Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

buddhanc posted:

I'm looking to travel with my family to Eastern Europe later on in the summer. I have a few ideas as to where I want to go-- most likely some combination of Germany, Poland, and maybe the Czech Republic or Hungary. My main concern is where to start the trip from, as I am worried about plane flight costs. I'll be starting in Austin, Texas, and I would certainly appreciate some help sorting out the best possible flight path for the least amount of money. The idea is to probably start in Germany and continue by train from there as we do have experience with the train system in Europe. Is this plan even realistic for two or three months from now without being outrageously expensive?

If you're travelling with a family, then renting a car will be far cheaper than trains. A good general rule of thumb is: trains are cheaper than cars for 1 person, break-even is 2 people, and cheaper at 3 people.

Frankfurt will probably be the cheapest airport for you to fly into (but not necessarily).

What is "outrageously expensive"? Hotels are going to be your biggest cost if your family doesn't want to camp or stay in hostels. For a 4 person family, you could do a 3 month trip on ~$15k with only a little bit of penny pinching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Sorry, I phrased my previous post a little poorly. It will actually only be about a 10 to 14 day trip with a few days at each stop. Are the drive times reasonable? I've never driven within Europe before, but it takes 7 hours to get from Austin to Lubbock and that's just within Texas borders.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Saladman posted:

If you're travelling with a family, then renting a car will be far cheaper than trains. A good general rule of thumb is: trains are cheaper than cars for 1 person, break-even is 2 people, and cheaper at 3 people.

If he starts in germany, he should check rental contracts. Most rental agencies have restrictions or refuse a rental if you want to travel to eastern europe.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

My family would much rather take trains if possible. Unless they are horribly over-priced/slow/dirty/whatever else could be wrong.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

elwood posted:

If he starts in germany, he should check rental contracts. Most rental agencies have restrictions or refuse a rental if you want to travel to eastern europe.

Yeah, that's true too. Plus you have to return the car to the same place (generally) or pay a one-way fee (from €200 and up, way up). For a 2-3 month you can return easily, but I see I misread... in 2-3 weeks you'd probably want to suck up the one-way fee. Trains are horribly over-priced for a family, so I would still go with a car unless you're a family of 3, in which case I -personally- would still go with a car, but wouldn't recommend it as hard. E.g. it's like $25/hour on a train, so for 4 people going 5 hours, you're looking at ~$500 in train fees, while doing the same drive would cost $80 in gas + $60 for the car's rental fee for the day. (Estimates, of course.) If you're going to move around every 2-3 days, trains will be really expensive, but if you're planning on spending 5 days in Berlin, 4 days in Budapest, 3 days in Krakow, etc, then trains are ok.

What's "horribly expensive"? You could do a 3 week trip for ~$8k, including airfare for 4, and if you stayed in hotels.

E: Your drive times are reasonable for 2-3 weeks. It's only 10 hours from Berlin to Budapest, which is nothing for someone from the US, but an unimaginable ordeal for someone from Europe.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 08:56 on May 24, 2011

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
if you want trains I'd do this

It really depends what you want to see, and if you have a specific connection to any of those places.

I'd do an itinerary like this:

fly into frankfurt
- maybe spend time here, afaik it's just the cheapest flight hub

train to berlin
-take the super express ICE (DB calls it something different than a normal ICE), it's the fastest way between the 2 cities
-Museum Insel, which is awesome
-Cool city in general

train to warsaw
-capital of poland
-cool enough old town
-some neat buildings
-treblinka memorial

train to krakow
-Probably the nicest city in poland
-the wawel, a massive citadel with a cathedral and palace
-nice, scenic old town
-nifty salt mines, worth half a day if you have it
-Auschwitz, probably among the weirdest places I've ever been

train to prague
-Cool castle
-lots of bars/partying
-lots to see around the old/new town areas
-nice cathedral

