Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Casao posted:

(Also, adds the screen off/on finally :3: )
Other than text selecting handles, easily 2.3's best feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
My G2 stopped connecting to my wifi network after using the Woofi app. Not sure if that's what caused the issue, but it was a hell of a coincidence. When I couldn't connect to my network(s) last night, I uninstalled Woofi, and still couldn't connect. I have 2 G networks in my house, and they both show up as unavailable, despite toggling wifi on and off and rebooting the phone. I was using CM77, and I flashed (no wipe) CM91 last night, in hopes that it would snap out of it, and still no go. My wife's G2 is connecting just fine, as is my laptop I'm typing on.

Is there some sort of action I can take to possibly re-enable wifi? Dalvik wipe, full wipe, etc? I was hoping to avoid a real wipe, things have been working really well besides this and I was hoping to avoid a re-install of everything.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Casao posted:

If you can't plug into the PC and use ADB, you're almost certainly screwed. It's possible to use ADB over IP, so it's probably technically possible to do a root, but depending on your phone and OS version, it might require a poo poo load of work.

z4root is an on-phone root product that claims to work with all Galaxy S variants, so give it a try.
I think I'm screwed; z4root doesn't work. I'm searching for ADB over IP now and will give it a try.

Some further reading seems to reveal my problem; I did the froyo update this spring and my recover is now running <3e> instead of <2e> ... not sure if it's releated to the whole 'can only charge but not access the phone file system through USB' issue.

I see quite a few videos for buying a special dongle that will force your phone into download mode, not sure if I want to drop money on it as maybe my computer STILL won't see the phone.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

fondue posted:

Some further reading seems to reveal my problem; I did the froyo update this spring and my recover is now running <3e> instead of <2e> ... not sure if it's releated to the whole 'can only charge but not access the phone file system through USB' issue.
It's not.

What wall-charger and USB cable are you using? The Samsung OEM ones?

If you connect the phone to a USB port that follow the USB battery charging spec (i.e., the data pins are shorted together) then the phone will just charge. If you connect it to any other USB port from which it can draw power, it will popup the transfer mode screen (unless you disabled that), whether it can actually negotiate anything at the protocol level or not.

So, it would be unsurprising for your phone to popup the transfer mode screen if you're using an Apple-compatible, or other generic wall charger. The fact you don't get that screen when connected to your computer could mean a bad USB port on your computer, or a bad USB cable, if it's different from the one you use to charge.

But if you're using the Samsung OEM charger, the same cable with both the charger and the computer, and your computer USB port works fine for other purposes, then something is messed up. It actually sounds like the USB port "type" (for the lack of a better word) is inverted, although I'm not sure where and if that's controllable at the software level.

All that said, you should be able to root the device with z4root and install either a test-keys 3e recovery, or downgrade to a 2e recovery, without needing USB. I really wouldn't flash a new ROM though until you get USB working again since, if it does get hosed, there's no way for you to flash back to stock.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Are you using the legit version of Netflix or the one hacked not to verify the device? It's possible that the ROM is reporting itself as something other than an EVO 4G.

This is kind of tangent to the current conversation, but do you have a link to that? I doubt it will work on my Fascinate (nothing does) but it's worth a shot maybe.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

Miss Fats posted:

I rooted my Droid X last night. There aren't any roms listed in the OP so I went with Liberty as it's the only one I've heard about. Apparently there's also a Gingerbread version?

I then installed Zeam to try it out (I used to use LPP). I have most of the programs in the OP (Titanium, Rom Manager, etc).

My phone seems a lot faster than it was and I really like it.

I guess my question is: What now? Is there anything I should be doing? The only thing I know of is wireless tethering but I have no need of it at the moment. Any other Roms I should look into? What about Liberty GB?

I'm kind of lost.

