Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MrBlandAverage posted:

That's it. Haven't seen it cheaper anywhere recently.

Cool, thanks :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

MrBlandAverage posted:

That's it. Haven't seen it cheaper anywhere recently.

http://freestylephoto.biz/192364-Arista-Premium-BandW-400-ISO-35mm-x-36-exp.?cat_id=402

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

nielsm posted:

Those are at different temperatures!
Kodak's 4.75 min value is also quoted on Devchart, but it's for 24 C, while the 6 min value is for 20 C.

It's weird that Kodak sometimes encourages <5min processing... as far as I've heard, processing times under five minutes can cause pretty inconsistent development unless you're spot on with the temps and timing of everything.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

nielsm posted:

Those are at different temperatures!
Kodak's 4.75 min value is also quoted on Devchart, but it's for 24 C, while the 6 min value is for 20 C.

:doh: Yep, I'm a moron. Good catch, thanks!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

MrBlandAverage posted:

The answer to any question containing the phrases "400 ISO" and "B&W film" is Tri-X.

And the other answer is HP5+.

I've only tried Tri-X once, and I didn't get good results (but that's probably because I pushed it to 800 and maybe exposed it wrong). I've been using Ilford stuff exclusively since I can use FP4 and HP5, since apparently Kodak discontinued Plus-X in 120.

I need a changing bag. I discovered the five undeveloped rolls of film I thought someone had stolen or had been thrown away in the back of my mom's freezer under a bag of peas. Of course this is the day after the last day of darkroom access I have :(

For those of you in SF who go to the Harvey Milk photo center, how much is a membership there? I didn't see that info on their website.

Edit: Also, thanks for the SLR recommendations. I didn't get that the FMs were mechanical and the FEs were electronic; now I really want an FM2n or FM3a and the GN Nikkor they have at my camera store :3:

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 24, 2011

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

atomicthumbs posted:

For those of you in SF who go to the Harvey Milk photo center, how much is a membership there? I didn't see that info on their website.

Annual Unlimited - 269
Six Months Unlimited - 150
Six Months Limited - 54 + 5 per visit

(It's on their brochure.)

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
For some stupid reason, I thought it took 12-15 minutes for fixer.... Aside from wasting a lot of my time, it seems, I see no other problems with how long I fixed for. Guess next time I won't skim directions so much hah.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MrBlandAverage posted:

The answer to any question containing the phrases "400 ISO" and "B&W film" is Tri-X.
Or delta/HP5+ 400 (HP5 is easier to knock around).
e: but they're way more expensive than T-Max in the US.

Could also give fomapan and neopan a try.

Some more example here.

HP5+ is probably my favorite out of the bunch. Delta is kinda tricky to push more than 1 stop IMO.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 10:51 on May 24, 2011

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

What are some good small, mechanical SLRs? I'd love to have an SLR with a small normal lens (or other pancake lens) that would work without a battery in it, and fit in my jacket's (large) camera pocket. I like the Nikkormat FT3 very much, but the Nikon 45mm pancake lens is expensive, and there are probably smaller SLRs out there.

And no, I don't want a rangefinder. I like seeing mah scene.

Doesn't get much smaller than the Olympus Pen FT, it has very good ergonomics and decent image performance for something that is rangefinder sized.

Picture from flickriver, for size comparison. The OM-1 is also tiny, costs less but won't give collectors camera boners.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Doesn't get much smaller than the Olympus Pen FT, it has very good ergonomics and decent image performance for something that is rangefinder sized.

Picture from flickriver, for size comparison. The OM-1 is also tiny, costs less but won't give collectors camera boners.

I'll second that, although it is a half-frame camera (frame is a vertically oriented 18x24 rather than a horizontal 36x24). You do get 72 shots on a roll that would normally give you 36, which is cool .

It's also limited by a 1/500s top shutter speed, although it's really only an issue if you're trying to shoot wide open in bright sun. A lot of the lenses are kinda crazily priced because collectors love them, but the 38mm f/1.8 is reasonable and pretty good quality.

If anyone's interested in mine I've been thinking about selling it, but apparently the meter is dead, and it wouldn't come with the lens (I use it on my NEX all the time).

