Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

RandomCheese posted:

Still on the pick talk, I got a few more V-Picks, one of which was the 8.5mm thick Colossal.

I don't think it'll become my main plectrum but it's still interesting to use, has a very different attack when hitting the strings due to the steep angle of the material, it just glides over everything and doesn't really dig in without additional effort. This does affect the sound quite a bit, not a lot of bite to it but would be great for rhythm. An unexpected side effect of using this mammoth pick for a while is that my other picks now feel like precision surgical instruments, even the Screamer which is one of the bigger picks I had previously used. I see this as a good thing, it's the same reason I use big heavy sticks when doing drum rudiments on a pad and lighter ones when at the kit, so I can see myself using the colossal as a regular practice tool.

The Screamer is still my favourite V-Pick (or any pick at all), this last order was primarily to replace the one I have misplaced somewhere among my many guitar-playing areas around the house (their transparency is the biggest negative, there's a fair chance it's within a 5ft radius of me right now) and one of the new Screamers is glow in the dark so hopefully that will help somewhat next time one goes AWOL.

Anyone at all interested could do themselves a big favour by investing a few dollars into a Screamer, I have had a guitar in my hands more this month than in the previous half-year simply because of this pick.

I'm going to see if I can get Vinni to make me a Screamer in 5.85, love the shape of it in theory but really prefer the thicker picks. He made me a Diamond buffed and unbuffed in 5.85 and they're two of my favorites (all the pros of the Psycho picks, no cons to speak of at all - lightning fast, super precise, fits just right in the hand and still has plenty of mass to move the string however you want). Also looking at the one his son is making, that looks pretty interesting. Like a more useable Psycho Shredder. He's mentioned that it's difficult to do the rounded edges on thick picks in the past (e.g. chances of getting a thick Dimension are pretty damned slim), but with the equilateral, normal triangle form factor I bet it's considerably easier, less grinds involved to get it rounded and a simpler buff.

Man, I want a Colossal. That'll be part of my next order for sure (which is going to have to wait awhile, I'm not interested in hemorrhaging money on picks, it's been a slow build to what I've got). It's just a gorgeous pick, I dunno if it'll get much use as thick as it is, I just want it to have, to try. My concern was that at that thickness, doesn't it start to collide with adjacent strings if you don't have a wider string spacing? How's the consistency on higher strings when doing quick runs?

I'm having trouble getting in touch with Jean-Charles Dugain to complete a custom order at the moment, may just have to go with some standard stuff. That's alright, he makes good picks, I don't have to have some kind of extra special mojo from them being just for me. I want to try his brass picks, a Brass full-sized seems like it'd be really cool. I have held onto a brass .8mm pick for a long time because I like the sound, it'd be neat to have a bigger one.

Should be getting 3 backup Surfpicks in tomorrow, as close as he could make them to the one I've got (figured it would be a good idea to go ahead and order them now while they're fresh in his memory, since carving from wood block blanks is a bit different than laser cuts with hand-finishing), provided the weather doesn't kill me tomorrow! Backups because while it is the best wood for the job, it's still wood, it'll wear eventually. Everything does. In the future, I will be ordering some more, but in a thinner size, half to give away to the very nice guy who gave me so many picks to start with and cut me a huge deal on the Blue Chip.

Which, by the way, despite being stupid expensive to get new, is a really nice sounding pick. It has exceptional glide over the strings. The bevel on it is one of the best I've ever seen, it's doubly offset, smart solution to the engineering problem of how to manage an even attack with a slick but dense pick.

People who think I'm crazy but don't mind owning a pick previously used by a crazy person, I've got a small number of premium picks from the V-Picks lineup I don't think I'll be using anymore now that I've really started to narrow down my preferences and go after more custom stuff that is specifically what I want. Let's see, I've got a Dimension Unbuffed and a Snake Pointed Buffed that I can give away. Anyone want to try a nice thick pick without paying anything? Normally cost $10, I don't mind shipping overseas, first come first serve but only ask if you're willing to give them a shot as I'd hate to waste money sending these neato 4.1mm suckers out to someone who thinks Fender Heavies are a bit too thick, if you get my meaning. Both claimed, sorry anyone who wanted one but missed out.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Agreed posted:

People who think I'm crazy but don't mind owning a pick previously used by a crazy person,

I'm quite new to electric guitar, but I'd be really interested in trying that Snake Pointed. I was having a big-rear end discussion on picks with a friend earlier today and was drooling over that Colossal. I didn't realize just how much fetishism could be involved in picks, but these monstrosities seem really nice.