Liberty Gingerbread is fantastic. If you buy the Liberty Toolbox from the market, you can use the built in ROM manager to download Liberty GB 0.5 with updated kernel. You might have to be on GB already so read up on it.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Codiusprime posted:

This is kind of tangent to the current conversation, but do you have a link to that? I doubt it will work on my Fascinate (nothing does) but it's worth a shot maybe.

I'd link to it but I'm not sure if it's considered :filez: or not. You can easily find it on XDA though.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I'd link to it but I'm not sure if it's considered :filez: or not. You can easily find it on XDA though.

Cool, thanks man. Any idea as to whether it works on all phones or just some (I highly doubt it works on all, I'm sure I'll have to do some investigation).

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Isn't the rule here that if it's allowed at XDA, it's allowed here?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's not.

What wall-charger and USB cable are you using? The Samsung OEM ones?

If you connect the phone to a USB port that follow the USB battery charging spec (i.e., the data pins are shorted together) then the phone will just charge. If you connect it to any other USB port from which it can draw power, it will popup the transfer mode screen (unless you disabled that), whether it can actually negotiate anything at the protocol level or not.

So, it would be unsurprising for your phone to popup the transfer mode screen if you're using an Apple-compatible, or other generic wall charger. The fact you don't get that screen when connected to your computer could mean a bad USB port on your computer, or a bad USB cable, if it's different from the one you use to charge.

But if you're using the Samsung OEM charger, the same cable with both the charger and the computer, and your computer USB port works fine for other purposes, then something is messed up. It actually sounds like the USB port "type" (for the lack of a better word) is inverted, although I'm not sure where and if that's controllable at the software level.

All that said, you should be able to root the device with z4root and install either a test-keys 3e recovery, or downgrade to a 2e recovery, without needing USB. I really wouldn't flash a new ROM though until you get USB working again since, if it does get hosed, there's no way for you to flash back to stock.
... Okay, thought I would prove you wrong so I dug around the house and found the charger that was prompting for the file mode. See, I bought this thing from Radio Shack while on vacation because I had forgot the one that came with the phone at home. So I look at the wall charger and see it's a dual-usb socket that you could charge two devices at the same time. I unplugged the cable and looked at it; Samsung. The cable that kept failing me on my PC? The Radio Shack cable. I swapped them and plugged in my phone ... and my phone was detected properly.

:downsgun:

Thank you.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

brc64 posted:

Isn't the rule here that if it's allowed at XDA, it's allowed here?

Now that you mention it that sounds familiar. If a mod confirms it's kosher I'll certainly post a link to it.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Now that you mention it that sounds familiar. If a mod confirms it's kosher I'll certainly post a link to it.

It's a free app that's not usable without a subscription, so I don't see an issue. Plus it's been posted here a few times already.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1076150

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

fondue posted:

The cable that kept failing me on my PC? The Radio Shack cable.
Oh dear. I wonder if instead of the cable being broken/damaged, the RS cable is actually "special", and meant to charge phones quickly.

Which is fine, except when you try to use it on a computer. Which is why they shouldn't make them like that.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

I have a question about rooting and Roms.

I rooted yesterday and installed the Liberty 2.0.1 ROM as noted early in the thread.

I've now been told that I should probably install Liberty Gingerbread 0.4(5?) instead because it's much better. I plan on doing this tonight when I don't need to actually use the phone but I've got some questions.

First, is there any way to make it so I don't have to re-log in all these drat apps? It's a pain. Most of all though, game apps like Paradise Island HD. I didn't consider it when I installed Liberty but I had something like 72 hours (ridiculous I know) on that game and completely wiped to zero. I was fine with it since I wanted to start from scratch again but don't really want to have to start all over.

Is there any way for me to set it up so that after I install the new Liberty Gingerbread 0.4 I can restore the memory to my apps so I don't have to reconfigure everything / replay hours of play time on these things?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Back up with Titanum Backup and then restore data after you flash your ROM.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Back up with Titanum Backup and then restore data after you flash your ROM.

This is what I suspected to be the case, but wanted to make sure.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Xenomorph posted:

CM nightly 86 is really getting there on the Nook Color.