train to munich
-really nice city, amazing park (englischer garten)
-deutches museum, BMW welt, other poo poo
-various beergartens and beerkellers around the city, the am platz ones (hofbrauhaus) are very popular with tourists, in the summer the chinesischer turm in the park is really great
-dachau concentration camp

train back to frankfurt to fly out

This is a pretty basic itinerary of what I'd say to do, I suppose you could easily add more on, cities in poland that you could do are breslau and danzig (these have different names in polish/english, idgaf. You can also do a daytrip or small excursion to slazburg from munich if you want to see the mozart poo poo or another neat fort/castle

people here can say what they think of this, the notable feature is that the trains work well between these cities

Landsknecht fucked around with this message at 09:50 on May 24, 2011

gregarious Ted
Jun 6, 2005
What is the best way to get from Venice to Paris?

I'm leaning towards a flight. Friends that I'm meeting over there are getting the overnight train but they are leaving a day earlier than me. Not that keen to get the train alone. Reading the above I could get a car and try to convince them to stay a day later and split the cost (4 ways).

Edit: scratch the car its 500 euro

gregarious Ted fucked around with this message at 09:04 on May 24, 2011

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
^^^^ Yeah cars, suck to rent for just one person, since it's both more expensive and you can't chill like you can on a train/plane. It's really only economically beneficial once you get 3-4 in a car splitting the costs, and only more convenient if you want to hit small towns that trains don't easily go to.

Landsknecht posted:

people here can say what they think of this, the notable feature is that the trains work well between these cities

Landsknecht's itinerary sounds really good. Budapest isn't that awesome anyway, and it is really far from Prague. If you went down that way, I'd just add Vienna and not go as far as Budapest.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Toll roads (all major highways) in France are really expensive too. Geneva to Paris was 45

KBD
Mar 24, 2010

get a butt
I just got back from Europe and wanted to give a heads-up, especially if you're flying shorter routes, don't book with Lufthansa! They used to be a pretty reliable airline but on this trip alone (we had maybe six flights in total, most with LH) they were the ONLY airline that consistently had long delays, technical difficulties, lost luggage, and cabin crew that seemed to be doing concentration camp re-enactments.

If you're by chance flying to Sarajevo, definitely avoid. We got stranded for a while at the SJJ airport and ran into a frequent flier that told us it has been either 4-5 hours delayed or cancelled every single time for the past year (not because of weather but because of "technical issues", this time they had to fly back to Germany to get a new plane).

I'm not sure what happened, but the difference is notable and the slight edge they have in being cheaper just isn't worth it.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
I have a flight to Korea booked for June 13th-28th but I'm strongly considering, for a variety of reasons, rerouting to Europe for June 12th-30th for just a few dollars more. I lived in Korea for a year and a half and was looking forward to seeing old friends again, but a bunch of things fell through and, well, I've never been to Europe, so why not? However, while I've traveled through much of Asia, I know absolutely nothing about Europe and have your typical backpacker budget. I'd be counting on couchsurfing and grocery meals to take me through much of my trip, with the occasional hostel or restaurant meal here and there. I'd like to hit Spain (anywhere in Spain anyone may recommend, though flights into Barcelona seem to be cheapest), Berlin and Prague. I don't really like clubbing, excessive drinking, etc (in moderation is fine), and I don't have the patience for museums, unless they're REALLY cool, hands on, and/or famous. I love music, people, learning bits and pieces of other languages, and seeing/experiencing things that are unique about the culture of and the country I'm visiting. My favorite things to do when I travel are biking around and "discovering" cities that way, and to meet/hang out with locals and see/do what they do day-to-day and/or to have fun at night. Right now, the best deal I've found is flying JFK->BCN on the 12th, flying PRG->JFK on the 30th, and flying Ryanair BCN->RYG, RYG->BER on the 20th.