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

evil_bunnY posted:

Or delta/HP5+ 400 (HP5 is easier to knock around).
e: but they're way more expensive than T-Max in the US.

If you shoot a lot of people, T-grained films and standard grained films are really not interchangeable. T-grained films like Delta and T-Max tend to make skin look a little flat. They don't really model light across skin very well unless your scene has a bit more lighting contrast.
I don't shoot on location with t-grain films in 35mm for that reason. The effect seems to be a little diminished with MF films, though, so I'll them in those cameras.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

That exact OM-1 just arrived and I can't wait to get home tomorrow to put it to use :toot:

Cannister
Sep 6, 2006

Steadfast & Ignorant
Kodak Gold 400 (CVS's standard 400 speed film) does pretty a-o-k with rendering pretty colors:

But when it's in a lovely underlit tent on a dark, rainy day and you can only stop down to 2.8 it's pretty hard to save - even when forced to lose the color and go to B/W:

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Looks like adorama is shipping my neopan acros order put in like 2 months ago fwiw

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Is this the place to post your 35mm photos?

Taken with a Canon EOS with a Quantaray telephoto lens:

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!
I just got a freebie bag of old 120 film all at various levels of expiration and I have no idea how it has been stored.

Kodak Portra T100 (02/2005)
Kodak Tri-X 320 (10/2009 and one from 05/2005)
Ilford FP4 125 (08/2006)

I will shoot all the b&w myself. No idea what to expect from the Portra though, it's tungsten balanced so stuff I would never usually shoot. I'll try a roll and see how it looks, maybe anyone here interested in trying it?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

mysticp posted:

I just got a freebie bag of old 120 film all at various levels of expiration and I have no idea how it has been stored.

Ilford FP4 125 (08/2006)

I will shoot all the b&w myself. No idea what to expect from the Portra though, it's tungsten balanced so stuff I would never usually shoot. I'll try a roll and see how it looks, maybe anyone here interested in trying it?
I'd gladly take the Portra T100 off your hands. How much do you have?

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!

MrBlandAverage posted:

I'd gladly take the Portra T100 off your hands. How much do you have?
PM me. As long as you put the effort into shooting a roll and showing us the results here I will mail you a roll for free. I only have 5 rolls so I want to try and spread the love a bit :)

lucifer chikken
May 28, 2001

blame it on the falling sky

mysticp posted:

Ilford FP4 125 (08/2006)

I'd love to try a roll of Portra, it would force me to get over my fear of posting my stuff in the Dorkroom. But, since I'm not a heavy poster and I don't have PMs, you can tack me at the bottom of the list in case there are any leftovers, that'd probably be more fair to frequent posters? I dunno.

I should get over that post-shyness regardless. :)

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Cannister posted:

Kodak Gold 400 (CVS's standard 400 speed film) does pretty a-o-k with rendering pretty colors:

This is such a pretty portrait, I wish she wasn't on the phone. It takes so much out of it for me. :(

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

mysticp posted:

PM me. As long as you put the effort into shooting a roll and showing us the results here I will mail you a roll for free. I only have 5 rolls so I want to try and spread the love a bit :)

PM sent :)

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 26, 2011

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

mysticp posted:

I love free old expired free film for free! Dr. Cogwerks, excellent human being that he is, sent me a roll of 35mm Ektachrome 160T that I'm pondering uses for. Rumour has it the tungsten-balanced films keep their reciprocity for longer exposures at night, I've seen people talk about "up to 4 minutes" though I don't know the details (or how trustworthy such reports are). I also shoot (poorly) 120 on an ancient folder.

Also, I'll send you a PM.

\/\/\/ Nice. Getting out of the city and finding starscapes is pretty straightforward, I think I know what I'm going to do with that film!

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 26, 2011

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

ExecuDork posted:

Rumour has it the tungsten-balanced films keep their reciprocity for longer exposures at night, I've seen people talk about "up to 4 minutes" though I don't know the details (or how trustworthy such reports are).
T100 should be good for at least 2 minutes! http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/e2468/e2468.pdf

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ExecuDork posted:

\/\/\/ Nice. Getting out of the city and finding starscapes is pretty straightforward, I think I know what I'm going to do with that film!

