Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
I can't even believe I'm arguing about this topic, but why should Howard get credit for XM subscriber numbers from the merger? Wouldn't XM subscribers probably be people that didn't give a poo poo about Howard? Otherwise they would have subscribed to Sirius in the first place.

e: That's probably it, it just seems kind of scummy. Like they're suing over a comma because they hope Sirius will settle for $10M or something so Beth can buy another thirty birkin bags.

Meanwhile, JD makes 24K per year. Think of the money the camwhores are missing out on.

Spacemonkey57 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.
I have a feeling this is Don Buchwald driven. The Sirius lawyers made a big mistake and in Howard's contract, just wrote "when the company Sirius-XM has 20 million subscribers, Howard gets $X amount of cash." They never specified where those customers came from or if they're active or anything.

So, Don, being a lawyer, read through this, said "Howard, this is a great opportunity to make some more money, lets sue them."

They did. If they win, Howard gets $25 million and Don gets 10% of that (so I guess Howard walks away with $22.5 million).

This is just my take on the situation.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Spacemonkey57 posted:

I can't even believe I'm arguing about this topic, but why should Howard get credit for XM subscriber numbers from the merger? Wouldn't XM subscribers probably be people that didn't give a poo poo about Howard? Otherwise they would have subscribed to Sirius in the first place.

In the fantasy world Howard and Don live in, Sirius was able to buy XM because of Howard.

I've found myself listening to show a lot less in the past two weeks. I might cancel my Internet sub and just listen to podcasts at work and XM when I'm on the road.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
"The Pirates of the Caribbean movie got horrible reviews, but it made $90 million, so I don't know what to think!"

More evidence that Howard and Robin believe in the Worthington Law.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Glumwheels posted:

In the fantasy world Howard and Don live in, Sirius was able to buy XM because of Howard.

I think it has more to do with the language in Howard's contract. From what I recall it does sort of sound like Howard 'should' get that money with how his contract is worded.

If you remember from yesterday, he even said something like 'its funny how one day your contract means one thing, and when something happens it changes.'

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

-Atom- posted:

I think it has more to do with the language in Howard's contract. From what I recall it does sort of sound like Howard 'should' get that money with how his contract is worded.

Yeah I think he gets paid by "subscriber" or something, and they decided not to count a large chunk of subscribers because they feel they purchased the subscribers and so for some reason it shouldn't count.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

-Atom- posted:

If you remember from yesterday, he even said something like 'its funny how one day your contract means one thing, and when something happens it changes.'

I heard a portion of that and the caller who started berating him for his 3 day work weeks. Anyway, if his contract is worded that way he's entitled to the money.

However, I can see Mel's standpoint that Howard did not bring those XM's subscribers over because Sirius purchased them in the merger. Howard thinks he was responsible for the merger which he wasn't. Both companies were hemorrhaging money to compete with eachother and it was either merge or both companies would be out of business.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2qtRqY27Hs

I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

"I'd rather eat a three-year-old than a pig. Three-year-old's are annoying. What else, Robin?"

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
It really annoys me when howard makes fun of the crew and generally shits on them for doing stupid appearances when he knows they make completely poo poo pay, like people who have been there for a decade+. I know it's usually funny(horrible) but it's just one of those things that always bothers me. He/they really take advantage of misdirected loyalty.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

It really annoys me when howard makes fun of the crew and generally shits on them for doing stupid appearances when he knows they make completely poo poo pay, like people who have been there for a decade+. I know it's usually funny(horrible) but it's just one of those things that always bothers me. He/they really take advantage of misdirected loyalty.

Chris Rock said it best with 'if I had to talk on the radio for 4 hours a day I'd say some hosed up poo poo too.'

I try to remember that when I get annoyed by a bit or something in general on radio shows.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

With Scott the Engineer, I think he has a point. Asking Scott, "do you really feel comfortable taking money for the show you're giving?" is a valid question.

And goofing on Moronnie for his appearances is always great radio.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Can't Stern/Buchwald argue that a merger would never had occurred simply because without Stern, Sirius would have either went into the shitter completely or been bought out versus merging?

It's a stretched syllogism and logic gets flimsy, but he has a point about bringing in subscribers to bolster the company versus XM.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Can't Stern/Buchwald argue that a merger would never had occurred simply because without Stern, Sirius would have either went into the shitter completely or been bought out versus merging?

It's a stretched syllogism and logic gets flimsy, but he has a point about bringing in subscribers to bolster the company versus XM.