You can get ahold of me at (testament2 at gmail dot com) if there are no other significant interests.

and since I'm here, I never did post the guitar + amp I picked up to get started on figuring out how to shred.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 25, 2011

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Agreed posted:

My concern was that at that thickness, doesn't it start to collide with adjacent strings if you don't have a wider string spacing? How's the consistency on higher strings when doing quick runs?

No collisions at all with adjacent strings, the pick doesn't hit it's full thickness until about 8mm past the tip so unless you really dig in while playing it's not going to be an issue, and you've said you have a lighter touch anyway so there's no problem there. The bevel of the tip makes the pick almost want to rise up over the string instead of just forcing through it like a flatter one does and it sort of guides your hand into picking a certain way. Picking is very consistent over all strings, when a pick this size says MOVE you'd better believe all those now tiny strings do exactly what it says.
It does take a little while to get used to, initially it felt very foreign with it's sheer size but having spent a bit more time with it I'm now quite comfortable using it and like the way it handles.

Gym Leader Barack fucked around with this message at 09:26 on May 25, 2011

communistdew
Sep 11, 2005
Where do we light our cigars with dollah bills?

Side Effects posted:

So I've been working on an SG Junior for the better part of four months and now she's ready to be shown:

Two piece mahogany body, mahogany set neck with an ebony fretboard, tung-oil finish, authentic Gibson P-90, and controls just where I wanted them. It was a bitch to construct in an apartment building but drat was it all worth it.

I'm still adjusting the intonation and the P-90 has to be wired up, but drat does she sound awesome.

Nice to see someone else practicing apartment luthiery! I really like the simpleness of that whole layout. I only like SGs when they are barebones like that. And mahogany is a fine fine wood. Beauty.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Side Effects posted:

So I've been working on an SG Junior for the better part of four months and now she's ready to be shown:

Two piece mahogany body, mahogany set neck with an ebony fretboard, tung-oil finish, authentic Gibson P-90, and controls just where I wanted them. It was a bitch to construct in an apartment building but drat was it all worth it.

I'm still adjusting the intonation and the P-90 has to be wired up, but drat does she sound awesome.

drat, I wish I had that kind of skill. Looks very good indeed.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

Agreed posted:

People who think I'm crazy but don't mind owning a pick previously used by a crazy person, I've got a small number of premium picks from the V-Picks lineup I don't think I'll be using anymore now that I've really started to narrow down my preferences and go after more custom stuff that is specifically what I want. Let's see, I've got a Dimension Unbuffed and a Snake Pointed Buffed that I can give away. Anyone want to try a nice thick pick without paying anything? Normally cost $10, I don't mind shipping overseas, first come first serve but only ask if you're willing to give them a shot as I'd hate to waste money sending these neato 4.1mm suckers out to someone who thinks Fender Heavies are a bit too thick, if you get my meaning.

Dear mister crazy person, I'm interested. I'll give it a good tryout.

Loquitor
Dec 29, 2007
non res ipsa loquitor
Just randomly going through the work message board at lunch, and I saw a guy had posted a bunch of recording gear for sale, I got:-

A Behringer Xenyx 1204fx as an entry level mixer for me and a PEQ2200 parametric equaliser.

$100 AU for the pair.

Shalkore
Oct 11, 2007

Welcome to 2012!

Agreed posted:

People who think I'm crazy but don't mind owning a pick previously used by a crazy person, I've got a small number of premium picks from the V-Picks lineup I don't think I'll be using anymore now that I've really started to narrow down my preferences and go after more custom stuff that is specifically what I want. Let's see, I've got a Dimension Unbuffed and a Snake Pointed Buffed that I can give away. Anyone want to try a nice thick pick without paying anything? Normally cost $10, I don't mind shipping overseas, first come first serve but only ask if you're willing to give them a shot as I'd hate to waste money sending these neato 4.1mm suckers out to someone who thinks Fender Heavies are a bit too thick, if you get my meaning.