A bunch of questions:

-I kept seeing in this thread (I read through about 15 pages of it before I posted this) how awesome Barcelona is, but a lot of it seemed to have to do with bars/clubs/drinking/etc. What other kinds of things make Barcelona so awesome?

-What are some absolute must-see, must do things for any or all of the above destinations? Best use of about five days in Spain, a few hours in Oslo (or just outside of it, closer to Moss), 3-4 days in Berlin and about six in Prague?

-What's the best (ease/cost-efficiency) way to go about renting a bike in Europe in general, and/or these specific cities/countries in particular?

-What's the best way to meet/befriend locals? I know a bit of German and Spanish from studying them in high school/college, and I'd definitely want to learn a bit of Czech and maybe Catalan if necessary (I pick up languages fairly easily). How/where do you approach people just out of the blue without seeming really weird ("Hi, wanna be frieeeeeeeeeeeeeeends??????")

-Approximately what should I be budgeting for such a trip? Any budget advice beyond the usual cheap hostels/grocery food/couchsurfing/don't drink or eat out a lot advice?

-Any better suggestions for Spain-->Berlin than the $50 Ryanair route I found? I like that I'd have a short stopover in Oslo--it's a nice way to fit in another city--but if there is a better option that would allow me to, you know, take a suitcase, that might be better.

-Any other advice/suggestions you may have? Changes I should make? Expectations I should/shouldn't have? I'm all ears.

Sorry to make such a token tourist post, but I figure I've answered enough of them on SA that I can do so relatively guilt-free. :)

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
-What's the best way to meet/befriend locals? I know a bit of German and Spanish from studying them in high school/college, and I'd definitely want to learn a bit of Czech and maybe Catalan if necessary (I pick up languages fairly easily). How/where do you approach people just out of the blue without seeming really weird ("Hi, wanna be frieeeeeeeeeeeeeeends??????")

This won't happen in germany or in any scandinavian country really. I mean people are nice and stuff, but you won't become friends with any people really. It's just not the way people really are, friends are usually someone who you know really well and know a lot about, and it's hard to break into these circles unless you spend an extended amount of time together.

-Approximately what should I be budgeting for such a trip? Any budget advice beyond the usual cheap hostels/grocery food/couchsurfing/don't drink or eat out a lot advice?

Put down $100 per day, that will cover you in all major, expensive cities easily, it might only cost you 50 per day in prague or even berlin if you get cheap accommodation. Like attractions are fairly cheap everywhere you want to go, and food can be easy if you have access to cooking equipment and a grocery store. Oslo will be loving expensive though, as is most of urban scandinavia.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

blinkeve1826 posted:

-I kept seeing in this thread (I read through about 15 pages of it before I posted this) how awesome Barcelona is, but a lot of it seemed to have to do with bars/clubs/drinking/etc. What other kinds of things make Barcelona so awesome?

Barcelona:
- Football
- Las Ramblas - A street full of street performers, fortune tellers, bird shops. This entire part of the city is picturesque and Mediterranean. Watch your back after dark.
- Gaudi buildings, park
- Sagrada Familia cathedral
- great city to walk around, lots of trees, seagulls, cats - friendly Mediterranean atmosphere

Meeting locals:
Your chances are better in less touristy places (not Barcelona, definitely). Try couchsurfing - there are hosts who can't give you a place to sleep but will have a drink with you. You can even try asking here on SA, I bet at least a couple of Berlin goons exist.

If you'd prefer "cold approaching" try to find a common interest. Go see a sport event or a concert that actually interest you and find local fans of the same thing.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

blinkeve1826 posted:

Beaches, warm weather, pretty lively at night compared to most of Europe. From your interests, it doesn't sound like it's "so awesome" for you in particular but it's still a fun town to bike/walk around in.

blinkeve1826 posted:

-What are some absolute must-see, must do things for any or all of the above destinations? Best use of about five days in Spain, a few hours in Oslo (or just outside of it, closer to Moss), 3-4 days in Berlin and about six in Prague?