Have they figured out how many people purchased a Sirius radio 'just for Howard' versus how many people just buy a car that happens to have a Sirius thing?

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
Their accounting is very sketchy - they used to count cars in the lots that were unsold but had radios in them as subs.

And think of all the people in this thread who cancelled their accounts only to have the radio remain on. It's happened to me a couple of times.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Joe Don Baker posted:

Have they figured out how many people purchased a Sirius radio 'just for Howard' versus how many people just buy a car that happens to have a Sirius thing?

I have no idea. But with Stern as the flagship of the company, I think he has an advantage there. Unless it's an advertisement with Oprah, then they cut him out, but she came over with XM(I think).

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
King of all Blacks calls Rush Limbaugh

http://www.siriusxm.com/howardweb/mp3/52504.mp3 fast forward to 4 minutes in.

King is by so far my favorite caller there basically isn't a second place. Eric the Midget was the best, but he quit calling, which sucks so bad!

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Speaking of ETM, I am currently catching up on Fringe (amazing show!) and just watched the episode with him in it. I had completely forgotten about this whole saga, so I was shocked to see him. And funny how in his part they worked in him asking for money.

Edit: in this clip, when he reaches out for the money my husband actually squealed when he saw Eric's hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP2_3fOEhMM

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Why are all of you entertainment lawyers sagely discussing hypotheticals about a contract you've never even seen before and that Howard probably knows more about?

Howard is the main draw to owning a subscription to any satellite radio service, unless you're a loving mutant who cannot figure out how to run an ipod or something. The NFL and MLB stuff is nice, but the main value to SiriusXM is the Howard Stern Show.

Aside from sports and live talk, none of the product is worth the subscription fee.

So his belief that he's the reason SiriusXM is what it is is not that wild. Is there a Sirius/XM general thread on Something Awful?

In other news, I love his new anti-smoking in public stand, partly because's he's right but mostly because it's awesome to troll smokers who think it's a freedom issue on that topic.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

The language in question was in the lawsuit which was posted earlier in thread. So that part isn't a hypothetical. It spelled out exactly what they are arguing about, if I am remembering it correctly!

Peter North
Apr 23, 2003
White women..... generally don't have sex with black men.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Kelly posted:

The language in question was in the lawsuit which was posted earlier in thread. So that part isn't a hypothetical. It spelled out exactly what they are arguing about, if I am remembering it correctly!

Guess I missed that, got a link? All I saw was the unrelated class action suit.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Ether Frenzy posted:

In other news, I love his new anti-smoking in public stand, partly because's he's right but mostly because it's awesome to troll smokers who think it's a freedom issue on that topic.

That guy on the phone wasn't making any sense. I give Howard credit for sticking with it for more than 20 seconds.

When that segment was over, I jumped out of my car to go into Wawa to get coffee and saw a guy from outside take a final drag on his cigarette, hold it in and exhale once he was inside the store blowing loving smoke all over. Not to sound like an internet tough guy, but I actually wanted to punch him in the face. This happened literally less than two minutes after Howard had that smoking conversation.

Those dudes ruin it for everyone.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Guess I missed that, got a link? All I saw was the unrelated class action suit.

It's here in the thread somewhere - anyone know when this first happened? Beginning of April maybe?

Agent Burt Macklin fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 25, 2011

burmart
Sep 14, 2002

10,000 Cunts
Here's the complaint stern filed. I assume the sections of the contract that are quoted are legit, because if they aren't, the judge won't take kindly to it.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/51320553/Stern-v-SiriusComplaint

Also, to say that nothing but Howard and live sports are the only reason to subscribe to satellite is stupid. I subscribed for Ron and Fez and the music. Yes, I have an iPhone and know how to use it, but sometimes it's a lot nicer to just be able to pick any station and be exposed to whatever is on.

Do I feel like the 60's today? Great. Soul Music (which I don't own much of). Awesome. Fungus. My favorite. Special X? Hells, yeah.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Ether Frenzy posted:

Why are all of you entertainment lawyers sagely discussing hypotheticals about a contract you've never even seen before and that Howard probably knows more about?

If we only discussed things that we were completely sure of and in the know about, rather than complain about the Stern show and its ongoings, then this thread would hypothetically fall off the forums.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I said live talk and live sports.

Yes, it's nice to get the random exposure to songs you wouldn't have put on your own playlist, but would you be paying Sirius' monthly fee for just that?

