Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Schizoguy posted:

I'm using a netbook with one of those dumb trackpads instead of a mouse (you get used to it), and I've never misclicked, and I've been playing on KGS for years now. And, if you still manage to have trouble looking at your mouse pointer before you click, CGoban3 has an option for a Mouse Anti-Slip System. It seems to me like anyone who asks for an undo in a rated game is running pretty low on excuses.

I have one of those too. I tend to compulsively tap the pad and play with it. I have to take my hand away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xeus
Dec 6, 2005
COPS NEVER LIE
*slurp* *slurrrrp* mmmm cop cock oh God so good in my mouth like this
I gave this a try over the weekend. So far I've found it to be pretty interesting, and the goon community seems very committed to helping out newbies. There really is a ton of beginner material out there on the web too, which I have found very useful in keeping me occupied at work today. I'm currently focusing on reading info about ladders and nets. Are there better areas to review first?

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
When starting out, just play a lot of games. It takes a lot of losses to understand whats going on.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Take a look at Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go's first chapter, I think it's the best thing I've read about ladders.

Which is actually just a big "learn to read moves you gay babby".

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

I asked in this thread and the response was that a targeted recruitment thread in GBS is an acceptable solution. When the thread dies down at some point it would be moved to TG.

I have asked if this thread will remain, and if they say that there should be only one Go thread, then we'll keep this one and I won't bother. But if I'm allowed to place another thread with more info (linking to this one as well), then this thread will not suffer and there will be more interest in the forums. Please let me know if you have any objections to this.

Just FYI, whatever you guys decide you want to do is fine. I can close threads or edit posts or whatever. It seems like this thread is doing well here, so I'm fine with it staying here or with someone making a replacement also in A/T. Yeah, it's not really an A/T thread, but it doesn't make sense to me to move a healthy thread & risk its death. Having a GBS thread that links here is also great-- new people in A/T is good for all of us.

oiseaux morts 1994 you don't seem to have PM's, so if you need anything done you can email me at wizardofeggplant at gmail.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Great, thanks!

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

lost to this guy, gently caress me forever

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Under 15 posted:

lost to this guy, gently caress me forever

you got groused

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Got my Go board, and yunzi stones. Though way to much to pay for 361 stones and a wood rectangle, I'm pretty happy with my purchase.

Edit: As for my progress, I'm getting better. I think I need to work on working on urgency. When is it safe to ignore something? Aside from liberty counting, I never know when I should just say "That's safe for now, let's harass elsewhere" I feel I'm losing because i get caught up in small skirmishes to often and around the late middle game, I'm seriously lacking in support.

The General fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 18, 2011

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

The General posted:

I think I need to work on working on urgency. When is it safe to ignore something? Aside from liberty counting, I never know when I should just say "That's safe for now, let's harass elsewhere" I feel I'm losing because i get caught up in small skirmishes to often and around the late middle game, I'm seriously lacking in support.

It's more of an art than a science, but generally, think about your opponent's most reasonable next move in the region if you don't play there; if it doesn't make you go "oh poo poo", then play somewhere else.

Also, remember that small skirmishes empower both you and your opponent: one side gets solid territory if all goes well, and the other side gets a large wall that grants them a lot of potential territory. You have to decide if continuing the conflict to get your side of that exchange is worth giving your opponent his.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

The General posted:

Got my Go board, and yunzi stones. Though way to much to pay for 361 stones and a wood rectangle, I'm pretty happy with my purchase.

Edit: As for my progress, I'm getting better. I think I need to work on working on urgency. When is it safe to ignore something? Aside from liberty counting, I never know when I should just say "That's safe for now, let's harass elsewhere" I feel I'm losing because i get caught up in small skirmishes to often and around the late middle game, I'm seriously lacking in support.

Low-level players tend to alternate between spectacular greed and insane aggression. If you're playing in either fashion, the right time to tenuki is *never* because if you take one move off, all your poo poo will collapse since you are overextended. Strong reading can help here, since if you can raise the stakes high enough in the area where you are playing, you can be sure your opponent will reply.

A better solution is just to lay off and not get into those kinds of situations in the first place. Look up every sequence you see that gets labeled as "steady" or "patient" and play some of that stuff. If your shapes are strong and your aims are conservative, the urgency of the moves on the board plunges and you will be solid in the middle game. If your opponents are invading the poo poo out of your long extensions, make them two spaces. If you can't hold a two space extension together, make it one space. It's better to play solid in games with low-level players because they are going to do insane things no matter how you play -- if you are solid their play is even more insane by comparison and you have two free hands to punish them with.

Prodigious
May 6, 2007
On an epic quest to find spiky rocks to upgrade my club
bumping with a cool problem

black's marked stones are dead, but he has a nice way to profit by making use of the potential that the dead stones still have left. black to play

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

G2?