Starting with nightly 82, it included the new 2.6.32 kernel for the Nook Color that fixed Deep Sleep. And starting with nightly 86, it has the new boot partition. I'm guessing it helps if you format /boot or don't have the 1.2 uboot installed. The big thing to me is getting a custom boot splash finally.

With CM 7.0.x, powering on the Nook Color looked like this:

1) "Touch the Future of Reading" or "Read Forever" boot splash in jagged letters.
2) Corrupted "Loading" text flashes quickly.
3) "ANDROID" text in landscape with a blinking cursor.
4) ... then the boot animation loads.

With 7.1/Nightly 86+, it is like this now:

1) Decent-looking, colored "cyanogen(mod)" boot splash.
2) The boot animation loads.

CyanogenMod 7.0.x has pretty much been alpha/beta for the Nook Color, even if it was released as "stable". 7.1 will be a real release for it.

Deep sleep fix is great. My NC used to last maybe 2 or 3 days in sleep mode, but now the battery percentage drops like 2% after a day of lying around.

Also, the CM betas fix the touchscreen issues, too. I have no idea how they did this, but the touchscreen is perfect now and has no problems detecting presses at the edges or on the keyboard.

Question: The Kindle app on my Nook Color is terribly slow, and I can't think of a reason why. Tapping to change the page can take a second or two, and sliding also takes forever. Anyone else have this problem?

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 26, 2011

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

quadratic posted:

It's a free app that's not usable without a subscription, so I don't see an issue. Plus it's been posted here a few times already.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1076150

It's not like you can use it without paying. And yes, XDA and SA abide by the same piracy rules, what's ok there is ok here.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
So I replaced my dX with a Fascinate a while back and apart from the lag (even with the voodoo lag fix the app drawer loads slowly; maybe I just have too many drat apps) and the lovely battery life, I love it.

I know I won't get the same battery life as my dX with the extended battery but would anyone with a Fascinate have any tips?
I'm currently running Community Rom 1.3 with the included kernel, voodoo fix enabled and standard settings (gps off unless necessary, wifi off, screen time-out set for 30 seconds, sync daily, etc.)

I'd like to be able to last longer than a work day on a charge. Back when I was talking to people who were interested in trading dX for the Fascinate, one guy told me he was running Super Clean and getting 16 hours on moderate usage but I think he was just talking bullshit just to butter me up for a straight trade.

E: I *really* wish Samsung has something like Motorola where they have a slightly larger battery for increased battery life, not two drat batteries in one.

travisray2004 fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 26, 2011

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I've never been able to get a good eight hours out of my Fascinate, no matter the rom. Im sure that's not typical though, for example today I got a whole five and a half hours out of my phone before it was down to about 14%. It was in my pocket for probably 80% of that time. Spare parts showed no crazy app, GPS and BT were off, gmail and weatherbug are the only things I have syncing at the moment. For the record I'm running com rom 1.3 also.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Oh dear. I wonder if instead of the cable being broken/damaged, the RS cable is actually "special", and meant to charge phones quickly.
It does charge much faster from the wall socket, that's certain.

How do I tell if I got CM installed? I managed to root my phone, get ROM Manager on it, but when I select the 'Download ROM' the CM isn't listed at all. I've been selecting, "Google Apps" but I was expecting a CM option.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

fondue posted:

It does charge much faster from the wall socket, that's certain.

How do I tell if I got CM installed? I managed to root my phone, get ROM Manager on it, but when I select the 'Download ROM' the CM isn't listed at all. I've been selecting, "Google Apps" but I was expecting a CM option.

CM will only show up in ROM Manager Premium. If you have the Premium version and it still isn't showing up, you may need to flash a newer recovery.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

quadratic posted:

CM will only show up in ROM Manager Premium. If you have the Premium version and it still isn't showing up, you may need to flash a newer recovery.

