. How can that sweet old lady be a part of some vicious coup?

A ninja sees through deception

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
To be fair, Shisui's eye can explain why anyone did anything at any point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Kingtheninja posted:

The village elders wanted the same thing we want: a ninja world without Uchiha eyeball bullshit. Too bad they didn't go far enough.

• Locked thread