If white f2, black h3 and white's 4 stones can't connect after black next plays m1

If white h2, black g1. After f2, throwin at j1 followed by m1 and the 4 stones die again

So I think white h3 and lets you f3 to kill the 3 on the corner

Prodigious
May 6, 2007
On an epic quest to find spiky rocks to upgrade my club

PaulC posted:

G2?

If white f2, black h3 and white's 4 stones can't connect after black next plays m1

If white h2, black g1. After f2, throwin at j1 followed by m1 and the 4 stones die again

So I think white h3 and lets you f3 to kill the 3 on the corner

Exactly, very good!

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
drat. I couldn't read it out in my head after 5 minutes, so I had to open up a sgf editor and play around to see the solution. I simply didn't see the move at g1 when reading in my head. That was fun, though! I definitely need to start doing more go problems. I feel like my reading is pretty sub-par. Did this particular one have a difficulty rating?

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006
So, how's the new effort post coming along?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I have a question about stone placement technique. I'm a new Go player, and reading online I see that some sites say that good Go etiquette requires you to pick a stone up from the bowl using your index and middle fingers, pinching the stone between them and laying it on the board. This sounds like a bunch of pretentious bullshit to me, as I'm not playing with an old-school Go master, I'm playing with my friends in my house. Obviously I can just grab the stone like a barbarian in my own home, but do people actually grab the stones like that in (serious) public play?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

areyoucontagious posted:

do people actually grab the stones like that in (serious) public play?

At a tournament? Almost always. At a club? Probably most of the time.

Unless you have a board with stones that are too small for it, you run the risk of knocking nearby stones if you place stones too differently (although IIRC there's one or two other ways you could do it, I forget).

Also, some people like the intimidating noise you can make when you place stones that way.

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...

areyoucontagious posted:

I have a question about stone placement technique. I'm a new Go player, and reading online I see that some sites say that good Go etiquette requires you to pick a stone up from the bowl using your index and middle fingers, pinching the stone between them and laying it on the board. This sounds like a bunch of pretentious bullshit to me, as I'm not playing with an old-school Go master, I'm playing with my friends in my house. Obviously I can just grab the stone like a barbarian in my own home, but do people actually grab the stones like that in (serious) public play?

A lot of people do this not only because it's tradition, but because it really does make placing the stone on a mostly full board a lot easier. That said, there's no rules about how you hold the stones, so do whatever works for you.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

People hold and place their stones like that because it's honestly the best way. Most people I know use two or three fingers depending on how big their hands are. Helopticor raises the important point of being able to make a lot of noise and slap your stones down on the board. This is a critical part of playing go, since you have to make a lot of noise and talk a lot of poo poo or you won't have as much fun as you could be having.

If you want to talk about some go etiquette, the only thing that is stupendously important, moreso than how you grab or place stones or where you put the first one, is :11tea: KEEP YOUR HANDS OUT OF THE BOWL.:11tea: Rummaging around in the bowl makes a shitload of noise too but it is not a good noise, it's an irritating one. You should also keep in mind that other people have to put their hands in there too. The best practice is to not touch any stones until you have decided your move and you can take it out of the bowl and put it directly on the board, kind of like in chess.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I use the two finger thing, mostly because everybody else does.

Though I hear placing white stones in the black bowl is traditionally a horrible thing to do, so never do that.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
On a similar note, I seem to remember hearing somewhere that it's normal to place stones a little haphazardly, not try to line them up perfectly on the grid. Is that right or did I just hallucinate it?

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

McNerd posted:

On a similar note, I seem to remember hearing somewhere that it's normal to place stones a little haphazardly, not try to line them up perfectly on the grid. Is that right or did I just hallucinate it?

I think I remember reading that the ascetics are better if everything is not perfect, however if they stray too far away I find it hard to accurately see how everything related on the board. So maybe shoot for a happy medium.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

McNerd posted:

I have a habit of ordering and making sure the stones line up and look uniform on the board. 99% people really hate that but that's because they're lazy, sloppy prudes who lack control in all aspects of their blackened, ashen lives.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I slap stones down wherever seems like a good idea at the time.

-Advice from an 18k.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Now that I've reached a wall I'm going to post this. thanks itgo

The General posted:

I slap stones down wherever seems like a good idea at the time.

-Advice from an 18k.

You on KGS or what. You should join the channel

secret volcano lair fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 28, 2011

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

The General posted:

I use the two finger thing, mostly because everybody else does.

Though I hear placing white stones in the black bowl is traditionally a horrible thing to do, so never do that.

I heard at some places in China you get a bucket of both and you just have to deal with it

The General
Mar 4, 2007

PaulC posted:

Now that I've reached a wall I'm going to post this. thanks itgo

You on KGS or what. You should join the channel

I don't know where the channel is. Though I haven't been paying attention if it's been mentioned :/

Edit: Found it. Who reads the OP? Or it's been so long since I've read the OP i've forgotten what's in it.