If we only discussed things that we were completely sure of and in the know about, rather than complain about the Stern show and its ongoings, then this thread would hypothetically fall off the forums.
Fair enough. I just believe Howard does have a lot to do with the success of both companies (post-merger) and his contract obviously did not go the way he expected the previously decided agreement to go.

And I guess that complaint on scribd is just his legal team's wording of the reasons he feels slighted now, not the actual contract he signed prior to coming to Sirius.

Anyone know what Howard's production company is titled for? (One Twelve)

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 25, 2011

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

I like the fact that, even though he's ranting and raving from only one side of the lawsuit, he's at least being open about it. I think if he would just keep vaguely hinting at it and pretending it wasn't happening, I'd be pissed.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Ether Frenzy posted:

January 12th is his birthday.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Duh. For some reason I was thinking about his start date at Sirius and knew it wasn't the 12th.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

Ether Frenzy posted:

Yes, it's nice to get the random exposure to songs you wouldn't have put on your own playlist, but would you be paying Sirius' monthly fee for just that?

Fair enough. I just believe Howard does have a lot to do with the success of both companies (post-merger) and his contract obviously did not go the way he expected the previously decided agreement to go.

And I guess that complaint on scribd is just his legal team's wording of the reasons he feels slighted now, not the actual contract he signed prior to coming to Sirius.

his birthday is January 12, likely it's that.

edit, poo poo beaten like a dick that owes money

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Ether Frenzy posted:

There's a bit in there where they quote the language used to indicate that the XM folks count as his.

I like the fact that, even though he's ranting and raving from only one side of the lawsuit, he's at least being open about it. I think if he would just keep vaguely hinting at it and pretending it wasn't happening, I'd be pissed.

I missed the very beginning of the show - did something happen to bring this on, or did he just open with it?

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Kelly posted:

I missed the very beginning of the show - did something happen to bring this on, or did he just open with it?

He restrained himself today, but I think he is really pissed that Oprah is getting paid to basically do nothing and Howard, who feels entitled to the lawsuit money and feels like he's built the business up, is just raging.

Or perhaps the whole Oprah poo poo is just a catalyst for all the dumb stuff SIRIUS seems to have been, and still is, engaging in.

Plus his rants make me laugh because of how angry he gets.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I'm curious if Howard knew this lawsuit was coming when he decided to resign.

If he did, than he is kind of a bitch.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Vakal posted:

I'm curious if Howard knew this lawsuit was coming when he decided to resign.

If he did, than he is kind of a bitch.

If he's entitled to money, and doesn't do anything about it then the statute will pass and he will zero legal recourse.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

Plus his rants make me laugh because of how angry he gets.

See this is what entertains me.

Whenever he rants about what the gently caress ever, I just get a kick out of it in general. His colloquialisms, delivery, when he gets to a screaming pitch... I know some of you get annoyed with his "I'm the prankster, I prank, no-one else!!!" but I love it.

If it goes too long, it gets annoying, but those freakouts crack me up.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Hey there HS thread. Glad to see you're still chuggin along. So, has there been any ETM updates in the past six months?

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

GenoCanSing posted:

Hey there HS thread. Glad to see you're still chuggin along. So, has there been any ETM updates in the past six months?

Not really, he's just made a few youtube videos commenting that he's not going back on the show, a mini-battle with JD and that's it.

:smith:

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Ether Frenzy posted:

Howard is the main draw to owning a subscription to any satellite radio service, unless you're a loving mutant who cannot figure out how to run an ipod or something. The NFL and MLB stuff is nice, but the main value to SiriusXM is the Howard Stern Show.

Aside from sports and live talk, none of the product is worth the subscription fee.

I will admit that I got it solely for Howard, and for at least the first year or so, 95%+ of the time it was tuned to 100 or 101, but I've since started to listen to a lot of other stations, and have heard a ton of music that I like that I wouldn't have known had I not subscribed. Now its probably about 50% howard, and 50% various music stations (not a sports guy). Will I keep my subscription after Howard retires? I don't have an answer for that.

As far as the smoking thing goes, as a smoker myself, I don't really care that I can't smoke in bars and other indoor places but I think that the outdoors thing is a little too much. Keep in mind, this is my opinion and I'm in no way trying to start poo poo. That being said, in a city like New York, I'd guess that cars, trucks and busses contribute far more pollution than smokers do.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Here is the full call:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7WYN1eJJ5g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Haha that's amazing. I hate Rush but it's hilarious listening to him get frustrated trying to decipher King's ridiculous logic.

I wish he had asked Rush if his faucets are Moen or if his phone is 4G.

"Yo Rush Michelle Obama got nice feet."