I'd love one.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Faffel posted:

and since I'm here, I never did post the guitar + amp I picked up to get started on figuring out how to shred.

Despite what you said in the other thread, your guitar's actually pretty nice man!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Faffel posted:

I'm quite new to electric guitar, but I'd be really interested in trying that Snake Pointed. I was having a big-rear end discussion on picks with a friend earlier today and was drooling over that Colossal. I didn't realize just how much fetishism could be involved in picks, but these monstrosities seem really nice.

You were the first, I'll send you an email to get your shipping address and send out the Snake Pointed Buffed. If you try it and decide it's not for you, easy come, easy go, send it along to someone else please.

Zakalwe posted:

Dear mister crazy person, I'm interested. I'll give it a good tryout.

A Dimension Unbuffed will be heading your way, send me a PM with your shipping address please. Same deal, if you end up not liking it, please pass it on to someone else for free too :)

Shalkore posted:

I'd love one.

Sorry, man, those were the only two I've got that I can part with at the moment :( Maybe one of the other guys won't like theirs and can send it to you?

I'd appreciate that, other guys. Though I hope you like it well enough to hang onto it (sorry Shalkore, they are really cool picks though!)

RandomCheese posted:

No collisions at all with adjacent strings, the pick doesn't hit it's full thickness until about 8mm past the tip so unless you really dig in while playing it's not going to be an issue, and you've said you have a lighter touch anyway so there's no problem there. The bevel of the tip makes the pick almost want to rise up over the string instead of just forcing through it like a flatter one does and it sort of guides your hand into picking a certain way. Picking is very consistent over all strings, when a pick this size says MOVE you'd better believe all those now tiny strings do exactly what it says.
It does take a little while to get used to, initially it felt very foreign with it's sheer size but having spent a bit more time with it I'm now quite comfortable using it and like the way it handles.

That sounds really, really neat. Definitely on the list of stuff to get around to trying eventually.

fcuk
May 24, 2011

by Ozmaugh

A Czech Furch D40 CM CE (I think they're called 'Stonebridge' the US) I recently bought used for around $700. Plays like a dream, incredible tone and quality for the money. I also really like the aesthetics of no pick guard (I play mostly fingerstyle folk, so I don't really need it)

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

MurraneousX posted:

Despite what you said in the other thread, your guitar's actually pretty nice man!

I am slowly warming up to it as the weeks go by. Thanks though, haha. My only complaint is that the Les Paul body can be really weird to play sometimes - I haven't found a great way to balance it on my leg compared to the Strat build.

And thank you Agreed! I'll definitely pass it along if I don't like the feel of it.

GLC
Feb 21, 2001

Side Effects posted:

I've always wanted this exact guitar but with a single humbucker and a rosewood fretboard, maybe a koa body. There's just something about raw wood, one pickup, and nothing to screw up. Never got around to building one, but maybe someday.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Side Effects posted:

That looks quite a bit oversized, how's the balance on that thing?

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

DrChu posted:

That looks quite a bit oversized, how's the balance on that thing?

It actually has the same basic dimensions as a regular SG; the body just looks larger because it's leaning back on the stand and the picture is at a low angle.

Compared to a normal SG, the balance is way better. I thinned the headstock down width-wise as well as increased the body thickness a little and that seems to have corrected the balance issue totally.

Also, thanks everyone for the kind words. It's nice to hear that my second attempt at lutherie (with lots of help) managed to create something that is pleasing to the eye!

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I guess you're right, I'm used to seeing them with a tune-o-matic rather than a one piece bridge.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Finally got to bring this one home.

The Guit-Banj-O-Lin, built by a guy named Rex Parker who was also a bluegrass/gospel performer in West Virginia. Alleedly built in the mid to late 50s, but I think the DeArmonds date it to a bit later. It's crude as hell, and plays for poo poo right now, but still awesome. I need to restring it and see if I can get the action down.

Has a Gibson P90 on the guitar side, and DeArmond pickups on the banjo and mandolin. 26 fret guitar neck, although the spacing past the 20th fret is suspect. Gibson tuners on the banjo neck, Klusons on the mandolin, and some cheap open back ones on the guitar neck.