The General fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 28, 2011

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Only go to SA to request being added to ITGO, that's where people talk mostly

Wrojin
Nov 10, 2008

Quixoticist

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

I have a habit of ordering and making sure the stones line up and look uniform on the board. 99% people really hate that but that's because they're lazy, sloppy prudes who lack control in all aspects of their blackened, ashen lives.
Or you've failed to account for parallax, which makes it look to your opponent as if you're moving the stones off-center.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

I'm going to try to start playing with you guys, mostly just to keep me focused on the game. I'm really bad about not playing for months at a time. I'd really like to break into the single digit kyus, though.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Zero The Hero posted:

I'm going to try to start playing with you guys, mostly just to keep me focused on the game. I'm really bad about not playing for months at a time. I'd really like to break into the single digit kyus, though.

Well, if you come in and give a sustained effort you can get to sdk in less than months at a time :angel:

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Athanos posted:

So, how's the new effort post coming along?

Speaking of which!

As you may or may not have noticed, TG and TGD have switched places: Trad Games Discussion is now the main forum, and TG-Play by Post is a subforum of that. (As it should be.)

So I'd propose again to move this thread to Trad Games. TG(D) is now more visible and I don't see why this thread shouldn't be there.

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Yeah, it's not really an A/T thread, but it doesn't make sense to me to move a healthy thread & risk its death.
Is my main concern.

Really though, Trad Games having a subforum doesn't really make the forum itself any more visible? We've had a steady influx of new players so the thread is certainly doing what we hoped. Plus, past the name, Trad Games doesn't really seem oriented toward much past RPG and Card type games at this point in time. The only active Chess thread on the forums is in SAS. The only chess threads I could search up in TG appear to have died on impact.

Edit: I would definitely like to see a fixing up of the first post, though. Woss stop getting huge or whatever for 5 minutes and fix the OP.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

WuChou posted:

Is my main concern.

Really though, Trad Games having a subforum doesn't really make the forum itself any more visible? We've had a steady influx of new players so the thread is certainly doing what we hoped. Plus, past the name, Trad Games doesn't really seem oriented toward much past RPG and Card type games at this point in time. The only active Chess thread on the forums is in SAS. The only chess threads I could search up in TG appear to have died on impact.

Edit: I would definitely like to see a fixing up of the first post, though. Woss stop getting huge or whatever for 5 minutes and fix the OP.

TG/D used to be a subforum of TG/PBP, which was a subforum of Games. Now TG/D is the subforum of Games, and it has TG/PBP as a subforum. Which also means that you can reach it directly from the main forum index. So yes, it objectively IS more visible, in more than one way.

TG has a pretty active board game thread. It could have two more if the Go and Chess threads were where they actually belong. Really, with the actual Trad Games forum where it belongs now, I don't see any reason not to have this thread over there.

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

uXs posted:

TG/D used to be a subforum of TG/PBP, which was a subforum of Games. Now TG/D is the subforum of Games, and it has TG/PBP as a subforum. Which also means that you can reach it directly from the main forum index. So yes, it objectively IS more visible, in more than one way.

TG has a pretty active board game thread. It could have two more if the Go and Chess threads were where they actually belong. Really, with the actual Trad Games forum where it belongs now, I don't see any reason not to have this thread over there.

It may be more visible than it was before, however it is still less popular, and therefore less viable in my eyes in regards to attracting more people. Also, I am someone who likes board games, but I haven't gone to the trad games forum more than once or twice. I have a hard time believing that someone who has no interest in board games would stumble upon the thread in a forum even I, someone who likes board games doesn't even bother to visit. I am sure moving as many board game threads to trad games as possible would be best for it, but I am thinking about what is best for growing ITGO and the GO community. Tradgames is unlikely to be the place regardless of any promotion it may have received.

edit: grammar although it probably still sucks.

Athanos fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 3, 2011

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

uXs posted:

I don't want to sound too hurtful here but you don't really come across as the most objective judge of what is good for the thread. Your KGS account has been expired for a long time and your last actual game with us was like three years ago. If you would like a go thread in TG, go ahead and make one; maybe it will do OK there, and in any case I won't allow any go thread to die without a fight. Moving this thread to a forum that probably gets about 200 unique hits a day from a forum that likely gets more than a hundred times that seems like a poor idea no matter how you spin it.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
If it helps, I occasionally am interested in Go and I had to bookmark this thread because I can never remember where it lives.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I really don't see what my gaming history has to do with this? :confused:

Anyway, I was just pointing out that with the TG forum swap, I don't see any reason any more to keep this thread here as opposed to there. That said, I'm far too lazy to do anything about it. (Except for these few posts.)

vvv: k, whatever

uXs fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Dudes there was a thread about this. uXs I suggest you read that thread to find out what's going on.

It has already been established thro' community consensus and discussion with mods that this thread will remain. If someone makes another thread, they must link to this one, which is especially welcomed because it directs more traffic to A/T and there is no reason why this thread should be replaced.

A recruitment thread in Trad Games or GBS is welcomed, but if you do please make sure that:

a) it is not written by lovely
b) it is a good, content rich post
c) it links to this thread

o.m. 94 fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jun 4, 2011