Cyanogenmod shows up in non-Premium - only stable builds however so any phone lacking stable builds won't get it at all. If your phone has stable builds and you bought Premium, you get access to nightlies in the Download ROM section as well as stable releases.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Casao posted:

CM7N33 for G2x is getting a lot of praise, I'm flashing it in a minute and will report back how it works. 31 was fast, but buggy for me. There have been 3 kernel updates since then, so here's hoping.

(Also, adds the screen off/on finally :3: )
Really looking forward to hearing how this is going. Have they got the data/APN issues worked out yet? What's still broken? (Someone in the xda thread said Navigation didn't work for poo poo but it's xda.)

Are any of the bugs from the stock version fixed? I know it still has sleep death, but does it still have wifi weirdness, bouts of lag, touch sensitivity issues?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Using Juice Defender with ComRom 1.3, I'm usually around 60% when I go to bed at night after waking around 9 or 10, so I'm getting fair battery life. That's with more or less everything disabled unless the screen is on, and it checks 3G periodically to update poo poo.

Speaking of ComRom 1.3, I could've sworn I've used GPS since installing it, but yesterday I couldn't get a GPS fix in over half an hour. That doesn't seem normal, even for a Fascinate.

I had to navigate. . . manually! It was a pretty harrowing experience :v:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Whelp, I caved and switched from Sense 3.0 back to Cyanogen on my Evo. Beyond the whole "sometimes refusing to work" problem, wordfeud didn't work, and I couldn't have that.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Paramemetic posted:

Speaking of ComRom 1.3, I could've sworn I've used GPS since installing it, but yesterday I couldn't get a GPS fix in over half an hour. That doesn't seem normal, even for a Fascinate.

It's stopped working for me about a week after I installed it. I got into the XDA thread and couldn't really find a good solution. I've pretty much given up on having everything working on this phone at once, at least for now.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

fishmech posted:

Cyanogenmod shows up in non-Premium - only stable builds however so any phone lacking stable builds won't get it at all. If your phone has stable builds and you bought Premium, you get access to nightlies in the Download ROM section as well as stable releases.
Well, I have premium but CM isn't considered stable for the Galaxy S Vibrant which I guess explains why nothing is showing up in the Premium section on ROM Manager.

I tried to update using the alternate method (update.zip in the sd card root) but it errors out.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I'm running the 588 Gingerbread leak on my DX. I just downloaded the Liberty Manager Donate version to easily install Liberty Gingerbread. My question is, I don't need to be running a Liberty ROM in order for this to work, right? When I first opened the app it said that I'm running an older version of Liberty ROM and it wanted me to update, but that doesn't apply to this situation right?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

LastInLine posted:

Really looking forward to hearing how this is going. Have they got the data/APN issues worked out yet? What's still broken? (Someone in the xda thread said Navigation didn't work for poo poo but it's xda.)

Are any of the bugs from the stock version fixed? I know it still has sleep death, but does it still have wifi weirdness, bouts of lag, touch sensitivity issues?

So after a day of use, nightly 33 is the best my G2x has ever been.

I haven't had a single incident of sleep death, and I haven't had to pull my battery at all. APN/Data worked, but this was my 3rd CM7 nightly, so I fixed that previously and it stayed fixed.

GPS lock is about my only complaint with this phone right now - it's Samsung levels of slow in Navigation, but it's great in Speedview, so it seems to be something specific to Navi. I'll check out Maps later today.

I haven't used WiFi, so I can't comment on that, but no bouts of lag or touch sensitivity issues. No keyboard lag, either.

The thing is fast, clean, and works well. All in all, I highly recommend Nightly 33.

Edit: IMMEDIATELY after posting this, I go to use my phone for a second and find it's turned itself off sometime in the last minute :negative: Still the first time it happened, and it boots so loving fast, but seriously, G2x? Seriously?

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

So I installed GB and went up to Liberty GB v.4 (I'm afraid about installing a kernel and liberty gb .5 at the same time wtf) and I am decidedly unsatisfied. Mostly because, unlike most of the people on the Liberty boards, I like my phone to look nice/adult and not like it was themed from the back of some silk dragon themed bowling shirt...