Barn Door
Mar 6, 2007

shut the fuck up charles

widefault posted:

26 fret guitar neck, although the spacing past the 20th fret is suspect.

Haha, yeah. Mathematics wasn't the strong suit of whoever did that.

How heavy is that thing?

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Bare Knuckle Aftermath

Havenīt bought anything guitar related in few years, next up is full retube set.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Weeellll, I finally heard back from Monsieur Dugain and I can get some pretty nifty custom picks for the low low price of 74€ (current conversion works out to be a bit over a hundred bucks).

Now that's value! But he is the guy who actually got a patent on picks in the '80s, and his work is superior in quality. It's not much more than the per-pick price on his work, really, I just want a few of them at once so it comes up high.

Yeah, I'm probably certainly going to do it. Because I am a crazy person. :)

Edit: In all seriousness, though, while that is a lot of money to spend on picks, I'm getting a handful of them, and on an individual level the price for them even after adjustment is comparable to domestic boutique plectrum makers. Shipping internationally + relatively weak dollar + a (respectably minor) up-charge for custom thickness and a bit of custom shaping as well in his materials = an apparently high price, though it's just the result of those factors colluding rather than some unfair pricing on his part. His prices are competitive, which is cool given that he's sort of the grandfather of boutique picks. One of the ones I'm getting that is not custom but should be pretty cool nonetheless is one of his brass picks, I love the sound of an .80mm brass pick I've got but it's far thinner than I would prefer. I suspect that his particular style will make for greater playability and probably better sound, as well, in a material I know I like already.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 26, 2011

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
How thick is a sixpence, anyhow? Well. Was.

Picked up a new bridge, some tuners, some stuff. I'll have photos in a bit.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Agreed posted:

Weeellll, I finally heard back from Monsieur Dugain and I can get some pretty nifty custom picks for the low low price of 74€ (current conversion works out to be a bit over a hundred bucks).

Now that's value! But he is the guy who actually got a patent on picks in the '80s, and his work is superior in quality. It's not much more than the per-pick price on his work, really, I just want a few of them at once so it comes up high.

Yeah, I'm probably certainly going to do it. Because I am a crazy person. :)

I'm really still surprised at the level of fetishism that can be involved in picks. I didn't really give a poo poo about them until two days ago, but the proper pick is a real helper in strumming. I dunno how people can use floppy picks, they sound so slappy. Those Dugain picks look pretty nice and they're a little more understated than the V-Picks.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Fetishism is an interesting way to put it, I'm not rubbing them all over myself to get off :v: But, I guess there is an element to it, pretty clearly, of wanting to just experience these things in their differences that could be considered just collecting behavior. Anyone who knows my history with various sundry poo poo you can acquire related to guitar knows that I tend to kinda just jump the gently caress on in when I get interested in something. Going for the Dugains is going to mean upping the ante to "two pedals' worth of money so far," which, considering I've got (no longer counting Wamplers since I work here and they're not going anywhere so non-liquid under current circumstances) like 40 pedals... isn't too bad.

My wife is supposed to take pictures of 15 or so of those pedals so I can move 'em down the line, I bought her a really cool camera and everything to do it with. I don't want a ton of pedals in a box for no reason :argh:

Speaking of boxes (or, speaking of really forced segues) I need to find my pick box. I used to keep the variety of 1-3mm Dunlops I had in it before we moved down here, and my wife found it a few months back, but I can't remember where it ended up. I'm running out of room on the corner of my desk where picks go. Yes, plectrums are creating a space concern. It all started with three V-Picks! :tinfoil:

Oh, oh, I forgot to mention that I got something cool! A Marshall 9004 preamp! It's solid state, has a sound that reminds me very much of the early Valvestate heads. I missed out on an 8001 half stack for $500 when I was in college and have lamented it ever since, so I made the decision to pick this thing up for cheap. Came in a neato 4-rack case, too, and it's made in England, has the weird plug and transformer adapter thingy too. Brian Wampler used to mod these, maybe I can get him to go over this one. Otherwise, just a few replacement pots and it's good to go. Very cool sounding pre, aggressive, tight, dry. Thrash metal tone.

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009

widefault posted:

The Guit-Banj-O-Lin, built by a guy named Rex Parker who was also a bluegrass/gospel performer in West Virginia. Alleedly built in the mid to late 50s, but I think the DeArmonds date it to a bit later. It's crude as hell, and plays for poo poo right now, but still awesome. I need to restring it and see if I can get the action down.