Barcelona: Sagrada Familia, Picasso Museum, Citadella Park, the beaches (which will be crowded as hell and, IMO, awful, in June, but they will be nice early in the day on weekdays), and you can walk around the crowded tourist hellholes and dodge gypsies if that's your thing (e.g. Las Ramblas).

Berlin: Pretentious nightclubs, the Pergamon (seriously an awesome museum; skip the Egypt museum though it sucks), just walking up and down Alexanderstrasse and sitting at a bar and drinking a beer outside, checking out the wall remnants and Brandenberg Gate and Reichstag

Oslo: Not much really. I spent four days there a few years ago and I don't remember anything except how expensive it was. The highly rated Viking Ship Museum was boring. Bergen is great and the countryside is great but Oslo is pretty blasé. 21 hours of sunlight a day is awesome though.

Prague: Walk around the downtown area, check out the architecture, check out the palace on the hill, check out the scary wall at the Wallenstein Palace, go to one of the nine hundred concerts or shows that people will be forcing fliers down your throat to go to.

blinkeve1826 posted:

-What's the best (ease/cost-efficiency) way to go about renting a bike in Europe in general, and/or these specific cities/countries in particular?

A lot of cities have bike rental stations at or near the main train station(s). I have never considered rented a bike in any of those cities though; they're all pretty car and foot-traffic crowded, and many of the streets in Prague are terrible for bikes IIRC (cobblestone). If you're used to biking in Seoul or wherever in Korea though I'm sure you won't mind it.

blinkeve1826 posted:

You're not going to pick up enough Czech or Catalan to be even remotely useful in a social situation unless you're Daniel Tammet (in which case, will you sell me your brain?). For Catalan, just speak Spanish, since literally everyone in Barcelona will speak it. In Czech everyone will speak German and/or English. Staying at a hostel or couchsurfing is the best way to meet people out of the blue, but beyond that, the the bar/club scene which you don't like, or you can also go up to random people at a party at a beach or park without seeming like a weirdo, assuming you have decent social skills; I did that in Berlin with success (found a free place to stay for the night too). Generally you won't meet anyone who's a local and not busy before like 8pm.

blinkeve1826 posted:

-Any better suggestions for Spain-->Berlin than the $50 Ryanair route I found? I like that I'd have a short stopover in Oslo--it's a nice way to fit in another city--but if there is a better option that would allow me to, you know, take a suitcase, that might be better.

-Any other advice/suggestions you may have? Changes I should make? Expectations I should/shouldn't have? I'm all ears.

1. $100 day is generous, $50 is barebones (as Landsknecht said).
2. EasyJet flies directly between Barcelona and Berlin but it's like three times the price. Is the RyanAir layover 5-6 hours? That's long enough to get to Oslo center, walk around for a couple hours, and get back, although it might be worth spending the extra money getting a direct flight.

Your itinerary sounds good. I'd get bored with 6 days in Prague, and there's nothing nearby, so maybe I'd take a day off of that and add it to Berlin, or do something like 4-4-4-4 Barcelona Berlin Prague and add Paris.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 24, 2011

An0
Nov 10, 2006
I enjoy eating After Eights. I also enjoy eating Old El Paso salsa with added Tobasco.
Anybody have any experience travelling to Armenia ?

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

An0 posted:

Anybody have any experience travelling to Armenia ?

My grandma was Armenian so my aunt recently travelled there and cycled around the place. I can ask her. Is there anything specific you want to know? Its quite a poor country and it seems to be one of those places that doesnt know whether its asian or european.

Fists Up fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 25, 2011

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard

Saladman posted:

2. EasyJet flies directly between Barcelona and Berlin but it's like three times the price. Is the RyanAir layover 5-6 hours? That's long enough to get to Oslo center, walk around for a couple hours, and get back, although it might be worth spending the extra money getting a direct flight.

