Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

perianwyr posted:

This is a Bad Response. It's better to keep it short- it would have been more productive to say "Do you think that we should be taking our policies on immigration from North Korea and Afghanistan? What other policies of Kim Jong Il's do you think would have a particularly salutary effect on our national debt?"

This sort of response doesn't address the point that the original post is full of crap, and other people reading this response who don't know any better might take that as agreement with those lies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.
EDIT: Never mind.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Glimm posted:

This sort of response doesn't address the point that the original post is full of crap, and other people reading this response who don't know any better might take that as agreement with those lies.

There is no way to win with these people. All that is left to us are great zingers.

I responded to a facebook post someone had made about how awesome some guy in North Carolina was because he posted a sign in his diner that said something like "No speak english, no service." And how when people move here they should learn the language.

I said, "This is like that time all those immigrants flooded into North Carolina but refused to learn Cherokee."

He replied, "No this is like the time you went to McDonald's and the cashier didn't speak English."

:negative:

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Miss Fats posted:

There is no way to win with these people. All that is left to us are great zingers.

It is really disheartening, I completely agree there is no way to win with these people. My only hope is that a well reasoned response that rebuts posts like the one mentioned above will sway the folks sitting on the sidelines.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

If your facebook feed doesn't have enough crazy reactionaries, I heartily recommend the US Constitution's page.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

If your facebook feed doesn't have enough crazy reactionaries, I heartily recommend the US Constitution's page.

Also on that page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jan-On-America/163238337070298

that first status is just fantastic.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

It's not enough to disagree with Obama or even say he's incompetent - he has to literally hate freedom and want to destroy the country.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Miss Fats posted:

I responded to a facebook post someone had made about how awesome some guy in North Carolina was because he posted a sign in his diner that said something like "No speak english, no service." And how when people move here they should learn the language.

I said, "This is like that time all those immigrants flooded into North Carolina but refused to learn Cherokee."

He replied, "No this is like the time you went to McDonald's and the cashier didn't speak English."

:negative:

I would think that the whole "land of the free" thing should include being able to speak whatever the gently caress language you'd want to. Or live how you want to, or associate with who you want to, or worship how you want to, if at all.

It doesn't mean "you can be an American if you follow my particular brand of Protestant Christianity and speak English."

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

To them it means "Land of the free to follow my religion and cultural customs, speak my language, and know your place. If not, you're free to go elsewhere."

El Boot
Mar 18, 2009

Thank Dog It's Friday

pillsburysoldier posted:

Also on that page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jan-On-America/163238337070298

that first status is just fantastic.

Does she... does she want to gently caress Netanyahu?

Sense and Motion
Jan 9, 2011

Laughter, I said, is madness.

Glimm posted:

It is really disheartening, I completely agree there is no way to win with these people. My only hope is that a well reasoned response that rebuts posts like the one mentioned above will sway the folks sitting on the sidelines.

There may be no way to win with some people, but I honestly believe snarky responses and 'zingers' make things worse in most cases. Yes, 'these people' will almost certainly not be swayed at all, but snark and arrogance (as they see it, often correctly) from the enemy just fuels their views sometimes. But, more importantly, this is the Internet and arguments and discussions are generally public, and while we may not be able to persuade the specific person we aim to, what we write and post is recorded and will easily reach other people, for better or worse. I may be right about something, but to Joe, who simply stumbled upon my post and who has no particularly strong opinion on the subject, my rude, condescending attitude may be off-putting enough that the actual content is ignored.

Like here in SA-- this is a comedy forum, yeah, but when discussing touchy subjects, well-written, well-presented arguments change minds, and quite a few former-lurkers who were once adamant about their more conservative beliefs have admitted to changing their views drastically in all the 'how does SA affect you' type threads that have been popping up in the past several years. It's not normally the zingers or the troll-accusations (a favorite of some goons when conservative viewpoints pop up every once in a while), but reasonable, informative, well-written responses that affect people who actually care, even if those responses are not directed at them (though a few have recently admitted to changing due to LF. I still don't know how that works... but, then again, I rarely-- if ever-- ventured there in the past year or two, so who knows).

Sense and Motion fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 26, 2011

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh

Miss Fats posted:

To them it means "Land of the free to follow my religion and cultural customs, speak my language, and know your place. If not, you're free to go elsewhere."