I think you may find the stars will begin to leave trails before you get up to a usable exposure. If you can deal with that, cool, if not, I know there is a formula as to how long you can expose with a particular focal length but I can't find it. Otherwise you'll need a tracking mount.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I don't know the focal length of my ancient folder that takes 120 film (or the aperture - it's just labelled "Small", "Medium", "Large" - I've been assuming small is about F/16), so I'm planning on shooting some test shots with my DSLR, and when I get bored of star trails I'll move on to playing in traffic - I'm a sucker for car headlight / taillight long exposures.

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!

mysticp posted:

Portra 100T

Everything is now spoken for, will send out films tomorrow.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

ExecuDork posted:

I don't know the focal length of my ancient folder that takes 120 film (or the aperture - it's just labelled "Small", "Medium", "Large" - I've been assuming small is about F/16), so I'm planning on shooting some test shots with my DSLR, and when I get bored of star trails I'll move on to playing in traffic - I'm a sucker for car headlight / taillight long exposures.

Most 6x9 folders are in the 100-110mm range for focal length. Most 6x6 folders are in the 75-90mm range.

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit
With the arrival of a new battery today, I'm joining the ranks of ye olde Film Shooters. While mourning the loss of my d7k, my dad informed me he had a pretty sweet film set up collecting dust that I could have.

(stock photo, but mine looks drat near brand new)

So now I have a Minolta SRT-102 in absolute mint condition, an MC ROKKOR 135mm 3.5, a Vivitar 35mm 2.8, 55mm Macro 2.8 and a Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm 3.5 that was in an unopened box, original packing and all.

Really looking forward to shooting film again, haven't done any since high school, about 8-10 years by now. Don't have any plans to develop myself just yet, but after I move this summer might get back into that.

Question - is there a general recommendation for a good quality, not-too-high priced negative scanner? Or are you guys scanning prints? Basically, what's the path of least resistance to still get the photos to the flickr?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

New OM body is here! :toot:

It's boring and rainy, so I'll... photograph the camera! :confuoot:

I've covered wars, ya know :v:

DJExile fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 27, 2011

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

onezero posted:

So now I have a Minolta SRT-102 in absolute mint condition, an MC ROKKOR 135mm 3.5, a Vivitar 35mm 2.8, 55mm Macro 2.8 and a Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm 3.5 that was in an unopened box, original packing and all.

Question - is there a general recommendation for a good quality, not-too-high priced negative scanner? Or are you guys scanning prints? Basically, what's the path of least resistance to still get the photos to the flickr?
Nice, welcome to the Mind of Minolta (I shoot an X-700). That's an excellent selection of lenses you've got, you should be able to pick up a 28mm 2.8 and a 50mm 1.7 for less than $50 for the pair if you feel so inclined; I'm especially impressed by the Vivitar Series 1 70-210 3.5 - that's a drat fine lens.

Last week I snagged an Epson Perfection 3170 for $20; no film holder (previous owner had lost some accessories) but I've been having good luck just holding the negatives down with a piece of plate glass. If you're never going to be scanning medium format, there are many more scanners out there for you - stick with negatives. Getting a lab to make prints or scan to CD costs more than having them just develop the negatives, so a second-hand scanner will pay for itself relative to either prints or CDs in only a few rolls.

As part of GWBBQ's experiments with different developers, I'm about to run a roll of Technical Pan 25 through my Ilfosol S. That combination doesn't show up on the Massive Dev Chart, so I did some comparisons between developers that do have listings for Tech Pan and for films that my Ilfosol S is listed for; it looks like the handful of developers that are used in my pairwise comparisons generally run about 3/4 of the time on Tech Pan compared to films listed with Ilfosol S. So, about 7:30 is my planned development time.

I've never tried to push or pull film, but my understanding is you let it stay in the developer for longer to push and shorter to pull, slightly less than doubling the time to push by 1 stop - is that about right? I shot this roll of ISO 25 film as ISO 25 (slowest film I've ever met, very cool), so I don't want to push or pull it at all, if my guesstimate is off by 30 or 60 seconds should I expect much of an effect?