Mind that the train ticket will probably kill a full day of budget. Yeah, the country is that loving expensive. I love the Norwegian natural beauty and countryside, but everything else just makes my wallet cry and I'm from Amsterdam which isn't cheap by any measure, but in Norway everything is twice as expensive (or more).

edit: A great way to meet locals would be to hitchhike between Berlin and Prague.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Edit: doublepost

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 13, 2017

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

GregNorc posted:

I'm going to be gone for ~10 days (5 in Paris, 5 in London)

Is it reasonable to assume I can do this with only a carry on? (eg: 1 backpack + 1 overhead bag)

My plan was to possibly find a laundromat when I arrive in London.

Also, how does one book a Paris to London bus in advance?

Very much doable. I travelled for 2.5 weeks with a single backpack (35L carry-on). I personally bought a small bottle of non-scrub clothing detergent and used wash basins at hostels and borrowed a dryer if I couldn't wait for them to air-dry.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
If you're at all a history enthusiast, and want to get off the beaten track in Berlin, I've always loved the Soviet War Memorial in Treptower Park. Largest memorial of such outside the former USSR.

On another note, I'll be in Reykjavik for the summer solstice (Jónsmessa). Anyone parties or pagan practices afoot?

An0
Nov 10, 2006
I enjoy eating After Eights. I also enjoy eating Old El Paso salsa with added Tobasco.

Fists Up posted:

My grandma was Armenian so my aunt recently travelled there and cycled around the place. I can ask her. Is there anything specific you want to know? Its quite a poor country and it seems to be one of those places that doesnt know whether its asian or european.

Well I rarely enjoy touristy tourism, I did quite a bit of hiking/walking when I was younger, I like churches, and I love Armenian duduk music - so I think I would quite like spending a bit of time in Armenia.

So uhm, I'll take any suggestions ! I haven't yet looked into planning a trip.

I don't speak Armenian or Russian.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

GregNorc posted:

Is it reasonable to assume I can do this with only a carry on? (eg: 1 backpack + 1 overhead bag)

If you have archives read up on this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3075578

tldr: Yes, and lots of people do this, including me. You just tend to get some weird looks though when you fly back to the US. They've always suspiciously asked me if I had all of my bags when I just walk straight out of the international hub without anything.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

GregNorc posted:

Overhead bags can be pretty big. Just get a roll-y suitcase that is designed to fit in the overhead bins. I pretty much always just have one backpack and one overhead bag and I can carry enough for a two week trip without washing clothes easily (unless I'm going somewhere where it's winter), and I change clothes every day etc.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop

My boyfriend has one of these and it's pretty spot on, without lots of wheels and handles to give you extra weight too. Backpacks are generally better for travelling with too, imo, unless it's a really heavy bag, which it won't be.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cabin-Max-Backpack-Approved-massive/dp/B002Q5APX4

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
On the other hand, I can't stand people that use large bags for their carry ons and try to stuff everything into the overhead compartments, just because they can't be arsed to check their bags. I get the travel light thing and that is a ok with me, but you are not alone on the plane and other people might want to use a tiny bit of space too.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Yeah that's really annoying, I wish they'd be more strict with the carry on sizes to be honest.

Traveling light for me is like one non-overstuffed messenger bag, a pair of jeans in the bag (+1 on me), and some t-shirts and underwear for a 'few' days, and a nicer shirt to go out with. I already shower every morning, it only adds a couple more minutes to wash my shirt/underwear in the shower and then hang them up to dry in my locker at the hostel.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
I dunno, I fly Ryanair from London to Kerry pretty often, and spending an extra £30 plus the fiver they charge you just for the privilege of standing in line, plus adding an extra hour/ish on each side of the journey is a big pain in the rear end.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Considering the extra bag or overweight bag charges (or bag charges in general), it's hard to blame people for trying to maximize their carry-on space. I'm facing the problem of having to move my entire life out of Bulgaria in a month's time. On the way over I had one gigantic checked bag (which went overweight and cost me $60), a full carry-on, and a full backpack. Seeing as how I'll be bringing back more than I left with, I'm going to need to check two bags this time. Hopefully it will solve the problem of either being overweight, though, and the fee for an extra bag versus an overweight one is the same on AA/BA.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

elwood posted:

On the other hand, I can't stand people that use large bags for their carry ons and try to stuff everything into the overhead compartments, just because they can't be arsed to check their bags. I get the travel light thing and that is a ok with me, but you are not alone on the plane and other people might want to use a tiny bit of space too.
Since I use a backpack I can usually squeeze it into a spot too small for a rigid rolling bag. I like to think of it as helping out.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I was just about to ask about luggage for a trip and lucky me the topic has been broached.

I'm getting ready for my first trip out of the US/Canada ever, and I need some luggage ideas. The trip is going to be about three weeks in late June starting in Dublin, then to London, and then maybe Spain or the Netherlands still in the air a bit on the last location.

I'll be flying on a stand-by ticket so I'd like to try and carry-on everything if that is possible. I plan on staying in hostels and trying to get hosted as much as I can with coachsurfing.

I was thinking I'd need a day-pack and a main bag, like was suggested.

Also, is there anything crazy going on in late June/early July that I should adjust my trip for? I'm really open to suggestions.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Texibus posted:

I was just about to ask about luggage for a trip and lucky me the topic has been broached.

I'm getting ready for my first trip out of the US/Canada ever, and I need some luggage ideas. The trip is going to be about three weeks in late June starting in Dublin, then to London, and then maybe Spain or the Netherlands still in the air a bit on the last location.

I'll be flying on a stand-by ticket so I'd like to try and carry-on everything if that is possible. I plan on staying in hostels and trying to get hosted as much as I can with coachsurfing.

Also, is there anything crazy going on in late June/early July that I should adjust my trip for? I'm really open to suggestions.

Should be pretty warm around that time. If you have archives, try reading that thread I posted, otherwise I can copy and paste some information from it.

nozz
Jan 27, 2007

proficient pringle eater

GregNorc posted:

https://www.eurolines.co.uk you should compare prices with Eurostar since that would be significantly faster (you will lose out on an entire day with a coach vs 2 hours on a train)

Cheaper options might involve domestic rail/coach to dover, ferry, domestic rail/coach to paris.

ray_finkle
Aug 31, 2001
Laces out, Dan!
I'm planning a two week trip into Europe in July. I've got plans for most of it however I'm looking for somewhere to go July 1 to 7 or 8. I've decided to visit Barcelona first but then was hoping to head in to the French Mediterranean. Does anyone have any tips on where to go? I'd like somewhere with lots of interesting sights to see but also pretty good beaches and nightlife. I hear Nice is a pretty good place to visit as well as Cannes (though Cannes is probably outside my budget).

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all

Texibus posted:

Some couchsurfing advice (I've been doing it in Europe continuously for 5 weeks now): Get a local cell phone. The difference in how easy it is to coordinate with your hosts is just ridiculously out of proportion to how much they cost. And if you stay anywhere for more than one day, having a cell phone is how you get to meet up with your new friends. I really can't recommend it enough. And bring a little more underwear than you can actually get away with - everyone in Europe has their own washing machines, and it's weird to wash your undies every day in the sink when you're staying at someone's house when they own a washing machine. 3-4 pairs is good. An iPod Touch is also crazy useful (especially in proportion to its size).

Other than that, pack light - don't bring anything you won't need to use more or less daily (sewing kits, laundry lines, sleeping bags...) and don't bring anything you can reasonably borrow (shampoo, dishes/flatware, umbrellas, flashlights...). Definitely bring a day pack, but make sure it can fit inside your main pack with the rest of your crap. And if you're couchsurfing, do it first in smaller towns or suburbs - finding hosts in big tourist cities (Rome, Paris, London, Berlin) is hard, and the odds are much more stacked against you if you don't have any references yet.