I happened to be in the Dells this last weekend, and there was some GOP convention being held in the same hotel I was at. I saw a car with all sorts of GOP garbage proudly displayed, and one that stuck out was a sticker saying "I will NOT press 1 for English!". I then said that I've never actually ran across that. I've always had english be the first language spoken, and a voice in spanish then says to press 2 for english. Of course my dad's stupid girlfriend argued that US Bank DOES make you press 1 for english. I wish I had called it up in front of them, but I didn't. I did it later, and what do you know?! It was in english!

Those idiots are railing against something that doesn't even exist. It's nothing but xenophobia.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

I almost got my Uncle out of that xenophobic funk (which is quite an accomplishment because he admits he's racist) when I finally sat him down and said, "Listen. Can you track back when our family got to this country? Because there were blacks working hard in Jamestown, and the Southwest was Mexico for a long time before it was ever the United States. "American Culture" is all these things and they're all equally valid. Just because it's not YOUR culture doesn't mean it's not OUR culture. They've worked just as hard, they've put just as much into this country, and they have just as much right to speak, act, and listen to whatever they want."

You could see in his eyes it really made him think and I almost had him. He said, "You make a good point but I don't care. It's still inconvenient for me."

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Thenipwax posted:

Of course my dad's stupid girlfriend argued that US Bank DOES make you press 1 for english.

I understand the underlying problem with people who complain about this poo poo is pretty blatant racism/xenophobia/bigotry, but what I always thought was funny is that they direct a lot of their anger towards privately held business, which give language options specifically to increase their customer base. Why do they hate the free market and capitalism so much?

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Thenipwax posted:

I saw a car with all sorts of GOP garbage proudly displayed

There's a regular who comes into where I work with a big SUV with tons of bumper stickers and stuff all across the back. I've never gone up to read most of them, but the two I can make out from a distance are "Illegals get NADA!" and Calvin pissing on ACLU.

It absolutely boggles my mind that someone can hate a non-profit organization that actively protects citizens from the government. They literally simply have heard it said in a scary voice enough times to know that it must be liberal and bad.

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

What if that thing I said?
A couple of days ago a woman in line in front of me at the Nordstrom Rack got ridiculously angry at the woman behind her. I think she was mad because the woman was kind of half in line, still browsing the racks next to the line while the line moved.

Anyway, she shoved her cart and told her to "go back to Russia, or wherever you're from!"

I was too taken aback to say anything right then. I thought I might have been on a hidden camera show. A friend of the "Russian" (she was most likely from some other Eastern European country given local demographics) woman came over to ask what happened, and I explained, making sure to say "very xenophobic" loudly. After saying "xenophobic" out loud I realized it's like the least condemning thing I could have said.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

And the least likely word to be in that woman's vocabulary, ironically.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Miss Fats posted:

You could see in his eyes it really made him think and I almost had him. He said, "You make a good point but I don't care. It's still inconvenient for me."

At least he is honest about his intentions unlike the other 99%.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Someone had the bright idea of making a page for all the "real outrage over Onion Articles" fb posts.

http://literallyunbelievable.tumblr.com/

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

pillsburysoldier posted:

Someone had the bright idea of making a page for all the "real outrage over Onion Articles" fb posts.

Well thats bookmarked!

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Thenipwax posted:

"I will NOT press 1 for English!".

You know, maybe there are some customers who are American citizens and speak English as a second language, but when it comes to important matters such as personal finances etc. they would rather listen to directions in their native tongue so as not to avoid any misunderstandings? v:shobon:v

LoveMeDead
Feb 16, 2011
My mother sent me this to "change to personalize" and send to my state legislator.

Sample Letter to the Editor #2
Dear Editor:
The law is a great teacher. It encourages or discourages certain kinds of behavior. Thirty years of seat belt laws have led to a sixty-five percent increase in seatbelt use. Increased taxation on cigarettes has led to fewer smokers. It is believed that a ban on texting while driving will lead to less texting on the road and the saving of more lives. Government often passes laws that encourage or discourage certain behaviors.
Legalizing gay “marriage” would encourage even more homosexual behavior, which is inherently unhealthy. The rising numbers of sexually-transmitted diseases in the homosexual community (despite years of education about “safe-sex”) demonstrates this truth. Gay “marriage” will lead to increased healthcare costs and taxpayer expense.
This is but one of the reasons why the New York State Legislature should reject any attempt to change the definition of marriage to include same-sex couples.
Sincerely,
Name
City or Town, State

The funniest thing is, I live in TN and we banned gay marriage last year. Plus, I am married but bisexual (which she knows) and my daughter is bisexual (which she knows). I think I'm going to personalize it by taking out all of the non-factual bullshit and send it back.