EDIT: By "about to" I mean I'm going to have dinner, then procrastinate a bit, then clean up so I can develop the film. Plenty of time for any from-the-cuff opinions on my timing calculations. :ohdear:

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 27, 2011

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

onezero posted:

So now I have a Minolta SRT-102 in absolute mint condition, an MC ROKKOR 135mm 3.5, a Vivitar 35mm 2.8, 55mm Macro 2.8 and a Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm 3.5

Seconding the Series 1 love. I managed to find one of those for my Pentax awhile ago for twenty bucks (craigslist rules) and it's a damned great lens.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

onezero posted:

So now I have a Minolta SRT-102

Haha, I just got one of those a couple weeks ago too, with a 50/1.7. Now I keep looking at lenses on keh because they're cheaper than the Nikon equivalents, even though I have 3 Nikon SLRs.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

onezero posted:

With the arrival of a new battery today, I'm joining the ranks of ye olde Film Shooters. While mourning the loss of my d7k, my dad informed me he had a pretty sweet film set up collecting dust that I could have.

(stock photo, but mine looks drat near brand new)

Really looking forward to shooting film again, haven't done any since high school, about 8-10 years by now. Don't have any plans to develop myself just yet, but after I move this summer might get back into that.

I use an Epson V600 but I scan mostly 120. Path of least resistance is to pay a lab for low rez scans and then make higher rez scans when you actually want to print something.

You are in Seattle right? Capitol Hill One Hour Photo (http://www.capitolhillphotoseattle.com/) is your new friend. Great service and develop only color is cheap.

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Seconding the Series 1 love. I managed to find one of those for my Pentax awhile ago for twenty bucks (craigslist rules) and it's a damned great lens.

So as the story goes, my dad got it from his sister's friends who inherited it from their dad...who happened to be a school photographer in the Santa Barbara area, and purchased the lens right before he died. So it's just sat in a box for god knows how long. They gave all the gear to my dad when he was down there last year, as they were just going to finally dump it all at a goodwill.

8th-samurai posted:

You are in Seattle right? Capitol Hill One Hour Photo (http://www.capitolhillphotoseattle.com/) is your new friend. Great service and develop only color is cheap.

drat - you weren't kidding, that is cheap. That's awesome, thanks.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
So, I just developed my first roll of film :woop:

1st note: Paterson reels suck. I figured out at least 8 ways of improving the design while tearing my first roll and having to shoot a second. Not happy Mr Paterson!

2nd and more importantly: How do you guys deal with dust? I admit that while my house has no food scraps or mess anywhere, I'm really slack with dusting so that may be part of the issue. Is there an easy way to remove dust? I tried cleaning the film and scanner with lens cleaning gear and had no luck. Any suggestions (Including software ones - I'm using a canoscan 8800F)?

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

come have a nice cup of tea!

DJExile posted:

New OM body is here! :toot:

It's boring and rainy, so I'll... photograph the camera! :confuoot:

I've covered wars, ya know :v:

Which body is that? I have an OM10 but wouldn't mind having one of the single digit ones but they all seem to have their own pros and cons so i can't pick which to go for :S

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

I've never tried to push or pull film, but my understanding is you let it stay in the developer for longer to push and shorter to pull, slightly less than doubling the time to push by 1 stop - is that about right? I shot this roll of ISO 25 film as ISO 25 (slowest film I've ever met, very cool), so I don't want to push or pull it at all, if my guesstimate is off by 30 or 60 seconds should I expect much of an effect?

Of course it depends on what percentage of the total development time those 30 seconds are. If your total dev time is just 5 minutes it's 10% of the total time and would have a clear impact. If your dev time was 20 minutes, it wouldn't make much of a difference.
I may be wrong on this, but I assume it's safer to err on the side of over-developing, for the same reason it's safer to err on the side of over-exposing for negative films: It's easier to recover details out of a dense area of a negative than it is to recover details from a clear area.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Look, I know I was a naysayer when it was first announced but god drat is Portra 400 a good film stock. I am editing a few shots I took of my brother and his fiance in terrible light and they look amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

EvilRic posted:

Which body is that? I have an OM10 but wouldn't mind having one of the single digit ones but they all seem to have their own pros and cons so i can't pick which to go for :S

OM-1. I had the OM-2 Program but it was a bit busted, and apparently it is brutal on battery life with the meter. I should have my first roll through the OM-1 today.