Anyway, but because they've stopped updating while they wait for the GB OTA to come, there are basically no themes and now my phone is stuck in ugly land. I'm considering going back to 2.0.1 while I wait on the community to pick back up but now apparently that means I have to "flash back to SBF" whatever the gently caress that means.

oh god

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
SBFing isn't too big of a deal. You basically just need RSD Lite installed on your PC, the most current SBF file for your droid X, boot into bootloader mode (VOL -, Camera, Power) and you're back to stock in a flash. A guide for that can be found here.

Edit: What is it about the Liberty theme that you hate so much that is not changeable?

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 26, 2011

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

fondue posted:

Well, I have premium but CM isn't considered stable for the Galaxy S Vibrant which I guess explains why nothing is showing up in the Premium section on ROM Manager.

I tried to update using the alternate method (update.zip in the sd card root) but it errors out.
Got it all figured out, finally. The steps seem to be;

1. Root phone. Don't use a lovely Radio Shack cable, use the one Samsung provided with your phone.
2. Install ROM Manager. Set your phone to Vibrant (MTD).
3. Flash ROM.
4. Restart Phone.
5. Pick a nightly build in the ROM's now that it's visible.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I recently discovered that with spring here, when I put my phone in the car dock it will overheat while charging since it's in direct sun.

I'm pretty sure I've shortened the battery life, so I'm curious if anyone has a recommendation on a battery for the G2/Desire Z?

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

yamdankee posted:

SBFing isn't too big of a deal. You basically just need RSD Lite installed on your PC, the most current SBF file for your droid X, boot into bootloader mode (VOL -, Camera, Power) and you're back to stock in a flash. A guide for that can be found here.

Edit: What is it about the Liberty theme that you hate so much that is not changeable?

I dislike the colors and icons. There aren't many (any?) good looking themes available. I think that orange yellow/black color is ugly as hell but the only stuff I can change are the battery icons and like I said I'm not too into mucking around with all this stuff on my own so I'd prefer to be able to just pick a theme.

For instance, I like this theme as it is toned down, somewhat professional looking, minimal, etc. It doesn't seem to suffer from a lot of the lens-flaritis that the other themes suffer from.

I figure if OTA update is coming soon, I may just wait depending on how involved the rest of the process seems because then themes for GB should be popping up quite a bit. I just wish I could find something good for Zeam.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Paramemetic posted:

Using Juice Defender with ComRom 1.3, I'm usually around 60% when I go to bed at night after waking around 9 or 10, so I'm getting fair battery life. That's with more or less everything disabled unless the screen is on, and it checks 3G periodically to update poo poo.

I just want to say a big thank you! I haven't used JuiceDefender since I had my Incredible and for some reason I never found it to help that much but it's 4:00 right now and I'm at 63%.

regarding the GPS; have you tried reseting and downloading via GPS Status & Toolbox?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Paramemetic posted:

but yesterday I couldn't get a GPS fix in over half an hour. That doesn't seem normal, even for a Fascinate.
When did you last reboot?

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Can anyone familiar with the liberty rom tell me the benefits of v.5 vs v.4? I'm on .4 now and wondering if I should update or not.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

ExcessBLarg! posted:

When did you last reboot?

If I recall correctly, maybe the day before. I end up having to reboot periodically on the ComRom because it behaves strangely sometimes, like continuing to beep if I get a text while on a call even after the call is over, etc. So it shouldn't be a reboot issue (which is not to say it isn't). I'll look into GPS Status.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!
I'm using CM 7.0.3.1 on an EVO.

I'm having a tough time with Gmail lately. I will receive emails properly, but I can't send them. It just hangs on "sending" forever. Also, when I delete or archive a message, it won't sync to my Gmail account, therefore the message is not deleted.

I've looked into "accounts" and Gmail is set to sync everything, so I'm not sure what else to do.