Of course if I take out all the bullshit it would just be
Dear Editor:
Sincerely,
LoveMeDead

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh
^^^
It's funny how they frame it as an expense to taxpayers. Gay people pay taxes just like everybody else, yet don't get the same rights as everybody else. Why isn't that outraging people?

Neptr posted:

You know, maybe there are some customers who are American citizens and speak English as a second language, but when it comes to important matters such as personal finances etc. they would rather listen to directions in their native tongue so as not to avoid any misunderstandings? v:shobon:v

The point is that the complaint in the bumper sticker implies that Spanish is usurping English as the main language in America, and that is a ridiculous and false assertion. English already is the default language on all of those phone menus, yet the bumper sticker would have you believe that it is necessary to press a button to hear it.

King Ramses
Feb 22, 2011

Unzip and Attack posted:

Well, if you work for a company with any shred of decency, a nice formal report of that comment would do wonders. Seriously, people like that don't need to be in leadership positions.

Whoops, don't know how I missed this.

But she is the company. Owns the building, all that goodness.

Otherwise she is an amazing person. We take all federal holidays off (Except MLK day), and she honestly cares deeply about the people she works with and works for. Just that bit of racism in an otherwise decent person.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Thenipwax posted:

^^^
It's funny how they frame it as an expense to taxpayers. Gay people pay taxes just like everybody else, yet don't get the same rights as everybody else. Why isn't that outraging people?

The point is that the complaint in the bumper sticker implies that Spanish is usurping English as the main language in America, and that is a ridiculous and false assertion. English already is the default language on all of those phone menus, yet the bumper sticker would have you believe that it is necessary to press a button to hear it.

Also, if a private company wants to offer options in multiple langauges, why should that offend them? It's the right of the owners of that commercial property to serve their customers any way they wish.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
^^^
And since government should be run more like a business...

King Ramses posted:

Whoops, don't know how I missed this.

But she is the company. Owns the building, all that goodness.

Otherwise she is an amazing person. We take all federal holidays off (Except MLK day), and she honestly cares deeply about the people she works with and works for. Just that bit of racism in an otherwise decent person.

I don't think being a good person works this way. It's sad how allowing employees to take holidays off work makes you a good boss in the US though.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

pillsburysoldier posted:

Ok I've either literally found the dumbest person alive or I am getting wooshed really hard:

http://literallyunbelievable.tumblr.com/post/5763428916

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch

King Ramses posted:

We take all federal holidays off (Except MLK day), and she honestly cares deeply about the people she works with and works for. Just that bit of racism in an otherwise decent person.
I've never understood people who don't celebrate MLK Day. Like, how deep-seated is your racism-
"Oh, I'd like a paid holiday, and also if my business is open, no banks, post offices or anything else is - BUT gently caress THAT, NO DARKIE'S GETTING A HOLIDAY ON MY WATCH!"

It's a day off from work, man. Just take it.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Truly One Of The Best Emails I Have Ever Seen!!!

A mother asked this President... 'Why did my son have to die in Iraq ?'

A mother asked this President.. 'Why did my son have to die in Saudi Arabia ?'

A mother asked this President... 'Why did my son have to die in Kuwait ?'

Another mother asked this President... 'Why did my son have to die in Vietnam ?'

Another mother asked this President... 'Why did my son have to die in Korea ?'

Another mother asked this President... 'Why did my son have to die on Iwo Jima ?'

Another mother asked this President... 'Why did my son have to die on a battlefield in France ?'

Yet another mother asked this President... 'Why did my son have to die at Gettysburg ?'

And yet another mother asked this President... 'Why did my son have to die on a frozen field near Valley Forge ?'

Then long, long ago, a mother asked..

'Heavenly Father .. why did my Son have to die on a cross outside of Jerusalem ?'

The answer is always the same... 'So that others may live and dwell in peace, happiness, and freedom.'

This was emailed to me with no author. I thought the magnitude and the simplicity were awesome.