Has a Gibson P90 on the guitar side, and DeArmond pickups on the banjo and mandolin. 26 fret guitar neck, although the spacing past the 20th fret is suspect. Gibson tuners on the banjo neck, Klusons on the mandolin, and some cheap open back ones on the guitar neck.

Where did you find this thing? It's beyond bizarre.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

widefault posted:

Wow, I was NOT prepared for this as I scrolled down. That thing completely rules, and I hope you do some crazy stuff with it.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

amishbuttermaster posted:

Where did you find this thing? It's beyond bizarre.

My dad bought it from the widow of the builder. About 20 years ago my dad bought a car, and happened to trace it back to Rex. He got in contact with him and his wife, visited them multiple times, and became kind of close to the family. When Rex died, his wife sold off a few of the instruments, and my dad picked this one up. Rex actually is/was fairly well known in the bluegrass community of West Virginia.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Shalkore posted:

I'd love one.

Good news! It turns out I have a Snake Unbuffed too that I can give away, completely forgot about it, so if you want that one it's yours.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Agreed posted:

Good news! It turns out I have a Snake Unbuffed too that I can give away, completely forgot about it, so if you want that one it's yours.

I'm still waiting on an email from you. No rush, just making sure you got the right email address.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I tend to still be working well after the post office's hours of operation, so freebies are a bit low on the priority list, unfortunately, can't really quit work to go mail a pick out, but I'll get to it as soon as I reasonably can. I will shoot you an email at least soon to get your address.

Platinum member(s) by all means shoot me a PM, a bit easier to work with.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
About a year ago I saw a bluesman named Tab Benoit at a blues festival and loved his sound, and subsequently, his guitars: 1972 Tele Thinlines.

I've been scheming to get my hands on one ever since. My father beat me to it, though, and for my birthday got me another build it yourself kit, this time a 1972 Thinline! I finished assembly yesterday, played it late into the night, and then woke up and started playing again.

The wood is Swamp Ash, and I decided it looks best in the natural finish.

It has a pair of Wilkinson Vintage Voice pickups which are pretty much PAFs, and an awesome sound. You can feel the vibration in the f-hole, it's just as much fun to play as I imagined it to be.

Also, my first Tele.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Paramemetic posted:

I've been scheming to get my hands on one ever since. My father beat me to it, though, and for my birthday got me another build it yourself kit, this time a 1972 Thinline! I finished assembly yesterday, played it late into the night, and then woke up and started playing again.

What brand kit is that?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

TyChan posted:

What brand kit is that?

BYO. I wasn't impressed with my first guitar from them but this one is solid. The other one just had cheap chinese pups that I haven't upgraded yet. Overall I'm pleased, they deliver what they say they will.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Paramemetic posted:

Also, my first Tele.

:hfive:
Just got my first tele today. Also I bought a 4x10, Arc Flash, and Macbook Pro all within the last month and I guess they qualify for this thread too. Here is a lovely cell phone pic of them together:

And here's a lovely cell phone family shot:

The ASAT is pretty awesome so far, but needs some work. The pickup selector switch and output jack both need to be replaced. I'm not sure what neck it is, but it feels great. It's about fifteen years old and has a three bolt neck. The finish is a goldburst sparkle but the sparkly part doesn't really come through in the pictures. It might be time for me to buy a real camera.

I haven't spent much time with the Arc Flash yet, but it's so far an awesome little fuzz. At practice last night it sounded great on bass.

As for the Mac, I didn't buy it just for music but Core Audio is like loving magic coming from a PC.