An0
Nov 10, 2006

ray_finkle posted:

I'm planning a two week trip into Europe in July. I've got plans for most of it however I'm looking for somewhere to go July 1 to 7 or 8. I've decided to visit Barcelona first but then was hoping to head in to the French Mediterranean. Does anyone have any tips on where to go? I'd like somewhere with lots of interesting sights to see but also pretty good beaches and nightlife. I hear Nice is a pretty good place to visit as well as Cannes (though Cannes is probably outside my budget).

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

If you head to Cannes, go to this http://www.plages-electroniques.com/

Cheap, fun, good vibes.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

Neris posted:

My boyfriend has one of these and it's pretty spot on, without lots of wheels and handles to give you extra weight too. Backpacks are generally better for travelling with too, imo, unless it's a really heavy bag, which it won't be.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cabin-Max-Backpack-Approved-massive/dp/B002Q5APX4

This is exactly what I need, but the ONLY ONE AVAILABLE ONLINE is that one on Amazon and it won't get here before I leave (I'd need it in the next week or so). I already contacted the seller about expedited shipping but it doesn't look like they offer it and they're in the UK to boot (I'm in the US). Anyone here happen to have one they want to sell? Or other recommendations for something very very similar, in both capacity and price?

I pulled the trigger and made the flight change, by the way. Now I'm thinking Barcelona-->Palma-->Berlin-->Dresden-->Prague, or something like that. Freaking out a bit, as no one's responding to my couchsurfing requests!

What's the best way to handle SIM cards in Europe? Is it better to just get a different one in each country, or to just pay higher fees in different countries with the SIM card I start out with in the first country?

tzz
May 15, 2005
COLD
Get a different one in each country. Most pre-paid cards don't even have the roaming option (at least in Spain, but if I remember correctly it's the same in Germany).

Mr Scientist
Nov 8, 2003
SWBSMC
I fly into Prague at 4 PM and have a ~24 hour layover there. What are some nice things to do there? Architecture is nice, but I am mostly interested in some off-beat activities.

I will be staying the one night at a hostel. Is it generally easy to find someone to go out with for the night?

I have a Russian name and speak Russian. Is this an issue? I heard people in the Czech Republic don't like Russians--should I just pretend to be from North America? (I don't have much of an accent when I speak English.)

Mr Scientist fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 29, 2011

Fiskenbob
Mar 28, 2007

When we have more time, I'll acquaint you with the various processes of sculptoring. It's a fascinating art to which I devoted many hours of study.

Mr Scientist posted:

I fly into Prague at 4 PM and have a ~24 hour layover there. What are some nice things to do there? Architecture is nice, but I am mostly interested in some off-beat activities.

I will be staying the one night at a hostel. Is it generally easy to find someone to go out with for the night?

I have a Russian name and speak Russian. Is this an issue? I heard people in the Czech Republic don't like Russians--should I just pretend to be from North America? (I don't have much of an accent when I speak English.)

It should be quite easy to find someone to go out with, Prague is a bit of a party town. At least if you're staying in a hostel. Most of them arrange some kind of pub crawl, but they looked like massive sausage fests, when I was there. Talking to some people at the hostel should be no problem, I'll pretty much guarantee someone is going out for the night, and they'll be happy to have you come along, as long as you're not a weird freak.

I don't know how they'll feel about you sounding Russian, but I bet it's not gonna be a problem. Prague has hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of tourists each year and they are used to seeing Russians (and every nationality imaginable) by now. Hell, you might even help get rid of some prejudice at some people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gregarious Ted
Jun 6, 2005
I'm interested in going on the Vatican scavi tour of the tomb of St Peter. The info on the web says you need to email in advance to book a place, but the website hasn't been updated since 2006. Is this still the way to get in on it? Is this tour worth it?