If you are not willing to stand BEHIND our troops,

Please, please feel free to stand in front of them....

http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSzeb001YYUS
ONE FLAG, ONE LANGUAGE, ONE NATION UNDER GOD

May God Bless All of You!!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
That mid-90's war with Saudi Arabia cost so many lives :(

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Another mother asked this President... 'Why did my son have to die at Kent State?'

Another mother asked this President... 'Why did my son have to die in the Philippines?'

Another mother asked this President... 'Why did my son have to die in Mexico?'

The answer is always the same... 'For American businessmen to have a larger profit margin.'

Hey, wait, why DID her son have to die in Vietnam? I don't think their answer adequately addressed that one.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
At the end of that last one, it goes from "troop worship" to "literally troop worship."

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
If you aren't willing to blindly follow the military, I'd rather you be killed.

That's fascism for you.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

the posted:

That's fascism for you.

PS, are troops are the reincarnation of Jesus Christ. Ein Flagge, ein Volk, ein Reich!

Gott mit uns.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010
It's funny because Jesus was actually pretty clear that he wasn't dying in order to cause magic happy fun land. Of course, you can't have people thinking of the deaths of soldiers as necessary evils, because then you can question just how necessary they are.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

Neptr posted:

There in America now. They should stop talking that moon talk and thank the Lord Jesus that they're in the greatest country in the world now. Love it or leave it, as you can always go back to that shithole you call a homeland anytime you want.

Thenipwax posted:

^^^
They have the same right as heterosexuals to marry a person of the opposite gender :smug:

Armyman25 posted:

It doesn't mean "you can be an American if you follow my particular brand of Protestant Christianity and speak English."
This is why the Pilgrims came here in the first place. The King wouldn't let them do their brand of Protestant Christianity, so they came over here to form a colony where you could ONLY live by that branch of Protestantism.

XyloJW posted:

Hey, wait, why DID her son have to die in Vietnam? I don't think their answer adequately addressed that one.
To save the gooks from the evil spectre of Communism. Unfortunately, we failed because the lefties failed to support the troops and protested too much. Thanks a lot libs, now all those deaths are in vain.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

ChipNDip posted:

They have the same right as heterosexuals to marry a person of the opposite gender :smug:

Actually, might this be considered fraud in some cases if they want benefits? It may be a weak argument, but it's better than my previous argument: screaming and pulling my hair out.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Dr Christmas posted:

Actually, might this be considered fraud in some cases if they want benefits? It may be a weak argument, but it's better than my previous argument: screaming and pulling my hair out.

It's literally impossible for a man and a woman to be just friends and reap the benefits though. See that's why gay marriage is so scary, because since every man only has male friends (many single!) they could reap the benefits with ease!

(Alternatively: Everyone is actually heterosexual they just might not know it without the help of Jesus Christ)

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 28, 2011

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008

the posted:

That's fascism for you.

I like the idea that those mothers are apparently the bad guys for being upset that their children may have died and questioning why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Tars Tarkas posted:

Truly One Of The Best Emails I Have Ever Seen!!!

A mother asked this President... 'Why did my son have to die in Iraq ?'

A mother asked this President.. 'Why did my son have to die in Saudi Arabia ?'

A mother asked this President... 'Why did my son have to die in Kuwait ?'

Another mother asked this President... 'Why did my son have to die in Vietnam ?'

Another mother asked this President... 'Why did my son have to die in Korea ?'

Another mother asked this President... 'Why did my son have to die on Iwo Jima ?'

Another mother asked this President... 'Why did my son have to die on a battlefield in France ?'

Yet another mother asked this President... 'Why did my son have to die at Gettysburg ?'

And yet another mother asked this President... 'Why did my son have to die on a frozen field near Valley Forge ?'

Then long, long ago, a mother asked..

'Heavenly Father .. why did my Son have to die on a cross outside of Jerusalem ?'

The answer is always the same... 'So that others may live and dwell in peace, happiness, and freedom.'

This was emailed to me with no author. I thought the magnitude and the simplicity were awesome.

If you are not willing to stand BEHIND our troops,

Please, please feel free to stand in front of them....

http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSzeb001YYUS
ONE FLAG, ONE LANGUAGE, ONE NATION UNDER GOD

May God Bless All of You!!
I'm sorry, I'm so sorry.