Barn Door
Mar 6, 2007

shut the fuck up charles

Paramemetic posted:

1972 Tele Thinlines.

I also have to profess my love of this particular instrument. The clean tones are just phenomenal, and of all my guitars it's by far the easiest to play.

schizorage
Dec 26, 2005

It's a 1986 Marshall 3210 Lead 100 MOSFET. I have a buddy who used one of these on a couple of death metal albums in the 90s and I found this one for $150 at a pawn shop... Couldn't pass it up. The gain pot is stripped, but it still works, strangely... just keeps on turning past 10. I haven't got a footswitch for it, and rather than flip out about that fact I'm simply going to learn to blend the channels for now. Should be interesting. My other amp is a 90s Ampeg Reverberocket head with matching 4x12 cab, and I've been pretty happy with it no matter if I was playing jazz, blues, country or doom. Loud clean amps are interestingly versatile, especially with the right pedals. This one, on the other hand should probably get me close to JCM800 territory, and at 15% the price of a 2203. Simply rockin'.

schizorage fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 29, 2011

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Help goons! I am stuck between choosing whether my next purchase should be:

Epiphone MB-200 Banjo:

I've always liked the sound of a banjo, and it seems to be such a fun and simple instrument to play. Since I'm drifting towards simpler music and the summer time sets the perfect mood for it, it seems like a no-brainer. But then there's...

Akai Miniak Synthesizer:

The looks can be deceptive; this thing is really a beast under the hood, essentially being a clone of the Alesis Ion with improved polyphony and multitimbrality. Having dabbled in sound design and decided that the computer is too much of a distraction for me, it seems like it would provide the perfect toolset for me. Plus, it would feed my growing interest in digital electronics, being able to accept MIDI NRPNs for super-precise control and automation (see where I'm going with this?) Problem is, it's been discontinued and is growing increasingly hard to find, so buying now seems like a good idea.

So which one should it be?

snorch fucked around with this message at 12:59 on May 30, 2011

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

snorch posted:

Epiphone MB-200 Banjo:

I've always liked the sound of a banjo, and it seems to be such a fun and simple instrument to play. Since I'm drifting towards simpler music and the summer time sets the perfect mood for it, it seems like a no-brainer. But then there's...

Akai Miniak Synthesizer:

The looks can be deceptive; this thing is really a beast under the hood, essentially being a clone of the Alesis Ion with improved polyphony and multitimbrality. Having dabbled in sound design and decided that the computer is too much of a distraction for me, it seems like it would provide the perfect toolset for me. Plus, it would feed my growing interest in digital electronics, being able to accept MIDI NRPNs for super-precise control and automation (see where I'm going with this?) Problem is, it's been discontinued and is growing increasingly hard to find, so buying now seems like a good idea.

The synth, man. Only so much you can do on a banjo unless you go full throttle on Ye Olde Musicke. And you can probably pick one up anytime in a pawnshop, no? I have an old Roland JX3P which although pretty limited compared to modern gear can still make me piss away hours on sound exploration. Can't imagine that happening on a banjo or mandolin however much I like the tone.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

W424 posted:

Bare Knuckle Aftermath

Havenīt bought anything guitar related in few years, next up is full retube set.

This thing is stupid-good. Best bridge humbucker eva eva.

yearns for u
Nov 3, 2010

snorch posted:

Epiphone MB-200 Banjo:

Akai Miniak Synthesizer:

I believe the synth isn't just essentially a clone of the Ion, but it is the very same modeling engine.

I like the micron, and by extension, the Miniak. However, within a similar price range there is also the Avid/M audio Venom. I played with the Venom and really liked it, so and as I recall the Guitar Center I was at had both the Miniak and the Venom on display.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hermaphrodite
Oct 2, 2004

Luckily, I CAN go fuck myself!

This is a Noble hollowbody, made by the Tombo Instrument Company (who also made "Norma" guitars) of Japan in around '66. It's extremely Mosrite Combo-like: unusual body shape, narrow neck, zero fret, speed frets, stamped roller bridge, german carve, slanted neck pickup, volute on headstock, single volume/tone knobs. You can't really call it a copy but it's obvious which guitar they had in mind when they designed it. It was an excellent deal too ($300), and in such good condition that I seriously think it lived forgotten under someone's bed for many years.

More pics here

(Mosrite Combo) for reference

I've been looking for one of these for a couple years, I've only seen pics of 5 or 6 of them. As far as I can tell it's all original, and came with the original chipboard case. Just has a few nicks/chips, minor fretwear, no corrosion anywhere. It plays great with about the lowest action I've ever seen. The humbuckers actually sound pretty good too, just right for the instro surf/eleki sound I'm after. I'm super happy to have found it, now I have to decide which of my other guitars needs to go.

Hermaphrodite fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 30, 2011